Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [GT] VBIOS for NVIDIA GTX 1070  (Read 32523 times)

web

• CORPORAL
Re: [GT] VBIOS for NVIDIA GTX 1070
« Reply #50 on: 30-May-17, 23:41:38 »

Hey Geoff,

You will not try to ask for refund? or repair/new laptop?

Thank you for feedback.

Please tell me the first digits of serial number, you can check in the box, "K1609N", for example.

I need this to check the build date.

MSI did not replace your laptop, all they did was install .82 vbios.

What program are you using to overclock?
I'll look at serial number today.

The graphics adapter replaced exactly, as the chokes stopped making noise and the card behaves stably.

If the old video card, then the new throttles were soldered. But I think that I just changed it to another video card and it turned out to be more successful. In 3DMark in the Time Spy test produces an average result of 5600. memory little overclock +100.       

For overclocking MSI AFTERBURN.

Five times launched the latest version of 3DMARK - the temperature above 65 did not rise. A new paste has not yet been applied.

web

• CORPORAL
« Reply #51 on: 31-May-17, 01:52:29 »

SN K1608N.

web

• CORPORAL
« Reply #52 on: 31-May-17, 02:27:31 »

About the new video card that was replaced in the service center:
I overclocked 2 hours ago GPU upto 1900Mhz, memory upto 2102Mhz.
One hour in 3dmark - All ok. Played in hitman  about an hour  - everything is fine, there are no friezes.
Vbios - VBIOS 86.04.5B.00.8A (1645MHz).

Then I Flash  on vbios 86.04.56.00.3A (vbios from MSI website). Overclocking is off. in  hitman GPU automate up to 1850MHz and ... Nvidea driver not answer. -HAHA.

I again Flash on VBIOS 86.04.5B.00.8A (1645MHz) - and everything works fine on overclocking: GPU upto 1900Mhz, memory upto 2102Mhz.

I already do not understand anything ....

Nevertheless, I can say thanks to MSI for the new graphics card.

Still wondering why MSI flash version 82 where BOOST to 1645MHz does not work?

geoffrey.wong

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #53 on: 31-May-17, 06:22:12 »

Is the GPU Core Clock and GPU Memory Clock default values different between laptops?
My VBIOS is the chinese VBIOS 86.04.5b.00.8A
Is everybody getting this values?

Because my GT62VR 6RE :

On Battery : 
Shift Value : ECO
GPU Core Clock : 1442MHz
GPU Memory Clock : 810MHz

Shift Value : Power Options (Balanced / High Performance
GPU Memory Clock : 2999MHz

Plugged In : 
Shift Value : Turbo
GPU Memory Clock : 3999MHz
Power Plan changes to High Performance

Shift Value : Sport
GPU Memory Clock : 4006MHz

Shift Value : Comfort 
Power Plan changes to Balanced

geoffrey.wong

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #54 on: 31-May-17, 06:26:14 »

Hey Geoff,

You will not try to ask for refund? or repair/new laptop?

Nah, it will take a long time for repair. New laptop, i don't know if my seller will be willing to change. Will think about it.
I just don't have the time right now to not have a laptop. Need this for work also. This is only computer I have, sold my old laptop already.
So the frustration with MSI really builds up. I'm using this laptop but at the back of my mind, I know I'm not using a genuine VBIOS.

web

• CORPORAL
« Reply #55 on: 31-May-17, 07:15:32 »

Is the GPU Core Clock and GPU Memory Clock default values different between laptops?

Because my GT62VR 6RE :

On Battery :

Plugged In :

Your bios without unlock core boost

geoffrey.wong

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #56 on: 31-May-17, 10:41:36 »

Your bios without unlock core boost

Sorry, what do you mean? Maybe you can try another sentence? 
(I understand english not you first language :) )

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #57 on: 31-May-17, 11:18:45 »

I'll look at serial number today.

The graphics adapter replaced exactly, as the chokes stopped making noise and the card behaves stably.

If the old video card, then the new throttles were soldered. But I think that I just changed it to another video card and it turned out to be more successful. In 3DMark in the Time Spy test produces an average result of 5600. memory little overclock +100.      

For overclocking MSI AFTERBURN.

Five times launched the latest version of 3DMARK - the temperature above 65 did not rise. A new paste has not yet been applied.

Its strange if they replaced your GPU, because they solved your "chokes" problem but you have now a defective GPU with crashes...

Maybe they replaced your GPU with one a 1070 GTX revision 1.0, build 2016.

Nah, it will take a long time for repair. New laptop, i don't know if my seller will be willing to change. Will think about it.
I just don't have the time right now to not have a laptop. Need this for work also. This is only computer I have, sold my old laptop already.
So the frustration with MSI really builds up. I'm using this laptop but at the back of my mind, I know I'm not using a genuine VBIOS.

Im tired of testing the laptop, really.

What pisses me off, is that all people with build 2017 laptops, doesnt have any problems at all.

And i need to use some strange vbios to make the laptop work fine...

Because my GT62VR 6RE :

On Battery :

Plugged In :

Those values are not correct, if you use Sport mode or Turbo mode, the laptop overclocks the default clocks.

1442mhz is the minimum clock of 1070 gtx.

Maybe Dragon Gaming Center does not give you your max clock using those modes, while playing use GPU Z to check the clocks.

About the new video card that was replaced in the service center:
I overclocked 2 hours ago GPU upto 1900Mhz, memory upto 2102Mhz.
One hour in 3dmark - All ok. Played in hitman  about an hour  - everything is fine, there are no friezes.
Vbios - VBIOS 86.04.5B.00.8A (1645MHz).

Then I Flash  on vbios 86.04.56.00.3A (vbios from MSI website). Overclocking is off. in hitman GPU automate up to 1850MHz and ... Nvidea driver not answer. -HAHA.

I again Flash on VBIOS 86.04.5B.00.8A (1645MHz) - and everything works fine on overclocking: GPU upto 1900Mhz, memory upto 2102Mhz.

I already do not understand anything ....

Nevertheless, I can say thanks to MSI for the new graphics card.

Still wondering why MSI flash version 82 where BOOST to 1645MHz does not work?

There are no exact reason why this happen: one thing for sure, the gpu have some kind of HW malfunction

You have crashes with official VBIOS because it exceeeds 1900mhz many times, it goes up and down,

If you overclock with 8A, you get stable clock.

How tell me how is possible that there are laptops with 1070 GTX that works fine with original vbios? and our laptops dont?

Also,

You thank msi because they put in a defective GPU on your 2000€ laptop?

Thats strange mate...

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #58 on: 31-May-17, 12:17:26 »

One more thing WEB

Try to overclock to 1950mhz with 8A vbios and play Hitman for two hours, sometimes it doesnt crash at the start, you need to play more.

Also, run Ice Storm 5 times at 1950mhz with 8A vbios and tell me how it runs.

After all those tests, if everything is fine, overclock to 2000mhz with 8A vbios. 

Thank you

P.S

I used Turbo mode with 8A and my laptop still crashes.

shnyaps

• SERGEANT
« Reply #59 on: 02-June-17, 15:40:20 »

Guys, please give me link to 86.04.5B.00.82 vbios

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #60 on: 03-June-17, 10:29:47 »

Where did 86.04.5B.00.82 come from?
I only know the recalled one that was crashing for everyone (That MSI removed): 86.04.5B.00.44.

keith.alford

• SERGEANT
« Reply #61 on: 03-June-17, 18:23:19 »

I think someone pulled it from their machine after sending it for repair. Same as the "Chinese" VBIOS.

geoffrey.wong

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #62 on: 05-June-17, 02:35:57 »

I think someone pulled it from their machine after sending it for repair. Same as the "Chinese" VBIOS.

You mean this chinese VBIOS came from MSI? 
The owner of the laptop where this VBIOS was installed after repair, shared this VBIOS to everyone? And this owner happens to be chinese?

keith.alford

• SERGEANT
« Reply #63 on: 05-June-17, 12:34:21 »

That's all I made out from what I've read between threads. I don't know for certain. I think if you put the Chinese site into google translate it gives that impression. And it's just referred to as the "Chinese VBIOS" because it was on a Chinese site.

It translates as;

"Own GT72-467 play the game has been a collapse of the drive problem,
Check the foreign forum to see some people with GTX1070 graphics GT series models have a similar problem,
Later, repair is found to refresh the VBIOS solution,
After the repair came back a few days did not appear again,
Looked really did VBIO has been refreshed,
I exported to VBIOS, have encountered the same problem can refresh try to see "

geoffrey.wong

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #64 on: 08-June-17, 08:12:03 »

I have the 86.04.5b.00.8a mentioned.

I use MSI Afterburner to boost Core Clock to 1897 MHz something, and it is fine. no crashes.
But as soon as I go beyond 1900 MHz, game crashes. 
So is that fine? I think the GTX 1070 have a maximum boost of until 1900MHz right? I read in some sites, that it seems 1900MHz for a GTX 1070 is its safe limit?
Does anyone agree?

street

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #65 on: 08-June-17, 21:22:48 »

I have the 86.04.5b.00.8a mentioned.

I use MSI Afterburner to boost Core Clock to 1897 MHz something, and it is fine. no crashes.
But as soon as I go beyond 1900 MHz, game crashes.
So is that fine? I think the GTX 1070 have a maximum boost of until 1900MHz right? I read in some sites, that it seems 1900MHz for a GTX 1070 is its safe limit?
Does anyone agree?

The maximum boost of 1070 is not 1900mhz, and if its reach the maximum clock it shouldnt crash, the card should downclock.

Something is wrong with this 1070 defective cards, simply as that.

drathian777

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #66 on: 10-June-17, 08:45:31 »

Thank you so much for this, it fixed a garbling issue (immediate reboot required) that I was having in a handful of games!

eludingone

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #67 on: 16-June-17, 23:36:08 »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I picked up this laptop just a few days ago and struggled with the crashes for a while. I contacted MSI support 4 times and they told me to update the VBIOS to the latest version on the website but this just made it worse! After a Successful VBIOS change to Version 86.04.5B.00.8A  EVERYTHING is working flawlessly! So glad I didn't try to RMA this over such a stupid issue. You guys are amazing.
LAPTOP: GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro, GTX 1070, 120Hz G-Sync (Works with new VBIOS also)
I followed the instructions on this link (https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/VBIOS_flash_sop_for_Skylake.pdf) and it went off without a hitch!

Briarknit

• CORPORAL
« Reply #68 on: 19-June-17, 13:09:23 »

I have a GT62VR with a 1070 that is having the same issues. It has the latest VBIOS but it is one of the ones manufactured in 2016 and the video driver crashes constantly when running benchmarks such as IceStorm (and other Unity, Unreal, etc engine games).

I understand that I can flash the 8A vbios as a workaround, but that is not a solution and it is not what I paid for. I put in a ticket with MSI last Friday specifically requesting an RMA for the laptop so they can replace the GPU with a newer revision of the 1070. My view is that I did not pay this much $ for a laptop just to have to gimp it with a VBIOS that disables GPU Boost (which is what I paid for).

Has anyone here who has gotten their laptop RMAd and GPU replaced for this issue have any insight into how long that process usually takes (still waiting on a reply for the original ticket).

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #69 on: 19-June-17, 20:05:27 »

Why is it not a solution?
you gain absolutely **ZERO** performance benefit by having the "normal" bios instead of the 8A Bios.
Do you know how automatic overclocking works?

It works by overclocking the card when the card is at *LOW LOAD*.  Low load=NO benefits to GPU bound benchmarks.
On the "fixed' cards, when the auto overclocking occurs past boost clocks. e.g. past 1883 mhz (1443->1643->+200), all that happens is the "VREL" (voltage reliability) throttle flag gets triggered, throttling the card in the low load situation (i saw it at 2000 mhz on a Valley screen when closing the benchmark).

For example, to prove this, I used the 8A Bios and the default Bios on my fully working card, in Valley benchmark, with the card overclocked to 200/300.
There was a <100 point difference between the two Bioses.

So just use the Bios and stop being manic depressive.  There is NO BENEFIT whatsoever to using the normal Bios.  NONE.  Except human ego.

Some people who also benchmark tested better than I do said the 8A Bios is more stable and has lower temps and less FPS variances than the stock Bios (on "fully working) cards.

Briarknit

• CORPORAL
« Reply #70 on: 20-June-17, 10:50:42 »

Why is it not a solution?
you gain absolutely **ZERO** performance benefit by having the "normal" bios instead of the 8A Bios.
Do you know how automatic overclocking works?

It works by overclocking the card when the card is at *LOW LOAD*.  Low load=NO benefits to GPU bound benchmarks.
On the "fixed' cards, when the auto overclocking occurs past boost clocks. e.g. past 1883 mhz (1443->1643->+200), all that happens is the "VREL" (voltage reliability) throttle flag gets triggered, throttling the card in the low load situation (i saw it at 2000 mhz on a Valley screen when closing the benchmark).

For example, to prove this, I used the 8A Bios and the default Bios on my fully working card, in Valley benchmark, with the card overclocked to 200/300.

So just use the Bios and stop being manic depressive.  There is NO BENEFIT whatsoever to using the normal Bios.  NONE.  Except human ego.

Some people who also benchmark tested better than I do said the 8A Bios is more stable and has lower temps and less FPS variances than the stock Bios (on "fully working) cards.

I wasn't trying to sound "manic depressive" so I apologize if that's how it came off. However, the reason I didn't label it as a "solution" is due to a few reasons:

• 1.) The VBIOS being posted (8A) wasn't even provided by MSI directly, we had to get it from a user from China. If you asked MSI directly "should I use this VBIOS I found from some guy?" they would probably advise against it. Even if this is the same VBIOS that MSI would flash themselves if you sent your laptop in for an RMA, it is not the version that support will tell you to flash when they tell you to update to the latest drivers, BIOS, etc.

• 2.) This isn't really a user problem, this is a problem with the 2016 version of the cards. Why is it "manic depressive" to want exactly what I paid for without having to flash a custom VBIOS from a forum user? I am not in any way saying that the VBIOS is bad or does not work, and I thank the OP for posting this workaround that gets the cards to work without crashing. I am simply saying that personally, I would rather have a laptop with a card that does not need a custom VBIOS to work.

• 3.) I do understand fully that the difference between the two VBIOS versions is negligible. I do. But I am simply saying that for me personally, I would rather have them replace the card so that the older VBIOS isnt needed.

I don't want there to be hostility here. So on that note tonight when I get home from work I will go ahead and try this 8A VBIOS and compare my benchmarks to my default VBIOS and report back. If the performance difference is small enough that I can make up any differences with a custom overclock, I just might cancel the RMA.

falkentyne, in the meantime can you run the IceStorm benchmark from 3DMark (if you have time today) on the 8A VBIOS and your default and tell me what your results are? I'm just curious :).

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #71 on: 20-June-17, 12:59:01 »

The Vbios was supplied by MSI in that region to a chinese user.  There were two Bioses released by msi custom.  One which disables all boost clocks (the one you do NOT WANT), and one which disables automatic overclocking PAST boost clocks (8A).

kenneth.berg

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #72 on: 21-June-17, 01:41:26 »

I dont think this is really true, you probably didnt overclock your fully working card to its max when comparing. I am using the 8A vbios and max core clock I can reach with overclock is 1845mhz before it crashes. People who got a fully working 1070 card can reach over 2000mhz with overclock. If I run firestrike I get 19k graphic score while most others with 1070 cards can reach AT LEAST 21k. Thats 10% performance lost due to the fact that defective 1070 cards cant go above 1845mhz.

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #73 on: 21-June-17, 02:07:34 »

I did overclock the card to the max on BOTH Bioses.  My testing is thorough.  I've been overclocking since 1996.  
I used +250 boost clock on both Bioses and ran Valley Benchmark.

Yes, the original Bios goes up to 2090 mhz, but when that happens, I get a GREEN "Voltage Reliability" throttle limitation.  it only goes up to 2000+ on LOW GPU usage.  That's "automatic overclocking."

On 8A, it stops at 1893 mhz.

maninthebox

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #74 on: 28-June-17, 13:17:09 »

Hey all.

I bought a MSI GT72VR 6RE 273XFR Dominator Pro, in a French online shop (RueDuCommerce / rueducommerce) ... Cause the price was very interesting, just as the GTX1070 included which is very, very powerful.

But same bad things as you guys... I had a lots of problems with this laptop !

My troubles :
1) It started to crash randomly, two weeks after the purchase, so it was too late to return it. I had the choice to call support; but hell I didn't want to do that, I just bought a gaming laptop, and so I already have to return it to the support ? No way...
2) Ghost recon Wildlands : hardware error on Windows makes the game crash randomly, go back to desktop... I saw that there were a lot of bugs in that game, particularly with gtx 1070... so, I thought it was optimization problem of the game, and not a problem with the laptop... But I was wrong.
3) Total war warhammer : hardware error on Windows makes the game crash randomly, go back to desktop. Same :censored: .
4) Final Fantasy XII : couldn't play in fullscreen or with some options... Those options made the game crash too.. I just could play the game on windowed mode and some options deactivated. Still, thought zbout optimization of the game / nvidia drivers, but BEEEEEEP ! You wrong !!!
4 ) Often, the PC suddenly shutdown, where I didn't plug the electrical plug... I mean, even if the battery sill had power in it ! Sometimes, the LED of the battery showed me there were an error (orange color), and I couldn't even restart the laptop... Even if I still had more than 85% battery life... I thought it could be a problem with the battery then... But I was wrong, again.
5) Also, some random crash when browsing the web,
6) Sometimes, some other applications, like the Dragon Center, just crashed, didn't know why..

What I've done (and didn't change anything) :
1) Reinstall Windows 10
2) Install newest NVidia drivers
3) Uninstall NVidia drivers and reinstall NVidia Drivers with the version given by the MSI support
4) Uninstall MSI softwares... (Dragon Player, but also softwares like Nahimic). Yeah, during a while, I thought Dragon Center were the problem... But still, I was wrong.
5) Disable all services at Windows startup...
6) Disable overcloking
7) Turn on fans with the Cooler Booster mode all the time, so that temperatures could be lower.. Honestly, temperatures are really not a problem with this laptop, MSI did a beautiful work with temps, even while gaming with overclocking and with 35°C outside
8) Update the BIOS via MSI Support
9) Changing options in game at a lower graphics
10) and more...

And then, I saw that topic... The "chinese BIOS" that saved a lot of you ! :D

I installed the "chinese" BIOS (8A), link given in previous post : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15_BuSjR26WV0NrbldGVzhlWnc/view
I followed those instructions to install the BIOS, link given in previous post : https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/VBIOS_flash_sop_for_Skylake.pdf

What changed for me ? Well, everything !
1) No more crashes since I've put that bios (since 1 or 2 weeks).
2) Ghost recon Wildlands : works perfectly now, even on ultra, no more crashes
3) Total war warhammer : no more crashes either
4) FF XII works perfectly, with all options, and now even on fullscreen.
4 ) I can work easily without the electrical cable, no more shutdown, no more strange things with the battery, no more orange color for the battery LED ! I now have 3 hours of battery life on ECO mode, as I could expected when buyingthe laptop.
5) No more crash browsing the web either
6) Also, I think the temperatures are better than with the original BIOS, and I have a better overclocking now (better frequencies on sport mode). Better FPS on games, and better score on 3DMark (highest at 13608 for the FireStrike test with Turbo Mode on max settings).

=> It is unacceptable from MSI. All this mess were due to the MSI team that didn't care about having just a :censored: working BIOS for a laptop at about 2000$. So, I don't know if I will buy a MSI Laptop later, in a few years (I hope !), when I will have to replace... It will depend on how long that laptop will live... If it really worth it.I think yes, cause now, really, it is VERY powerful, temps are low even in game, sound is really good too... That laptop is really, really great, and thanks for that MSI... But please, listen to your customers !! And make better tests before selling a laptop !
=> Thank you for all of you, the creator of this thread, the people that gave links, and also people who made a reply to say that it's working perfectly now with this BIOS (and then, so do I)... All the replies really helped me to make it despite the risks.

Have a good gaming ! :-)

fadi.bejjani.10

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #75 on: 29-June-17, 16:34:44 »

Where did 86.04.5B.00.82 come from?
I only know the recalled one that was crashing for everyone (That MSI removed): 86.04.5B.00.44.
Hi, I was checking for driver updates as usual https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT72VR-7RE-Dominator-Pro.html#down-firmware and noticed that a VBIOS update was present in the firmware section that wasn't there before although the date of the VBIOS update is 2017-04-13 and it is this version you are talking about 86.04.5B.00.44.
My current VBIOS Version is: 86.04.31.00.0d,8388608 so I randomly googled the 86.04.5B.00.44 to be sure it's a newer one and found this thread and as I am reading you are saying that this VBIOS version causes problems? So should I keep my 86.04.31.00.0d and ignore the 86.04.5B.00.44? Can you please explain to me in detail why this update appeared suddenly and if it is better to do it or worse and why? Thanks.

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #76 on: 29-June-17, 17:36:25 »

No one knows what that .44 Bios does yet.
It was posted there two months ago for like a few days, then removed suddenly.  There were reports that some laptops were not working or booting with it or something.  Now it's up there again.
I still have the original download from 2 months ago.  Even though the zip file size is different now, the raw binary Bios file is byte for byte identical, including the original date, so nothing was changed.  I see no reason for anyone to flash it.

fadi.bejjani.10

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #77 on: 30-June-17, 11:03:16 »

I contacted the MSI support and that's what they said :"Please don't update the VBIOS. The error is caused by the website editing because these two days MSI Official website is in the re-layout, and the background staff is updating the website to newer version.Now this VBIOS is removed from website."

cuneyt1984mail

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #78 on: 05-July-17, 00:26:31 »

I have GT72VR 6RE.
I ask the question to Msi Technical Application Department.
I downloaded the Vbios software number 86.04.5B.00.44 from your site the other day.But currently there is no site. Why was it removed from the site? Is there a problem with this vbios software? You have a Vbios number of 86.04.31.00.0D on your site. The other day I installed vbios software on my computer at number 86.04.5B.00.44. Do I have to re-install vbios software number 86.04.31.00.0D now? Thanks.

They sent me this answer.
Hello,
No,please continue using your current version 86.04.5B.00.44,there is no need to reinstall 86.04.31.00.0D version.

Best Regards,
MSI Notebook Technical Application Department

Note:The new version vbios.
http://download.msi.com/archive/frm_exe/nb/86.04.5B.00.44.zip

zfxbross

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #79 on: 26-July-17, 05:24:23 »

I've had a major problem. All games breaks after several minutes of play. Ghost Recon Wildlands couldn't last more than 10-15 seconds. I've flashed vBios with these 86.04.5B.00.8A chineese one, and it helped. My laptop runs at Turbo mode with nothing to hold it back. No overheating no glithches, nothing. For two months I've tried to solve this problem, thank you guys!

kuler1992

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #80 on: 20-September-17, 14:49:13 »

I've had a major problem. All games breaks after several minutes of play. Ghost Recon Wildlands couldn't last more than 10-15 seconds. I've flashed vBios with these 86.04.5B.00.8A chineese one, and it helped. My laptop runs at Turbo mode with nothing to hold it back. No overheating no glithches, nothing. For two months I've tried to solve this problem, thank you guys!

Hello!
Also the problem with crashing games, GTA5, WOT, Diablo 3, BF1 and Open Beta Destiny 2.
Notebook GT62VR 6RE, vBios 86.04.31.00.0D.
I understand that the problem is in excess of factory frequencies 1445-1645MHz.
There's no overclocking, SHIFT mode - Sport/Comfort mode.
You say that vBios 86.04.5B.00.8A solves the problem, the official warranty is lost?
Is there an official vBios firmware that fixes the problem?

falkentyne

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #81 on: 20-September-17, 18:05:39 »

There is no 'official' bios except 8A, because this bug is caused by a hardware fault on the card itself, with voltages of 1.013v and higher.  These voltages are only available in "Boost 2" automatic overclocking speeds (past the limit of boost 1 clocks).

miguel_angelrv

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #82 on: 30-October-17, 20:44:06 »

Does anyone got the nvidia GPU replaced in the RMA? or they are just using the vbios with the GPU clock limited to 1446 MHz?
Got the same problem here....

miguel_angelrv

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #83 on: 30-October-17, 21:42:15 »

Looks like this problem only affect the GPU manufactured in 2016 which have are1070 v1.0 the GPUs with the 2017 1070 GPU is using version 1.2 and with the 0d vbios.

Only these two vbios work fine with defective laptops: .82 (limit to 1443mhz) or .8A (1650mhz limit)

Some people could send the laptop to RMA to replace the GPU to 1.2 version (2017) I will try to do it.

kirkov_alex

• SERGEANT
« Reply #84 on: 16-January-18, 03:02:27 »

=> It is unacceptable from MSI. All this mess were due to the MSI team that didn't care about having just a :censored: working BIOS for a laptop at about 2000$. So, I don't know if I will buy a MSI Laptop later, in a few years (I hope !), when I will have to replace... It will depend on how long that laptop will live... If it really worth it.I think yes, cause now, really, it is VERY powerful, temps are low even in game, sound is really good too... That laptop is really, really great, and thanks for that MSI... But please, listen to your customers !! And make better tests before selling a laptop !
=> Thank you for all of you, the creator of this thread, the people that gave links, and also people who made a reply to say that it's working perfectly now with this BIOS (and then, so do I)... All the replies really helped me to make it despite the risks.

Have a good gaming ! :-)

Yes. it's really unacceptable from such a great company. but with laptops of other companies there are more horrified problems because of bios. they just burned off. without any jokes. heard about that "problem" for Asus ROG and Alienware laptops. 
So as i think, better buy laptop with such a problem as crashing and got fix from friendly people on forum, than see your laptop aflame =)

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #85 on: 16-January-18, 19:22:30 »

I am happy to say my laptop is completely problem-free in respect to gpu so far. Could change with time, idk. But if I had to choose, I would rather not see my card boost so high than CPU going to 100 degrees celsius and thermal throttle. Or have it die soon due to heat... I see many laptops aside from the gt series that have bad overheating problems with cpu, rendering it useless. I mean if it overheats during games, what would happen if rendering a video, probably catch on fire as the person before said.... I'd go for MSI any day again just for the damn cooling and easy access to internals. You knew asuses had to be disassembled down to bare motherboard in other to repaste....?
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

johan.aslund

• CORPORAL
« Reply #86 on: 18-January-18, 00:39:27 »

Hi,

I have had my MSI GT72VR 6RE for a little over a year now, and has been one of the worst laptop buys I have made considering the hefty price tag I payed for it believing I got a class A product. 

Constant frame drops and and some random crashes now and then, plus the battery which recently gave up also... Never had a battery in laptop die before... Also the Wifi was "%¤&""/%¤"/&¤"¤ nightmare in the beginning since the drivers weren't mature for Win10 and made the Wifi just dissapear.
I have tried everything and one of the largest crooks has been the Nahimic sound. This allmost elliminated the frame drops.

Now I finally found this chineese VBIOS and tried it and now I get super smooth performance, but when I browse this thread I understand that if the computer works fine with the .8A VBIOS my card is most likely deffective? My laptop is one of the first (bought 2016), so the chance is big that mine really has a deffective GPU, only problem is I don't think I can be without the laptop for a month while having it sent away for RMA...

Too bad MSI screwed up these laptops so hard otherwise my next laptop would surely be a MSI....

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #87 on: 18-January-18, 03:43:14 »

Yeah the gpu's on some of the first models were no good with high voltage, which causes crashes. The .8A vbios keeps voltage low. There should also be tweaks you can do in msi afterburner to achieve this with the custom voltage/frequency curve I believe but tbh I don't know how to use that. My laptop is special since it comes with the 6820HK processor but is still the GT72VR model. It should be a late 2016 model, but thankfully does not suffer from the gpu thing. Seeing how many laptops were sold, I think that it's just the minority that is affected however. Otherwise they would have to recall or release the .8A vbios officially. Tbh, you don't lose out with the lower frequency as I am on the .0D official one for my model and my GPU in very demanding games stays around 1600 anyway due to power limit. There is some chance your card will deteriorate with time and even the .8A vbios won't do anymore, that happened to few people (I emphasize few - which probably means the chance is very low).
Which version of nahimic are/were you running that caused frame drops? I have 0 issues with the 2.3.20 version with driver 6.0.1.8166. I find newer ones to have lower audio quality, somewhat less depth to the sound. Older versions on the other hand sometimes crackle.
As for wifi, do you have the killer suite installed? That usually seems to be the culprit. There are "drivers only" versions on the killernetworking.com website. You should look into that, my wifi has been good to me and pretty fast after getting rid of the msi drivers and suite (at first it was literally unusable).
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

johan.aslund

• CORPORAL
« Reply #88 on: 19-January-18, 02:52:33 »

I'm I have tried all Nahimic versions, including the latest soundcard drivers. As soon as I uninstall Nahimic 2 allmost all framedrops is gone. Too bad since the laptop sounds really bad without Nahimic, but since I use an external monitor the absence of Nahimic is a none issue. Is Nahimic 2 CPU-dependant? Mayby it's some kind of CPU throttleing?

Anyway I will probably send the computer away for an RMA when I'm close to the 2y warrenty to end, since I will probably have gotten a new computer by then (not an MSI for sure).....

prodigy007

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #89 on: 08-February-18, 06:24:58 »

Hello. I'm from Russia. I have a laptop MSI GT73VR 6RE gtx 1070. The laptop turned off in games with a load higher with the BIOS of the video card from the download section 3A when the frequency exceeded 1845, I asked for the video card with the Chinese BIOS 8A and the laptop worked perfectly at 1645 MHz! In the dragon center, I added the clock in turbo mode to 1845 MHz and my video card worked just fine, but I still after half a year gave the laptop to the service center and asked to replace the video card. The laptop was a series of 2016 H1608. I was replaced with a card, but there was a bios of 86.04.5B.00.82 and the maximum card frequency in the boost was 1443MHz, then I called the service master and together we asked for a card for version 3A, I ran the game, added acceleration in the dragon center and the card worked perfectly for frequency of 2050MHz !!! Now I'm completely happy !!!:)

jalado86

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #90 on: 03-June-18, 23:52:07 »

hi is there anybody who has the 86.04.20.00.14 vbios?

hightone.alex

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #91 on: 22-March-19, 10:47:37 »

A BIG THANK YOU !!!

After days and weeks of searching and reinstalling everything, windows, drivers, bios, everything many times.
I even changed the thermal paste, and gave a good clean to the ventilators !!

My MSI GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro (with 1070 inside) doesnt crash anymore !!!
Downclocking with MSI Afterburner is not enough !

Flashing the BIOS is THE solution for now,  the gpu core is now running 1442 mhz or 1645mhz if boosted.

Again thanks for the solution !!

I copy paste here what worked for me :

I installed the "chinese" BIOS (8A), link given in previous post : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15_BuSjR26WV0NrbldGVzhlWnc/view
I followed those instructions to install the BIOS, link given in previous post : https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/VBIOS_flash_sop_for_Skylake.pdf

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up