Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The MSI WS65 8SK: Powerful, Portable, and Poised  (Read 1571 times)

frank.tf.tsaiTopic starter

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
The MSI WS65 8SK: Powerful, Portable, and Poised
« on: 17-January-19, 02:08:33 »

With its Workstation laptop series, MSI strives to provide a mobile solution to professionals on the move who do not want to sacrifice performance. The WS65 8SK truly delivers, packing the beastly Intel Core i9-8950HK into a chassis only 17.9mm thick. With this top-of-the-line processor, video editing, CAD modeling, and other computational-intensive applications should be a breeze.
Due to its high-powered nature, one might assume the WS65 8SK to often operate at higher temperatures. However, MSI’s efficient Cooler Boost Trinity technology, with its three fans (featuring 47 blades) and five heat pipes, keeps the WS65 8SK cool despite its powerful components.

Sleek Exterior Design

The WS65 8SK features ample connectivity. On the left side, a full-sized RJ45 Ethernet port is adjacent to two USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A ports, which are next to gold-plated headphone and microphone jacks. A Kensington lock by the corner provides security for this high-end system.

The right side features another USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port as well as the WS65 8SK’s several display options (from left to right: Type-C (USB 3.1 Gen2 / DP / Thunderbolt™ 3, Mini DisplayPort, and HDMI). Of course, the three ports allow the user to connect up to three additional screens using MSI’s Matrix Display technology.

The WS65 8SK’s keyboard features a fingerprint sensor which enables easy log-in using Windows Hello. The spacious chiclet-style keyboard, backlit in white, provides a pleasant typing experience.

Optimize Performance with Dragon Center

MSI’s Dragon Center is pre-installed in MSI systems and allows convenient monitoring and configuration:

The “System Monitoring” page displays device information such as CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD usage, current power plan and internet speeds, as well as fan speeds.

The “System Tuner” page allows selection of a cooling mode, a fan speed, a DPI percentage, and an RGB mode.
There is also a “Mobile Center” page that allows control of the computer through a mobile device. The application “MSI Dragon Dashboard” has to be installed on the mobile device.

High-End Components for Professionals

The WS65 8SK features the Intel Core i9-8950HK processor along with 64GB DDR4-2666 RAM. The i9-8950HK is a 64-bit hexa-core high-end performance x86 microprocessor introduced in Q2’2018. Based on the Coffee Lake microarchitecture, the i9-8950HK operates at 2.9 GHz with a thermal design power (TDP) of 45 W and a turbo boost of 4.8 GHz.

The WS65 8SK features the P3200 workstation GPU (6GB DDR5). Quadro graphics cards prioritize accuracy and quality, unlike GeForce cards, which prioritize speed.

Run at Blazing Speeds

As Intel’s 8th generation is the first to introduce a mobile version of the i9, we shall compare the i9-8950HK to last generation’s popular high-end processor, i7-7700HQ. First are Cinebench results, with the i9-8950HK’s screenshot following that of the i7-7700HQ.

As expected, the i7-7700HQ couldn’t even come close.

Next, we converted a video file using Premiere Pro. The settings on the two systems were identical. To differentiate between the two, Premiere was installed on the i7-7700HQ system in Simplified Chinese.

Estimated time remaining (5 minutes, 8 seconds)

In the conversion test, the WS65 8SK completed the conversion in 35 seconds.  The i7 system’s time of 5 minutes, 8 seconds is 8.8 times longer.

Finally, the Unigine Superposition benchmark was run twice on both systems, once with DirectX and once with OpenGL. Again, the WS65 8SK far outclassed the older system. The first two screenshots were the results of the older system; the third and fourth are the results of the WS65 8SK:

In the DirectX benchmark, the WS65 8SK outscored the i7 system 6436 to 2946, a multiplier of 2.18.
In the OpenGL benchmark, the WS658SK outscored the I7 system 5536 to 2697, a multiplier of 2.05.

i7-7700HQ system

WS65 8SK

Difference

CineBench

2.31x

Premiere Pro

308 seconds

35 seconds

8.8x

Superposition (DirectX)

2.18x

Superposition (OpenGL)

2.05x

Powerful Cooling In a Svelte Package

With such superb performance in such a compact chassis, how does the WS65 8SK stay cool when running demanding tasks? Let us take an internal look at its components.

As we can see, the WS65 8SK has four heat pipes, allowing efficient heat dispersal even when the system is under heavy load. Two are dedicated to the CPU while the other two are for the GPU, assuring that cooling is sufficient for both. On the other hand, here is the design of the HP ZBook 15 G5:

The HP ZBook 17 G5 has only two heat pipes. Although the laptop is an inch (33mm) in thickness, nearly double that of the WS65 8SK (17.9mm), the ZBook 17 G5’s cooling system is less optimized.

Conclusion: Desktop Workstation Power on the Go

Armed with the Intel Core i9-8950HK, the powerful P3200 workstation GPU, and with a thickness of only 17.9mm, the MSI WS65 8SK is truly a combination of performance, portability, and poise. Thanks to its sophisticated cooling system, it is able to maintain low temperatures even when challenged. The WS65 8SK is the ideal solution for the professional who wishes to tick all the boxes.

oktnight

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Re: The MSI WS65 8SK: Powerful, Portable, and Poised
« Reply #1 on: 22-January-19, 23:44:48 »

It's the first time to see intel core i9 to be featured on mobile workstation, seems the calculation power is way too awesome!
==============================
day dreamer - night worker
born from classic music - keen to pop and creative rhythm
play games in life - life is filled with kinds of games
And, that\'s who I am

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 25-January-19, 02:09:08 »

It's a mobile workstation that's thinner than an average consumer laptop :lol_anim:

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 28-January-19, 00:08:06 »

The WS65 is awesome, it's not only slimmer and smaller than WS63, but even more powerful, and really long battery life!

Work in Computer Industry
GS73VR GTX1060 as working laptop
GT75VR GTX1080 as home entertainment
PS4 to play NBA2K, MLB The Show & NFS racing games with 27" DELL 4K Display
Love to play FPS games, racing games and NBA/MLB games
Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard and CORSAIR M65 FPS mouse
Dynaudio MC15 sound system in living room
Edifier C3 2.1 channel sound system in computer room

theblend118

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 13-February-19, 19:12:33 »

Dang this looks sleek. How much is it?

gk2377

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #5 on: 19-February-19, 03:31:44 »

Heard the reviews of same series are good and positive, long battery hour within slim body, also offering awesome performance to handle professional software like 3Ds MAX and Solidworks.

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 04-March-19, 01:46:39 »

Dang this looks sleek. How much is it?
There are a few configurations available (i7/i9, Win10 Home/Pro, optional 144Hs7ms display). Contact your local vendors for pricing. Good luck!

tschuster

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 21-March-19, 11:36:26 »

Originally this model was advertised to have Quadro P4200 compatibility, but at the moment it seems the configurations only support the P3200.  Am I missing something?

peter.smith.ps1069

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 23-March-19, 02:08:19 »

wowwwww!!!
intel core i9 to be feature on work station!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seems the calculation power is way to high
eager to see its launch.
this is very informative.
Thank you for posting this.

icampbe14

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 25-March-19, 18:33:01 »

Do you know if you are allowed to install a second SSD? It appears there is a slot on the mobo for that. I am asking because I do not want to void a warranty and the 512 GB is not enough storage for me!

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR
« Reply #10 on: 01-April-19, 03:37:46 »

I think the benefit of WS65 is able to have 2nd SSD, but I think it's not allowed for end-users to upgrade, you need to send back to repair center to make it.

Work in Computer Industry
GS73VR GTX1060 as working laptop
GT75VR GTX1080 as home entertainment
PS4 to play NBA2K, MLB The Show & NFS racing games with 27" DELL 4K Display
Love to play FPS games, racing games and NBA/MLB games
Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard and CORSAIR M65 FPS mouse
Dynaudio MC15 sound system in living room
Edifier C3 2.1 channel sound system in computer room

sunscreen

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #11 on: 14-June-19, 21:30:41 »

I think the benefit of WS65 is able to have 2nd SSD, but I think it's not allowed for end-users to upgrade, you need to send back to repair center to make it.

That's a pity.  I really enjoy upgrading the base models to the disks that I want or have from other machines.
It is a very impressive workstation and well worth consideration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up