Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: READ THIS before upgrading to a PCIe NVMe SSD...  (Read 39053 times)

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Greetings,

MSI has made the transition from mSATA to M.2 slots for all of its gaming notebooks. And now that Intel's Skylake CPU and chipsets are here, many of these notebooks offer a choice between a PCIe NVMe SSD or a SATA-3 SSD. At first glance, it appears that the PCIe NVMe SSD is the clear winner because of its speed. For example, a 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD (MZ-V5P512BW) boasts a sequential read speed of 2500 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 1500 MB/s (random read/write speeds are 300K/110K IOPS). This compares to a 512 GB Micron M600 SATA-3 SSD with a sequential read speed of 560 MB/s and sequential write speed of 510 MB/s (random read/write speeds are 100K/88K IOPS).

So, what's not to like about an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD---except the higher price? Unfortunately there may be a lot not to like, depending on how you will use your SSD and your computer tech aptitude (if you plan to install one, yourself).

Thermal Limits
In order to operate at such a faster speed, an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD generates a lot more heat than an M.2 SATA SSD. According to MSI's FAQ 01990 (see link below): "One of the most pressing concerns with PCI-e (NVMe) SSD is its greater susceptibility to thermal throttling. Due to the slim form factor, SSD's inability to effectively disperse heat gives an easily overheat result under heavy load." This is why some users have observed a significantly slower-than-rated speed during benchmarking---their M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD overheated during the test and automatically throttled down to a slower speed.

From what I've been able to learn about this, you can expect an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD to exceed its thermal limit with sustained reads/writes of 5 minutes or more. However, this duration will be much shorter if the notebook is being used in a hot environment or if other factors like a heavy CPU and dGPU load are also generating high heat inside the notebook at the same time.

What this tells us is: If your SSD will be used for sustained reads/writes (gaming that depends on heavy file I/O or media production such as video recording/editing or 3D rendering) then an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD may not be the best choice. And, if you go with one any way, you can expect a shorter lifespan if it is regularly pushed to a high temperature. And, if it is part of a striped RAID-0 array (like MSI's "SuperRAID"), it will increase the likelihood of data loss. An M.2 SATA SSD may be a wiser choice. Another wise choice may be to have both a PCIe NVMe SSD for short read/write durations (perhaps the OS drive) and a SATA SSD for sustained read/write durations (like a game/data drive).

Limited PCIe NVMe Compatibility
MSI's FAQ 01990 also states: "...MSI can't guarantee the SSD performance and stability if you're not using our approval SSD." Evidently, an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD require BIOS support---I think this is due in part to the varying thermal profiles of the different models (but I'm just guessing---and I don't know what makes some PCIe SSD models "unstable"). Plus, MSI says that the option ROM in some of these unapproved super-fast SSDs cannot get past Secure Boot, requiring the user to disable Secure Boot in their notebook's BIOS. Because of the need for BIOS support, stability issues and the Secure Boot issue that some PCIe NVMe SSDs have, MSI recommends that users only install approved M.2 PCIe NVMe models. And good luck discovering which ones are approved! I've searched and have not yet discovered an MSI approved list. If they do provide one, it will vary depending on the BIOS version in the notebook. But one thing is fairly easy to anticipate: any M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD model that was introduced after the release date of your notebook's BIOS version will probably not be included. So, if you want to install the "latest, greatest" M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, it probably won't have MSI support yet. It will take them time to provide a BIOS update that includes that support---if it is a model that they approve---some models may never be approved because of the performance and stability issues.

Should you ignore MSI's advice and install an unapproved M.2 PCIe NVMe? Some users have---evidently there are some workarounds for the limited BIOS support. But you'll assume the risk. My advice is to contact MSI Support first to learn what models are supported with your notebook and BIOS version. They may recommend a BIOS upgrade to provide the support you need. But I would contact them before upgrading the BIOS.

Limited Win 7 Support for NVMe
Most readers probably won't care about Win 7 support but there are a few of us who do. Can you use Win 7 on an MSI gaming notebook with a Skylark CPU and chipset and an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD? In theory, yes. However, Win 7 does not have native support for NVMe like Win 10 does. (NVMe is an optional protocol that speeds communication over a PCIe interface.) Intel has an NVMe driver for Win 7 that it claims will provide limited support under Win 7. Microsoft also has a hotfix for Win 7 that it similarly claims will add limited support for NVMe. But the best thing you can do for Win 7 support is to buy an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD from a manufacturer who provides Win 7 support, including the necessary NVMe driver for Win 7.

What happens if you install an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD for Win 7 without any NVMe support? I'm not sure. The SSD may simply operate at a slightly slower speed as if it was a plain M.2 PCIe SSD without NVMe. This may vary by manufacturer and model. So, contact the SSD manufacturer before you buy one.

Also, you'll need to study MSI FAQ 01971 (see link below). It describes how to install Win 10 and Win 7 on a Skylake system and it includes tables that show how to configure the Boot mode, SATA mode and Secure Boot settings in your notebook's BIOS in order to use an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD as an OS drive with Win 7. MSI FAQ 01191 (see link below) describes how to use an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD as a data drive under Win 7.

Relevant MSI FAQs
FAQ 01990 - What should I know before upgrading PCI-e storage devices on my notebook? - (Click on the red "Download" button to download the pdf document.)
FAQ 01971 - How to install Windows system on my notebook with 6th Generation Intel Core CPU and PCH (Skylake)? - (Click on the red "Download" button to download the pdf document.)
FAQ 01191 - Why isn't my PCI-e NVMe SSD detected in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) control panel when I use it as a data disk in Windows 7?

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

sportkung

• CAPTAIN
Re: READ THIS before upgrading to a PCIe NVMe SSD...
« Reply #1 on: 11-September-16, 23:31:53 »

Two more links for adding SSD.

Storage Device Information:
http://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-1117

How to use Win7 Smart Tool?

http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1988.html

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL

Two more links for adding SSD.

Storage Device Information:
http://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-1117

How to use Win7 Smart Tool?
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1988.html

Hi sportkung,

Thanks for the Win 7 Smart Tool link---I was unaware that MSI had made such a tool. It looks very helpful for anyone wanting to install Win 7 on a Skylake system.

However, the storage device links in the FAQs can be problematic. The information in them often lags well behind the current products. This is the case again now. For example, none of the new VR and NVidia 10-series systems are yet included in it. And I've found that you have to periodically search the FAQs to discover the new storage device document when it is updated because MSI doesn't always update the exiting FAQ but sometimes creates a new FAQ with a link to a new storage device document. Therefore, past links might not take you to the latest version. So readers need to get into the habit of searching the FAQs for the latest information and not rely on the links that we post here because they can become outdated over time.

I hope that MSI will eventually move some of the information from the FAQs area into the forums in a dedicated MSI "How To" or "Support" sub-forum. I've made this suggestion to them but I don't know if they will do it. However, if they do, it could make it much more accessible and easier for newbies to find.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
« Reply #3 on: 19-November-16, 17:29:46 »

Greetings,

Update: Samsung is introducing a new 960 Pro series of M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs in early 2017 that appear to overcome the thermal problem of earlier M.2 SSDs of this type. Evidently they have added a thicker layer of copper inside the memory chips to better dissipate heat. It's been reported that the upper thermal limit of these new SSDs is 70°C and independent tests running benchmarks non-stop could not push the temperature any higher than 61°C in a desktop computer. (Leave it to us notebook owners to push it to 70°C.)

If the marketing hype and preliminary tests by independent reviewers are true, these are the first M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs that can handle continuous operation at full or near-full performance (3500 MB/s sequential read and 2100 MB/s sequential write) during sustained use.

The 960 Pro is not cheap and will be available in three capacities: 512 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB. Wow! A 2 terabyte M.2 SSD---that's fantastic! Amazon.com is taking pre-orders in the U.S. for the 1 TB model for about US$630. You can expect the 2 TB version to cost more than double that.

Kind regards, David

shawn.donnelly21

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #4 on: 22-June-17, 14:45:24 »

Another amazing post, man.  Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone.
If you've asked a question and I've correctly answered it, please take the time to mark it with the best answer button.  :-)

GT72VR Dominator (GT72VR 6RD)

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 01-August-17, 05:57:44 »

This is really good info. 

I have SanDisk X400 which not the newer faster type but I was able to get it cheap, 512GB modules for 150 each. 
But it looks like there is a 960 in my future.
MSI Titan GT80S SLI

jodyhiscock

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 09-August-17, 02:11:39 »

I bought a brand new MSI GT72-7RD and went to install my NVME SSD and found there is no bracket.  :censored:?

Can MSI explain why there is no bracket for an M.2 SSD? 

Huge benefit of a new laptop these days is because of M.2 SSD port.  My cheap laptop has a bracket but an expensive GT series laptop doesn't?

MSI please explain why these models doesn't come with a bracket to support M.2 form factor SSDs aka PCIe SSD??

I'm not impressed!! 

This is my model

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-7RD-Dominator.html#hero-specification

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
« Reply #7 on: 09-August-17, 08:18:29 »

I bought a brand new MSI GT72-7RD and went to install my NVME SSD and found there is no bracket.  :censored:?

Can MSI explain why there is no bracket for an M.2 SSD?  

Huge benefit of a new laptop these days is because of M.2 SSD port.  My cheap laptop has a bracket but an expensive GT series laptop doesn't?

MSI please explain why these models doesn't come with a bracket to support M.2 form factor SSDs aka PCIe SSD??

I'm not impressed!!  

This is my model

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-7RD-Dominator.html#hero-specification

Hi jodyhiscock,

This is a volunteer user-to-user forum and MSI does not participate here. You need to contact MSI directly and give them your opinion. All you're doing here is preaching to the choir. MSI has a bad habit of omitting parts that are not required at the factory. If you purchase an MSI gaming notebook without a factory-installed M.2 SSD, there will be no guarantee that a mounting bracket or mounting screws will be included. I think it's a lousy practice and my guess is that MSI thinks buyers should go back to their MSI dealer for upgrades.

By the way, not all MSI gaming notebooks require M.2 brackets. My GT80 2QE Titan has four M.2 slots and no brackets are required. All four mount directly to the motherboard and all the user needs is a short mounting screw to secure each one in place.

To other readers: Before upgrading any components inside an MSI gaming notebook, ALWAYS open it and inspect it first so you'll see if any adapters, mounting brackets or mounting screws are needed. Adapters and/or mounting brackets usually must be obtained from an MSI dealer. Screws you can get anywhere as long as the size is correct. If my memory is correct, metric M-2 screws are usually used but the length can vary.

Kind regards, David

miang0998

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 09-August-17, 15:25:55 »

"Limited Windows 7 compatibility"?

Are you serious? Is there really people still using Win7 nowadays?

That is very laughable.

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #9 on: 11-August-17, 08:52:31 »

I will upgrade to Samsung 960 Pro when the prices drop to reasonable levels, right now they are over $400 for 1TB sticks.

You can get another brand substantially cheaper. 

Even the slowest SSD is a lot faster than the fastest HDD.

My GT80 boots in about 28 seconds because the SanDisk X400 I have is not the latest-greatest PCIe NVMe, I didn't realize there was a difference. I am completely satisifed however.  The Toshiba 128GB were faster, especially in the RAID-0 configuration that I broke and turned into what you might call RAID-1, a mirror drive that is used for snapshots weekly.

My old desktop HDD used to boot in under 5 minutes, so anything under 30 seconds is very fast.
MSI Titan GT80S SLI

furkan_aybasti

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 06-October-17, 15:26:38 »

PCıe NVMe SSD  is very rapıd and strong.thanks to him I can get things done quickly.

drzhabinaa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 31-October-17, 19:51:49 »

Hi! Is it possible to install nvme ssd samsung 960 pro with copper heatsink (67*18*2 mm) on msi gp72mvr 7rfx? Do I need a bracket to install this ssd (even without heatsink)? Thank you.

saffetdincer

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 01-November-17, 01:38:20 »

Hi there,

I have GL62 6QD, I will upgrade to SSD and here is the model I want to buy. (Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250 GB).  I have attached the system info. but I have some doubts whether this is compatible with my system or not. Can you please help me to decide.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Serial Number:                9S716J612079ZG8000045
Product Name:                 GL62 6QD
OS:                           Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit Ver.1703(OS build 15063.0.amd64fre.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Windows Product Key:          H8Q99
HDI Build:                    non-OEM
BIOS Version:                 E16J6IMS.107
BIOS Release Date:            2016/06/03
EC Version:                   16J6EMS1.1060621201616:04:02
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory:                       8192 MB @ 1066 MHz
                               - 8192 MB, DDR4-2133, Samsung M471A1K43BB0-CPB    
Graphics:                     Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, 2048 MB
VBIOS Version:                82.07.99.00.10,2097152
Drive:                        HDD, HGST HTS721010A9E630, 931,51 GB
Network:                      Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Network:                      Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Network:                      Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
SHIFT mode:                   None
Power Plan:                   Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (Yksek performans)

asm1

• asm1
  • SECOND LIEUTENANT

Hi there,

I have GL62 6QD, I will upgrade to SSD and here is the model I want to buy. (Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250 GB).  I have attached the system info. but I have some doubts whether this is compatible with my system or not. Can you please help me to decide.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Serial Number:                9S716J612079ZG8000045
Product Name:                 GL62 6QD
OS:                           Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit Ver.1703(OS build 15063.0.amd64fre.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Windows Product Key:          H8Q99
HDI Build:                    non-OEM
BIOS Version:                 E16J6IMS.107
BIOS Release Date:            2016/06/03
EC Version:                   16J6EMS1.1060621201616:04:02
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory:                       8192 MB @ 1066 MHz
                               - 8192 MB, DDR4-2133, Samsung M471A1K43BB0-CPB    
Graphics:                     Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, 2048 MB
VBIOS Version:                82.07.99.00.10,2097152
Drive:                        HDD, HGST HTS721010A9E630, 931,51 GB
Network:                      Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Network:                      Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Network:                      Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
SHIFT mode:                   None
Power Plan:                   Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (Yksek performans)

Google-fu on your machine specs tells me you have an M2 slot.  Then the 960 Evo should be fine.  Before spending money, open up your machine and look to be sure.

Obviously Back up your C:  before you start playing with installing stuff, and make sure you have all the latest BIOS and EC Firmware updates (do these before install, just in case)

saffetdincer

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Thank you for your interest and reply..

asm1

• asm1
  • SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #15 on: 24-November-17, 08:15:52 »

Thank you for your interest and reply..

You are most welcome :)   Let us know how you get on. :biggthumbsup:

saffetdincer

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #16 on: 24-November-17, 09:30:29 »

I've ordered it now.. probably i'll have it in a few days.. after installing the windows I will let you know, of course.. :)

saffetdincer

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #17 on: 24-November-17, 09:31:28 »

I've ordered it now.. probably i'll have it in a few days.. after installing the windows I will let you know, of course.. :)

hmurrayhocp

• SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 25-November-17, 12:30:14 »

Running Samsung 960 Pro 512 since April and no issues. 

Product Name:                 GE62MVR 7RG
OS:                           Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.1709(OS build 16299.15.amd64fre.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Windows Product Key:          omitted
HDI Build:                    non-OEM
BIOS Version:                 E16JCIMS.306
BIOS Release Date:            2017/07/31
EC Version:                   16JCEMS1.1060220201715:09:02
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory:                       32 GB @ 1333 MHz
                               - 16 GB, DDR4-2667, Kingston KHX2666C15S4/16G    
                               - 16 GB, DDR4-2667, Kingston KHX2666C15S4/16G    
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8192 MB
Graphics:                     Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
VBIOS Version:                86.04.33.00.04,8388608
Drive:                        HDD, HGST HTS721010A9E630, 931.51 GB
Drive:                        SSD, NVMe Samsung SSD 960, 476.94 GB

jrhoffman09

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #19 on: 26-November-17, 11:07:09 »

All in doing with him is OS and drivers. Fast.

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Many thanks David.

This is a great article and I appreciate your research and the references very much.  I've been looking at the Samsung 960 EVO and 960 PRO and your update on thermal properties of NVMe has tipped the balance for me to seriously consider the extra money for the PRO instead of the EVO.  Apart from the five year compared to three year warranty the 960 PRO uses slightly less power at 5.3 W compared to 5.7 W for the EVO for the 1TB models.  I noticed that both models have 1.5 million hours MTBF, but a five year warranty is better than a three year warranty.

saffetdincer

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #21 on: 11-February-18, 01:39:15 »

You are most welcome :)   Let us know how you get on. :biggthumbsup:

I have bought the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250 GB. At first bios didn't detect the ssd so I changed the AHCI / IDE setting on bios. And then it detects ssd but doesn't hdd. Anyway I installed windows on ssd and when windows started I have seen the hdd in windows. Attached you can see the speed test. --HDD and M.2 SSD are on my pc now, sata ssd is on another computer (added it just to compare with M.2).. In conclusion, now bios does not detect hdd but does SSD. Yet, I can use both ssd and hdd at the same time.

nightcon

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #22 on: 15-February-18, 01:12:46 »

I have GE62 6QF

No problem with my old samsung MZVPV256HDGL-00000. Works well and temperatures are: 30Celsius in rest state and about 30-50 in stress (full read/write).

I bought Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2 NMVe PH480GPM280SSDR and... "houston, we have a problem"
Temperatures are abnormal. In rest state (cover open + cooling plate with fans) - 49-54Celsius.
In short stress: 100Celsius and above... this is sick :)

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #23 on: 16-February-18, 14:58:55 »

There are numerous reviews on the Hellfire.  This one has about ten pages (quite short pages), with page 9 all about the high temperature of this model SSD.
https://thepcenthusiast.com/patriot-hellfire-480gb-m-2-nvme-ssd-review/9/

"Patriot Hellfire 480GB M.2 Temperature Test
The Patriot Hellfire M.2 NVMe SSD has an operating temperature from 0° to 70° C. However, I was surprised to see that my drive was operating beyond 70°; and even peaks at 100° degrees Celsius! No wonder it’s called Hellfire (pun intended). Allow me to explain further.

The temperatures you see below are the result of the drive installed without any airflow support. When I did the benchmarks on the previous pages, the Patriot Hellfire was installed below the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini. Since the GPU is blowing air, it’s also somehow cooling the Patriot Hellfire. Take not that the GPU was not under load since I was only doing storage benchmarks. So basically the graphics card was not hot and the air that was exhausted towards the PCB was cool.
When I rearranged the orientation of the test setup, this time the graphics card was further away from the Hellfire (as you can see from the photo on the test setup); leaving the Hellfire with no airflow support. Below are the results I got.
The temperature shoot up to ~100° while I was running Crystaldiskmark and ezIOmeter benchmarks. There’s also a noticeable drop in the performance, most probably due to thermal throttling. As you can see from the benchmarks below, the sequential write speed went down by a few 100MB/s. Other tests seem to be hitting their expected speeds. Probably the heat may have affected its performance somehow, but it’s still definitely working. Take note, this time there was no any air flow support; the Hellfire M.2 was just sitting on the motherboard without any additional cooling support.

I’m not sure if this is true to all Hellfire M.2 SSDs, but for my specific unit, it was definitely operating at above 70°. I’ve checked other reviews but most didn’t mention about its temperature. I’ve read one review where their unit’s temperature was also reaching around 80°+ degrees Celsius. So, I was a little bit worried about how high the temperature can get with this unit. Even though it was still working, extreme heat may damage the drive in the long run or at least shorten its life span.
There are motherboards that come with an “M.2 shield” or a heatsink for M.2 SSDs; specially the new X299 motherboards. However, since our system unit didn’t have one, I resorted to a sort of DIY solution. I found some old memory heatsinks and decided to put them on the controller and the NAND flash. I think these heatsinks were originally meant for VRAMs.
WARNING: I do not recommend this method as this will void warranty! Removing the sticker label voids warranty! I just removed the sticker for better contact."

dkyankin

• PRIVATE E-2

anthony.andrade182

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #25 on: 26-September-18, 09:05:02 »

hello.
I have the MSI GP62 7RE then I purchased in 2017 the Kingston KC1000 SSD NVMe 960GB.  Before did this upgrade I see the specifications and noticed that never my laptop runs at maximun speed given by Samsung 960. For this reason I decided to bought the Kingston. And after some test I noticed the temperature was some hot like 70 degrees. After discovered that exist Thermal Throttling ... I discovered that exist  m2 coolers. I bought a thin cooler for the m2 in aliexpress. Try that! Is possible that resolve the problem with temperature.

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #26 on: 16-January-19, 09:54:21 »

FYI, in my GT80S SLI 6QE Titan, I have the following SSD modules installed  that run well:

Samsung PM981 1TB PCIe
Samsung PM951 1TB PCIe (half as fast as the above and older circa 2015 -- 1700 Mb/sec versus 3500 Mb/sec for PM981)
Samsung 860 EVO M.2  SATA 1TB slower still than the above
Samsung 860 1TB - that is the 2.5" SATA that is slower but you can never tell in real life.

I also ran Samsung 850 1TB 2.5" and since put that in another machine. 

Observations: Only 2280 drives are bootable. I currently have Win10 in all 2280 - PM981, PM951 and 860 EVO M.2. The 2.5" SATA drive is not bootable no matter what I do with it. So I just use it for data.

It's hard to tell any speed difference between any SSDs unless you copy a lot of data. 

This above combination works well. Also I broke the RAID0 it came in, the entire PM981 is the boot drive with no RAID enabled (AHCI is set).
MSI Titan GT80S SLI

adeelahmedd

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #27 on: 01-May-19, 06:27:06 »

Hi 

Just bought GL63 8RE and wanted to upgrade M.2 drive to 500 GB as the factory drive is 128 GB, will that affect the Win 10 Recovery process and how should i go about it to attain the Recovery. 

--
Plz Help 

hirakbanerjee

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #28 on: 14-May-19, 07:22:52 »

Hi Just bought GL63 8RE and wanted to upgrade M.2 drive to 500 GB as the factory drive is 128 GB, will that affect the Win 10 Recovery process and how should i go about it to attain the Recovery. -- Plz Help

Hi Adeel,
I have a GL63 8RD which also has a 128GB SSD storage. My SSD drive does not display in the Intel Rapid Storage tool, although the larger 1TB SATA drive shows up.
DOes your 128GB drive show in your Intel Rapid Storage?

beghosa

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #29 on: 14-May-19, 07:44:14 »

I have lots of problem unsolved with my notebook and the support message area doesn't work. Having this problem for about six months now. How do I get my problem solve when your support doesn't work. There is nothing they can do on the phone. I can even explain anymore! I can only send a transcript of my troubles. It like a bought a trouble for 3050 euros.

jt.tarigan

• CORPORAL
« Reply #30 on: 11-July-19, 11:38:30 »

Has anyone managed to replace M.2 Sata to NVME in GS73 series? I am planning to replace my toshiba to samsung 970 pro NVME 1TB. 

Any advice before I'm getting one would be much appreciated.

TopLap24h.Com

• PRIVATE E-2
    • Laptop Gaming Tphcm
« Reply #31 on: 20-July-19, 00:01:25 »

This information is very useful.
I have upgraded a lot of things but I still need more information

MSI NO.1 GAMING

datum9

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #32 on: 05-August-19, 13:20:41 »

I upgraded both PCIe slots to Samsung PM981 1TB..

The other 2 are SATA III, 2.5" SSD is Samsung 860 and the M.2 is Samsung 860 M.2
MSI Titan GT80S SLI
Pages: [1]   Go Up