Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TDR Issues on GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro  (Read 6613 times)

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
TDR Issues on GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro
« on: 24-November-16, 05:34:41 »

Hoping to find some help here. I am getting really frustrated with this laptop.

I bought this laptop (GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro) about 2 weeks ago and ever since I've been plagued with constant TDRs when playing games. So far it has happened on Tera, Shadow of Mordor, and FFXIII-2. I noticed that Windows will show 2 errors back to back with 2-4 second spacing whenever it happens. It has never happened while playing Witcher 3, Transistor or while benchmarking with 3DMark (Firestrike, Time Spy)

I’ve tried so many things in hopes it will fix this but no dice including:
  • Run a complete memtest (~7 hours) with zero errors and warnings.
  • Install Nvidia drives (DDU + install) 375.95, 375.89?, and MSI’s 375.63 .
  • Downclock GPU Core by 100MHz
  • Clean install Windows 10
  • Update BIOS and VBIOS to latest version.

I included a screenshot of MSI Afterburner (just installed it to show the system while it happens) It’s not visible but I noticed at the time the TDR happens, my GPU Bus usage shoots up to 4 billion percent which is freaking weird.
I’m also linking a speccy of the laptop. You’ll notice I swapped the 1TB HDD for a 500GB SSD.

Anyone else getting the same issue? I’m hoping this is a driver problem and not hardware.
I appreciate all the help I can get.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT
Re: TDR Issues on GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro
« Reply #1 on: 24-November-16, 10:06:23 »

Same for me. I think most of us got a defected gpu... It ins't a driver issue because i've tried at least 5-6 drivers version and after updated bios and vbios it still randomly crashes. 

Downclocking is out of the question. We bought it for gaming and lowering the clock makes no sense...

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 27-November-16, 00:05:17 »

After a couple of days of no TDR problems, I get this today:

5 consecutive TDRs followed by a complete system crash. Notice how you're hitting the voltage limit, power limit, or some crazy 4 billlion % BUS Usage.

I recorded the message I got on every TDR: Auto-detect HMD & Optimize system for VR. Please Plug in the power.

Power is plugged in so what gives?

I also recorded GPU power consumption using HWiNFO64 and it seems that as soon as the GPU hits 95+ Watts, a TDR happens.

Once I get a TDR, HWiNFO64 stops recording power consumption. This has happened every time my GPU power consumption exceeded 95 watts/

Finally, using HWiNFO64 I looked at the battery voltage and I'm not 100% sure on this, but If power is always supplied through the battery then I should expect 19.5V voltage reading, just like the power supply or else the system is getting less power than advertised. But guess what?

HWiNFO64 shows a battery voltage of 16.7V and assuming it supplies the same amps as the power supply (11.8A) you get 197 Watts, not the advertised 230 Watt power.

I'm beginning to think this is a power problem, not a GPU problem. Everything indicates that the power supplied to the system in insufficient.

Edit: I stress tested my GPU using Unigen Heaven and I did get it to 127 Watt with no TDR so I'm guessing it's not lack of power. I ran it again on DX9 and within 1 minute it crashed. I noticed something new. All my TDRs happened when GPU power was 95.5XX Watts. My guess, either the BIOS or the GPU try to do something at that power which causes it to fail. None of my crashes happened at any other power value.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 27-November-16, 02:03:21 »

I think is not a power supply issue, because with some games my gpu hits 115-120w and didn't crash, while some moments it crashes with less power (about 80-90w). However i think is more related to an unstable core clock or a vcore overvoltage. What i noticed is that every times the core clock jumps over 1850 mhz and vcore reaches 1,065v it gets unstable and crashes.

The power supply needs to put out higher voltage to charge the battery while computer is running, so what you are monitoring is just right about 16,4v-16,8v.

Anyway you can try with another power supply or the 330w version, but i'm sure that is not the problem.

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 27-November-16, 02:33:38 »

Oh my crashes all happen at 1850MHz and anything over 1.022V, but I've had it run very long with 1.044V and 1850MHZ without a crash. The only common thing I can see right now between all my crashes is 95.5W power consumption. Higher than that, no crash, lower than that, no crash, only if exactly 95.5W of power is used I crash.

mr0aws

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 22-December-16, 17:47:23 »

I been having the same problems with my GT73VR-6RE-Titan and I started to use the 330w power supply, still crashing.   I also removed  most of MSI stuff from my laptop.  I still crash but not as much as before.   Also some games crash on High performance settings but work fine on power saver or Balanced.  So yeah its got to be a problem with the MoBo.

Konstantin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 22-December-16, 20:06:09 »

I saw another post in following link. The Boost Clock of GTX1070 SPEC is 1645MHz.  

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276367.21

sportkung

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #7 on: 22-December-16, 20:34:01 »

It doesn’t look like the problem of power module. You could try to check following 2 items first.

1. Remove Dragon Center and install latest version 1.2.1611.0901 from MSI website.

2. Update latest Nahimic with following steps.
(1) Download latest audio driver and Nahimic from http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/Audio driver_6.0.1.7960 and Nahimic_2.3.10.zip
(2) Remove the old Nahimic and reboot the system.
(3) Remove the old audio driver and reboot the system.
(4) Install new audio driver and reboot the system.
(5) Install new Nahimic and reboot the system.

Besides, maybe you could export the whole system information by latest Help Desk and post that info in here. Let forum guys to help you to check the system configuration and software environment.

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 22-December-16, 21:08:25 »

It doesn’t look like the problem of power module. You could try to check following 2 items first. 1. Remove Dragon Center and install latest version 1.2.1611.0901 from MSI website. 2. Update latest Nahimic with following steps. (1) Download latest audio driver and Nahimic from http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/Audio driver_6.0.1.7960 and Nahimic_2.3.10.zip (2) Remove the old Nahimic and reboot the system. (3) Remove the old audio driver and reboot the system. (4) Install new audio driver and reboot the system. (5) Install new Nahimic and reboot the system. Besides, maybe you could export the whole system information by latest Help Desk and post that info in here. Let forum guys to help you to check the system configuration and software environment.

I've done all that and it didn't help. The first post has a speccy link with my system info. BTW, the latest audio driver is 8010 and Nahimic 2.3.12

I sent my laptop to MSI, they reset it to factory setting and updated BIOS and EC. They told me they fixed it and when I showed up at the service center to run Shadow of Mordor, the GPU crashed in 2 minutes. That's when they said they were going to replace my GPU but even after that my laptop crashes. I tried updating the BIOS to the latest one (released 10 days ago) to no avail. This laptop is more trouble than it's worth.

sportkung

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #9 on: 27-December-16, 22:44:52 »

You could try to adjust game settings for those games. 

Or you could consider using some tools like (NVIDIA Inspector or MSI Afterburner) to set the proper frequency for GPU.

warpedspaceman

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #10 on: 30-December-16, 16:06:29 »

Hi there guys

Yeah ive had constant crashes since purchase, but as i had a game that ran fine, i stopped thinking about it, until i then tryed playing about a further 7 games, where after 5/10 minutes they would crash, with most of the time it resulting in a hard boot. Im now in the process of RMA. And as someone else said, i bought this for gaming and i bought it as it was over clocked for even more power. I didnt spend £2.5 to downclock anything at this price. MSI need to sort them selves out and get some proper quality control on thier items, im disgusted in paying this much for a gaming laptop that cant run any games. Something better be getting fixed on this laptop! Im straight up going ASUS next time, they can take my hard earned money.

johnwilliams2022

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 30-December-16, 18:47:47 »

I been having the same problems with my GT73VR-6RE-Titan and I started to use the 330w power supply, still crashing.   I also removed  most of MSI stuff from my laptop.  I still crash but not as much as before.   Also some games crash on High performance settings but work fine on power saver or Balanced.  So yeah its got to be a problem with the MoBo.

IM having the exact same problems with my GT73VR 6RE Titan 1070 ..

email neilreid@msi.com the more that complain the better and quicker its sorted .

if im honest its the Nvidia drivers that dont work with the MXM cards and bad mobo .

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #12 on: 08-January-17, 10:00:39 »

After several days of crash free gaming (setting power options to balanced and MSI Dragon Center to Comfort) I ended up shutting down my laptop. Powering on my laptop seems to have done something to the power settings and now I'm crashing again.
I checked a dump file and noticed this message:
PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD 
NVIDIA
NVIDIA Corporation
BIOS Certificate Check Failed!!!

Seems like something is up with power states, GPU boost, etc..
I just wish I had a way to completely disable GPU boost.

madhavshenvi

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 09-January-17, 04:32:04 »

I am having a similar issue. My laptop too runs fine on battery, but has multiple TDR issues when the power supply is connected.

Sucks when you pay through your nose to get a premium gaming laptop that you expect will run hassle free.

What do you folks suggest, should I get an RMA done or wait for MSI to fix this?

EDIT: I found an interesting post on NBR, I'll try out the fixes listed in the post and report back.

ratto.michel

• SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 09-January-17, 13:24:56 »

Im waiting for mine coming back for the second time... i hope they will replace the gpu instead of tell me to reinstall dragon center lol

@Sylo: Before resend mine i asked directly to msi a way to completely disable gpu boost because it helps to reduce most tdr issues, but didnt get any answer... i also opened a thread about it and seems nobody knows.

After almost 3 month i didnt find a way to fix it... however im pretty sure 99% it's faulty gpu or motherboard

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 17-May-17, 21:36:42 »

I saw another post in following link. The Boost Clock of GTX1070 SPEC is 1645MHz.  

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276367.21

1070 graphics card was designed to reach 1900mhz with default boost mode.

Dont accept that solution to fix your 2000€ laptop, we need to show that we are not happy with this situation.

"The render test of GPU-Z was executed with up to 1900 MHz in the case of the GT62VR"

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro-Notebook-Review.171215.0.html

Nvidia "only" advertises a Turbo range of 1443-1645 MHz, but the chip can reach up to 1900 MHz (GPU-Z Render test)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R3-Notebook-Review.196584.0.html

Konstantin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 18-May-17, 02:03:55 »

Are you talking about the over SPEC is the correct usage? I doubt that actually could work.

You should talk to Nvidia and let them modify the recommended SPEC.

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 18-May-17, 18:16:37 »

Are you talking about the over SPEC is the correct usage? I doubt that actually could work.

You should talk to Nvidia and let them modify the recommended SPEC.

What im saying is that the picture you shared is the actual official clock of the 1070 pascal laptop card.

Indeed.

But every manufacter/brand, has his own cooling system, and they do their own overclock/clock limit of their cards.
In this case, the 1070 card on msi laptop is made to go above official 1650mhz:
- working with default clock should reach in boost mode 1900mhz
- the shift mode, turbo mode, comfort mode, is there for a reason

Conclusion:

- 1650mhz limit is not a fix for a defective gpu.
- theres lots of people with pascal msi laptops working fine with default official vbios and they overclock to 1900/2000mhz with no problems.
- the official fix to crash problems is to change or repair the 1070 gpu

Simply as that.

All my TDRs happened when GPU power was 95.5XX Watts. My guess, either the BIOS or the GPU try to do something at that power which causes it to fail. None of my crashes happened at any other power value.[/size]

When you had a TDR at 95 W, your gpu clock was running at what speed?

syloTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 19-May-17, 03:38:34 »

it was anywhere from 15xx to 18xx MHz. So far I haven't experienced any crash for the last... 3 months? I am using a different VBIOS which is much more stable than the msi one. the default boost clock is 1650MHz but I overclocked it to 1850MHz using dragon center and it wouldn't crash at all.
VBIOS is 86.04.5B.00.8A

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 19-May-17, 20:55:54 »

it was anywhere from 15xx to 18xx MHz. So far I haven't experienced any crash for the last... 3 months? I am using a different VBIOS which is much more stable than the msi one. the default boost clock is 1650MHz but I overclocked it to 1850MHz using dragon center and it wouldn't crash at all.
VBIOS is 86.04.5B.00.8A

Hey stylo, thank you for your feedback, you were the only one that came back to discuss this subject !

I know about the 3rd party chinese vbios, but theres some bad feedback about it, in the "official" thread about this vbios,

Tell me something, have you tried downclock your gpu using the default vbios?

Did it fix the problem?

luigimariadimaio

• SERGEANT
  • Do. Or do not. There is no try
« Reply #20 on: 20-May-17, 08:13:39 »

Hi guys,
I did not understand if the TDR error only happens to some people or it is a problem of everyone sooner or later.
I have a GT73VR 7RE bought in February and I have not found this error at the moment, I tested games like the witcher 3, star wars battlefront, wolfstain the new order.
I updated the BIOS to E17A1IMS.313 to fix a bug with CPU frequency management, but I did not update the VBIOS as I did not encounter any problems.
At the moment I mount VBIOS 86.04.31.00.0D, if it can be helpful I can save it and send it to you.
MSI GT73VR 7RE
I7-7700HQ, 16Gb Ram, Display Full HD 120Hz, GTX 1070 8Gb

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #21 on: 20-May-17, 10:13:33 »

I dont know why people are making such a big deal over these TDR Errors anyway.
One reason I went with AMD for desktop cards ever since 9800 Pro is because of all the posts about Nvidia owners having TDR errors on various hardware and drivers.  I remember some were driver bugs, some were substandard hardware.  I'm honestly new to Nvidia but its pretty clear there's probably flaky hardware at work again.

One thing I did notice was this morning, boost clocks on "Valley" intermission screen (and end of benchmark screen) did not exceed set boost clocks at all, whereas yesterday it was going past 2000 mhz and "VREL" flag being sent.  So either typical Nvidia driver issues again, or it was because I set Nvidia drivers to "prefer max performance" and power plan (in control panel) to high performance.  Either way, you can try "high performance" in power options and "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia 3D settings.

kasito

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #22 on: 20-May-17, 12:59:54 »

Hola chicos,
que no entendían si el error TDR sólo le ocurre a algunas personas o se trata de un problema de todo el mundo tarde o temprano.
Tengo un GT73VR 7RE compró en febrero y no he encontrado este error en el momento, he probado juegos como The Witcher 3, guerra de las galaxias frente de batalla, wolfstain el nuevo orden.
He actualizado la BIOS para E17A1IMS.313 para corregir un error con la gestión de frecuencia de la CPU, pero no actualizar el VBIOS ya que no tuve ningún problema.
Por el momento montes VBIOS 86.04.31.00.0D, si puede ser útil que puedo guardarlo y enviarlo a usted.

Hola si se puede hacer una copia y subirlo Le agradecería, lo siento por mi Inglés, lo hice con el traductor de Google, gracias

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #23 on: 24-May-17, 15:24:06 »

Hi guys,
I did not understand if the TDR error only happens to some people or it is a problem of everyone sooner or later.
I have a GT73VR 7RE bought in February and I have not found this error at the moment, I tested games like the witcher 3, star wars battlefront, wolfstain the new order.
I updated the BIOS to E17A1IMS.313 to fix a bug with CPU frequency management, but I did not update the VBIOS as I did not encounter any problems.
At the moment I mount VBIOS 86.04.31.00.0D, if it can be helpful I can save it and send it to you.

Thank you very much for feedback,

Please tell me your laptop serial number,

- That VBIOS, 86.04.31.00.0D , is the default VBIOS that your laptop came with? you did not updated the VBIOS?

- Are you overclocking your gpu or cpu?

- Play this games: Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, Bulletstorm Remaster, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Project Cars, Doom, you need to play games that are low-level stress at max settings

- Run 3D Mark Ice Storm, 5 times, and tell me if everything is OK

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #24 on: 26-May-17, 22:29:01 »

@stylo, you have a private message.

soomo101

• CORPORAL
« Reply #25 on: 27-May-17, 09:11:34 »

use free DPC Latency Checker to check drivers for conflict http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #26 on: 27-May-17, 14:52:54 »

Busy feeding that post count spamming useless software, eh soomo101 ?

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #27 on: 29-May-17, 21:37:05 »

Busy feeding that post count spamming useless software, eh soomo101 ?

Its a Spambot, report it
Pages: [1]   Go Up