Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GS60 Gaming on battery  (Read 880 times)

pablo96Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
GS60 Gaming on battery
« on: 16-January-16, 16:08:44 »

Hi all, I have an MSI GS60 2QE (GTX970M Model) and I was playing GTA V with details maxed out while on battery (I had to lower down the resolution, as it wouldn't work too well while on battery power with high detail level). I could be playing for around 20-25 minutes. However, later on I read on a forum that doing such an intensive task while on battery can kill your battery.

I suppose that there are some systems to stop this from happening (the graphics card was obviously downclocked, as the game wasn't as smooth as usual), but I am worried that something could have happened to the battery, as the device is new :shocked_anim:

Does anyone have some information regarding whether something can happen to your battery for playing while disconnected from the charger? I am not doing it again, that's for sure, but can anything happen to it for playing?

Thanks!
Marked as best answer by pablo96 on 17-January-16, 13:33:30

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: GS60 Gaming on battery
« Reply #1 on: 16-January-16, 20:31:36 »

Hi all, I have an MSI GS60 2QE (GTX970M Model) and I was playing GTA V with details maxed out while on battery (I had to lower down the resolution, as it wouldn't work too well while on battery power with high detail level). I could be playing for around 20-25 minutes. However, later on I read on a forum that doing such an intensive task while on battery can kill your battery.

I suppose that there are some systems to stop this from happening (the graphics card was obviously downclocked, as the game wasn't as smooth as usual), but I am worried that something could have happened to the battery, as the device is new :shocked_anim:

Does anyone have some information regarding whether something can happen to your battery for playing while disconnected from the charger? I am not doing it again, that's for sure, but can anything happen to it for playing?

Thanks!

Hi pablo96,

Your notebook has a hybrid power system. It draws power from both the AC/DC power adapter and the battery at the same time in order to get the power it needs to run your CPU and GPU at the best performance that your notebook was designed for. This is the way most gaming notebooks are designed nowadays---and it is certainly true of all MSI gaming notebooks. They are not intended to be used away from AC power when you want good gaming performance. And this is why you will notice your battery running down while gaming even when your AC/DC power adapter is connected.

As you've noticed, if you run on battery only, the CPU and GPU will run at a slower speed and you'll need to reduce the quality settings and/or resolution of your game in order to keep a good FPS. This is normal.

The same is true when running from AC alone. If you removed your battery and tried to run from AC only, you will not achieve full performance, either. Even with your battery installed, if it drops below a certain level (30% I think), the performance will be less even though you are connected to AC power.

Ideally, you should begin an important gaming session with a fully charged battery and an AC connection.

As for damage to your battery, I doubt that gaming while running on battery only will harm your battery. The battery should be fine as long as you do not allow it to get too hot---heat is the enemy of Li-ion batteries.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

pablo96Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: GS60 Gaming on battery
« Reply #2 on: 17-January-16, 13:34:04 »

Thank you very much for your reply!

Everything is clear now :) And also glad to know nothing should have happened to the battery
Pages: [1]   Go Up