Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to remove the top plate of a GT80 or GT80S Titan  (Read 5620 times)

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

How to remove the top plate of a GT80 or GT80S Titan notebook.

The top plate of the GT80 and GT80S Titan notebooks is secured with two philips-head metric M2 screws that are located on the bottom of the notebook. Once they are removed, the top plate slides sideways away from the optical (blu-ray) drive and lifts free. Here are the instructions:

Step 1
Turn off your Titan. Then disconnect it from all external devices, including its AC/DC adapter.

Step 2
Prepare a workspace. Place a towel or soft cloth on it so you won't scratch the lid of your expensive Titan.

Step 3
Turn the Titan over so the bottom is up and set it on your workspace. Remove the two screws circled below with a small philips-head screwdriver. The screwdriver will need a moderately long shaft because the screws are recessed.

Step 4
Turn the Titan back over and set it on its bottom. Lift the lid. Gently slide the top plate toward the right away from the optical drive. It should slide about 3 mm as shown below.

Step 5
Carefully lift the top plate off your titan as shown below.

The next photo below shows my GT80 Titan with the top plate removed and the replaceable parts labeled.

Notes: The 2.5-inch drive is surrounded by foam and held in place by friction only---no HD caddy is required or used. Since I took the above photo, I've replaced the 1 TB 7200 rpm 2.5-inch HD shown above with a 2 TB 2.5-inch SATA SSD from Samsung. The SSD fit perfectly. Samsung now offers 2.5-inch SATA SSDs with storage capacities up to 4 TB!!!

The last photo below has labels for the speaker drivers. Notice that each of the two left/right stereo channels has two full-range drivers. The Titan does NOT have built-in surround sound.

Notes: The Titan also has a small subwoofer that is located underneath the notebook (it points down and fires through the bottom cover). For good bass, the Titan must be placed on a smooth, hard, reflective surface like a table or desk top. And there must be an air gap between the bottom of the notebook and the table or desk top. To get real surround sound from a GT80 or GT80S Titan, you must connect one of the digital outputs (S/PDIF, HDMI or mDP) to an external surround sound system. I use an optical cable with the S/PDIF output and get excellent Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound from sources (movies or games) that have a digital surround soundtrack.

Caution: Remember to take precautions to avoid static discharge while your notebook is open or you may damage it. A common way to avoid static damage is to wear a grounding strap around your wrist and connected to the metal chassis of the notebook. If you are forced to work on your notebook without a grounding strap (NOT recommended), you should: (1) touch the metal end of all tools to a metal part of the notebook chassis to ground them to the notebook before touching them to any circuit, and (2) work one-handed, keeping the unused hand in contact with the chassis at all times so your body is grounded to the notebook.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

jojo.lin

• STAFF SERGEANT
Re: How to remove the top plate of a GT80 or GT80S Titan
« Reply #1 on: 18-August-16, 23:19:20 »

Nice sharing.

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 10-July-17, 07:19:34 »

This is what I want for Christmas. Pricey, even on Ebay goes for $1000.   I wonder if it will drop any. My 1TB HDD is a bit slow at times.

[font="Helvetica neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]4TB Samsung EVO 850 2.5" Solid State Drive SATA III MZ-75E4T0B/AM Internal SSD[/font][/color]
MSI Titan GT80S SLI

phansteven32

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 23-September-17, 14:59:01 »

Who cares about opening it up, all the previous MSI GT80 Titan owners have no video graphics card upgrades to do anything.

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
« Reply #4 on: 24-September-17, 19:07:37 »

Who cares about opening it up, all the previous MSI GT80 Titan owners have no video graphics card upgrades to do anything.

Hi phansteven32,

Nice joke! :-) The OP is about removing the top plate. The top plate has NOTHING to do with dGPU upgrades---the video MXM modules are accessed via the bottom cover. The top plate was designed by MSI to offer the easiest access possible for changing M.2 SSDs, HD or 2.5-inch SSD, and the memory card slots on the top of the motherboard. Another benefit is the easy access to the optical drive bay---should the user wish to replace the standard blu-ray burner with another device. No other notebook model that I'm aware of has ever been provided with such easy access to key components.

Unfortunately, MSI behaves like a person with a split personality. On the one hand, they build this hardware that is intended to be user-upgradable in a major way. On the other hand, they withhold the information users need to do their own upgrades. This notebook should be treated like a motherboard---the manufacturer should provide users with (1) detailed information about the hardware, (2) instructions on how to remove the top plate, (3) a list of tested and approved memory card models, (4) in the case of the GT83VR, a list of tested and approved M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD models. And so on. But MSI is too backward to even provide change logs for their firmware and software updates. How ridiculous!

The top plate information in my OP applies to more than just the GT80 and GT80S Titans. It also applies to all subsequent GT8x Titans, such as the current GT83VR models.

Regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

frank.tf.tsai

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 03-January-19, 02:54:32 »

Thanks for the informative tips!

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 16-January-19, 11:25:55 »

I lost one of these 2 M2 screws, what is its size?
MSI Titan GT80S SLI

gamalaptop

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
    • Laptop Gaming Cũ Giá Rẻ TPHCM
« Reply #7 on: 21-June-19, 10:02:53 »

Thanks for sharing. But very few people will be able to touch this top line!

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #8 on: 05-August-19, 13:17:37 »

I removed the 2 screws permanently, since they don't really do anything. The top plate slides left to right to remove and stays in place without the screws.

If you want to swap the SSD, you don't have to mess with the screws.
MSI Titan GT80S SLI
Pages: [1]   Go Up