Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members, please remember to read the Forum Rules and the Posting Guide before posting for the first time!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound only comes out of 1 speaker...  (Read 1343 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

UsuL

  • Guest
Sound only comes out of 1 speaker...
« on: 03-September-03, 10:13:19 »

what can i say...subject says its all.. ive got a MSI GNB Max FISR (MS-6565) board and the on board sound card only produces sound through 1 speaker of my system (worked perfectly on previous sys..) Specs: 1.7 P4...1 Gig Ram...wierd thing is that when i pull jack OUT approx 1 cm (jack is STILL IN...BUT NOT ALL THE WAY OUT...yeah confusing) the sound comes out in BOTH speakers but at much REDUCED volume...works same with sound sys and headphones...i have tried the software which recommends 2 versus 4 versus 6 speaker...same result..any ideas?
thanks in advance  :D
Logged

Petej61

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 03-September-03, 12:51:59 »

It could be that you have a motherboard standoff post (what your motherboard is fixed to the case by) in the wrong position - this can shortout traces or pins on the motherboard

Remove the motherboard and check all the posts line up with screw holes in the board - if not reposition/remove them (usualy by unscrewing or bending out of brackets in the case)
Logged

MRSAVYINQUIRY

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 11-April-04, 05:49:17 »

If one of the screws of the motherboard is not mounted to the case, would that cause one of the speakers not to play?
Logged

zeizelbird

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 11-April-04, 09:32:39 »

It obviously depends on which screw it is, and the design of the board, but it's entirely possible.  The case is used for what's called Chassis Ground, which is generally considered 'universal zero' as far as the circuit design is concerned.  Since screws are typically used to connect the circuit ground to chassis ground, missing a screw where one is expected could cause a 'floating' ground (iow - not really ground).

Granted, most boards are designed with a ground plane, which would make a single screw unnecessary, but it's entirely possible that an on-board sound processor would be designed with a seperate ground plane.  Using the main ground plane might introduce too much electrical noise for the sound processor to cope with, which could significantly reduce sound quality.

So yes, a single missing screw could very possibly mess up ground for your sound processor, and an imperfect ground means a very screwy system (pun intended).


BTW - If you were asking about Petej61's suggestion, I think he's referring to the possibility of a metal standoff on the case shorting out vias on the bottom of the board.
Logged

kandaq

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 11-April-04, 12:59:14 »

I have the same problem with my 865PS. I get stereo sound if i pull the jack out halfway. Maybe you can try the same as well.
Logged

NovJoe

  • Hawk
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19148
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 11-April-04, 14:39:38 »

Any jumpers being removed for Front Panel Sounds?
Logged
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

wsoul2k

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 14-April-04, 19:17:46 »

I have the same problem also

but  if i pull the jack out halfway i dont get stero i just get the same CHANEL on booth speakers




Quote
Originally posted by kandaq
I have the same problem with my 865PS. I get stereo sound if i pull the jack out halfway. Maybe you can try the same as well.
Logged

wsoul2k

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 14-April-04, 19:22:28 »

I have 2 empty screw and one of it is near to the jacks....i will try some changes and after that i report back


just to add some info

in my system only the left front chanel is not working

if i change to 4 chanels all the others 3 are working

Quote
Originally posted by zeizelbird
It obviously depends on which screw it is, and the design of the board, but it's entirely possible.  The case is used for what's called Chassis Ground, which is generally considered 'universal zero' as far as the circuit design is concerned.  Since screws are typically used to connect the circuit ground to chassis ground, missing a screw where one is expected could cause a 'floating' ground (iow - not really ground).

Granted, most boards are designed with a ground plane, which would make a single screw unnecessary, but it's entirely possible that an on-board sound processor would be designed with a seperate ground plane.  Using the main ground plane might introduce too much electrical noise for the sound processor to cope with, which could significantly reduce sound quality.

So yes, a single missing screw could very possibly mess up ground for your sound processor, and an imperfect ground means a very screwy system (pun intended).


BTW - If you were asking about Petej61's suggestion, I think he's referring to the possibility of a metal standoff on the case shorting out vias on the bottom of the board.
Logged

cjay_cdr

  • Guest

Heya,-

That suggestion of the front-panel audio jumpers is probably right-on. So you might want to take a look at the manual. In that manual you'll find that you need two jumpers on 5-6 and 9-10...

By the way: Pulling out the jack-plug will probably not solve your problem, because it's not mechanical. When you pull out the jack-plug half way, what you'll do is short-circuit one of the audio channels to your output.
You can easily figure this out when you:
- Pull out the jack until you hear sound from two speakers
- Start playing some music
- Open the volume/audio manager from windows (or winamp or whatever)
- Change the balance from center to left and right channel.

>> You will probably still hear sound from 2 channels with no difference between left and right channel...

Oh, and by the way... I think there's a driver update for that system aswell, so you might want to update your drivers. With the new LiveUpdate 3 software I didn't encounte any problems in updating mines, so that should be allright ;)
Logged

wsoul2k

  • Guest

You  are correct i found the this miss jumper also    :angryfire: to be more exact in my case the 9-10 was missed

after pluging it my problem was solved  :-D)




Quote
Originally posted by cjay_cdr
Heya,-

That suggestion of the front-panel audio jumpers is probably right-on. So you might want to take a look at the manual. In that manual you'll find that you need two jumpers on 5-6 and 9-10...

By the way: Pulling out the jack-plug will probably not solve your problem, because it's not mechanical. When you pull out the jack-plug half way, what you'll do is short-circuit one of the audio channels to your output.
You can easily figure this out when you:
- Pull out the jack until you hear sound from two speakers
- Start playing some music
- Open the volume/audio manager from windows (or winamp or whatever)
- Change the balance from center to left and right channel.

>> You will probably still hear sound from 2 channels with no difference between left and right channel...

Oh, and by the way... I think there's a driver update for that system aswell, so you might want to update your drivers. With the new LiveUpdate 3 software I didn't encounte any problems in updating mines, so that should be allright ;)
Logged

hardstyle_raver

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 26-June-04, 02:38:53 »

Can someone please explain to me what i need to do to fix the sound problem i only get audio from the irght speaker when plugged into the rear line out.

When plugged into the front line ou of my pc i get both speakers working.

What is all this jumpers stuff.

I am using a MSI 865PE
Can someone show me a diagram or soemthing i am a novice but know my way around a pc just motherboards a bit confusing
Logged

NovJoe

  • Hawk
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19148
  • ~DeSTinY~ Destined 2 Be HeRe ^^
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 26-June-04, 02:46:00 »

It should be in your mobo manuel as it'll show you where exactly the jumpers are place for what sort of purpose  ;-)), or you can download the manuel online at MSI website if you don't have one.
Logged
HTPC - DVI to HDMI to Panasonic 42" Plasma
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz (B) on MSI 865PE Neo2
512MB x 2 Kingston @ 333MHz, 80GB Seagate
MSI NX6800Ultra, AcBel 560w PSU, WinXP Pro SP3

MSI Wind Love U100 Netbook - VGA to Sony Bravia LCD
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP SP3

Acer Aspire 4741 - HDMI to Sharp 32" LCD
Core i5 M450 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 7 Hm Premium

HP Compaq V3136 - VGA to Sharp 32" LCD
C2D 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, WinXP Media Centre SP3

Gigaworks S750, 7.1 THX Dolby Surround
Altec Lansing XA3501, 5.1 Gaming THX

MSI HQ Forum USB flasher

hardstyle_raver

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 26-June-04, 02:53:47 »

I have downloaded it and found jumpers area about front panel audio will this say about the back problem.

Its really confusing
Logged

hardstyle_raver

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 26-June-04, 02:58:09 »

If i put pin on 5 6 9 and 10 will this solve my problem.

I do not care about front panel audio i want back panel
Logged

hardstyle_raver

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 26-June-04, 11:21:57 »

Well i got a another problem the plug that goes into is full it leads to the front line out if i take this lead out will the rear work correctly. i do not have anything to put onto 5,6 9 and 10
Logged

Videoz

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 28-June-04, 03:07:22 »

The front panel output is a switched socket, designed so that if nothing is plugged in, the incoming signal is switched to the return line, which then connects to the back panel output socket. If you plug something into the front panel socket, it opens the switch contacts, so no signal is returned to the rear panel socket.

If you don't have, or are not worried about, the front panel socket, then the jumpers on pins 5-6 and 9-10 bypass the front panel connection, and route the signal directly to the back panel socket.

(I modified my latest system so that I can get output from both sockets at once, it's a bit fiddly, but it suits me better that way.)

Something worth checking is whether the plug is going in fully to the rear socket - sometimes the plug can't go in fully because the metal shield gets in the way - the left output is on the tip of the plug, so is the furthest contact inside the socket.

Cheers
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up