Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New GT72VR screen color issue  (Read 27551 times)

onder_dudu34

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: New GT72VR screen color issue
« Reply #50 on: 08-October-16, 11:16:20 »

Hi I have the same laptop but mine came with 60hz and 8bpc and without any weirdness on the screen but i don't have g-sync option on nvidia panel. My panel is the same as yours so what is the problem can i make mine 6 bpc and will g-sync open then.

tob

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #51 on: 30-October-16, 03:22:30 »

Thanks for taking the time to answer our question, you helped us a lot already !

It appears that this issue is a hardware problem of some screens (6/8 bpc switch, dithering). Can you confirm that?
Did you get any further idea to what screens exactly that occur (60/75/120Hz, different versions, other than LGD 046E, etc.)?

No more updates. All we can do is use the method described earlier in the topic. Nvidia control pannel -> change resolution -> create custom resolution -> 100Hz -> make sure 6 bpc is selected afterwards.

Does that solve the problem completely? Any noticeable quality losses? What are the risks leaving it at 100Hz?

You can only send in the Book and Hope MSI put a another Panel in your Maschine. I choose a refund and buy an other Book with a better panel

Didn't the fix work for you? How could you ensure that the other panels aren't affected as well, since it happened to other msi laptops?

spectacularbob

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #52 on: 03-November-16, 10:52:29 »

I am trying to decide whether to return or not.

When I change to 6bpc, it seems like the colors look the same as any other display that I plug it into through HDMI. However, I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on whether changing to 6bpc is a "real fix" or if it is just a way to "make do" with what is a real hardware problem.

After doing some research, I found that many panels opt to have 6bpc because it makes the panels more responsive while sacrificing truly having accurate colors. It seems to me that the LGD046E panel that comes in this laptop model is likely a 6bpc panel where the manufacturer messed up and the firmware reports 8bpc capability to the NVIDIA drivers. This mismatch causes the NVIDIA drivers to not bother to do any dithering-- resulting in the banding effect and really crappy colors. Once we trick the drivers into using 6bpc, dithering is turned back on and the colors look better. 

My questions are: 
  • Is the panel supposed to support 8bpc and all who can't return it are getting sub-par performance? Or was a 6bpc panel intended and the manufacturer messed up on how the panel report's its color depth to the drivers?
  • If the panel is supposed to be 6bpc, is the workaround described on this thread just as good as if the manufacturer hadn't messed up?

tob

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #53 on: 03-November-16, 22:15:33 »

When I change to 6bpc, it seems like the colors look the same as any other display that I plug it into through HDMI. However, I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on whether changing to 6bpc is a "real fix" or if it is just a way to "make do" with what is a real hardware problem.

After doing some research, I found that many panels opt to have 6bpc because it makes the panels more responsive while sacrificing truly having accurate colors. It seems to me that the LGD046E panel that comes in this laptop model is likely a 6bpc panel where the manufacturer messed up and the firmware reports 8bpc capability to the NVIDIA drivers. This mismatch causes the NVIDIA drivers to not bother to do any dithering-- resulting in the banding effect and really crappy colors. Once we trick the drivers into using 6bpc, dithering is turned back on and the colors look better.

My questions are:
  • Is the panel supposed to support 8bpc and all who can't return it are getting sub-par performance? Or was a 6bpc panel intended and the manufacturer messed up on how the panel report's its color depth to the drivers?
  • If the panel is supposed to be 6bpc, is the workaround described on this thread just as good as if the manufacturer hadn't messed up?

It was pointed out before by a poster that MSI referred officially to that "fix" procedure to handle this problem.

1. MSI refused to answer me questions for the panel (manufacturer, build number) with the argument that they have signed contracts with the manufacturer which would restrict them to disclose it. Therefore I can't confirm whether it is the same panel or not (LGD046E). However, they answered me for the GE72VR-6QF, that these screens are 6 bpc (17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), 120 Hz Refresh Rate and 5ms response time panel + 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), IPS level panel - 60 Hz).

I would like to add this question:
Is the Intel graphics able to operate normally or respectively under the same settings of the "fix" to relieve the NVIDIA card for standard tasks?

ntvsav

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #54 on: 08-November-16, 09:40:38 »

I am planning to buy this notebook. Is this issue still unresolved?

spectacularbob

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #55 on: 09-November-16, 14:08:35 »

I am planning to buy this notebook. Is this issue still unresolved?

I purchased mine at the end of Oct 2016 from Amazon and it had the issue. MSI customer support told me to contact the seller for a replacement. Hopefully the replacement does not have the same issue. Unfortunately, with the number of people experiencing this issue on this thread, I think that it will. 

I will let everyone know if the replacement has the defect once it arrives.

mjaysilvestre

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #56 on: 15-November-16, 02:56:37 »

Same issue here mine is GT72VR 6RD. Im just waiting for someone to post a proper solution. For now, i will just leave my bpc set to 6 to avoid color banding.

steverphotographer

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #57 on: 15-November-16, 11:45:53 »

Just found this thread. Looks like if I'm returning it'll be for a full refund as all panels have it. 30 days until they fix it or it's going back to amazon...

Tahbo

• SERGEANT
« Reply #58 on: 15-November-16, 11:58:43 »

Seems like other people are having the same issue with that laptop.

steverphotographer

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #59 on: 15-November-16, 14:30:23 »

Screw you MSI, returning this. Two dead pixels, one centrally aswell which is distracting. I've had 4 different units, each with dead pixels, one with a noisy fan. Reading these forums leaves me with little confidence that if an issue arrises in future i'll be helped by MSI support aswell. I'm out, this banding issue is a joke and the work around is just that, a work around.

primeshooter3

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

quetzalcoaltlp

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #61 on: 18-November-16, 12:23:09 »

Does this laptop suffer this issue please let me know?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GT73VR-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Notebook/dp/B01K5QEM5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479469829&sr=8-2&keywords=MSI+GT73VR
I believe GT73VR is free of that issue.
Btw, it's a very good price for the pack you get. If i were you, I'll buy it!

nicholas.pliatsikas

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #62 on: 19-November-16, 02:47:01 »

I have been researching laptops recently, spotted this one dropped in price heavily.
So if i understand this right, you don't get banding if you reduce the bits per channel on the output device..... Which pretty much makes this useless if your a content creator or working with graphics?

primeshooter3

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #63 on: 19-November-16, 03:06:30 »

I have been researching laptops recently, spotted this one dropped in price heavily.
So if i understand this right, you don't get banding if you reduce the bits per channel on the output device..... Which pretty much makes this useless if your a content creator or working with graphics?

Correct. I had it. I had to return as had dead pixels and worse it had awful banding that went when i connected it to an external.screen. i had to reduce to 6bpc colour to stop it. Which is really crappy.

tob

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #64 on: 19-November-16, 04:08:55 »

Same issue here mine is GT72VR 6RD. Im just waiting for someone to post a proper solution. For now, i will just leave my bpc set to 6 to avoid color banding.

When running Intel graphics for standard tasks, does the color banding effect occur as well? Or is a similar setting possible, respectively?
Could anyone check this quickly?

mjaysilvestre

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #65 on: 19-November-16, 04:45:46 »

When running Intel graphics for standard tasks, does the color banding effect occur as well? Or is a similar setting possible, respectively?
Could anyone check this quickly?

GT72VR has no graphics switching read the review here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72VR-6RD-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.173836.0.html

I think the screen is a 6 bit panel + dithering to approximate the look of an 8-bit panel. Unfortunately, MSI is not giving the complete specification of the screen.

tob

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #66 on: 19-November-16, 21:36:24 »

GT72VR has no graphics switching read the review here:

Okay, I saw they list "no graphics switching" as a con. Is it just the model from CUKUSA maybe?

The adds I am looking at list the intel graphic card 530 for most msi models including GT72VR.
This card is an integrated unit of the Skylake processors (see link below). But you can't switch the graphics? Strange!
Could you deactivate the nvidia temporarily? Watching movies and running win office with nvidia isn't exactly necessary.. .

Anyone with another model has the same issue?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-530.148358.0.html

marcus_woerner

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #67 on: 20-November-16, 01:50:04 »

I am currently considering to buy the GT72VR (Germany)

I setting the Options to 6bcp a solution that brings the display quality onto the same Level as competitors (most notabely the latests Asus ROG), oder does it only somewhat improve the issue? This is not quite clear to me from the preceeding posts.

eagleixbt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #68 on: 20-November-16, 06:01:44 »

Hello, is GS73VR 6RF affected?

jackjt8

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #69 on: 22-November-16, 07:16:18 »

My Nvidia Control panel doesn't have tabs other than those under 3D settings. Anyone have any ideas?

spectacularbob

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #70 on: 22-November-16, 15:00:17 »

I purchased mine at the end of Oct 2016 from Amazon and it had the issue. MSI customer support told me to contact the seller for a replacement. Hopefully the replacement does not have the same issue. Unfortunately, with the number of people experiencing this issue on this thread, I think that it will.

I will let everyone know if the replacement has the defect once it arrives.

I received the replacement. It does have the same issue. Definitely a problem with the GT72VR 6RD model.  I will contact customer support again and post again if they offer anything useful.

nicholas.pliatsikas

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #71 on: 22-November-16, 15:57:36 »

Real shame... explains why we are seeing the price drop heavily on it... 
http://www.ebuyer.com/754412-msi-gt72vr-6re-dominator-pro-gaming-laptop-9s7-178511-040

There is a 4k model of the gt72 6 series, im assuming this version isn't affected since the panel is different. Anyone able to confirm?
Cheers
Nick

marcus_woerner

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #72 on: 23-November-16, 00:31:43 »

Real shame... explains why we are seeing the price drop heavily on it...
http://www.ebuyer.com/754412-msi-gt72vr-6re-dominator-pro-gaming-laptop-9s7-178511-040

There is a 4k model of the gt72 6 series, im assuming this version isn't affected since the panel is different. Anyone able to confirm?
Cheers
Nick

I am still wondering - if the fix described in this thread really works (6bpc instead of 8bpc), then that would be a great opportunity to get a good notebook for a decent Price.

Or does that fix come with a downside?

mjaysilvestre

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #73 on: 23-November-16, 05:45:53 »

Yes, It works. The downside is the 6bpc color depth instead of 8bpc color depth. The question here...if the screen is really capable of true 8 bpc color depth? because if you will set it to 8bpc the color banding will appear.

Click the link below for more info about color depth

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/11/09/understanding_colour_depth/3

johnmr531

• CORPORAL
« Reply #74 on: 25-November-16, 00:22:25 »

So I just ordered a GT72VR but with the 120hz screen.  Is the 120hz screen affected?
 After seeing this I'm kinda having buyers remorse.

mahraf93

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #75 on: 26-November-16, 14:42:16 »

Hi!
Does the issue still persist? How much does the resolution actually fix the screen? Can anyone be kind enough to please post some pictures?

mahraf93

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #76 on: 27-November-16, 14:08:37 »

So I just ordered a GT72VR but with the 120hz screen.  Is the 120hz screen affected?
 After seeing this I'm kinda having buyers remorse.
Hi! did you get your laptop yet? Does it have the issue still? I think I'll get the same one from amazon or newegg.

primeshooter3

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #77 on: 28-November-16, 14:04:52 »

Totally amateur work around for a laptop of this price, and total radio silence by MSI as usual. Do you realize how s$*%*$ 6BPC is for a modern screen? I sent it back and ordered a proper desktop. Good bye MSI.

johnmr531

• CORPORAL
« Reply #78 on: 28-November-16, 17:45:56 »

Hi! did you get your laptop yet? Does it have the issue still? I think I'll get the same one from amazon or newegg.

No I ordered it from Ibuypower so its still going through the motions.

mjaysilvestre

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #79 on: 01-December-16, 09:38:24 »

Today, i went to the big tech store here in the middle east, I saw all their latest MSI model laptop the GT83, GT73, GE72 and GT62VR.The first thing that i check is their color output and to my surprise all are set to 6bpc there is no other option to set it to 8bpc. The alienware and acer predator are also set to 6bpc. The only laptop in their store that has the 8bpc color is the asus ROG G75 which has the 4k display.

I cancel my return order i might get more bigger problem if i take a chance for a replacement. I'm not a display expert but i can see no lost of picture quality when it is set to 6bpc the pictures are still looking great.

eagleixbt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #80 on: 02-December-16, 10:25:59 »

Today, i went to the big tech store here in the middle east, I saw all their latest MSI model laptop the GT83, GT73, GE72 and GT62VR.The first thing that i check is their color output and to my surprise all are set to 6bpc there is no other option to set it to 8bpc. The alienware and acer predator are also set to 6bpc. The only laptop in their store that has the 8bpc color is the asus ROG G75 which has the 4k display.

I cancel my return order i might get more bigger problem if i take a chance for a replacement. I'm not a display expert but i can see no lost of picture quality when it is set to 6bpc the pictures are still looking great.
Thanks mate for posting this. You mentioned you tried the alienware as well. Was it the latest R4 model with pascal?

xirica

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #81 on: 13-December-16, 09:51:28 »

Does anyone knows if MSI already fix this problem?
I was wondering if I bought or not this notebook! 
Whats advice can you guys give me?

Thanks

johnmr531

• CORPORAL
« Reply #82 on: 14-December-16, 18:40:54 »

The first GT72VR we ordered with a 1060 and 60hz screen has arrived, no noticeable color banding issues here and the panel is set to 8bits color.  In the U.S this model seems to be ok so far.
My GT72VR with a 1070 and 120hz screen is on the way.  So all good here so far.  I've also asked around plenty and none of the sellers have noticed this issue.

cuneyt1984mail

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #83 on: 15-December-16, 02:53:43 »

venkat.chithari

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #84 on: 15-December-16, 23:04:20 »

I have the similar issue , please help me with it

venkat.chithari

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #85 on: 15-December-16, 23:10:20 »

Sorry i might have missed the screen shots

johnmr531

• CORPORAL
« Reply #86 on: 27-December-16, 23:10:24 »

The 120hz 1070 gt72vr does not have color banding problems.  The screen appears to be the same as the GT73VR

hwinfo64 shows:
Monitor Name: Chi Mei [Unknown Model: CMN1747]
Monitor Name (Manuf): N173HHE-G32 CMN N173HHE-G32 
Serial Number: Unknown
Date Of Manufacture: Week: 16, Year: 2016
Monitor Hardware ID: Monitor\CMN1747

xirica

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #87 on: 02-January-17, 05:13:20 »

I bought the MSI GT72VR 6RE (gtx1070), I got serious problems with backlight bleed and color banding (try every step and nothing works besides the removal of nvidia drivers and colors become ok)! I dunno if I ask a refund at the store or if MSI would change this LG Philips LGD046E monitor? Did anyone have sucess with RMA/Warranty of MSI?

johnmr531

• CORPORAL
« Reply #88 on: 02-January-17, 10:23:00 »

Ya thats terrible black light bleed.  Both machines the one with the 1060 and 1070 120hz only have a little around the edges.  I would just call up MSI and see what they say.

quetzalcoaltlp

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #89 on: 02-January-17, 11:43:53 »

I bought the MSI GT72VR 6RE (gtx1070), I got serious problems with backlight bleed and color banding (try every step and nothing works besides the removal of nvidia drivers and colors become ok)! I dunno if I ask a refund at the store or if MSI would change this LG Philips LGD046E monitor? Did anyone have sucess with RMA/Warranty of MSI?

This is excessive. You should RMA it.

xirica

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #90 on: 02-January-17, 15:10:48 »

This is excessive. You should RMA it.

Thanks, that's what I will do! :)

lermy3d

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #91 on: 25-January-17, 17:10:59 »

https://www.msi.com/faq/nb-2431.html

Thank you cuneyt!!! This really solved my issue!!  

I just follow the instructions to change the 8bpc for 6bpc and the banding is a thing of the past. Yeah is very non intuitive to access this by changing to a custom resolution and changing to 100Hz but heyy! color banding is a thing of the past!!

Thanks lot!!!

pk493karolin

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #92 on: 18-February-17, 07:25:48 »

Recent Nvidia updates pretty much destroyed the fix, and bandings are back. :/ It's very disheartening, since were I'm from we have no official MSI distributors, so I bought it from a local shop. Now I'm left to either try replace the laptop with the same model, most likely get the same issue and waste my time, or get another model altogether, but loose some money because of how MSI messed up :(
Are there any GT72VR 75Hz models at all without the issue? Or am I supposed to just suck it up now?
95/100Hz fixes the issue, but I'm feeling very iffy about overclocking the screen...Any ideas on how it may affect the screen in the long run?

vizitiu.vlad89

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #93 on: 26-February-17, 00:39:50 »

I have just made the mistake of buying the GT72 (1060 GTX) and I can't seem to fix this color banding issue. Changed the resolution to the custom one with 100mhz and 6bpc but the quality of the image especially in when gaming is awful.
What can it be done???

filmoret

• CORPORAL
« Reply #94 on: 11-April-17, 13:43:37 »

I got same problem and aparently the new nvidia drivers will not allow you to fix it.  I have to use the newest nvidia driver available on the MSI website for the laptop and it works fine.  Last known driver that works with this laptop is 375.63  That is after I apply the fix.

filmoret

• CORPORAL
« Reply #95 on: 11-April-17, 13:45:28 »

Its a shame too because IDK how much negative impact its having on my gaming because I'm using 6 month old drivers.

Konstantin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: 12-April-17, 07:21:17 »

Hi filmoret,

Use latest Help Desk to export the system info and post the text information in here.

Do you mean the other Nvdia driver displays badly? Or other troubles?

filmoret

• CORPORAL
« Reply #97 on: 12-April-17, 15:18:24 »

MSI wants me to send them the laptop.  Does anyone know if they fix the issue when I send it in?  Several people on this thread and others say the issue doesn't get fixed if you send it in.

paujoric

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #98 on: 18-April-17, 18:14:04 »

Hi Everyone,
I know this thread and the problem is not quite new and could be solved for the most by changing to a custom resolution and thereby automatically to a lower color depth in the Nvidia Center. It worked just fine for me without any loss in video or image quality. Until today...

Today Microsoft updated Windows 10 Home 64 bit again and my color banding problem has returned. I noticed in the device manager the LG monitor has been migrated to a Generic Pnp Monitor today (as per event log) and in the Nvidia center my custom resolution of 1920x1080 at 100Hz with 6bpc isn't listed anymore and the center won't let me recreate a new custom resolution with the same settings again. As soon as I try to test the custom resolution the screen goes black and I have to hard shut down the laptop and restart it.
Unlike other people that have posted here about the color banding problem has occurred again after a Nvidia driver update, I hadn't noticed any new or increased color banding after Nvidia's latest driver update to version 381.65, performed almost exactly 1 month ago. On my laptop the problem to be back was obviously caused by as I assume, Windows 10 migrating the monitor to a Generic Pnp Monitor. 
Any advice how this can be solved will be highly appreciated.

Konstantin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: 19-April-17, 02:49:03 »

Hi paujoric,

Use latest Help Desk to export the system info and post the text information in here.

You also could check with VGA driver and use [DDU] to remove the Nvidia driver.
http://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2110

Then, download/reinstall Nvidia VGA drivers from following MSI website.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up