Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious driver problems with MSI R9 380 4G. Please help!  (Read 1388 times)

dannysillence.blueTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

I really need help as this build has been running for 2 weeks now. Everything is new and updated. The only things that aren't are VGA and BIOS. Lately I've been getting problems with two games that I mostly play. The game that crashes the most is GTA V. I'll focus more on GTA V as I'm more concern as I play that a lot. Crashes are either the game crashing because of a error or lost of display. My monitor is connected to GPU through HDMI. These are unexpected. It would only happen after few minutes of play or hours maybe. I posted on AMD site as well for different answers. One user said to increase GPU power limit to 20, and surprisingly it worked! I didn't get a single crash on GTA V for 6 hours maybe. I'm still eager to find the answer to this problem. I don't feel comfortable increasing the power of the GPU, so any help me great!

GTA V

MSI Driver 15.201.1151.1007 and 15.201.1151.1007 (15.11 beta)
  • Runs at 60FPS
  • Crash is lost of signal (Unsure if this happened)

AMD 15.300.1025.1001 (Crimson Edition 15.12)
  • Runs at 60FPS
  • Crash is lost of signal

AMD 15.301.1201.0 (Crimson Edition 16.1 Hotfix) - Worst driver
  • Run at 60fps but as weather changes or fast pace driving it drops to 50-40.
  • Crash is lost of signal

Just cause 3

Unsure which drivers ran fine but the game still crashes but rarely. Today I played for hours without a single crash even restarting the game didn't trigger anything.

The AMD Crimson Edition 16.1 Hotfix really makes game run bad at 30-20fps.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
16GB RAM HyperX (Kingston)
Asus Z97-A Motherboard
MSI AMD R9 380 4G Graphics Card
EVGA 600W PSU
CPU Fan Cooler Master hyper 212 evo CPU
« Last Edit: 20-January-16, 07:27:07 by dannysillence.blue »

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: 20-January-16, 03:16:51 »

Have you been monitoring temperatures? Have you been doing any monitoring at all?
I would probably suggest using MSI Afterburner and enabling logging so that you can play a game and monitor what is happening with the GPU. Once it crashes you can go back and look at your MSI Afterburner log and see if you can find something that might have caused the crash.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 20-January-16, 19:11:09 »

I really wouldn't of thought that the crashes were caused by overheat but worth a look. Surprisingly yet annoying I didn't get a crash. One log shows I played for 3 hours and by looking at the GPU temperature, nothing look out of the ordinary. I did second run to see if anything would happen, but nope. Also to note I ran GPU without having the power limit set to 20.

16:06:20 and 18:41:27 are ones to look at.

* GPU readings.zip (471.75 kB - downloaded 93 times.)

I'll keep on monitoring to see if anything happens though.
« Last Edit: 21-January-16, 02:13:13 by dannysillence.blue »

WaltC

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 20-January-16, 21:06:03 »

From what I have read on these games, both have well-known problems with bugs.  I have the same card and ~200 installed games from recent releases to 30 years old and I'm not seeing your problems. I don't have these games (as neither is my cup of tea) so I can't comment directly.  It's too bad you don't have some other games installed so that you could compare.
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC UEFI bios 2.5
Corsair CX-750M PSU (62a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz, auto voltage set, 1.256V
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite @3033MHz 16 15 15 15 36 1T, Gear Down, Auto voltage set 1.355V
Stock AMD cooler (95W version--thanks AMD!)
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot:Samsung EVO 850 256GB (UEFI boot partition)
RAID 0: 2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
ST2000DM SATA III 2TB capacity
AoC Q2778VQE 2560x1440 monitor
AMD RX-480 8GB
Realtek 1250 sound w/Nahimic
Win10x64 UEFI
Secure Boot ON

**It is well-known that I don't make mistakes, and so if you encounter a mistake in anything I have written then you can be certain that I did not write it...;D

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 20-January-16, 22:13:29 »

Quite irritating. I do have other games but they aren't heavy as GTA V or Just Cause 3. I guess I'll have to leave it for now till something pops up. Thanks for replies tho!

douglasmatthewstewart

• CORPORAL
« Reply #5 on: 21-January-16, 10:35:12 »

Two things:

First, do not use Crimson. It doesn't work. I've talked extensively, and in detail, over at overclock.net about the problems it causes. Btw, it doesn't uninstall properly either so it conflicts with just about everything. Uninstall with DDU and then run CCleaners registry tool. Afterwards, manually remove the registry entries that will reappear after reboot (because try will reappear along with the folders and the exe)

Check hour system ram usage. There are parts of Just Cause 3 that use over 10gb!

There are a few more things I could suggest (as I play both of the games) but if need more specifics on the crashes and system behaviors.

What are the rest of the system specs? That does matter. I'm in the mobile app and it's not showing me the thread once I try to reply.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 21-January-16, 13:58:30 »

Well I already got other essential specs on this thread. Others are SSD 120 Samsung EVO 850, Western Digital Blue 1TB and Running on 64-bit Windows 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up