Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GT62VR 7RE fans only run after cooler booster is pressed  (Read 1642 times)

chrisicoolTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey everyone, I purchased this laptop a little over a month ago and It was running pretty flawlessly until I updated to the latest bios. Then all of a sudden the fans kept going off and on, off and on. Both GPU and CPU were doing this. Then a few days later the fans would not run at all in bios or until Dragon Center had been loaded. A few days after that I had to press the cooler booster button in order for the fans to kick on at all.  

Steps taken: 

Updated to the latest EC
Uninstalled dragon center, reinstalled dragon center to latest version
reset bios via pin on bottom of laptop
Uninstalled dragon center and installed Silent option(works with kaby lake), and had some success in keeping the CPU fan on without pressing cooler booster but only after OS is loaded and software loads(fans don't run in bios or on boot)
reverted to old bios 307

Product info export: 
------------------
System Information
------------------
Serial Number:                
Product Name:                 GT62VR 7RE
OS:                           Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ver.1703(OS build 15063.0.amd64fre.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Windows Product Key:          
HDI Build:                    ZS7-16L2RM4-CS1   3.TC5.A40.29.0.1  
BIOS Version:                 E16L2IMS.308
BIOS Release Date:            2017/04/19
EC Version:                   16L2EMS1.1070221201715:51:28
CPU:                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory:                       16 GB @ 1200 MHz
                               - 8192 MB, DDR4-2400, SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH    
                               - 8192 MB, DDR4-2400, SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH    
Graphics:                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8192 MB
VBIOS Version:                86.04.31.00.0d,8388608
Drive:                        SSD, KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3256GG5, 238.47 GB
Drive:                        HDD, HGST HTS721010A9E630, 931.51 GB
Network:                      Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network:                      Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Network:                      Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1435 Wireless Network Adapter
SHIFT mode:                   None
Power Plan:                   Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance)

Currently I have SCM, dragon center, and killer networking suite uninstalled and just running Silent Option with an Advanced Fan profile.  One more thing I should note is that if the computer goes into idle or shuts down from windows bluetooth stops working and there is a USB device that can't be recognized by windows. Each time I either have to reboot until it pops back up, or change legacy usb from off/auto/on to another setting for the bluetooth to show back up. 

Has anyone had experience with this and has found a solution? Contacted tech support already and they suggested that I reset the bios, which I had done.  Trying to avoid having to RMA in the long run and waiting to hear back from tech support again with some other options.

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: GT62VR 7RE fans only run after cooler booster is pressed
« Reply #1 on: 29-May-17, 12:00:03 »

You may need to do an EC reset.  Unplug the laptop and look on the backside for a paper clip hole.  Press that hole for 45 seconds (or press it twice, total) then replug AC and power on.

chrisicoolTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 29-May-17, 13:01:50 »

Thank you for the response, 

Gave it a go and reset the EC holding down on the pin with ac adapter out and the laptop powered off for 45sec without any luck.  CPU fan didn't kick over again until Silent option loaded, and GPU fan didn't kick over until I hit the cooler booster on and off.

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 29-May-17, 15:39:11 »

Sorry that didn't work out.
Your best bet is probably to do an RMA.  But first see if you can actually do a CMOS clear.  First, uninstall Dragon Center and Intel XTU (if installed).  Then try the CMOS clear if it works.  On the GT73VR, you do this (doesn't require an unplug) by holding down the power button (when off or to turn it off)) for over 40 seconds, and then releasing (the power light should remain OFF when doing this).  This will usually cause a power on, with no POST, then a power cycle, then either another power cycle or a no post complete freeze (if after a minute it doesn't cycle).  If that happens, just power off by holding power for 5 seconds, then power on and it should power cycle two more times, then you can press DEL to enter the CMOS and load default values.

I do not know if this method of resetting the CMOS works on the gT72VR but you have no loss in trying.  See if that works and restores proper fan control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up