Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does my MSI GP62MVR 6RF Leopard Pro support external monitor with 1080p@144Hz ?  (Read 639 times)

phuthanhnhan9997Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Hello MSI forum, I've just bought this monitor xg2402 from viewsonic and my laptop has a hdmi with 4k@30fps and a display port but that's for the intergrated GPU

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Hello MSI forum, I've just bought this monitor xg2402 from viewsonic and my laptop has a hdmi with 4k@30fps and a display port but that's for the intergrated GPU

Hi phuthanhnhan9997,

As far as I can tell, both the HDMI and mDP ports of your GP62MVR 6RF should be able to do 144 Hz at FHD (1080p). However, some of your assumptions may be wrong.

Assumption 1: Your HDMI can only do 30 Hz at UHD (4K). MSI has conflicting information here. In the specs for your model it lists 30 Hz at 4K. However, in the MSI video info document, they list 60 Hz at 4K for your model. You'll need to check to see which version of HDMI you have. If your model has HDMI 2.0 or later, it will do 60 Hz at 4K. If your model has HDMI 1.4, it will only do 30 Hz at 4K.

Assumption 2: Your mDP is connected to your iGPU. I could be wrong, but I doubt this is true. The mDP port is your highest-quality video output and it will do 60 Hz at 4K. If any output is connected to your dGPU, it will usually be your mDP---not your HDMI. So, if your video outputs are permanently tied to a single GPU, I would expect the HDMI to be linked to the Intel iGPU and the mDP to be linked to the NVidia dGPU. However, this is an area that is not documented by MSI and is causing lots of confusion for users because the facts vary from model to model. For example, my GT80 2QE Titan has two NVidia dGPU in SLI plus an iGPU integrated into its Intel CPU. When I switch between the two GPU systems, all of the video outputs switch. This is because only one GPU system can be active at a time in an SLI system (because NVidia Optimus is not compatible with SLI). This means my one HDMI and my two mDP ports are all switched to the iGPU when it is active or they are all switched to the twin dGPU when they are active. It's my understanding that some of the NVidia Optimus systems switch all video outputs also. But this is a grey area that has not been explained by MSI. And it's complicated by NVidia G-Sync because it is not compatible with an Intel iGPU---therefore, if your notebook supports G-Sync, the Intel iGPU may be permanently disabled. Again, there's a lot of confusion about this stuff and MSI does a very poor job of explaining how the video ports of its various gaming notebook models work.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

your 1060 gpu cant push 4k 60fps gaming anyway. it would be much easier to push 1k 144fps then 4k 60fps. plus the freesync will allow your fps to drop without creating stutter.

the freesync on your display might only work through the dp port, and you may have to turn it on in the monitor menu as well BUT you will need the latest nvidia drivers to use freesync with nvidia gpu, and there is a chance you may have issues because freesync is amd and gsync is nvidia.

hopefully your laptop has mdp 1.2 and not mdp 1.0 or 1.1. display port 1.2 came out in 2010 so you should be safe

mdp 1.2 can do 1k 144hz with freesync easily but you need to buy a mdp 1.2 to dp 1.2 cable

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002XVYZ82/

if the freesync doesnt work well with nvidia gpu then dont use it. maybe you can go into the nvidia control panel and set your display to 1k 60hz or 1k 120hz  fixed refresh. and turn freesync off in the menu. if you do that then your hdmi 1.4 port would work fine too as long as you have a hdmi 1.4 or above cable.

boht your hdmi and your mdp ports should be directly connected to your nvidia gpu so you will get higher fps then on your laptop display, and you should be able to run them at the same time. meaning two external monitors at the same time through msi matrix which is built into the laptop

running an external monitor should turn your power button light orange constantly

https://www.msi.com/faq/notebook-2145

GETTING GAMES TO OPEN ON THE EXTERNAL MONITOR:
right click desktop and select display settings and select display 2 and set it as the main display which will allow games to open on that monitor. you can then unlock your taskbar and drag it to any display that u want. now when you open a game it will open by default on the external monitor. make sure you set your in game resolution to the native resolution of your external monitor or there is a chance your open windows could jump around from monitor to monitor when you alt tab out and in.

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

your 1060 gpu cant push 4k 60fps gaming anyway. it would be much easier to push 1k 144fps then 4k 60fps. plus the freesync will allow your fps to drop without creating stutter. ...

Hi RaiderGamer,

As I reported, MSI says that the OP's GP62MVR 6RF can do 4K at 60 Hz with its GTX 1060. And, although some users have trouble doing it---and I don't think it's advisable because you'll probably have to set the quality settings to "low" on most games---it does appear that the GTX 1060 can do 4K at 60 Hz because gamers are doing it.

Here's a screen capture of MSI's video info document. I've circled the MSI's specs in green for the GP62MVR 6RF:

What's important to the OP is that either port (HDMI or mDP) should probably be able to do FHD (1920 x 1080 p) at 144 Hz and the mDP can do 144 Hz at even higher resolutions (2560 x 1440 p). So the mDP port is the best choice. As for whether or not the GP62MVR 6RF has the horsepower and cooling to sustain 144 fps in a modern game, that's another matter and I don't give it much hope for that because I believe it will overheat and throttle down fairly quickly.

And lets not confuse Hz with fps because they are being used incorrectly both in the OP and some replies. The refresh rate of your display is in Hertz (Hz)---not frames per second (fps). When asking what a monitor or video port can do, we're talking about Hz. We're talking about the bandwidth of the video signal only---we're not talking about the fps that the game can push to the video system. The refresh rate limits the maximum fps that you can see. If your monitor has a 60 Hz refresh rate, pushing a higher frame rate out of a game is pure waste because the display refresh rate can only show 60 fps. In this case, it would be better to limit the game to 60 fps to match the display refresh rate so you don't generate unnecessary heat inside your notebook.

The frame rate is determined by the computational power of your CPU and GPU system. By lowering the quality settings of a game, you can reduce the workload of the CPU and GPU and increase the fps and visa versa. But this does not change the maximum refresh rate of your display. You can push a gazillion fps out of a game, but the most fps that you can observe with your display is limited to its refresh rate.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

i have a 4k 60hz display with freesync and the freesync option is in the menu, its greyed out on both hdmi ports and is only available through the dp port.

many displays are like this. the variable refresh is programmed into the display firmware to only work on one port

also one of my hdmi ports is 2.0 and the other one is 1.4(4k 30hz max) despite the fact that the display is 4k 60hz

i just checked the specs of his display and confirmed that it only has hdmi 1.4 on it.
https://www.viewsonic.com/us/xg2402.html#specs
so there is a very good chance the 144hz or freesync is only available on the dp port, so hes best off buying a cable like the one i linked to above on amazon

also i had a 6GB 1060 gpu on my last laptop and it definitely cant do 4k 60fps on any modern aaa games. turning your settings to low just to get 4k is a waste. personally if i cant push 1k 60fps high on a game ill wait it until my next gpu to play it, thats my minimum

freeyh

• CAPTAIN

I think @David give you the whole answer.
Provide the post that he mentioned.
To achieve 1080p@144Hz, you need to connect your laptop via mDP port and DP port on your external monitor.

• CORPORAL

Thank you guys so much for the support. mDP to DP is the way to go then and also i have a problem with the nvidia control panel showing that i have a HDMI, DP, mDP but i do not have the DP port ? and the nvidia icon at the system tray disappeared driver ver 375.63 and the latest geforce experience version .

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

mini dp

even hdmi has a mini version too

my nvidia control panel also shows hdmi and dp even though i have hdmi and mdp

http://prntscr.com/n09s0a

im using driver 417.35

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

i think this is latest driver for yours
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/144365/en-us

freeyh

• CAPTAIN

Thank you guys so much for the support. mDP to DP is the way to go then and also i have a problem with the nvidia control panel showing that i have a HDMI, DP, mDP but i do not have the DP port ? and the nvidia icon at the system tray disappeared driver ver 375.63 and the latest geforce experience version 
Check this post to update your graphics driver. Btw, what's your current system config.? Seems that you have updated your laptop for a long while because v375.63 is the legacy driver.

• CORPORAL

My system config are
Win10 Pro 1809
16gb of ram @2400 running in dual
a 1tb hdd and a nvme ssd 256gb
I also repaste the thermal compound with the thermal grizzly kryonaut
Temp when gaming :
CPU ~75C
GPU ~70C
a 1060 3gb
i7 6700HQ undervolted -150mv using Throttlestop
oh and i don't update to the newest driver bcs it's giving BSOD

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL

Check this post to update your graphics driver. Btw, what's your current system config.? Seems that you have updated your laptop for a long while because v375.63 is the legacy driver.

thats the same driver being offered by msi on his official page. so why dont you contact msi and tell them that haha

http://prntscr.com/n0kamk

• CORPORAL

if it ain't broke don't fix it lol

freeyh

• CAPTAIN

I just provide the guide of how to clean install or update NVIDIA driver.
Btw, which version you installed caused the BSOD?

• CORPORAL

417.35 and above the way to fix is to set power management to max performance the bsod is DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Pages: [1]   Go Up