Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Question] What component needs to be changed for a possibly fried HDMI output?  (Read 1243 times)

ssj4maikoTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Well, basically, this is not asking for a solution to a problem, but more of a question so I can be prepared for support questions (and be prepared for the price it's gonna cost). I have a GS60 2PC-Ghost (normal)

So, the story behind it: There was a huge thunderstorm yesterday, I was playing with my laptop on my TV not really caring much because it was a laptop so I wouldn't lose my progress by some sudden blackout, then there was this huge BOOM, a degenerate flash filled my vision for an instant, everything turned off (including the laptop), and I decided to take everything from the outlets and go to sleep.

Today I come back from work and checked everything: Router is not working, probably fried, so only mobile internet for now, laptop was fine, TV was fine, BD Player was fine and working on the TV, but HDMI connection from the laptop to the TV was not, connected the cable to the PS3 and to the port the BD Player was using, also not working, so a fried HDMI.

Since I didn't had any other long HDMI cable, too, went to my desktop and plugged the laptop with the monitor: No output, Windows said that to use the project options I need to connect a projector, which means it didn't even detect what was connected to the HDMI port, and just to be sure, tried the same cable and monitor with another laptop, worked fine, and the desktop itself was working, so HDMI output probably got fried and probably the reason why the laptop blacked out too.

Decided to try a hardware intensive game to check if the nvidia card was working, and the game ran fine, so not on internal, Video Card is fine.

So that's why I ask this question, my experience with desktops would say this problem is on either the video card or the motherboard, I want to know what I need to change so I can directly ask the store for a price.

Edit: I think I had an idea to try to support the lack of HDMI, which is to buy a Mini DisplayPort conversor, hope it works as I can't test it since I lack any mDP cable, much less a monitor/TV that supports it. I will still see if I can fix this problem someday though, so any answers are really appreaciated.

ssj4maikoTopic starter

• CORPORAL

and mDP didn't work, guess no HDMI anymore until I fix it...

chc

• MAJOR

Maybe only the HDMJ con is broken but I would suggest you contact MSI RMA for inspection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up