Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD AM4 Ryzen Overclocking Guide (X370 and B350)  (Read 29348 times)

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator

NOTE : While I am a moderator and a mild enthusiast, I am by no means an expert.  Do your research, look at some other guides online, and be sure that the changes you make to your system will not hurt it. I ONLY STATE THIS FOR YOUR PROTECTION!  (and as a mild disclaimer that myself nor MSI are responsible for your actions)
NOTE 2 : While this is based on me using an MSI B350 Gaming Plus board with a Ryzen 5 1500X, it will be similar for all MSI based X370 and B350 boards, with only some minor changes in the menus within the overclocking page.
NOTE 3 : This guide is meant for those with little to no knowledge of overclocking. This is a beginners guide, and is not meant to help those doing extreme overclocking and cooling attain higher clocks.

With that out of the way, lets start with some of the basics.

The main CPU’s that this guide will cover will be the following :
NAME                                   Base CLK              BOOST CLK
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X        3.6 GHz                 4.0 GHz
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X        3.4 GHz                 3.8 GHz
AMD Ryzen 7 1700           3.0 GHz                 3.7 GHz
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X        3.6 GHz                 4.0 GHz
AMD Ryzen 5 1600           3.2 GHz                 3.6 GHz
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X        3.5 GHz                 3.7 GHz
AMD Ryzen 5 1400           3.2 GHz                 3.4 GHz

Let’s start with some basic terminology :
CPU Core Voltage : This is the core voltage fed to the CPU.
CPU NB Voltage : On most MSI motherboards, this really changes the voltage that is fed to all the ancilliary hardware ‘around’ the CPU cores, and it otherwise known as the SoC voltage in most AMD documentation and presentations.
DRAM Voltage : This is the voltage fed to the DRAM modules.
LLC : Load Line Calibration – This is a function of the motherboard whereby it attempts to better handle changes in load and regulate the voltage to a component better during those abrupt changes in load.
DRAM Frequency : This is the frequency of your memory.

BIOS Updates
See : https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.0 for the latest BETA BIOS update for your board. This is a great place to start prior to overclocking your board, simply because new features could be added that could allow faster memory or CPU speeds, as well as increased performance for the very young Ryzen platform.

BIOS Setup and Memory Overclocking

With that out of the way, lets start with the basics. When you first boot your PC, you’ll be presented with a main screen as follows :

The first thing you’ll want to do is enter the ‘Advanced’ mode by pressing F7 on your keyboard.
You should now have a screen as follows :

In this screenshot, you can already see I have overclocked my system….however we can still go over the settings.
At this point, click on the “Overclocking settings OC” button on the middle left.
In there, you will have a screen similar to the following :

At this point, you see a few settings right away.
I would start by changing the OC Explore Mode : FROM – Normal TO – Expert. This unlocks a few menu’s further down.

Next, I would change your Memory Retry Count : FROM – 5 TO – 2.
This changes how many times the system will retry booting if you set the memory clock higher than the system can handle.
Next, I would concentrate on getting your memory running at the highest frequency possible. There are a few ways to do this, namely :
1.Setting the DRAM frequency manually
2.Trying the A-XMP Profiles (1 or 2)
3.Using the Memory Try It! Feature
I would attempt to setup the memory in the order outlined above.
MANUAL MEMORY SETUP
First, set the memory to the max frequency supported by the memory. (At the time of this writing, if you are using memory with timings greater than 3200 MHz, the highest you should set it to is 3200 MHz)
At this point, I would reboot and see if it sticks. Be prepared to using the CMOS reset jumper in case it doesn’t work.
If it doesn’t work, then I would go 1 step lower in speed (usually 2933 MHz if starting at 3200 MHz) and see if the system can boot with it at that frequency.
Repeat this until the system can boot and it seems stable.
A-XMP Profiles
If you want to try A-XMP, the profiles work as follows :
1.Profile 1 is 1 step lower than the MAX frequency supported by the memory. So for 3200 MHz memory, it would try it at 2933 MHz.
2.Profile 2 is set to the MAX frequency of your memory.
Select the profile you’d like to use and reboot to see if it’s stable. If it doesn’t boot you may need to clear the CMOS to get it to boot again.
Memory Try It!
This is very simple. It will reboot and try your memory at a few settings to determine which ones will work and go from there.  This is basically a last resort at attempting to just overclock your memory ‘simply’.

Now, if you managed to get it to a decent frequency and you’re happy, you can skip down further to the overclocking the CPU parts.
However, if you weren’t quite stable and think things could improve, continue reading!
The first thing to change voltage wise to help with memory overclocking is the NB Voltage. This has valid values of 0.8V to 1.15V for constant usage. Any higher than 1.2V and your CPU’s life span could be decreased substantially!   I generally recommend 1.10V to 1.15V for this if you’re having issues getting the memory running at a higher clock.

The next voltage to change is the DRAM Voltage. This can help increase the stability of the system when overclocking the memory. The DRAM Voltage is OK from 1.2V up to 1.45V. Any higher than 1.5V and your memory may get cooked or damaged!   I don’t recommend anything over 1.45V for the memory.

At this point, reboot and see if it works. It might take a few tries to get everything configured properly and working well, but those higher clock speeds will be worth if, if your memory supports it.
CPU Overclocking
Now that we have the memory overclocking setup and stable, it’s time to overclock the CPU. This is quite simply a matter of changing the frequency and the BIOS should take care of the rest. See the next picture for a before :

And after :

Just type in the frequency you’d like (in MHz) and that’s it!
Next, I would consider increasing the CPU Core Voltage. This is normally around 1.2V under a full load at stock settings, but can vary up to 1.5V under heavy loads with XFR.
That being said, for a 24 hour/7day/week overclock, I would keep the CPU Core Voltage between 1.2V and 1.45V at the very maximum! I generally wouldn’t even go above 1.4V for an overclock.

At this point, save and reboot to see if the overclock boots to the BIOS. If it doesn’t, then you either have the frequency too high (Lower it by 100 MHz), or your CPU Core Voltage is too low (increase it by 0.175V at a time, until you hit 1.4V).
If you up the CPU Core Voltage to 1.4V and it’s still having issues booting into Windows or running a benchmark without restarting, I would lower the CPU Frequency by 100 MHz and try again.

To give some reference, my R5 1500X was able to hit 4.0 GHz at 1.3875V stable during Prime95 and other benchmarks, followed by a few hours of random games.
However, at 4.1 GHz I could boot to the BIOS and be stable, but I was unable to boot into Windows successfully, even at 1.45V.
This is how I arrived at using 4.0 GHz and then 1.3875V. Any less than 1.3875V and it would restart when I tried to do a benchmark or a game.

I’ve also seen a number of people concerned with their temperatures.
My case is by no means the perfect setup, and my wiring is by no means in the best ‘placement’ to allow efficient air flow. However, my system temps are all in the 30C to 45C degree range while typing this up. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them increase as load increases, but realistically the system temps should stay below 60C.

If there are any questions, concerns, or things that are incorrect, please post so that we can fix them!

Also, if you’d like, post your overclocks and voltages. It’s interesting to see what other users are able to get.

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: 19-May-17, 00:32:57 »

Username   CPU      Overclock  Core Voltage  Memory Clock  Memory Make
darkhawk1500X4.0 GHz1.3875V2400Adata (unknown model ATM)
Nichrome1500X4.0 GHz1.40V2133Avexir White Core Series 2x8GB
buywonderbread17003.9 GHz1.36253200G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
Nichrome1500X4.0GHz1.40V2933XPG ADATA Dazzle ME-AD4824D16x2

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 19-May-17, 08:09:05 »

I recently got myself Ryzen system too. Although got a X370 SLI PLUS. Here's my progress:

1500X  4.0GHz  1.4v(didn't try lower yet)  Mem. Spd. 2133MHz   Mem. Brand: Avexir White Core Series 2x8GB.

Just to note: I did try extreme voltage to get 4.1GHz, but no POST. 1.55v is no go.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

Tech025

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 19-May-17, 14:06:16 »

Hello, I have an msi b350m mortar and ryzen 1600x when I set the cpu frequency to 3800 and cpu core voltage to 1.3125 or higher, it booted successfully and it shows on bios the
overclocked frequency but on windows it runs only on 2199mhz. But if i set the voltage to auto it works without problem. Is it a bug in bios?
MSI B350M Mortar v1.54
AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
8GB DDR4 2133 MHZ APACER
500GB WESTERN DIGITAL HDD

SAPPHIRE R9 270X 2GB
AEROCOOL STRIKE X 600W BRONZE

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 19-May-17, 15:18:39 »

Hello, I have an msi b350m mortar and ryzen 1600x when I set the cpu frequency to 3800 and cpu core voltage to 1.3125 or higher, it booted successfully and it shows on bios the
overclocked frequency but on windows it runs only on 2199mhz. But if i set the voltage to auto it works without problem. Is it a bug in bios?

Most likely it is a bug.....I've sent info to MSI to see if they can look into it, as it seems to be a pretty widespread issue on a number of boards right now with the latest BIOS.

buywonderbread

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 20-May-17, 08:57:52 »

My most rock solid OC on my Ryzen 7 1700 is 3.9GHz on my b350 Tomahawk motherboard.

CPU Voltage: 1.3625
NB Voltage: 1.025
Ram Voltage: 1.36
Using LLC mode 3 for NB and CPU voltages.

Using 2 x 8GB sticks of TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ @ 3200MHz with correct XMP timings (14-14-14-34)

3950 MHz or higher at these voltages is not stable.  I tried 4GHz with 1.45V on CPU and 1.1V on NB but system restarts when running prime95 small FFT not too long into the test.  I think the only thing that may squeeze more performance out would be playing with a BLCK feature which my board does not have.

Also adding 2 more sticks of the same ram causes further issues with stability.  4 sticks can only achieve 2933MHz with loose timings (18-20-20-38 I believe)

That's my experience so far using the latest beta bios (v1.61)

nicki.yugi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 26-May-17, 02:46:58 »

hello everyone! my most stable oc with the b350 gaming pro motherboard and the ryzen 1600 none x version was 3.8 ghz using the above method. i ran timespy benchmark and it yielded a cpu score of 5277 whice is pretty damn good in my opinion. my core voltage in cpuz is going as high as 1.4 i realy hope i will be ok lol

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 26-May-17, 05:16:27 »

hello everyone! my most stable oc with the b350 gaming pro motherboard and the ryzen 1600 none x version was 3.8 ghz using the above method. i ran timespy benchmark and it yielded a cpu score of 5277 whice is pretty damn good in my opinion. my core voltage in cpuz is going as high as 1.4 i realy hope i will be ok lol

I'm just glad this is helpful to someone. :)

3.8 GHz isn't bad at all. I had to drop to 3.9 GHz myself because 4.0 GHz was a bit too unpredictable and crashed under heavy loads, even with much more voltage.
3.9 GHz was rock solid for me though.

Hopefully, eventually, I can expand on this more once I have more parts to better handle this thread.

nicki.yugi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 26-May-17, 12:12:05 »

I'm just glad this is helpful to someone. :)

3.8 GHz isn't bad at all. I had to drop to 3.9 GHz myself because 4.0 GHz was a bit too unpredictable and crashed under heavy loads, even with much more voltage.
3.9 GHz was rock solid for me though.

Hopefully, eventually, I can expand on this more once I have more parts to better handle this thread.
i am vary happy with my oc even tho i know most people with my cpu can get atleast 3.9 and some rare cases of 4  or 4.1. i seem to be fairly stable and honestly this cpu seems to rek every task ive thrown at it with little to no sweat, regardless of the wraith cooler thats on there xD my question to you sir is. am i soposely allright at 1.4v on the core? for a 24/7 operation?

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 26-May-17, 13:56:21 »

i am vary happy with my oc even tho i know most people with my cpu can get atleast 3.9 and some rare cases of 4  or 4.1. i seem to be fairly stable and honestly this cpu seems to rek every task ive thrown at it with little to no sweat, regardless of the wraith cooler thats on there xD my question to you sir is. am i soposely allright at 1.4v on the core? for a 24/7 operation?

1.4V is the absolute maximum I would use for a 24/7 clock, with a good/decent cooler. The wraith is probably sufficient.

I might try seeing if you can drop it down to 1.3875 just for the sake of it.

Also....as a side note....when you setup your overclock, after you adjust the voltage, go down to the CPU settings at the very bottom and enable AMD Cool'N'Quiet again. (It auto-disables when you overclock/over-volt).

nicki.yugi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 26-May-17, 19:08:03 »

1.4V is the absolute maximum I would use for a 24/7 clock, with a good/decent cooler. The wraith is probably sufficient.

I might try seeing if you can drop it down to 1.3875 just for the sake of it.

Also....as a side note....when you setup your overclock, after you adjust the voltage, go down to the CPU settings at the very bottom and enable AMD Cool'N'Quiet again. (It auto-disables when you overclock/over-volt)
thank you so much sir. thanks to your advise i managed to add another 100mhz making my oc 3.9!!! i double checked my bios and it besicly tells me that even tho i put in 1.3875volts on vcore it still bounces up to 1.392 whice is sopose should be allright now that cool n queiet i back

papasteack

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 28-May-17, 22:47:16 »

My actual overclock with r5 1600 is 3,85Ghz with 1,3875V on a b350 tomahawk (beta bios 1,62 agesa 1.0.0.6). Needed too much voltage to stabilize higher frequency, and fans runned crazy too often.
DDR4 is 2*4Go Adata xpg z1 3333 cl16 (single rank)@3200 CR1-CL14@1,45V. Stable under prime blend test. Agesa 1.0.0.6 allowed  CL14, against CL16 before.

When cpu was brand new, it were stable at same voltage at 3,95ghz under prime, so lost 100mhz.

I wasn't far from stabilizing memory at 3333, found 2 procODT working values (53-60 ohm) with ~1,05 to ~1,2v working CLDO vddp values, 1,2v on soic NB voltage, and 1,45 on DDR4. I used even CR2 CL18 timings.
It seemed that soic voltage were the problem, since windows was not starting at 1v, but 1-2min stable under prime at 1,2v. Didn't want to try higher. 

metalwarrior2001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #12 on: 06-June-17, 12:09:14 »

Got 3,8 GHz on my R5 1600 on a B350 Tomahawk @ 1,25V Vcore (set on Auto, because manual VCore setting doesn't work currently )
Seems to be a pretty good CPU  :)

contact

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 07-June-17, 13:26:57 »

Got 3,8 GHz on my R5 1600 on a B350 Tomahawk @ 1,25V Vcore (set on Auto, because manual VCore setting doesn't work currently )
Seems to be a pretty good CPU  :)
Can you confirm that you just set the frequency to 3800 and that's all ? :)
By the way, what is the frequency of your DDR4 and your BIOS version ?

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 08-June-17, 17:33:06 »

Where did the op get click bios 5 software from. I searched whole internet but it didnt find it

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 08-June-17, 17:49:49 »

Mine is a x370 carbon gaming mobo. Most of the bios settings shown by Op are missing. This is ridiculous, compared to the price-features others are getting using a x350 gaming plus

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #16 on: 08-June-17, 18:02:05 »

I dont have features like memory try it/ retry count with a msi x370 gaming carbon. Are you kidding me why is it included in a low price 350 gaming plus compared to the high priced x370 carbon gaming

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 08-June-17, 18:06:34 »

I dont have features like memory try it/ retry count with a msi x370 gaming carbon. Are you kidding me why is it included in a low price 350 gaming plus compared to the high priced x370 carbon gaming

Because the B350 Gaming Plus has a newer BIOS available with AGESA 1.0.0.6. The X370 Gaming Carbon does not have an updated bios with that included yet. 
The B350 Tomahawk, Tomahawk Arctic, PC Mate, and Gaming Plus all have nearly identical designs and get updates at the same time.
The B350 Tomahawk and X370 Titanium are the main motherboards that get BIOS updates first, and then it disseminates to all other boards in the series afterwards.

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 08-June-17, 18:10:28 »

So, I can get it soon hopefully. Thanks for the reply @darkhawk

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 08-June-17, 18:13:37 »

So, I can get it soon hopefully. Thanks for the reply @darkhawk

I don't have a time frame of WHEN the next BIOS will be available. My hope is that it's soon, but it's proving to be taking longer than even I expected. :(

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #20 on: 09-June-17, 02:14:53 »

@darkhawk Are the screenshots from your bios or from the clickbios software for windows?

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 09-June-17, 02:21:25 »

@darkhawk Are the screenshots from your bios or from the clickbios software for windows?

That is from my B350 Gaming Plus test system. I'm running a newer BIOS now (M22), but the general options are the same.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 09-June-17, 07:13:09 »

There is no clickbios software for windows anymore.
I only take responsibility for what I say, not for what you understand.  Any posts are my own views!

metalwarrior2001

• SERGEANT
« Reply #23 on: 09-June-17, 12:25:57 »

Can you confirm that you just set the frequency to 3800 and that's all ? :)
By the way, what is the frequency of your DDR4 and your BIOS version ?
Yes i can confitm it. I just set the frequency to 3800Mhz and left the Vcore on Auto. But i did it out of necessity, because i cant change the vcore setting due to a bios bug ( CPU will run @1550 Mhz if i set the vore manually )

My Ram runs @ 2667 with 14-16-16-16-34 1T settings and i am using the latest 1.64 beta Bios.

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #24 on: 09-June-17, 17:54:23 »

Thanks for the info Nochrome, but why did they remove it? It was working good with my 970 gaming mobo.

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 09-June-17, 17:57:15 »

@darkhawk I updated my bios to the latest available version in msi website and viola I can see the missing options now

sankinartur

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #26 on: 12-June-17, 17:46:28 »

Hi,
Have available Ryzen 1600X and 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (is recomented to work at 3.2 GHz) on B350 Tomahawk.
Question on overclocking RAM. On the BIOS 1.5 memory to XMP1 profile starts at a frequency of 2933, not more, on the XMP2 profile the computer will not start. After updating to BIOS 1.64 computer does not start even at the XMP1 profile. No manual, Memory Try it! presets on 2933 3200 no presets, no manual frequency setting was not successful. Ie at 1.64 I have not managed to overclock the memory in any way at all. The system was run exclusively on the 2133. Had to roll back to 1.5 for a stable 2933.
The question of how to achieve frequency 3200? And in the Internet there are profiles that CPU-Z where the frequency of 3200 was reached at Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.

I will try NB/SoC voltage to 1.1V
DRAM voltage to 1.4V or 1.45V
Manually set the frequency to 2933 MHz or 3200 MHz, but the system does not start even at 2933 in manual mode. System consistently starts with 3900CPU and 2933RAM only and only XMP1 profile in BIOS 1.5. The BIOS 1.64 and earlier run only in 2133. Are there any other ideas?

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 12-June-17, 17:48:28 »

Just a little update. Updated my BIOS to BETA version with AGESA 1.0.0.6, and my RAM rated at 2x8GB 2400MHz is running just fine with MemoryTryIt! at 2933MHz! Had to put ADATA RAM back into this system, as Avexir looks better in my main build 8-))

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #28 on: 12-June-17, 18:04:00 »

Wow, @nichrome thats a great news, hope my corsiar vengeance 2400 will run at atleast 2666Mhz after next agesa bios update

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #29 on: 12-June-17, 18:08:26 »

By the way mine is a corsair vengeance lpx 2400 kit. I tried overclocking it but it didnt work and only thing I can achieve is tighter timings and that too with memory try it

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #30 on: 12-June-17, 18:14:37 »

@Darkhawk after I updated my bios to 7A32v15. Every time I switch on my pc it directs to bios screen without any key press then when I reboot again it goes into windows. Did any one faced this problem, respond?

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: 12-June-17, 18:18:14 »

@Darkhawk after I updated my bios to 7A32v15. Every time I switch on my pc it directs to bios screen without any key press then when I reboot again it goes into windows. Did any one faced this problem, respond?
Uninstall current Command Center and install this version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Z98LONNR0hSjF2RFRYR0FrcnM/view
Also next time open new thread.

yuvathejaer

• SERGEANT
« Reply #32 on: 12-June-17, 18:21:24 »

Thanks nichrome

sankinartur

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #33 on: 13-June-17, 18:18:43 »

In the case of reaching 3200, anyone have ideas?

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: 13-June-17, 18:25:06 »

In the case of reaching 3200, anyone have ideas?

Outside of trying more loose timings, there isn't much to be done. 
Remember, it isn't guaranteed to hit 3200 MHz....it's an overclock, and not every CPU will do the same speeds.

conguyen1204

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #35 on: 15-June-17, 11:55:32 »

Hi guys,
I got trouble with my PC in OC mode.
PC:
Main B350M Mortal
CPU Ryzen 5 1400

Default CPU F= 3.2
Boost CPU F=3.7

When I try to active Game Boost Function in BIOS (F + 500MHz)
CPU F become 3.7MHz 
Other function (RAM, FAN..) no change.
 ... but.
Vcore from 1.254 to 1.464V
So, every time i reboot, first time, PC boot to BIOS and alarm Vcore high (red color).
I must press 10 to agree and reboot, PC enter windown, i check by MSI CPUz that time is 1.464V

I test some game, soft, Temp. CPU from 40 - 60 (oC).. i think not so bad
But i afraid for my hardware if Vcore over 1.4V

Please tell me this is a trouble or normal status when active game boost function.!!!
Many thanks for your advise!!

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 16-June-17, 01:49:36 »

I prefer to not use gameboost.
I don't like MSI decided to use voltages that high.

If you really want the best overall overclock, stick to doing it by manual methods via the guide.

isi--81

• SERGEANT
« Reply #37 on: 17-June-17, 00:19:28 »

Quote from: sankinartur on Tue Jun 13 2017 13:18:43 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)Quote from: sankinarturIn the case of reaching 3200, anyone have ideas?

CLDO_VDDP @ 0.975V, SoC @ 1.1625V, DRAM @ 1.36-1.4V
Combine those voltages above with the Memory Try it! for 3200 18-20 etc, change that first 18 to 20 too, so that you have 3200 CL20-20-20-20-38.
If that wont work, stay with 3066MHz. To be honest, in most games you will not see any advantages between 3200 vs f.e.2666, because we  are most of the time GPU limited.
My 2666MHz RAM can do 3200MHz but i prefer to use 3066MHz with lower voltages, lower SoC voltage etc.
You can see differences in FPS when you play f.e. @ 1080P with medium settings, with at least a GTX 1070 or higher.
Test it for yourself check FPS with your video settings you normally use and native resolution of your monitor.
@ 1080P max Settings and above you will see nearly no differences at all between 2666 vs 3200.
Most of the time high CPU clocks arent needed eighter. nearly no difference in FPS between 3.6GHz vs 4GHz, like i said try it for yourself in your games.
You can deactivate the "turbo mode" too (Core Performance Boost in the Bios), with that deactivated, my 1700 is running with 3.7GHz allcore and max 1.192V (voltage on auto) (if turbo mode enabled voltage will go very high 1.4V+)
On auto the voltages will drop in idle mode to <0.7V or even lower. Thats some of my experiences so far.
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic H.52 Bios
CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 stock
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4-3066 CL16-17-17-18-32 (2x16GB)
VGA: GTX 1070 FTW

d-tsi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #38 on: 17-June-17, 13:32:42 »

Hello there and thanx for this awesome guide!
I have ryzen 1700 with MSI gaming pro carbon and vengeance LPX 2x8 3200MHz.
I have the known issue that my RAM is running at 2100 so i just treaked only the DRAM frequency to 2900 from bios just as u showed in your guide.
Seems to working fine, i mean it recognises it at 2900 but everytime i open the pc i get the alarm sound (5 times) and then my pc opens.My question is about that sound.Should i do something about it? and how? What this sound trying to indicate me?
Thanx again!

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: 17-June-17, 14:04:18 »

Hello there and thanx for this awesome guide!
I have ryzen 1700 with MSI gaming pro carbon and vengeance LPX 2x8 3200MHz.
I have the known issue that my RAM is running at 2100 so i just treaked only the DRAM frequency to 2900 from bios just as u showed in your guide.
Seems to working fine, i mean it recognises it at 2900 but everytime i open the pc i get the alarm sound (5 times) and then my pc opens.My question is about that sound.Should i do something about it? and how? What this sound trying to indicate me?
Thanx again!

What BIOS version are you on? 
Have you tried a newer beta BIOS? See : https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=283344.0

d-tsi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #40 on: 17-June-17, 14:06:24 »

Update:
I forgot to mention that i also tweaked NB V. to 1.10 and DRAM v. to 1.2 to see if that sound will stop.Then i also downgraded the DRAM frequency to 2660, but again the sound didnt stop.
The pc and the ram was working fine though. but I didnt risk it to let it there so i restore to default Bios setting and DRAM fr. went again to 2100 :(
Any suggestion? (except tofrom waiting for bios update...)
Thank you in advance.

d-tsi

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #41 on: 17-June-17, 14:09:01 »

Thank you for your reply.
I m using 1.2 version.
I saw these new versions but arent them Beta? i know tha soon the new AGESA version will come out but no for my gaming pro carbon yet.
Is beta versions safe or should i wait the original new one?

darkhawkTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: 17-June-17, 14:11:00 »

See my post above.

It sounds like you're on a much older BIOS, which did have cases where that could happen.
The newer BETA BIOS should be more forgiving.

They are relatively safe and do include the AGESA updates in them. All the B350 and X370 boards at this point from MSI should have an AGESA 1.0.0.6 version available within that thread. Just download the newest one and try it out. 

Most users have been able to get at least within 1 step down from their memories rated speeds (so, 2933 MHz for 3200 memory), and many can hit the rated frequency.

99007vbond

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #43 on: 17-June-17, 15:19:23 »

I am using MSI X370 Krait Gaming Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (overclocked to 3.9GHz), Memory G.Skill Ripjwas V F4-3000C15D-16GVRB ( overclocked to 2933MHz ) and MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G Graphic card, Cooler Master 120 Lite cpu cooler and 550 watt power supply , Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.

Issue's

Processor Clock speed limited to 2200 MHz i.e 2.2 GHz with the latest bios 7A33v13.
Processor Clock speed limited to 2200 MHz i.e 2.2 GHz eliminates when older bios is flashed i.e 7A33v10.
When older version of bios is flashed the memory clock speed which is represented in the windows task manager is 1067 i.e 2133 Double Data Rate.
When latest version of bios is flashed the memory clock speed which is represented in the windows task manager becomes 2933.
MSI Gaming App OSD Shows the right overclock for memory 2933 with both old and latest bios version.
No matter what windows task manager shows the right overclock for processor in latest bios and with older version of it.

Nichrome

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 17-June-17, 15:40:47 »

Guys, please post your issues in relevant sections. This topic is overclocking related, not BETA BIOS issues or anything like that. For such issues, post in BETA section with own, new thread.

Benz

• CORPORAL
« Reply #45 on: 21-June-17, 16:59:40 »

Well after OCing with MSI Command Center my Ryzen 5 1600 can achieve a stable OC @ 4GHz w 1.3750 vCore. At least until new BIOS arrives to rectify this most unfortunate circumstance.
NZXT H440 Black
Club3D CSP-D700CB
MSI X370 Krait Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3825MHz @ 1.315v
2X8GB G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX
GIGABYTE GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD 6GB / GTX 1060
Intel SSD M.2 600P 256GB NVMe SSDPEKKW256G7X1
WD HDD 2TB Black WD2003FZEX

ereider20010103

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #46 on: 13-July-17, 12:09:50 »

Lucky! My 1700 @ 3.8GHz needs 1.3875v to be stable from 1.275v 3.7GHz... Would PLL increase make it easier to reach 3.9GHz?

makc.pst

• CORPORAL
« Reply #47 on: 16-July-17, 18:20:48 »

MB B350 Tomahawk BIOS 1.60
Ryzen R5 1600 @ 3825 MHz 1.375 Vcore
Kingston HyperX Fury HX426C15FB/8 x 2 (Micron B-die 25nm 2-Rank) @ 3066 MHz CL 14-16-16-35 (1.38 Vddr, 1.15 Vsoc, 0.92 V CLDO_VDDP, Proc_ODT 68.6 Ohm)

Fully stable memtest, OCCT, linpack-AVX

Benz

• CORPORAL
« Reply #48 on: 16-July-17, 23:07:02 »

Yup that's it.

Beta BIOS v1.51 for X370 Krait Gaming fixed the issue with multiplier stuck at x15.5 for non X models and x22 for X models.
Now my damn CPU can't hit 4GHz with any given voltage. The maximum is 3.95GHz @ 1.365v rock stable which is totally fine for now till refined Ryzens hit the market :)
NZXT H440 Black
Club3D CSP-D700CB
MSI X370 Krait Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3825MHz @ 1.315v
2X8GB G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX
GIGABYTE GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD 6GB / GTX 1060
Intel SSD M.2 600P 256GB NVMe SSDPEKKW256G7X1
WD HDD 2TB Black WD2003FZEX

manaolanze

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #49 on: 19-July-17, 08:19:47 »

Most likely it is a bug.....I've sent info to MSI to see if they can look into it, as it seems to be a pretty widespread issue on a number of boards right now with the latest BIOS.
^ any update for this? Im using R5 1600 3.9 and 3200 and on h61 bios. But in windows it says otherwise
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up