Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop dead, won't charge, cord is fine  (Read 5708 times)

philipfroeseTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Laptop dead, won't charge, cord is fine
« on: 26-December-17, 12:40:23 »

Only a few months after I bought my MSI laptop I plugged it in when the battery was getting low and it didn't charge (the lower-right icon didn't recognize that it was plugged in). I kept plugging/unplugging it and finally at some point for no obvious reason it recognized it was plugged in and started charging again. Then it never happened again.

Fast-forward to last night-- my computer battery was down to 10%, so I plugged it in, and the computer didn't recognize it was plugged in. Never could get it to charge, and now it's dead and won't turn on. I know the cord is fine, because I went to the store and they let me plug it into other MSI computers and they started charging right away. Also, the battery didn't seem to be bad or anything, it lasts about as long as it did when I bought it (August 2016).

Also, I can't just remove the battery; it's not detachable, but it's like soldered on or something.

Any idea what could be going on? Is it some obvious hardware issue, or could some software setting have impacted the computer's ability to recognize that it should allow a charge to take place?

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: Laptop dead, won't charge, cord is fine
« Reply #1 on: 26-December-17, 15:53:31 »

Please give your MSI model number.
MSI laptop computers are mostly made for gaming and desktop replacements and should be left plugged in and running from mains power to provide the best performance.
If you want maximum battery life for a laptop, then you should consider an ultrabook with 8 to 10 or more hours of battery life, which means the screen brightness and processor are not running at their best levels.
If you discharge the battery to 10% and then charge, depending on the battery type, you may be shortening the life of the battery.
Please see also this post.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=292831.msg1654084#msg1654084

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 31-December-17, 22:19:13 »

Please give your MSI model number.
I see on the bottom it says MS 1782.

But I wasn't asking about how to make the battery last longer or desiring a computer with longer battery life or any of that other stuff.

I'll restate my problem (and I had someone take a look to confirm this): I have a computer that apparently has no mechanical problem whatsoever, and yet it stops/starts charging.

Recent update: after being dead for a few days, suddenly for no reason whatsoever it started charging again. I was looking right at it when it happened; it suddenly lit up and charged to 100% as if nothing was wrong. And then this evening, once again while I was looking right at it, it was charging perfectly fine and suddenly the icon in the lower right corner changed as if it had been unplugged, then a minute or so later it resumed charging.

Is it possible that some program (like MSI battery calibration) or setting or something is screwing with the computer's ability to charge?

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 01-January-18, 22:37:59 »

Sorry, I'm using noscript in Firefox and can't see the MS 1782.

It is difficult for an OS to measure the state of charge of the battery, as their are many types and the charging characteristics vary depending on temperature, age and number of times discharged / charged.
LiIon is different to LiPolymer and other types.  The best WIndows or another OS can give is an approximation based on the voltage, rather than knowing how many AHr or WHr the battery contains.  Depending on a number of factors, the rate of discharge and time available of percentage of full battery is very rough.  MSI includes battery calibration as during the life of the battery its capacity is reduced until it becomes useless.

I think that you have to trust the MSI circuit that controls battery charging and accept that meters that claim to show condition of battery are a very rough guide.  It also depends on how frequently they check the reported voltage of the battery which the OS provides and indicate if the battery is charging or not.
Most people using MSI laptops use them most of the time plugged into the mains with battery and are more interested in getting the fastest performance rather than wonder how full the battery is and is it charging.
You can contact MSI support to enquire about a check if you still think there is a problem.

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 08-January-18, 12:48:02 »

To be completely honest I don't even care about the battery that much. I'm always near a plug, and if I could alleviate the issue by just removing the battery I would just chuck it. The biggest problem is that the computer doesn't always register that it's plugged in, i.e. it's not just that the battery isn't charging, it's that it isn't charging because it doesn't recognize that it's plugged in, meaning that I can't use the computer even if it is plugged in. Sometimes it just won't register that it's plugged in despite there being nothing apparently wrong with the cord or jack. (Just today it did it again; it suddenly wouldn't register that it was plugged in, but when I shut the computer down, a few seconds later suddenly the charging light came on.)

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 10-January-18, 17:25:53 »

As your computer is still new it should be covered by the warranty.  To find the problem with the computer not knowing or showing if it is plugged in, check all the possible problems.
1.  Wall socket.
2.  Plug and cable to power transformer.
3.  Cable from transformer to computer.
You can use a multimeter to measure voltage at the wall and coming out of the transformer.
If that is fine, then check if a light is not showing power.
If the transformer has a problem, then you should be able to get a replacement.

ironherbi

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 25-October-18, 12:39:27 »

similiar problem here
few days earlier i used my GT72S without power supply (i almost never do that)
and it went down to 0%
since then when i plugg in the power supply it wont start charging and the green light on power supply goes off
it happened to me once before about a year ago but eventually after some time it started charging
since then i never used it without power suppply
untill now...

is it possible that the battery died entirely and the GT72S wont start without battery? (it doesnt work with battery removed either)

chrblues.harms

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 08-December-19, 05:35:50 »

Was this problem ever solved?
Having the exact same problem

depis123

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 08-December-19, 16:25:53 »

Just got the same problem today, computer completely dead at 0% and doesnt charge at all, dont know what to do, need it to be fixed as fast as possible so any solutions yet?

john.powner.jr

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 23-December-19, 12:13:14 »

I also started having this problem last week. My laptop is a couple of years old and the power adapter connection has always been loose. I bought a new power adapter and battery but they're not charging either. However, the laptop was able to power on with the new battery. I'm hoping its not a motherboard issue but its kinda odd that multiple people are reporting this issue.

dyl.bier

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 27-December-19, 14:02:53 »

Having the same problem on my 2015 GT72. Just started this morning. 

Checked the cord and outlet -- both are fine. Seems like the only options are the charging port on the laptop or some software that is blocking the laptop from recognizing the charging cord as being plugged in. It showed that it was plugged in for an hour or so then randomly switched off.

Was this issue ever resolved??

cheshire.in.darkness

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 28-December-19, 01:55:04 »

I'm seeing an exact same issue on a brand new GE75 Raider purchased from Costco for their black friday sale.  It just comes and goes...but it seems to be getting worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up