Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI Notebooks Are Ready For the VR Generation!  (Read 11429 times)

yf.wang2015Topic starter

• CORPORAL
MSI Notebooks Are Ready For the VR Generation!
« on: 05-February-16, 05:07:04 »

Do you know that Virtual Reality Model have become more and more popular in 2016? If you are familiar with the CES exhibition, you might know that VR experience was the hottest topic at CES 2016.

Most of the VR solution companies at the CES 2016 used MSI Gaming Notebooks for their VR live demo

One thing you have to know is that most of the VR companies at CES 2016 used MSI gaming notebooks as their demo platform. This most seen one is the MSI GT80 with the overclockable Intel Core 17-6820HK and NVIDIA GTX980 graphics cards under MXM SLI mode. You can see this platform in both MSI and HTC VIVE’s VR experience demo zone.
At Intel booth, you would discover another platform, the MSI GT72S, also with the overclockable Intel Core 17-6820HK, but only one NVIDIA GTX980 graphics card with desktop level performance.
It is suggested that notebooks with above two specifications are the best standard to experience the VR.

However, MSI GS60 and GS70 with Intel Core i7-6700HQ and Nvidia GTX970M graphics card are sufficient enough to demo VR equipments. You could see that these two platforms were used in some VR demo zones to demonstrate, for example, 3Glasses D2 VR.  

HTC VIVE VR, the best one but also the heaviest loading one!
At present, HTC VIVE is the VR equipment that provides the most true-to-life virtual reality experience. It’s quiet reasonable since it is a whole new technology and it will help stimulate the growth of the gaming notebook market.

I saw many VR experience comments from different media and all suggested that the HTC VIVE Pre Kits of HTC VIVE provided the most real virtual reality experience. MSI currently has a HTC VIVE develop kit. We have been tested it in our MSI gaming lab.

The program to try the basic virtual reality experience of HTC VIVE VR is an underwater world environment. Use a MSI GT80 TITAN SLI with 2x GTX980 graphics to try this program, the visual refresh rate of the HTC VIVE is 90Hz. The high demand makes what you see smooth and true-to-life. However, it is also the reason that it is a hardware eating program. When running the program, you can monitor what you see inside the VR headset on the GT80’s built-in display.

Basic standard for VR experience: GS and GE series with Core i7 6700HQ and GTX970M graphics
Not all VR kit needs top level platform and the highest budget. Some VR devices have less hardware demand and shall still work fine with Full HD resolution. Some VR kits even have lower resolutions, making accessing the VR experience easier, running faster and becoming more popular.
For middle performance level VR kits, I would like to recommend GS60/GS70/GS72 or GE62/GE72 with Intel Core i7 6700HQ and GTX970M graphics. Since, based on the CES 2016 experience, many demonstrate their VR kits on MSI GS60, GS70 and GE62 with above specs. For gamers and power users who want to taste and try out the VR within a more reasonable budget, these models are good to start with.

Why MSI notebooks deliver the best VR experience?
But, why these companies all decided to choose MSI gaming notebooks as their VR demo platform? The Cooler Boost 3 design on MSI GS and MSI GE62/72 series might be the reason. The Cooler Boost 3 consists of 2 fans, the thermal system is split into two, the GPU and the CPU cooling, and each with two high efficiency heatpipes (a total of 4 heatpipes). It is considered the best thermal solution you can find in the market on slim notebooks.

The VR device will use up all platform performance and drive CPU and GPU to the highest loading. Therefore, when using other slim and cheaper notebooks with only 2 heatpipes, even with the high Core i7 and GTX980M specification, you shall discover that the clock drops very often and the VR experience is not smooth at all. When the VR experience lags, the uncomfortable dizziness will strike you in a minute. That is why a better cooling design is extremely important. The highest SPEC. is not the only requirement for a good VR experience.

Choose MSI gaming notebooks to enjoy your better VR experience in 2016!
Using MSI GS series and GE series with Core i7 6700HQ and GTX970M graphics for VR devices, you can easily start the VR experience and have great first impression on the virtual reality world with better and smoother performance. It is going to be good enough even with OCULUS Rift kit. That's why most VR gaming kit vendors keep choosing MSI gaming notebooks as their demo platform in different shows!

Top Choice

Recommend CPU

Recommend GPU

VR Set Ready

GT80

Core i7 6820HK OC

GTX980 / SLI

HTC VIVE VR

GT80

Core i7 6820HK OC

GTX980M SLI

HTC VIVE VR

GT72

Core i7 6820HK OC

GTX980

HTC VIVE VR

Basic Models

Basic Standard CPU

Basic standard GPU

Suitable VR set

GT80

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX980M / SLI

Other VR kits

GT80

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M / SLI

Other VR kits

GT80

Core i7 6799HQ

GTX965M SLI

Other VR kits

GT72

Core i7 6820HK

GTX980M

Other VR kits

GT72

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

GS72

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

GS70

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

GS60

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

GE72

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

GE62

Core i7 6700HQ

GTX970M

Other VR kits

« Last Edit: 05-February-16, 12:29:35 by yf.wang2015 »

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR
« Reply #1 on: 15-February-16, 00:52:16 »

This helps a lot, because I also think only HTC VIVE need very critical condition hardware to play, I saw 3Glasses VR could use GS70 with GTX970M to play smoothly!
« Last Edit: 15-February-16, 07:54:42 by BlueAlexFPS »

Work in Computer Industry
GS60 as working laptop
GT72 as home entertainment
PS4 to play NBA2K, MLB The Show & NFS racing games with 27" DELL 4K Display
Love to play FPS games, racing games and NBA/MLB games
Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard and CORSAIR M65 FPS mouse
Dynaudio MC15 sound system in living room
Edifier C3 2.1 channel sound system in computer room

airfkimo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 15-February-16, 05:13:01 »

i hope i can have one!!

RX-8

• MAJOR
  • 0-Post Bumper
« Reply #3 on: 15-February-16, 05:49:40 »

Cool stuff.
I want to use it to play MINECRAFT!!! When can I buy it??
But I guess I would be scared to death by those creepers.
Have installed Help Desk inside your system? Find it on Utility webpage of your product website.
Use it to export your system info and share with others so that everyone can help you more quickly and precisely:biggthumbsup:

anitalin

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 15-February-16, 06:37:13 »

I can't wait for it. VR I am coming.

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR
« Reply #5 on: 15-February-16, 06:47:01 »

This helps a lot, because I also think only HTC VIVE need very critical condition hardware to play, I saw 3Glasses VR could use GS70 with GTX970M to play smoothly!
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]

Sorry, this seems to be GS60 not GS70, but it's same SPEC. asa I said.

GS60 as working laptop

Dylan

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 16-February-16, 00:19:10 »

Wow, VR~~~~
I wanna play it!:rolleyes_anim:

fuilares

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 16-February-16, 01:29:05 »

Good to hear that my Ge72 2qf is ready for VR :)

gk2377

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #8 on: 16-February-16, 05:08:31 »

[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
To play games with VR technology is the most wanted this year, and for sure the slim+powerful GS70 is way too convenient for players!

livingtheworld

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 16-February-16, 05:50:31 »

That's right, cooling your monster is crucial in order to avoid any unwilling drops!

dennyli7855

• CORPORAL
« Reply #10 on: 16-February-16, 07:33:23 »

Honestly, I've tried so many brands and finally thought of  the best partner with VR this technology is MSI, that has the most hardcore and powerful gaming machines.
Good Job, MSI

eddylu

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 16-February-16, 09:34:02 »

Oh my god VR!!!!!! I'll consider buying it if it has VR, that's terrific!!

aaronahow

• CORPORAL
« Reply #12 on: 18-February-16, 03:01:29 »

It is a great combine of technology......^^

w.husser

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 19-February-16, 16:04:51 »

Hello,

my notebook MSI NTB GT80S NVIDIA GTX980M SLI not working with Oculus Rift DK2.

Once I connect the two USB cable, the spectacles hits short and logs of Windows again. And the registration or deregistration process on Windows repeats itself. Here, the light on the motion sensor hits always on and off. (As if there is always a power interruption are)

In Oculus Configuration Utility always change the message.
Only everything is OK. After No HDMI Detected, Tracker Connected. HMD powered off, check HDMI connection.

yf.wang2015 you have an advice for me?

w.husser

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 19-February-16, 16:58:40 »

"Oculus VR has released new system requirements for the Oculus Rift and now needs four USB ports instead of the two previously. Of these three have the standard 3.0 match and a standard 2.0. About the background is not known."

My MSI has 3 x 3.0 and 2 x 3.1 connectors usb.

superkevin0725

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 22-February-16, 01:40:41 »

I always thought that you need a GTX980 graphic card to run VR. After reading this, I found out  I'm wrong. Thanks for posting.

dwputs

• CORPORAL
« Reply #16 on: 25-February-16, 04:04:37 »

Couldn't wait to experience VR on MSI nb!!

danygia

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #17 on: 09-March-16, 19:37:20 »

I have a gt80 titan 2qe sli 038it, it have a 980m sli but a 4th generation CPU (I7 4720HQ) can i use HTC Vive ?

I also used steamVR performance tool and i had the result in the picture but i'm afraid test is not reliable.p

paulatoohey

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #18 on: 10-March-16, 00:22:36 »

Strange mixed messages from the Oculus VR. Basically the compatibility program thinks all M series GPUs are always on Optimus, but my understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that the Optimus selection is not present in the later models you have to phsyically switch between graphics with a full reboot of the notebook. I am very much interested where this technology is going and the fact that these 'bright people' making all these gadgets think we are all dripping in monies to just go out and buy a full notebook just to satisfy 1 item...
I want to know about the Microsoft Hololens too and whether that will be something to look at.

Microsoft HoloLens release date, rumours, specs & pricing: Microsoft announces HoloLens emulator for devs

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/24780/microsoft-hololens-release-date-rumours-specs-pricing-3#specs

I have the GT72S 6QE and I get see this message under Oculus VR compatibility recommendations.
*This GPU requires a Mini DisplayPort adapter. Click here to view a compatible adapter.

Please note that mobile graphic cards (i.e. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M) utilizing Optimus Technology are not supported.

2. Use a different computer that has an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD 290 graphics card equivalent or greater and meets all of our recommended specifications.
3. Purchase a new computer certified by Oculus to meet Rift's recommended system specifications. To view those options, click here.
« Last Edit: 10-March-16, 07:30:55 by paulatoohey »
MSI GT72S 6QE-038AU

gk2377

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #19 on: 14-March-16, 14:19:32 »

To play games with VR technology is the most wanted this year, and for sure the slim+powerful GS70 is way too convenient for players!

MSI France had post a video about MSI Vortex demo with VIVE, check this out

https://www.facebook.com/MSIFrancePortables/videos/1114970485221319/

jasminehuang76

• SERGEANT
« Reply #20 on: 23-March-16, 07:57:57 »

Never expected laptop is able to link with VR. MSI laptop is really powerful...GT80 was already such a monster, now even become a furious beast! As far as I know msi is the only vendor which HTC cooperates with, no wonder HTC chose msi!! When it comes to gaming, it comes to msi!!!

Buzzlightyear

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #21 on: 23-March-16, 08:12:20 »

GT80 with 980 graphic card is the best choice for VR experience!!

seanchu

• SERGEANT
« Reply #22 on: 24-March-16, 02:58:32 »

VR is hot topic this year, next time i will go to MSI booth to feel VR experience
;D

Hower

• SERGEANT
« Reply #23 on: 24-March-16, 06:08:51 »

I have tried HTC Vive in exhibition, the experience is really good, like you are really in the environment, and no dizzy feeling.  
Then I found that they demo with msi GT80!!!  Amazing that NB can support such heavy loading VR.

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR
« Reply #24 on: 10-May-16, 01:42:54 »

I would like to update some info for all, this article was wrote after CES show, at that moment, many VR kit still play smooth with GTX970M, even OCULUS DK2 with GS60/GS70 works fine.
Since OCULUS Rift final version raise up it's SPEC. request, so I believe both HTC VIVE VR and OCULUS Rift VR needs GTX980 and Core i7 4820HK to play their gear smoother and stable over 90FPS. For other mainstream but not famous VR gear, I think many of them still could use GTX980M/GTX970M play, but of course, GTX980 is the best solution on mobile at this moment.

GS60 as working laptop
Pages: [1]   Go Up