Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GP62-6QE Leopard Pro with Samsung 950 Pro Booting Problem  (Read 9059 times)

donny.fauzanTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

I've just recently bought MSI GP62-6QE, chose it above Asus' ROG lineup and Acer Nitro series STRICTLY because the product page in msi.com advertise aggresively that the product SUPPORTS M.2 PCIe NVME SSD cards.

I than bought the notebook along with THE BEST available NVME SSD card, that is Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe NVME SSD _ assuming that MSI is reputable enough to support popular products.

The SSD works FINE, as Data Drive.. It was detected in Windows 10 and running smoothly. But after I clone the OS to the SSD, trying to boot on it.. it turns out that the SSD was NOT detected in the BIOS as a PCI-e SSD even though i just updated the BIOS to the latest version there is (released today February 4th, 2016). It's also no where to be selected in the boot options. Tried many settings suggested by good people in the forum, nothing works.

I hereby attach the corresponding screen captures..

1 - System Information (New BIOS installed)
2 - Storage Information (PCI SSD listed as empty)
3 - Intel Rapid Storage - Drive List (With RAID mode turned on instead of AHCI)
4 - Boot Option - Still no SSD found to be set as booting drive (Also with booting mode UEFI with CSM)
5 - Windows 10 - SSD Detected as data disk and working fine. Still can not boot from it though.
6 - Amazing benchmark, if only I can load my OS from this drive, it would be blazing fast. Now, it's still on the HDD so it takes so much time to boot T_T

I do believe it's just a firmware problem, and I hope guys in MSI will work something out soon. It is my FIRST experience with MSI, I hope i would not be dissapointed.

RW3

• MAJOR
  • Go hawks
Re: MSI GP62-6QE Leopard Pro with Samsung 950 Pro Booting Problem
« Reply #1 on: 15-February-16, 02:29:35 »

Hi! I have seen many people talking about this, and it is because msi doesn't support it.
However, msi guy said they will look into this issue. I guess they probably will come out some BIOS solution in the near future.

gprp

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 18-February-16, 03:42:55 »

I have MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro that I purchased a month ago .

I have the same problem with Samsung 950 Pro 128Gb . The BIOS doesn't detect SSD despite the fact that Win 10 shows that SSD is detectible in Disk Management .
This is extremely frustrating since MSI either should've been honest with the clients to advise  that there is a potential problem that causes BIOS not to detect the SSD or alternatively to find a solution to the problem .

I am from Australia and I've contacted a local tech support that endorsed in writing the installation of the Samsung 950 Pro on my laptop ( for warranty purposes)  . Here we call it unethical business practices . The above-mentioned SSD isn't a cheap product  and frankly I wouldn't buy it if I knew that there is an issue with MSI laptops .

It looks like the only way to resolve this situationis to contact Consumer Affairs to deal with MSI .

Not very happy to be honest .

msi.de

• PRIVATE E-2

I have the same problem with my PE60 6QEi781 and a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 3: The BIOS doesn't recognize it and Linux neither.

I called support and they told me to I updated the BIOS and then to change AHCI to RAID mode and then back.

But at the end the gave me the tip "By the way ,we suggest you to use SSD with the brand of Sandisk or PLDS or TOSHIBA or WESTERN DIGITAL".

This would be probably my first and LAST experience with MSI. They promise what they don't support. The computer had originally 3 years guarantee with turned out to be two. And NVMe Support was one reasons to buy this laptop.

Now I would buy a slower SSD and see if I can boot Linux from there. Does anyone successfully done this with other SSD?

Cheers!

Antonio

msi.de

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 24-February-16, 00:02:41 »

MSI technical support just sent me some compatible SSDs:

SYS SSD,GEN3 SATA,M.2-2280 B+M KEY,128GB,_,HYNIX/HFS128G39MNC-3310A
 SYS SSD,PCIe GEN3x4 NVMe,M.2-2280 M-KEY,128GB,_,SAMSUNG/MZVPV128HDGM
 SYS SSD,PCIe GEN3x4 NVMe,M.2-2280 M-KEY,256GB,_,TOSHIBA/THNSN5256GPU7
 SYS SSD,PCIe GEN3x4 NVMe,M.2-2280 M-KEY,128GB,_,TOSHIBA/THNSN5128GPU7
 SYS SSD,GEN3 SATA,M.2-2280 B+M KEY,256GB,_,TOSHIBA/THNSNJ256G8NY
 SYS SSD,GEN3 SATA,M.2-2280 B+M KEY,128GB,_,HYNIX/HFS128G39MNC-3510A
 SYS SSD,PCIe GEN3x4 NVMe,M.2-2280 M-KEY,512GB,_,SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL

They should work with the MSI PE60 6QE laptop. They still have to answer me if the laptop can boot from these SSDs.

msi.de

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 24-February-16, 03:49:10 »

Support has just answered that those SSD are bootable. I will buy the last one and test it.

michael.orman

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 25-February-16, 23:15:03 »

Same problem here.  Can see/use the NVMe drive from Windows 10 (booting off existing SATA disk), but so far only as a data disk.  I've tried updating the BIOS and every permutation of AHCI/RAID mode, UEFI/CSM boot mode, and Secure boot BIOS settings I have read about elsewhere (including disabling secure boot, and deleting secure boot keys).  Nothing seems to change. 

You would think this could be resolved with a BIOS update, but it's like the Intel RST driver baked into the BIOS doesn't want to see the NVMe SSD.  Samsung Magician 4.9.5 software says the firmware on the SSD itself is up-to-date, so I don't know what else to try.  MSI support site FAQ's are VERY brief and seem to pretend as though "it should just work, if you do x, y, and z..."  :(

@msi.de - Looking forward to the results of your tests.

MSI PE60-6QE-054US
Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe 512GB

RW3

• MAJOR
  • Go hawks
« Reply #7 on: 26-February-16, 02:37:43 »

Hi ! msi don't support on this SSD but I heard that they are working some BIOS solution to make it compatible to msi laptop.

msi.de

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 29-February-16, 09:01:11 »

The SSD Samsung 850 PCIe GEN3x4 NVMe,M.2 with 512GB works without any issues with my laptop PE60. It is recognized by the BIOS and Ubuntu boots from there.

Hi Michael,
Windows must be able to boot from a SSD if the BIOS sees the SSD and the partions are UEFI: https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-win10-from-samsung-950-pro-nvme-on-superserver

What model is your SSD? When it is 950, it don't work with the laptop PE60.

Cheers!

johncarmark

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I found tarylljackson have boot from Samsung 950 Pro on GE72 6QF.

I didn't try it because my 950 Pro is in delivery.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=266787.0

johncarmark

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Some Alienware users said 950 Pro is only bootable on Alienware when:
1. Data transfer mode: RAID (NOT AHCI)
2. BIOS: UEFI SECURE ON (NOT LEGACY or UEFI OFF)

michael.orman

• PRIVATE E-2

Well I finally have the 950 Pro NVMe booting to Windows 10 on the PE60-6QE.  

Not all that complicated really, but I'm posting this in case it might help any other MSI PE60 owners.  Apologies for such a long explanation, but I want to be explicit after many hours spent following rabbit holes and reading again and again that "it just won't work until MSI updates the BIOS".  It's just not true.  I'm running my system on the 950 Pro now and holy cow is it fast.  Before I re-installed anti-virus and a bunch of other things, I could see my Win10 desktop within about 5 seconds (autologin enabled, no updates pending, etc. etc.).  Of course other things continue to load in the background before the boot process actually settles, but it was SO COOOOL to see it get to that point so fast!

@msi.de your research and comments have been very valuable to me in this forum, but I have to contradict your last statement in this thread.  To be clear, I'm using Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512 GB NVM Express, M.2 slot, PCI-e bus.  Model: MZ-VKV512 , Model Code: MZ-V5P512BW.

Basically the UEFI/BIOS *does* see the SSD drive, although it won't list the hardware ANYWHERE under the PCIe or AHCI/RAID disk screens.  In the end it ONLY indicates it is there/recognized by listing the new/2nd 'Boot Manager' as a bootable partition selectable in the BIOS Boot config screen.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...  please read below... and this is the CONDENSED version (!) :) .

Let me back up and tell you what I started with:
 - Brought the laptop home from MicroCenter (late February) - PE60-6QE-054US
 - Booted to Win10 on the included HGST 1 TB HDD (all just fine, yadda yadda)
 - Shutdown & installed the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB
 - Booted to HDD environment again.  I could see the 950 Pro in Windows just fine, as aux/data drive (un-initialized, un-allocated of course).
 - BTW, no special driver update required for basic drive access in the OS (Windows already had the standard Intel NVMe driver installed), but you can get better performance by updating to Samsung's driver (later)

So I let Disk Management initialize the drive, and downloaded Samsung's Migration Tool to clone it over.  Samsung's Tool cloned it in about 15 minutes, BUT after examining the clone with DiskPart and Disk Management, I could see that it missed some of the original hidden partitions, and the WinRE & MSI Recovery partitions were either missing or not in the same order on the SSD.  Not good enough, try again.  

After reading more advice online (sorry I can't remember where) to select a different cloning option, I then used MiniTool's Partition Wizard to do the cloning (partitionwizard dot com), and this time it worked great.  Reboot required of course, but MiniTool picked up where it left off on boot up and handled everything beautifully.  Very cool and pretty speedy for a free product.

Then, WITHOUT removing the HGST HDD (which is typically a no-no after cloning bootable system disks, but I did it anyway):
 - I rebooted to BIOS, went to the Boot section
 - Went into "UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities" at the bottom (don't confuse with *USB* boot drive BBS menu in case you have one connected)
 - Both the original and new Boot Manager options were listed  (Yay!)
 - Switched the FIRST bootable disk selection from "Boot Manager (HGST...)" to the other NEW one now listed there as simply "Boot Manager".  (this second, 'unlabeled' one is the Boot volume on the SSD)
 - (Note the existing "Boot Manager (HGST..." title will look different if you have a different brand/model conventional HDD)
 - Now set the other (priority 2 boot disk) to DISABLED, or it will still try to boot first (the BIOS still enumerates the HDD as Disk0 and the SSD as Disk1 in Windows Disk Mgmt when it boots from the SSD)
 - Saved BIOS settings & reboot system
 - I was now booting from the 950 Pro!

Things I ruled out as I went along (frustratingly):
 - The FIRST time I cloned the HDD to the SSD, and booted from the SSD, Windows said on the black boot-up screen (MSI BIOS logo still showing) that it was performing some Repair functions, but I couldn't tell what exactly it was doing, and it was done very quickly, and then it still worked, and booted me into Windows on the SSD, so I didn't care at that point.  When I re-did everything from scratch later (a couple times), no Repair notification popped up.
 - For me, manipulating various BIOS/UEFI settings had NO effect on the outcome - in fact I'm still running off the 950 Pro on 'Setup defaults' BIOS settings, except for selecting the boot drive/volume as above.  I read a LOT of advice on what need to be set in the BIOS to make this thing work - and none of it worked (again, my experience on a PE60-6QE).  (e.g., switching from AHCI to RAID, disabling Secure Boot, deleting Secure Boot Keys, enabling CSM compatibility, standing on my head, etc. etc.)
 - Early on, I did update the BIOS to the next available version but it didn't seem to make any difference in the PCIe/AHCI drive visibility.
 - Looking back, Ultimately I should have physically removed the conventional HDD from the system (temporarily) after I was done cloning, because it caused problems when I went to reset the system OS on the SSD back to MSI factory image (basically the recovery program re-imaged the wrong drive, and somehow broke both Windows installations in the process).  I was able to repair the HDD OS (Windows PC Reset in WinRE) and start over again, but wasted a lot of time in the process.
 - For those who aren't starting with an existing Windows installation that you can clone, I assume you could proceed 'blindly' with a clean install, but you may need to obtain the right PCIe/NVMe controller driver (either slipstreamed or the pseudo-F6 method) to see the drive and finish the installation.  Or, maybe install Windows to a visible SATA drive, and then clone it over later as above.
 - And in case you're wondering, I haven't received any Windows Activation notifications or issues through all of this activity (but maybe that's typical for Win10 Home, MSI OEM license).

That's it.  Hope that helps someone else who is pulling their hair out over this.  I almost never post in forums like this, so if you have any questions I am happy to answer them, but give me a little time to get back to you.

On the 950 Pro retail box is the (perhaps not so original) marketing slogan: "Future performance delivered today".  For once I agree, thank god (or whoever) they finally developed a 'pro-sumer' product with a huge improvement on the hard drive bottleneck, especially compared to standard SSD drives on SATA-based controllers.  And not a moment too soon.  Not to sound like a sellout, but I'm sold!  What a great way to blow $300 on an upgrade - as long as it f*cking WORKS :)

marek.nadvornik

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, im planing to buy GP62 6QE, together with SAMSUNG SM951 128GB NVMe..

Is the issue solved, and can i use it as BOOTable primary disk ? thx

chc

• MAJOR

Hi, im planing to buy GP62 6QE, together with SAMSUNG SM951 128GB NVMe..

Is the issue solved, and can i use it as BOOTable primary disk ? thx
According to the reply#4 of this topic, it seems SM951 is on the support list and can be one of the SSDs that pre-assembled with GP62 6QE.

arbaruk

• PRIVATE E-2

I got my Samsung ssd 850 EVO m.2 500GB working as boot partition in my new GP62 6QF Leopard Pro (from now I’ll call it Zerg) without problems I hope this can help some of you guys

IMPORTANT... this can frack up your warranty or something else if you are not careful, do it as your own responsibility
here is what i did
Installed ssd m.2 module carefully
got the same problems that you all got with the bios
…bios recognizing the ssd as a new hdd but not showing in the boot list

work around

I started windows 10 and double check that it recognized the new m.2 module, was there
I cloned the c: hdd partition into the new m.2 module using Samsung data migration software (idk if this support another bands but there a plenty of cloning software in the net)
turned off Zerg
I take out the original hdd (1 Tb) and started Zerg checking the bios, now the new m.2 module was there in the boot list.
I started windows and voila!! now we are talking Zerg... now is a real leopard
meanwhile i connected the 1tb hdd to my desktop and using easyUS partition master FREE i deleted all the volumes and partition from the original hdd to leave it blank (this was the only way to delete it all, yo can not doit using windows regular tools)
i connected the hdd to Zerg again and from windows I formatted it and created a new volume now Zerg has 1.5 Tb in total a big storage "slow" hdd and I’m happy as...

good luck guys… Greetings from Chile

johan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #15 on: 07-February-17, 10:44:41 »

MSI Leopard GP72 2RD with a 1TB spindle HDD, what were the system builders at MSI thinking? Naturally, an SSD upgrade was in order for the 5x MSI laptops I bought. So I ordered 5x Transend SSD370 512GB units, which are really matured in the market and with the SSD370 series being one of the very few MLC -based models left in that particular price bracket and having used it in various other builds I assumed it was a safe model to go with. Get this... For some reason 4 out of the 5 units can't get through the Windows 10 installation. I tried retail, anniversary, MSDN, Technet ISO's but ended up cloning the installation from the 1 unit that did manage to succeed. MSI can forget about any future business...
Pages: [1]   Go Up