Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z170A Gaming M5 Integrated Graphics Flicker, Artifacts, Black Screens  (Read 8104 times)

Re-engineerTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Since updating BIOS v 1.0 to latest version, 1.8, was top priority to boot with installed RAM at XMP settings and install Windows 7 successfully on two RAID0 SSDs, I did not notice the issues I am having with onboard graphics until after the update.

All the issues occurs identically on two, quite different monitors, one having an HDMI connection, a Pavilion22bw, 1920x1080, the other having a DVI port, a Samsung Syncmaster 2343, 2048x1152. The issue occurs whether connected to the HDMI or the DVI port on the motherboard using different cables and an adapter when necessary.

The first issue I refer to as artifacts are elongated white lines, plump in the middle, appearing to race across screen horizontally at random intervals. Their occurance on the vertical plane tends to group the majority of activity on the lower half of screen but not exclusively. The time the issue appears begins after POST when display is detected and screen is still basically black just before the Intel RAID GUI appears. The screen returns to black and they appear again until UEFI BIOS display is shown. 

For the most part there is no problem with the UEFI BIOS interface though occasionally I detect a slight shakiness or shimmering (Issue #2) near the bottom of the display when the UEFI BIOS first starts then it goes away.This shimmering effect also occurs briefly and rarely at times when Windows desktop appears then goes away. 
Back to the first issue, The artifacts continue to appear, less of them now and they are smaller, during the black screen period from UEFI BIOS to Windows startup screen. I have not seen these artifacts while booted into Windows but I have not run any graphics intensive programs other than WEI and Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool.(passed successfully)

(Testing is an ongoing process and will include other tests OCCT, furmark, FSX etc.. and later with A GTX 770 installed)

The Third issue is complete screen blackouts, usually brief, and they tend to occur in Windows when a notification message appears above the notification area. 

While running Memorytest 86 (latest version) the screen frequently blacked out randomly for momentary periods and long periods of time. Oddly, this only occured during tests 1 thru 8, tests 9 and 10 ran without screen blackouts.(no errors in MemTest, 1 pass in 1 hour 30 minutes @ 3000MHz and a 4.3GHz CPU freq)

Will try other bootable programs such as Hirens boot CD, Mini Part Wizard, Acronis etc.. to see how they behave as I am still testing these issues.These programs will likely involve a fourth issue having to do with XHCI hand off in USB settings as I will need a functioning mouse and keyboard. In the first four attempts at installing Windows 7, two of those prior to BIOS update, I had no USB mouse or keyboard despite having them installed in the top two USB 2.0 ports and, having UEFI BIOS USB setting set for Windows installation. After a CMOS reset I got them back.

Fourth issue. Occasionally a reboot command from windows puts the BIOS in Neverland with no display until the power button is pushed momentarily then windows boots as if nothing happened, as it should because the problem is not with Windows.(Debug LED shows 62 in Neverland).

Will continue to nurse this board along maybe finally RMA it if the video issue worsens and/ or is not fixable through a BIOS update. 99.9 percent of the time I use a graphics card and if the issue is isolated to IGD then the postage may not be worth an RMA.

But, I have not come across such a challenging board since overclocking an Athlon Xp-M 2600+ on a Gigabyte AMD 7NNXp, and later a DX48BT2, which STILL likes to reboot loop if you don't treat it exactly as it likes to be treated. 

I,m more of a problem solver than a gamer and a perfectly running computer with a decent overclock gets put on a shelf when i'm tired of playing with it and I move on.

My post here is to hopefully find others having a similar issues and listen to their views and possibly find a solution. If you find my post boring after the first few sentences then I would recommend twitter or Tom's Hardware for your reading pleasure:)
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 BIOS V. 1.D0
Core i7 6700K@ 4525 MHz, 1.320V, NB @ 4022 MHz
32 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3014MHz (2x16GB DIMM2, DIMM4)
MSI GTX 980 ti
2x Intel 600P m.2 NVMe in RAID0
Evga  SN 750 G-2 (with noisy fan turned off)
Windows 10 Pro

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #1 on: 19-March-16, 08:42:35 »

Hello,

Solve this and you may have your answer: When you enable the XMP what settings does it change and how are they related to the CPU? :)

The iGPU requires a near default voltage in order to function correctly however when you enable the XMP the voltage to this region of the CPU is increased beyond that, usually over 1.2v.
In the BIOS you need to change the following voltages,

SA Voltage = 1.150v
IO Voltage = 1.150v

My recommendation is set both to 1.150v and test your memory at XMP / iGPU.
CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MOBO: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) 3200 DDR4 | GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970
CASE: Zalman Z11 | FC: Zalman MFC1-Plus | HS: Zalman CNPS10X | PSU: Coolermaster V850 Gold
NVMe: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | ODD: Sony DVDRW | OS: Win 10 x64

Re-engineerTopic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #2 on: 21-March-16, 01:22:04 »

I have to laugh! Third attempt to reply on this thread. My mouse has a side button that if barely tapped goes back a page erasing anything I wrote.

So, again... Thanks for the quick reply and the spot-on advice. Set SA to 1.150, IO to 1.100 and I no longer see the flicker or artifacting. I noticed that GT set to AUTO was reading 0.008 which is unlikely since the minimum voltage setting for GT is 0.600. Probably a programming error but I upped that voltage as well to 1.100. I have the board on it's box, VRM and SB sinks are lukewarm at best. Cooler is a cheap LP 120mm down flow, CPU temps in the low twenties (no load) at about 69 F ambient. Still running RAM XMP 3000, 1.35v manual and CPU 4300, 1.32v.

Now, If I can just move the mouse without hitting the back button...
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 BIOS V. 1.D0
Core i7 6700K@ 4525 MHz, 1.320V, NB @ 4022 MHz
32 GB G.Skill TridentZ 3014MHz (2x16GB DIMM2, DIMM4)
MSI GTX 980 ti
2x Intel 600P m.2 NVMe in RAID0
Evga  SN 750 G-2 (with noisy fan turned off)
Windows 10 Pro

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21-March-16, 13:56:27 »

if you remove any OC and leave everything to defaults, 
assume >>Clear CMOS Guide<< with power cord removed
do you have any issues after that?

bo

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 04-May-16, 04:15:22 »

Wow, just came here to say thank you! Was pulling my hair out over this exact issue for the past few days, and this completely solved it for me! :lol_anim:

For the record, and the benefit of future Googlers, my hardware is

MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Core i7-6700K @ 4GHz
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x4GB 3000MHz w/ XMP

Setting CPU SA Voltage = 1.15, IO Voltage = 1.10, GT Voltage = 1.10, completely eliminated any display issues with the iGPU, with XMP still enabled. Some preliminary torture testing indicates that the system is still stable under said voltage settings.

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 23-May-16, 00:35:00 »

Just got done (well for now) building a system based on the z170a M5 and am having same issue. I have it running the windows memory test overnight at the office and will check in AM, but I suspect this is the same issue. Will try the settings suggested tomorrow morning and report back.

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 23-May-16, 11:18:49 »

Okay. I kill XMP completely and the problem cleared up. Obviously an XMP issue. I tried the other suggestions first (independently changing SA Voltage and IO Voltage. I suspect my ram can't run at the rated speed, at least not with this board.

i7 6700k @4.0Ghz
16GB EVGA SuperSC 2800 (currently running at 2133)
840 evo + 850 evo in raid 0 - 1TB total storage

Bios is locking up when I try to change settings. Not sure why, but going to see if a new version is available. Stress testing at 4.4 threw a blue screen after 10 minutes on prime 95 at a vcore of 1.285v,. Going to stress test at stock and see if stable.

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #7 on: 23-May-16, 11:40:54 »

Okay. I kill XMP completely and the problem cleared up. Obviously an XMP issue. I tried the other suggestions first (independently changing SA Voltage and IO Voltage. I suspect my ram can't run at the rated speed, at least not with this board.

i7 6700k @4.0Ghz
16GB EVGA SuperSC 2800 (currently running at 2133)
840 evo + 850 evo in raid 0 - 1TB total storage

Bios is locking up when I try to change settings. Not sure why, but going to see if a new version is available. Stress testing at 4.4 threw a blue screen after 10 minutes on prime 95 at a vcore of 1.285v,. Going to stress test at stock and see if stable.

Will look out for your results ;)
CPU: Intel i7-6700K | MOBO: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) 3200 DDR4 | GFX: Gigabyte GTX 970
CASE: Zalman Z11 | FC: Zalman MFC1-Plus | HS: Zalman CNPS10X | PSU: Coolermaster V850 Gold
NVMe: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB x2 | ODD: Sony DVDRW | OS: Win 10 x64

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 23-May-16, 14:59:08 »

Back to 4.5Ghz. Prime95 for a half hour with no issues with vcore at 1.385. Setting RAM back to XMP and trying settings suggested. SA Voltage = 1.1 IO Voltage = 1.1 GT Voltage = 1.125 via command center. One odd thing is bios indicated 1.385 vcore, but command center indicates 1.4... Any ideas why that would be?

GT voltage1.1 wasn't working, but upping to 1.125 seems to be good so far. Prime95 running now.

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 23-May-16, 15:27:46 »

And another update. Prime95 ran without issue for 10+ minutes. Benchmarking with Sandra again now with cpu set to 4.5ghz 1.385vcore (but command center reads 1.4v?), XMP on at PC2800. 25% through benchmark with GT @ 1.125v seems stable, except a few screen flickers while testiing. Going to let it finish and then probably raise the GT slightly higher to see if that fixes it, as the last raise to 1.125v was a major improvement.

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #10 on: 23-May-16, 15:36:22 »

Either the software is rounding, has a slight offset or it is due to the CPU load. The Vcore does scale slightly depending on load, when in the BIOS vs in Windows the load is different even if you are not doing anything.
BIOS voltages the CPU is under minimal power saving management with full features enabled.

You can try lower on the SA and IO, results vary depending on the CPU.

SA = 1.05
IO = 0.95

Depending on other factors what you set it might actually over-volt so if you haven't tried, run XMP with default SA & IO too.

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #11 on: 26-May-16, 22:46:58 »

I finally just returned the EVGA Ram and got something listed as supported on the documentation for the motherboard. Installing now and will see if that takes care of the issue.

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 27-May-16, 14:33:59 »

Immediately after enabling XMP, major screen issues. Turned off XMP and ran at stock clock and non-xmp speeds on prime95 all night with new corsair vengeance lps 2666 ram. According to MSI it is on the supported list for RAM. No issues after 8 hours. Removed MSI control center, rebooted and enabled XMP, and am now running prime again at stock i7 clocks with XMP enabled in bios. 2+ hours and no issues. Going to reboot and start bumping up clock speeds on processor. Starting to wonder if the MSI control center is part of the problem.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Trying to share my experience in the hopes MSI can fix whatever issues there are as I didn't buy this board, and unlocked processor, and high speed XMP enabled RAM to run at stock speeds and am about 2 days away from returning the board and starting over with one from another Vendor.

xmad

• MSI HQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • Salisbury MD
« Reply #13 on: 27-May-16, 14:45:34 »

I would suggest not using most of MSI's software in the OS.

Make your changes in UEFI bios.

It think you are going about this the opposite way for optimum results.

You should probably overclock your cpu first as this will give you the largest performance increase. Then manually overclock your memory as high as you are able w/o issues. There is no guarantee on any memory speed above 2133..
DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

Results above 2133 w/ an overclock are very dependent on the individual CPU. Some are much better than others. Also, as platforms mature sometimes the overclocking abilities of the boards gets better with bios updates. It really doesn't sound like the case here though, it sounds like your cpu just isn't going to deal with the increased voltage.
Make sure to select a "best" answer once your issue has been resolved!
Mainboard: X79A-GD65 (8D)
CPU: I7-3930K
Setting: 4.5Ghz enhanced turbo w/ speed step functioning.
Memory: Corsair Dominator 2133 CL:9  1.5v 4x4gb
Setting: 2400 CL:10
VGA: 2 x GTX 780Ti Gaming 3G (SLI)
No Overclock other than default
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 12v: 100.1 Amps
SSD: Corsair GS 256GB
Corsair Link
Cooling: Corsair H100I

matthewreo

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 28-May-16, 16:09:29 »

Thanks for the advice! I was able to get it stable at 4.4 with XMP, but my overall sis/sandra score went down with XMP enabled. I think I'll go back to stock ram speeds and try to overclock the processor some more.

msiparts

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #15 on: 19-June-16, 19:57:15 »

Luckily I found this thread, I was about to pull the last few hairs out of my head.

So, clearly there is an issue with XMP and these M5 boards with respect to trying to use onboard video. I bought approved g.skill ram for this board according to the compatibility chart, and turned on XMP, and was met with flicker, black out, screen jiggle, and even bios lockup on mouse hover once. Sure thing, the voltages were all jacked for SA IO GT. So I tried to manually set them down to suggested levels... only to be met with LESS flicker and blackouts. So I turned off XMP entirely and now it seems to be behaving.

My biggest concern here now after reading this thread...

How does one OC even a little bit, with this issue?
Is XMP really required, or is it a shortcut setup (which doesnt work)?
Should any of this be ANY concern if one puts in a dedicated GPU into the pcie bank?

I mean, to me... something thats causing a freakout on the intel chip's igpu, has got to be bad even if you mask it by using a bigger dedicated gpu, right?

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #16 on: 19-June-16, 20:40:07 »

Hello,

If you disable the iGPU it is not being used, switches off within the CPU so voltages are not a problem but if enabled how long can is run in an over volted state.
You might need to test lower voltages as it does vary per CPU, a Celeron G3900 I tried didnt like anything over 1.10v SA.

msiparts

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #17 on: 19-June-16, 21:06:47 »

Ah, so this issue is directly aligned with the igpu, and doesn't transfer along any other channels like the pcie bus. Wonder if it has anything to do with the GT volts being 0.008 by default. lol.

This is a Skylake i7 6700k CPU, if that helps answer anything.

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #18 on: 19-June-16, 21:57:04 »

Ah, so this issue is directly aligned with the igpu, and doesn't transfer along any other channels like the pcie bus. Wonder if it has anything to do with the GT volts being 0.008 by default. lol.

Correct, PCI-E BUS will not be altered, GT voltage depends on the iGPU load / GPU frequency scaling, I don't think the BIOS is showing you the correct value.

christianfx

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 08-September-16, 11:55:46 »

got excatly same issue, 
but raising SA to 1.2 and IO to 1.5 here for me fixed but, but therefore Prime95 with OC @ 4,6GHZ makes Black screen sometimes...

Does it affect the iGPU when I raise the CPU Core Voltage too? 

I need 1,38V for CPU Core
SA: 1.2V
IO: 1.5V

or doest it not matter for this "bug" when I OC the CPU?

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #20 on: 08-September-16, 16:55:34 »

The CPU Vcore Voltage is only for the Cores and does not impact the SA / IO Voltage supply.
check your other thread when you get a moment, for the iGPU you need to switch back to default memory settings 2133Mhz and
SA = 1.05v
IO = 0.95v

When you get a GFX card you can then switch back but you should try to keep both voltages a low as possible, 1.5V for the IO is high.

inkermaster

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #21 on: 19-October-16, 21:19:37 »

Thanks to this thread and to it's starter!!!
Everything is clear for me now! Got exactly the same problem with my M7 + 6700k. I'm waiting for the new graphics card, so was running on iGPU. And this topic just helped me not to try returning back my CPU. :)

kpuchatek

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #22 on: 24-October-16, 11:21:15 »

I can confirm this issue and solution. It seems many people around are affected by this and looking for solution without an answer.
I have M7 board and G.Skill 3200 DDR4 RAM, when XMP is enabled, BIOS raises RAM to 1.36V and SA/IO to 1.25/1.25, which causes display artifacts and screen flickering on Intel 530 graphics.
I had to lower to 1.2/1.15 to get things under control, but still flickering occurs sometimes, so if possible, even lower values should be used.
I think MSI should fix BIOS ( I am on 1E)  to be less aggressive with voltages, since current settings are useless in XMP mode.

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #23 on: 24-October-16, 13:29:08 »

Whilst the voltages are the cause there is only so much that can be done with the XMP settings, this is designed to be a universal specification that must work no matter what.
Intel define the values so there is little room for motherboard manufacturers to adjust and the important aspect is the ability to get a plug and play system.

Just like automatically overclocking, these settings have to over-volt to ensure success for the people that do not wish to go through the "hassle" of overclocking, a lazy solution for the modern world :). Your best option will always be to set the voltage manually to determine the stable lowest setting but for integrated GFX this can be near impossible depending on your chip.

th3ripp3rman

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #24 on: 14-December-16, 08:53:07 »

Hello everyone and thank you all for the info on this forum. I have joined this forum because of the issue in this thread. I have done a whole lot of searching over the past year trying to resolve this issue to no avail. I have the Z170I gaming pro ac with tridentx 3200mhz ram. When I have XMP mode enabled, i have the random black screen issue come up. When I tweek the voltages as suggested in this thread, the issue gets much better, but still happens. Im out of ideas and materials to read on how to fix this. Now Im turning to anyone who reads this for help. If there is anyone who can, I would very much appreciate it.

pwrcat4000

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #25 on: 17-July-17, 03:37:42 »

I have the latest bios 1e still no luck just using XMP
I built 4 of these machines 3 are fine with no changes
1 will send you in to a epileptic fit with the flicker what gives MSI
So frustrated I am a ASUS board person but liked the MSI M.2 Genie for ease of setup.

electrostingz

• MAJOR
« Reply #26 on: 17-July-17, 11:14:01 »

Hello,

What have you tried and did you also try this board with another CPU from one of the working boards?
Some of the Intel CPUs seem to flicker no matter what :(

pwrcat4000

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #27 on: 17-July-17, 23:16:10 »

I've been able to set the settings to keep it from flickering but it is annoying to me that I had to do that of course every time I upgrade or update the BIOS I have to go back and reset everything just seems like it should work out of the box.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 18-July-17, 08:46:27 »

Please open new topic instead of resurrecting old one!
>>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<

:nichlock:
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!
Pages: [1]   Go Up