Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help choosing a computer  (Read 1407 times)

apopkyTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
need help choosing a computer
« on: 05-July-17, 16:06:22 »

I am not looking for a gaming computer

I am looking for a computer to use for CAD design

I was thinking of a trident 3 desktop - but how to configure it ??
or
a mobile workstation  WS. WT or WE , but nut sure which one

I need some help

thanks

henry.poppe

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: need help choosing a computer
« Reply #1 on: 06-July-17, 20:07:51 »

Hello Apopky. 

See your in the Army.  Not sure how much of a help I can be.  See my post about video player problems.  But here goes.

Not a gamer either.  Have been doing 3d, cgi, and video for 20 years now.  Started with working for the Army and have continued with a defense contractor.  Here's a couple of things you may want to take into consideration.  What are you going to use it for?  If it's just for word processing etc, you may not need all the muscle.  See that your main focus will be CAD.  If it's for cgi including image editing, 3d modeling, animation, rendering, and video making then the more ponies you have under the hood the better.  In 3d modeling and rendering, it's the CPU that's the key.  Some newer versions of 3d programs can take advantage of GPU threading, but for the most part it's the CPU.  If it's image and video editing then a great graphics card and plenty of RAM will probably work best.   Not sure about the hard drive - typical platters or SSD.  This is my first SSD, and I have yet to put it through its paces.  Bottom line is to take what you think you'll need and multiply by the highest number you can, because in a year, you probably be out shopping for a bigger and badder laptop.  On average I've kept mine for an average of 4 yrs.  My budget manager keeps a very tight rein on expenditures.  Curious about your plans, so I'll be keeping an eye on this post.  As you can probably tell, there are a lot of folks who read, but not too sure if the majority aren't gamers.  Nothing wrong with that guys.  Just a different focus.  Good luck.

Hank

pinilirowell

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 21-November-17, 00:05:54 »

Beware of buying the trident. Apparently MSI released maybe a few batches of factory defective trident units that will not turn on anymore after a few weeks of usage, mine died after a month of use and now they are trying to charge me 227$ for repair an under warranty unit because it's not covered by global/international warranty. You need to check with MSI the serial number of the unit the dealer is going to sell you to see if it's one of the potentially defective units.

digitalme404

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 21-November-17, 03:15:09 »

not sure what content you usually work on.
But since you mentioned you use to own desktops, I assume you're looking for laptops that work as desktop-replacements, i.e. the WT series.

jcioffi88

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 21-November-17, 12:04:33 »

i'm not sure about the trident series for your purposes. i don't do CAD work but I feel like you definitely should be investing into a better cpu than the 7700 (not even the K version) and more than 16 gb of 2133hz ddr4 ram. Even coffee lake cpus have additional cores and threads now. Kaby lake was a bust. I would look into ryzen or threadripper. I hear they are very good and more cost effective for content creation processors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up