Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S. Trade-In Upgrade Program for GT72 & GT80 ...***FULL DETAILS HERE***...  (Read 4626 times)

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Greetings,

I received the details of the U.S. Trade-In Upgrade Program for GT72 and GT80 owners via two emails tonight (14-Oct-2016) at 10:57 p.m. and 11:22 p.m. EDT. Here are the details direct from MSI:

Email 1 from MSI ....................................... .......

Greetings, valued gamer!

Thank you for submitting your forms for the trade-in program for your GT72 or GT80. The GT72 and GT80 with GTX 900 series are facing limitations of the power and thermal design, which will not be able to convert into GTX 10 series. We value our customers and in order to fulfill our promise for GPU upgrades, we can replace your laptop for a new model at the same cost as if you were to have been able to solely upgrade the GPU from GTX 900 series to the GTX 10 series.

Please see the details of the trade in program as outlined below:

Your Laptop Upgrade Equivalent Unit Estimated Upgrade Cost  
GT72 w/970M GT72VR Dominator w/GTX 1060  $600
GT72 w/980M GT72VR Dominator Pro w/GTX 1070    $700
GT72 w/980 GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1000
GT80 w/980 GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1000
GT80 w/970M SLI   GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $1800
GT80 w/980M SLI   GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $1400
GT80 w/980 SLI GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 SLI $2000
*Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU.

How to trade in your Laptop:

1.  If your laptop was NOT originally purchased and upgraded from one of the MSI authorized Build-to-Order reseller below.
       a)  Unit must be shipped back to MSI without any physical damage and with all original components which includes the following but not limited to:
             i.  Power Adaptor
             ii.  CPU
             iii.  Graphics Card
             iv.  Memory
             v.  SSD/HDD
       b)  If you made any component upgrades to your laptop by yourself, you must remove all upgrades and return the laptop back to us with all of its original components.

2.  If you purchased your laptop with upgraded components from one of the Build-to-Order resellers below, let us know and we will be working with those resellers to off you the trade-in program.
       a)  We will be contacting you once we have gathered everyone’s information and iron out the specifics with those resellers.

3.  MSI authorized Build-to-Order resellers:
       a)  Xotic PC
       b)  Computer Upgrade King
       c)  EXcaliber PC
       d)  Gentech PC
       e)  Mobile Advance
       f)  HID Evolution Computers

4.  MSI is not responsible for any files and data on the laptop that you trade in to us. It is your responsibility to back up all of your files as needed.

Please respond to this email with answers to the following questions:

1.  Your name that you submitted the GT Trade-in form with?
  2.  Do you want to trade in your laptop for an upgraded unit with the equivalent GTX 10 series GPU?
  3.  Did you purchase your laptop from an authorized Build-to-Order reseller? If yes, which reseller?
  4.  Any other questions, comments or concerns?

Once we have received your answers, we will contact everyone on a case-by-case basis and provide further instructions on how and where to ship your laptops, as well as how you need to pay for the upgrade cost.

Thank you for your patience and support. We look forward to working with you to ensure your satisfaction with your purchase so that you can continue to game on!

MSI GT Trade-In Upgrade Team

Email 2 from MSI ....................................... .......

Greetings, valued gamer!

As a follow-up to the previous email, here are some more details which may answer some of the questions that you might have:

1.  The new GTX 10 series laptop that you will receive will contain the equivalent components and specifications of your originally purchased laptop (equivalent CPU/RAM/SSD/HDD etc.).

2.  If you would like to trade in your laptop, you would be required to send it back to us first. We will then be conducting thorough examinations of the unit to make sure
       everything is in working order before we collect your payment and send your new GTX 10 series equivalent laptop to you.
       a)  Again, it is your responsibility to back up all of your files and data on your laptop before sending it back to us for the trade-in.

MSI GT Trade-In Upgrade Team

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 2 TB WD Blue M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL
Re: U.S. Trade-In Upgrade Program DETAILS...
« Reply #1 on: 14-October-16, 22:57:53 »

Greetings again,

The emails from MSI leave a few questions unanswered. For example, their table shows that a GT80 owner with two 980 in SLI can upgrade to two 1080 in SLI. My question is: Can an GT80 owner with two 980M in SLI also upgrade to two 1080 in SLI? If the upgrade cost is simply the cost for the new MXM modules, then the price would be $2000 regardless what GPUs you currently have---at least that's what I think. Someone will need to ask MSI about this.

But the biggest questions probably revolve around the MSI-authorized Build-to Order resellers like Xotic PC where I purchased my GT80 2QE (two 980M in SLI). They added two SSDs and did some other custom work for me. And, what if we've changed the OS. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate---do I need to restore the computer to Win 8.1?

Impressions
At first look, the prices seem high. But upon reflection, they may be a great deal. If what MSI says is correct, that the price for one GTX 1080 MXM is $1000 ($2000 for two in SLI) then it seems like a good deal to get a new notebook with a 6th-gen CPU, two M.2 slots capable of using PCIe NVMe SSDs and a larger max memory limit of 64 GB at no extra charge. You could look at it this way: MSI is throwing in additional upgrades at no cost to pay for the inconvenience of having to give up my existing notebook in a trade-in instead of upgrading it. That will naturally make a huge amount of work for me because I have to move all my software and data. And it will cost me more money because some of my expensive software has very restrictive licenses that cannot be moved to another machine---I'll have to purchase new licenses (ouch!). As for time---it would probably take me 7-14 days to configure a new machine and move all my stuff to it.

Win 7
Most readers won't care about Win 7 but those who do may be interested to know that there is a Win 7 x64 ISO Installer available that will work with Skylake machines. It has the USB 3.0/3.1 and NVMe drivers slipstreamed into it. And MSI is supporting Win 7 on some of its Skylake GT72S and GT80S notebooks with drivers and utility software. So Win 7 might be doable on these new notebooks if you do not need Win 10 and DirectX 12.0. Naturally, those users who want to use the new machines for VR will probably want to stick with the factory Win 10 installation.

-----------------------------

I'm still undecided whether or not I'll take advantage of the Trade-In offer. I wouldn't settle for anything less than two 1080 in SLI so the cost will be high. But the time it will take to negotiate my custom-built system through Xotic PC plus the time for me to move my software and files is making me think about not doing it. After all, my GT80 2QE is a very nice machine as it is.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 2 TB WD Blue M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

claudyf

• CORPORAL

My issue is that these upgrades cover the Broadwell and Haswell GT72 and GT80. I have a 6820HK 970m.. which doesn't fall in any category. I would not want to go a step down in processor even if they are targeting the GPU only. What about my CPU? they haven't addressed my GT72S model. I emailed them and waiting. my laptop isn't even a year yet,,,

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL

Greetings yet again,

I noticed one more thing: MSI is charging a different price for a pair of 1070 in SLI, depending on the original GPUs in the notebook. For example, if you have a GT80 with two 970M dGPUs in SLI, you must pay $1800 for a GT83VR with two 1070 dGPUs in SLI. But if you have a GT80 with two 980M dGPUs in SLI, you pay $1400 for the same thing (GT83VR with two 1070 dGPUs in SLI). This contradicts MSI's statement that all you are paying for is the equivalent of the 10-series MXM price.

Let's suppose for a second that the GT80 is magically compatible with a 1070 MXM so all we need to do is remove the existing 9-series MXM modules and install the 10-series MXM modules. The price for the new 1070 MXM modules would be solely based on the cost of the 1070 MXM modules---which 9-series MXM modules are currently in the notebook would be irrelevant. As far as I know MSI has never offered any kind of trade-in discount for your old MXM modules. So, it seems in this case that MSI is charging more for the trade-in if the notebook you are sending to them has less value.

MSI is fully within its rights to structure its trade-in pricing this way but they shouldn't claim "Each upgrade cost is the same as if you were to only upgrade the GPU" because this doesn't appear to be true in every case. This is a matter of accuracy and, unfortunately, MSI doesn't always state things accurately. But I still think the pricing looks very fair because of the points I've outlined previously.

And, as claudyf pointed out, how good of a deal it is will depend on your current model. Since my GT80 is the original Titan-001 model and has a Haswell CPU, it is a better deal to trade it in than someone with a later GT80 with a Broadwell CPU. But it's still a good deal either way because you are "upgrading" more than just the GPU(s)---you're also getting a new motherboard, better cooling system, Skylake CPU, support for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs and a bigger max memory limit.

The owners with the least deal are the folks who bought a Skylake GT72 or GT80 with a 9-series GPU. They already have the Skylake CPU, support for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs and the 64 GB memory limit. All they gain is the new motherboard, better cooling and 10-series GPU(s). But its still not a loss as long as the Skylake CPU you receive is as good or better. If it's not, then you lose some CPU power and you'll have to take that matter up with MSI, yourself.

I also think we need to remember that MSI was not calling the shots on this matter---NVidia was. It was NVidia that made the 10-series MXM modules incompatible and required notebook manufacturers to change their motherboards and cooling systems, and upgrade their power circuits and AC/DC adapters.

Kind regards, David

woolfman72

• PRIVATE E-2

I am in the same boat as claudyf. I have a GT72s 970m  mine was purchased at the end of January of this year. The email does not address the GT72S or the GT80S.  Also why try to limit me to what GPU you think i should have?  Who said that when i was going to upgrade that i would have only went with a 1060?  There are striking differences between the GT72S and GT72VR.  To me and i am sure alot of other people this is not an "upgrade" or even a side grade in any means besides the gpu.
these are points that i am pretty sure of  just to name a few (let me know if i am mistaken)

GT72S                                    GT72VR
Processor                          2.7gz/3.7gz unlocked                   2.6gz/3.5gz locked
                                          switchable graphics                    not switchable
                                              M.2 x 3                                         M.2 x 1

Another problem i have is that they expect us to send in our laptop and then wait for how ever long it takes them to inspect it and then send us the new laptop. It is an unreasonable expectation to make us go without a laptop. They need to come up with a different idea. I agree to trade my laptop for said laptop at an agreed upon price based on my laptop being in working condition and no damage. I give them a payment method that they can authorize for the full retail value of the upgrade laptop and then send me the new laptop and then i send in my current laptop once i get the other. Then they charge me or refund me down to the original agreed upon upgrade pricing.  Places do this all the time in other businesses. Think of it as a "core" charge.  I use and need my laptop daily.

slicker

• PRIVATE E-2

Surely MSI cannot expect us to send in our laptop with the existing GPU/s. If they had not failed to deliver the MXM 10 series cards, we would have kept our existing GPU/s to sell on. Otherwise effectively they are charging us an additional $600+(GTX 980m UK ebay sold prices). That makes the GTX1080 upgrade a cost of $1,600+. Unacceptable MSI.

slicker

• PRIVATE E-2

MSI have 2 options in my opinion:

I would suggest if they want our laptops traded in, whole with GPU's:

These figures take into account the cost of MXM 1070 and 1080 from rjtech and the value of MXM 970m and 980m on ebay.co.uk completed sales only, with an average between the 2 applied.

Why would we pay more, when the original advertised scheme would mean we would not?

coogimane1996

• PRIVATE E-2

The main selling point and sole reason I bought this was MSI was supposed to guarantee 2 generations of GPU upgrade for free. I took a gamble believing MSI would keep their word but it looks like I made a grave investment on my GT80S TITAN SLI 2 970M.....heck it they gave 1 generation of free gpu upgrade I'll forgive the false advertising I've read since 2014....

kevjak

• PRIVATE E-2

The biggest issue here, is that they want our original laptops back, so they can resell them to eat the cost of the offered upgrades. So they're triple dipping to make even more money.

Think about it:

1. You bought your laptop for $2,000 or more.
2. You send it back and pay another $1,000+ for the Pascal laptop.
3. They resell your original laptop (or just the components) a second time, for over $1,000.

Aren't they supposed to be doing US a favor, here?

Asking that the laptop we send back be in pristine condition, with all of the stock components, is a joke.  Why would any of that matter, if thy were just giving us MXM Pascals to upgrade ourselves?

There is no good will here, they're just disguising a money making scheme as something it's not. MSI should be selling us these laptops at MXM cost, without so many qualifiers in place.

matt.brown

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi MSI,

Is there any update regarding this being available in Australia? I didn't fork out $6000 for a laptop only to have promised functionality and upgradeability not honoured.

This has me wondering if you will honour upgrades you are promising you your new VR range of laptops.

I have logged support tickets and have reached out but you appear to have gone silent. Come on guys, your customer service is better than this!

pick up your game.

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL

Hi MSI, ...

Hi matt.brown,

This is a volunteer user-to-user forum. MSI does not participate here. If you want to communicate with MSI, you'll have to contact MSI Support via its Service webpage (see the link at the top of this webpage) or through your local MSI reseller.

MSI needs to hear from all GT72 and GT80 owners who are unhappy with the MXM upgrade fiasco. So please contact them directly and make your voice heard.

Kind regards, David

bugelt

• CORPORAL

Surely MSI cannot expect us to send in our laptop with the existing GPU/s. If they had not failed to deliver the MXM 10 series cards, we would have kept our existing GPU/s to sell on. Otherwise effectively they are charging us an additional $600+(GTX 980m UK ebay sold prices). That makes the GTX1080 upgrade a cost of $1,600+. Unacceptable MSI.

Pretty much.
You are losing the old GPU you could sell (effectively reducing the upgrade cost by about half) or keep it just in case anything happens to new GPU.

In addition,this:
is hardly an upgrade. In terms of performance sure, but you are getting 17" instead of 18" with mechanical keyboard.
It's scam.

chris.seifer

• CORPORAL

I am in the same boat as claudyf. I have a GT72s 970m  mine was purchased at the end of January of this year. The email does not address the GT72S or the GT80S.  Also why try to limit me to what GPU you think i should have?  Who said that when i was going to upgrade that i would have only went with a 1060?  There are striking differences between the GT72S and GT72VR.  To me and i am sure alot of other people this is not an "upgrade" or even a side grade in any means besides the gpu.
these are points that i am pretty sure of  just to name a few (let me know if i am mistaken)

GT72S                                    GT72VR
Processor                          2.7gz/3.7gz unlocked                   2.6gz/3.5gz locked
                                          switchable graphics                    not switchable
                                              M.2 x 3                                         M.2 x 1

Another problem i have is that they expect us to send in our laptop and then wait for how ever long it takes them to inspect it and then send us the new laptop. It is an unreasonable expectation to make us go without a laptop. They need to come up with a different idea. I agree to trade my laptop for said laptop at an agreed upon price based on my laptop being in working condition and no damage. I give them a payment method that they can authorize for the full retail value of the upgrade laptop and then send me the new laptop and then i send in my current laptop once i get the other. Then they charge me or refund me down to the original agreed upon upgrade pricing.  Places do this all the time in other businesses. Think of it as a "core" charge.  I use and need my laptop daily.

Yes the GT72S is not comparable to the GT72VR.  You need to go to a GT73VR 1070 model but you will lose 1 M.2 sata slot,but still have 2 m.2 Nvme slots in the GT73VR which the GT72VR no longer has....and also the optical drive.

As for your 2nd issue they do offer ship the new model to you with a credit card charge and then reimburse once they receive the original.

I also don't get why if I want to upgrade from a 1080 instead of a 1070 due to the fact that my GT72S has an 8GB 980M video card instead of the 8GB 980 Desktop....why I have to pay for the 1070 and then the difference of the MSRP between the 1080 and 1070 laptop...if all the other items are exactly the same...   once again means it isn't an "upgrade" program it is a scam that way also.   If I am just paying for the video card for an upgrade why do I have to pay twice....I should just have to pay for the 1080 upgrade $1000....not the $700 for the 1070 upgrade cost and $600.00 additional for the difference in MSRP of the 1070 and 1080 laptop.  unless I get the 1070 as a spare video card how do they justify that as an upgrade?

chris.seifer

• CORPORAL

Pretty much.
You are losing the old GPU you could sell (effectively reducing the upgrade cost by about half) or keep it just in case anything happens to new GPU.

In addition,this:
is hardly an upgrade. In terms of performance sure, but you are getting 17" instead of 18" with mechanical keyboard.
It's scam.

Actually it is a great deal for some people.  Those with Gen 4 and Gen 5 CPU GT72 computers get upgraded to Gen 6 and a CPU upgrade...but those with GT72S computers get screwed...and yes if it was a true upgrade program we would keep our video card, but they want it back to resell the computer as refurbished.  My computer was 2199.99 new a year ago...still retails for $2199.00 today with a $100 manufactures rebate....and my exact model refurbished sells for $1811.00 on newegg right now.   but they still want me to pay $700 to upgrade my GT72S computer to a GT73VR and lose my optical drive which is another $100 as I have the BU20N Blue ray burner with M disk support.  

If I chose the other option and go to a GT72VR....I lose my 6820HK CPU, my NVME drive support, 2 m.2 NVME disk slots and 1 m.2 sata slot. and also lose other slots as the GT72VR is a downgrade from the GT72s

chris.seifer

• CORPORAL

The owners with the least deal are the folks who bought a Skylake GT72 or GT80 with a 9-series GPU. They already have the Skylake CPU, support for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs and the 64 GB memory limit. All they gain is the new motherboard, better cooling and 10-series GPU(s). But its still not a loss as long as the Skylake CPU you receive is as good or better. If it's not, then you lose some CPU power and you'll have to take that matter up with MSI, yourself.

I also think we need to remember that MSI was not calling the shots on this matter---NVidia was. It was NVidia that made the 10-series MXM modules incompatible and required notebook manufacturers to change their motherboards and cooling systems, and upgrade their power circuits and AC/DC adapters.

Kind regards, David

Well actually the motherboard for my GT72S is the same as the GT73VR motherboard CM236 chipset...I lose an optical drive and the ability to have 2 m.2 sata drives in a GT73VR though....as it supports 2 Nvme m.2 drives but only 1 M.2 Sata.  So all I gain is the 10 series MXM video card and different cooling.  and a 120hz monitor with possibly no g-sync support (as opposed to the 75hz monitor with g-sync I currently have)

waterbound07

• SERGEANT

Like everyone else, I am waiting to hear back from MSI on the trade-in program and like most, not entirely happy with the initial offer etc.

My question is regarding the application I utilize mostly on my laptop which is a GT72 Dominator Pro G 6QE with 24GB DDR4, 1TB 7200, 250GB M.2, 6700HQ and 980M GPU.  I use the laptop almost entirely for video editing and audio engineering which works great as is.  I had planned to take advantage of the remaining M.2 slots and implement RAID support etc. My question is how would the GT72VR with GTX1070 GPU (my trade-in option for $700) fair against my current setup for video editing? Will the GTX1070 give me that much better performance?  Any responses are appreciated! :)

dreavy

• PRIVATE E-2

Well, brilliant! Here I am in the UK wandering over to the MSI website to check if there are any new driver updates for my 6 month old GT72s 6QE and what do I find? What I find is that the very reason I bought a Dominator Pro gaming laptop, instead of other much cheaper options, has now been dropped by MSI. So my GTX980m is not, after all, upgradable and in fact I am stuffed, stuck with the 980m, because MSI find they can no longer honour their very clear claim for an 'ungradeable' GPU.
This was the deal-maker for me, it set the MSI apart from the competition, and was the single most compelling reason to buy a Dominator notebook. GPU upgradability was a game-changer for me, it puts notebooks like this into serious competition with desktop rigs in a way not before thought of as possible. So what have you done MSI - pulled the plug, thanks, thanks a lot!
Moreover, I haven't heard a thing from MSI, not a squeak, I find all this out quite accidently. And whoppy do, they are rolling out a trade-in program in the US so that those being
mugged off over there won't make too much noise (and hopefully the UK and Europe will not notice until it is too late perhaps?). Great business model this MSI, love the way you look after your customers. And there's more! If I'm oh so lucky that they do roll something similar out over in the UK I can look forward to having pay a small fortune to upgrade (if it is that from what has been said here) to trade my machine in before it is 'too late' - except, and here's the crux, I don't have another $1000 at the moment to throw at this machine!
You see, I'm a pensioner (yes, really, an old-age gamer, we really do exist, been a gamer since 'gaming' was invented) and my wife and I have a small budget to live on. To get this notebook I had to save up a lot and my plan was to save more over the years I have left to upgrade the GPU on my GT72s - maybe 2-3 years time at soonest. So where does this all leave me MSI? I could have bought a GE70 Apache Pro model that would have done everything I wanted at present for more or less half the price, but of course with no upgradability available for the GPU. I am very very disappointed at this point in time, the upgrade would have extended the life of my GT72s significantly. In 2-3 years time what will be my options if I can't afford to 'trade in/up' now?
What MSI should be doing is thinking about compensating those in my position (you know MSI, with this '$' or in my case this '£') and such compensation should reflect both the difference between the upgradeable and non-upgradeable models, and the inconvenience and disappointment caused to their customers by this failure of their machines to meet the specifications claimed at the point of purchase. These notebooks effectively become both mis-sold and not fit for purpose regarding the expressly documented and advertised 'upgradeability'.

enforcer72

• PRIVATE E-2

We had this posted over at https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276882.0 about the upgrade program but its been buried and never answered.

dreavy

• PRIVATE E-2

Yeh, there is even less going on there than on this thread - which makes me wonder why there are not more owners complaining - the 'upgradability' is a big issue and reason for purchase surely?

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL

... the 'upgradability' is a big issue and reason for purchase surely?

Hi dreavy,

I seriously doubt it. It had zero influence on my decision to purchase my GT80 2QE Titan. It just doesn't make much sense for a variety of reasons.

Too expensive -- First, an MXM upgrade has to be done by an authorized MSI Service Center and the cost for the upgrade is just too high. When researched the GT80 Titan and learned about the details of the MXM upgrades, I realized that it made more sense to buy the fastest dGPUs in SLI that MSI offered so my GT80 had the best graphics acceleration at the time of my purchase. That way it would last as long as I needed without an upgrade.

Can't upgrade CPU -- Second, the fact that I couldn't also upgrade the CPU was another deterrent. When I'm ready to upgrade to a more expensive pair of dGPUs, I won't want to strap them to an old CPU. Computer tech changes too fast to upgrade one without the other. My GT80 Titan has a 4th-gen Haswell CPU---the 5th and 6th gen CPUs had not been released yet when I purchased my Titan. But even if my Titan had the latest 6th-gen Skylark CPU, it would still make upgrading to an expensive pair of new dGPUs illogical in a couple of years because newer CPUs would be out by then.

Don't buy early -- If I knew that a 10-series NVidia dGPU was just around the corner and I wanted it, I would have waited to buy my notebook until it was available. To buy a notebook 6 months or so before it comes out would be a waste of money because I'd have to pay a lot more in the long run going the upgrade route than if I had waited. Considering your fixed income, it sounds like you made an unwise decision. Even if a 10-series MXM upgrade was possible and available for your notebook, you would have spent less if you'd simply waited to buy until the dGPU you wanted was available so you could avoid having to upgrade.

---------------

But my view about the wisdom of buying a top-tier gaming notebook with the expectation of upgrading the MXM dGPUs does not reduce my disgust for the way MSI has handled this and other issues. They seem to be making one stupid mistake after another. Rushing products to market before they are ready (Win 10 is still a fiasco which they have not yet figured out how to manage). Promising upgradability that they cannot deliver because they're too stupid to realize that, based on past experience with the ever-changing MXM standard, today's motherboards will probably NOT be compatible with many of tomorrow's MXM graphics modules. Making risky configurations standard like striped RAID arrays. Ruining the audio with stupid software choices and configurations. Spec'ing sub-par IPS LCD panels that support only 6 bits/channel when they advertise 8 bits/channel in virtually all of their promotional materials. Providing such poor documentation. Not providing a list of approved memory modules for their notebook motherboards. Not providing a list of approved M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs for their Skylark notebooks. Providing such poor technical support.

There's a lot not to like about MSI.

Finally, this thread is about the U.S. trade-in program. It is NOT about the U.K. program. None of us work for MSI or represent them. Nor does MSI participate here. So you are just wasting your time complaining here. Talk to your local MSI representative. And the next time you ever buy a computer, do your due diligence beforehand and learn what upgrades cost (MSI MXM dGPU upgrades have NEVER been cheap and it was widely known that NVidia 10-series dGPUs would NOT be cheap either) and learn what kind of company you are buying from BEFORE you buy. An MSI gaming notebook is about the last computer I would ever recommend to pensioner. The fact that you made this choice is bizarre!

Kind regards, David

dreavy

• PRIVATE E-2

Many thanks for your detailed reply David. You make some very valid points and I certainly agree with many of them too - especially that I may well have made the wrong decision. That happens, and it happens no matter how well informed your choice might be. However, you do make the mistake, or so it seems, of thinking I just went out and bought the first notebook I found - I didn't. I probably did an awful lot more research than you would imagine (oh at not a little 'due diligence'! - where do you people get this stuff?)- but gaming is a small part of my life (and it is true I was not aware how near to new GPU tech we were). But here's the thing - it doesn't matter, not one jot. MSI made an advertised claim and promise and these notebooks do not fit that specification, simples. You might well be right, too, about the economics, perhaps all said and done it's just not (sensibly) viable to upgrade. But, that's my call when the time comes, not MSI's, not yours. The option should be there, that's the claim, that's the promise, regardless.

Now on to the best bit; I didn't ask you (or anyone else) what you would recommend for a pensioner(??) - just how ridiculous is this comment that you think you are in a position to recommend anything at all for me? Seriously? And my choice is bizarre?? What is really bizarre is that you went through some clearly flawed cognitive processes that resulted in you thinking it is 'bizarre'!!! Groundless ageism may be more the point and motivation here because, let's be honest sunshine, you think that some old geezer like me has no business 'gaming' at all, right? Grow up and get over yourself (it'll take a while I know). I, on the other hand, reserve the right to never grow up - I will be gaming until I draw my last breath if I can. Perhaps one day David you will be in my position and you will remember these thoughts of yours (I'll be long gone, but you might even remember me).
Furthermore, you are right it's not a UK forum or site (clearly). However, I am on a great many forums, and have been for good deal longer than you have I expect. I have found, over many years, most US forum members to be very polite, and helpful, wherever you are from (not, take note, rude and disrespectful, at least without good reason). Yes, I was letting off steam at MSI, in the (vain) hope they might pick up and reply - I was wrong, so what, the sniping about not a 'UK' site was uncalled for and, once again, do I detect a problem here?
It may please you to know your best advice I have taken and I am indeed following up my complaint with MSI directly - what I was doing here was trying to find out (from MSI or members here) a little more before I took a formal route. Do feel free not to respond as I have no intention of pursuing this thread further (though I'm sure you will desperately need to tell me again about being a bizarre pensioner from the UK who has no business gaming or owning an MSI machine!)
Lastly, some genuine advice for you David - get out of you bedroom a bit more. There's a world with real people in it and they are actually more interesting than you think.

davidTopic starter

• COLONEL

... let's be honest sunshine, you think that some old geezer like me has no business 'gaming' at all, right? Grow up and get over yourself (it'll take a while I know). ...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. I'm on the ground rolling with laughter. My first programming language was Fortran IV on an IBM mainframe with punch cards. Plus a PDP-11 with punch tape. (For the youngsters reading this, that means I started programming computers in the mid 1970's before "personal computers" had been invented.) I doubt you are older than me. There's zero age discrimination here except in your mind!!!

Goodbye...

SAiLO

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

MSI made an advertised claim and promise and these notebooks do not fit that specification
That hits the nail on the head. MSI are running a trade up program for GT72/GT80 owners to resolve this. 
Check here: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=274983.0
and here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gt72-gt72s-and-gt80-gt80s-owners-gpu-upgrade-discussion.795236/
GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO 
SOLD: GT72S 6QF DRAGON G 29TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION - i7-6820HK, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 980 
SOLD: GT72 2QE i7-4710, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 512 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 980M
Pages: [1]   Go Up