Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found" on Z68A-GD65 (B3) MS-7681 v4.0  (Read 5175 times)

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Hello. I'm going to try to be thorough in this initial post to accurately describe our situation so that you can provide the best assistance.

We have a MSI Z68A-GD65 (B3) MS-7681 v4.0 motherboard with i5-3350P CPU.

BIOS Firmware indicates E7681IMS v25.8  1/11/2013 which seems to match the latest listed here: 
https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z68AGD65_B3.html#down-bios 

(although as I have been hunting around for a solution to my problem I see some experts pointing to things like E7681IMS-M94 (like here https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163914.0 ), but I digress.

I noticed that the little blue LED by the dual BIOS chips was doing the flashing once per second, which according to the manual
https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z68AGD65_B3.html#down-manual 
and search results indicates that the main BIOS (a flash at some point?) had failed and the backup BIOS was in use.

According to the manual page 3-21 you go into the BIOS and choose: 
"Multi BIOS Auto Update (for Z68A-GD65 only) When “Enabled”, and the primary BIOS has failed, the system will allow the secondary BIOS to reflash the primary BIOS for booting successfully."
so I did that.

I saved and exited and the computer rebooted and went thru the backup BIOS to main BIOS reflash - it seemed to go OK, indicating 100%, then auto rebooted.

Now is where things are a problem.

The unit boots and begins the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing:
"Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB"

I can not use DEL to get into BIOS, nor F11 to choose a boot device or anything - the motherboard halts completely here.

Note that at this point this motherboard will NOT go further than the "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" screen, so I can not boot into a USB key and flash from DOS, nor boot into windows and flash using the E7681vP8.exe or LiveUpdate, not even get into the BIOS and flash from within the BIOS.

Is the BIOS is wanting/needing a second part of the BIOS update, as mentioned in this thread:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/msi-p67a-c43-fails-to-boot-os-after-incorrect-bios-flash.2327363/
""Warning!!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB. - The statement makes me believe you were doing the bios update that gives Ivy Bridge support. It was a two part flash if I remember correctly. The bios would flash, then reboot and flash the ME portion of the bios"

Note that I was not trying to do something fancy nor overclock, just following what the manual indicated to repair the primary BIOS.

I tried using the MSIHQ Tool 1.28j
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=116721.0
to extract the 10993KB E7681vP8.exe and it created the bios.bin of the same 10993KB size, and I put in in USB key root but the BIOS still has same "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" message.

The unit does recognize the 8GB FAT32 USB key, and it does try to read it (flashing LED on key).
The files are in the root, not in a folder, and I have placed all the various formats of files on there - the .exe. the .zip, the .rar, the .bin of the M94 version

I could not find the P80 (??) version that is v25.8 - I speculate that if there is a 2 part flashing and the secondary BIOS reflashed the primary BIOS with v25.8 that it is looking for the v25.8 (P80??) second part, but where do I find that?

I do not think the motherboard is bricked, as it does respond, just wants more data. :-)
What do I do?
Any other help you can offer is appreciated.
Thank you.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

looks like there is some big mess
what BIOS version you have flashed with M-Flash?

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Hello - thanks for your reply.

The Mflash is the utility built into the BIOS on the motherboard, correct?
I have not flashed anything with M-Flash as in applying a file from a USB or such.
Remember I can not, or do not know how if there is a method, to get into the BIOS anymore or get past the point in the POST where the motherboard is halting the POST. see screenshot attached

This computer system was given to me by a friend who went to using a laptop for portability.
When I noticed the that the little blue LED by the dual BIOS chips was doing the flashing once per second, which according to the manual https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z68AGD65_B3.html#down-manual  
and search results indicates that the main BIOS had failed and the backup BIOS was in use I just did this:
According to the manual page 3-21 you go into the BIOS and choose:  
"Multi BIOS Auto Update (for Z68A-GD65 only) When “Enabled”, and the primary BIOS has failed, the system will allow the secondary BIOS to reflash the primary BIOS for booting successfully."

It was not until after this, when the motherboard stops in the POST, that I started looking for solutions, downloading other things, etc.

The POST still shows the MS-7681  E7681IMS v25.8 1/11/2013 as it did before, which seems to indicate the latest version MSI has posted.
Perhaps the manual needs to be more clear, but what I understood is the secondary BIOS, which was fine and was the BIOS in use and has v25.8 running, would overwrite/reflash the primary BIOS when the above procedure was used, thereby restoring the primary BIOS

I will add to my first message above, that the blue BIOS LED is no longer flashing, it is off.
According to the manual that is supposed to indicate both primary and secondary BIOS are OK and the unit is operating from the primary BIOS.
According to the manual, if blue BIOS LED was on steady it would mean both primary and secondary BIOS would have failed, so that is also partly why I think the motherboard/BIOS are OK but just hung up on something.

Here is a screenshot attached.

Thank you.

HenryW

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY

It could be that you need to use a PS/2 keyboard to enter BIOS to enable 'Legacy USB Support'. After doing that you should be able to USB from the get go.
Z77A-GD65/BIOS 10.5, i7 2700K
CPU cooler ~ Zalman CNPS9900ALED
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 4x4Gb
W 7 Home Premium x64/SP1
Corsair TX650W
300GB WD VelociRaptor 3000HLHX
600GB WD VelociRaptor 6000HLHX
Lite-On CD/DVD combo burner
MSI 560 HAWK, Drv. 368.82
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Hello - thanks for your suggestion.
Yes, I am using a PS2 keyboard for BIOS things.
And yes, "Legacy USB support" and "USB3.0 Legacy Mode Support" are enabled.
Nevertheless I was in the BIOS before using a USB keyboard.

Also, I am using the rear direct on motherboard USB ports.

I think it is recognizing the USB key, no matter which USB port it is plugged into as without a USB key plugged in at all, I get the message "Warning. Please insert to your USB"v (see attachment). (Obviously English grammar was not that message's author strong point as I'm sure it means "Please insert your USB key".)

Any other ideas?  :-)

The question I still wonder about is what file is it looking for.

Thank you

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

There is something I'll add to the info:
As the system begins POST and you want to enter the BIOS, you start tapping the DEL key. This is normal and I do that, and the message "Entering Setup..." shows for the briefest moment before the process halts on the "BIOS ME update..." screen.
So we know that the keyboards are working to get into the BIOS and the BIOS is responding, but it is also currently stuck in it's flashing procedure, looking for a file.

Again it seems like the BIOS is trying to complete it's repair procedure and looking for something on the USB (as the USB key read light remains flashing).

So, what is this ME file is it looking for?

I think this is poor instructions and setup by MSI as when the manual indicates that the secondary BIOS will overwrite and repair the primary BIOS, then that is what should happen, not that it also needs info on a USB key - if it does, then it should so indicate.

Attn: MSI what is the solution here?

I have not, and am scared to, pull the CMOS battery and short JBAT1 jumper to reset the CMOS.
Now, I speculate that as I post this, there will be suggestions that I do that, but the reason I am reluctant to just 'try anything' is that if I do reset the BIOS, since it is in the middle of a flash attempt, will resetting the BIOS corrupt it? 'Prove' to me it won't, and I'll try it. :-)

Again, thanks to all those reading/helping.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

The Mflash is the utility built into the BIOS on the motherboard, correct?
I have not flashed anything with M-Flash as in applying a file from a USB or such.
Remember I can not, or do not know how if there is a method, to get into the BIOS anymore or get past the point in the POST where the motherboard is halting the POST. see screenshot attached

then you have executed the msi all in one .exe updater or?
if so which version exactly you have start to update?

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

then you have executed the msi all in one .exe updater or?
if so which version exactly you have start to update?
Hi Svet - thanks for your assistance.
No, no update has been executed - I can not get past the"the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing: "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB"  as shown in the first screenshot posted, therefore I can not boot into windows to execute any windows BIOS update or flash.

Neither has any DOS mode utility or updater or flash been executed -
I can not get past the "the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing:
"Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" as shown in the first screenshot posted, therefore I can not boot into a DOS mode on USB key to execute any thing from that mode.

I can not get past "the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing:
"Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" to press F11 to try another boot device.

I can not get past "the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing:
"Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" to get into the BIOS to try the "Multi BIOS Auto Update (for Z68A-GD65 only)"

The only thing that was done was "According to the manual page 3-21 you go into the BIOS and choose: 
"Multi BIOS Auto Update (for Z68A-GD65 only) When “Enabled”, and the primary BIOS has failed, the system will allow the secondary BIOS to reflash the primary BIOS for booting successfully." I saved and exited and the computer rebooted and went thru the backup BIOS to main BIOS reflash - it seemed to go OK, indicating 100%, then auto rebooted.
Now is where things are a problem."

I have thought that maybe if I could get the BIOS updater from here: "BIOS Firmware indicates E7681IMS v25.8  1/11/2013 : 
https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z68AGD65_B3.html#down-bios  " (which I have downloaded) and get it onto a USB key as if it had been executed, then the files would be on the USB and then, maybe, the Z68A-GD65 would recognize what file it needed form on the USB key and finish its repair.

So I tried executing it to get it to extract the files, etc but since the GD65 will not boot, I can not use it to do that, and when tried on another computer, it will not execute as it detects the other computer is not a Z68A-GD65.
I tried using 7-zip to extract files, but that was not successful.
I tired using the "I tried using the MSIHQ Tool 1.28j
to extract the 10993KB E7681vP8.exe and it created the bios.bin of the same 10993KB size, and I put in in USB key root but the BIOS still has same "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB" message."

in relation to your second question:
Since the secondary BIOS was working and showing v25.8, which is the latest version from the MSI BIOS download above and which is still showing in the first screenshot posted, I figured that the "Multi BIOS Auto Update" feature would have been overwriting the primary BIOS with its own v25.8 and so the second part of the update that needs info on the USB key would read from the key *IF* I can get the files on the key, but how?

I've been doing some more reading on
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163549.0
and
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163872.msg1211877#msg1211877
but I want to be successful in getting this board to work, so do not want to try to experiment on my own without some expert guidance first.

I hope I am being thorough in providing as much info as I can to you experts. I don't want to waste your time in you having to ask questions back and forth when I should have provided the info in the first place, hence I am trying to provide all the info I can each reply.
Your help is very much appreciated.
Thank you again.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

Hi Svet - thanks for your assistance.
No, no update has been executed - I can not get past the"the BIOS boot showing the POST screen indicating the drives attached etc but then halts showing: "Warning!! BIOS ME update....file not found. Please add file to your USB"  as shown in the first screenshot posted, therefore I can not boot into windows to execute any windows BIOS update or flash.

this message can appear only if you executed msi all in one .exe updater
and i need to know which one .exe you have started,
to provide you with the proper stuff to try to recover from this

in relation to your second question:
Since the secondary BIOS was working and showing v25.8, which is the latest version from the MSI BIOS download above and which is still showing in the first screenshot posted, I figured that the "Multi BIOS Auto Update" feature would have been overwriting the primary BIOS with its own v25.8 and so the second part of the update that needs info on the USB key would read from the key *IF* I can get the files on the key, but how?

oki will provide you the stuff for v25.8 to try to recover

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

update

get attached file, and extract it over the USB key
and connect USB key in the rear USB port
then turn on the computer and see if the BIOS update will resume

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

this message can appear only if you executed msi all in one .exe updater
and i need to know which one .exe you have started,
to provide you with the proper stuff to try to recover from this

Hi - no, I have not executed the msi .exe updater.
So, either I am lying, which I am not; or
I am being accurate (which I am - I also have a CompSysTech advanced diploma - which no does not mean I know everything and am learning about MSI boards here, my experience having been with Giga and Asus), or

there is something new here we have all learned, that being that within the BIOS itself the procedure of "Multi BIOS Auto Update (for Z68A-GD65 only) When “Enabled”, and the primary BIOS has failed, the system will allow the secondary BIOS to reflash the primary BIOS for booting successfully." makes it look the same as if the .exe updater was executed.
See next post.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

i see looks like this option "Multi BIOS Auto Update" also can trigger somehow this error message

have you tried to recover with the file that i sent you?

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

update

get attached file, and extract it over the USB key
and connect USB key in the rear USB port
then turn on the computer and see if the BIOS update will resume
OK, did this. Results are looking good so far:
1. inserted USB key (also note that I have been properly using the USB 2 ports all along, not the blue USB3 ports)
2. Started up. POST started but only for the briefest moment and then computer restarted and upon restart the BIOS update continued (see first pic attached to this reply). It completed.
3. Computer restarted again. Continued update (see 2nd pic attached to this reply).
It completed then said it would auto reboot which it did (too fast for me to get a pic).
4. Computer restarted and booted up briefly - nothing showing on screen - like as if it was resetting (my guess).
5. Computer restarted and booted up briefly partly into POST, then restarted.
6. Computer is now in 'infinite loop' of starting up for 3-4 seconds, nothing on screen, then rebooting.
I am wondering if it is now time to do the power off, pull BIOS battery, short JBAT1 jumper to clear CMOS, reinstall battery procedure?

no blue BIOS LED light is on.

Much thanks so far.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

yes turn it off and >>Clear CMOS Guide<< with power cord removed
and try to boot with 1 memory stick only placed in the DIMM slot near to the CPU socket

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

OK, success - now booting fine (although I may have to fix a windows problem, but that's not related to this)
Although I forgot to remove the 4x4 ram and have just 1 in the 1 slot - I had to remove GPU etc to get at BIOS battery so while doing that I forgot to do the remove ram .
 Interesting to note - upon reboot, the PS2 keyboard would not work, so plugged in USB keyboard and it worked fine.
Thanks for your quick replies. Where do I send the thank beer gift??  lol

Now my next question goes to the latest BIOS posted here:
E7681IMS-M94  https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163914.0
from here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163900.msg1200955;topicseen#msg1200955

Might as well have the latest? or no?
Your thoughts?
Thanks

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

well done

Now my next question goes to the latest BIOS posted here:
E7681IMS-M94  https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163914.0
from here: 
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163900.msg1200955;topicseen#msg1200955

Might as well have the latest? or no?
Your thoughts?
Thanks

not this one, but this .P93:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163866.msg1267835#msg1267835

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

not this one, but this .P93:
OK, should I use this procedure:
https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3135
or this:
or this:
https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

Don't want to have any problems, so I'm hesitant that MSI info is correct since it was incomplete for the built in auto repair.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

use the one in the bottom of the post:

For BIOS Update >>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<< => Mode 1: Point to archive file!

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

OK, this all worked fine now.
Several reboots needed, and clearing CMOS etc as listed.
Svet, even your defaults in the 93 beta BIOS are better than MSI.
Thanks so much.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

well done :hat tip:

bannditzTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Thanks again. For future reference, and for others reading this thread, perhaps finding this thread from a search, how does one obtain these files to do this?

In this thread, the file needed was E7681IMS.P80, so where does one download that?
Or is it created or extracted from something else?
Is there a tool to do that?
Enjoy the year.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

if such is need some can be found in the topic that i sent you before
else ask for it

whatupbboy

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi there,
I ran across this forum and followed the steps that where laid out above. I was having the exact same issues and was able to get to #13 to clear my cmos. After clearing I am still stuck in that infinite boot loop. I have tried again and again to clear the cmos but I am at a loss at this point. Any ideas?

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

@whatupbboy
please do not resurrect old topics and don't hijack other people topics
>>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<

topic locked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up