Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ryzen 3600 on my B450 Mortar  (Read 340 times)

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Ryzen 3600 on my B450 Mortar
« on: 25-July-19, 08:57:15 »

I just thought I'd post this on it's own.  I know people are experiencing some difficulties with the new BIOS'. I updated with a 1000 series processor using M-FLASH.  I was also careful to CLEAR CMOS before trying to boot up with the new processor. It started right up....

In spite of all the hate I've read, l do love this simplified GSE-Lite BIOS, it's logically organized and easy/fast to navigate.  The only thing I miss is the lack of a way to save settings profiles.  A real heart-burn especially when you have to load up fan curves.

But that said, this BIOS is buggy.  First: I don't know if it fully enables stock boosting,  for 3600 processors at least.  That's because I've never recorded the processor ever boosting over 3775Mhz at full-stock settings (no changes to BIOS).

So I tried enabling some of the overclocking features and the second bug pops out: it's very unforgiving if it crashes in Windows.  The computer 'cold bricks', or won't boot up again.  I have to turn it off and put a short on CMOS reset pins for about 5 min's with power disconnected then it will boot.  And so here's where the lack of saved profiles becomes such a pain, setting up absolutely everything again.

My GSkill memory went perfect to rated 3200, CL14 speeds just with setting XMP2, that simple. Terrific.  With that and getting a 4.15Ghz all-core overclock makes it perform pretty good.  I can probably get more but failure means resetting BIOS every time so I'm going kind of slow.  4.2Ghz all-core is the 'gold standard' for 3600/3600X processors, that's where I hope to end up.  I've a 240mm AIO so it stays very cool -- mid 60's even under heavy stress test loads.  

Still so, if I could just set up PBO so I know it's boosting to 4.2Ghz on single cores in lightly threaded workloads I'd be much happier and just do that.  I'm expecting more BIOS updates though, so more to come as everything settles down.

buddyw53Topic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
Re: Ryzen 3600 on my B450 Mortar
« Reply #1 on: 28-July-19, 15:03:52 »

UPDATE to prior post!

I found out what I was doing  wrong in BIOS for boosting: it seems I have to DISABLE Cool N Quiet.  I'm not sure if that's normal, but it's what worked.  Now the processor boosts as it should and I can even use PBO settings to tweak it's boost behaviours.  Very nice!

It's still has very inelegant crash behaviour though: if the system crashes I might have to shut down and reset CMOS to recover from it.  Not nice, especially without any way to save profiles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up