Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frequent USB disconnections on MSI X370 SLI Plus during high CPU load.  (Read 5305 times)

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

As the post says, I am experiencing frequent USB disconnections on my MSI X370 SLI Plus during high CPU load.

• Only happens with bottom two USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (regular blue ones, not the light blue ones)
  • Disconnects and quickly reconnects ONLY during high CPU load (running Prime95 for example or when gaming).
  • Happens more frequently if both ports are occupied with devices, although it has happened sporadically with just one of the ports occupied.
  • Upper USB ports work fine. USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports work fine. Front panel usb ports work fine ONLY if the two ports mentioned above on the backpanel don't have any devices connected. If they do have devices connected, front panel will sporadically disconnect.

Anyone know what's going on and have tips to troubleshoot?

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

no bumping but its understandable as its obviously been missed as its been days!

as for your problem if its only certain ports that are cutting out and is because your using ports that are linked into the CPU as Ryzen Chips have 4 USB 3.0 gen 1 ports on it as they are a SOC. it may be your CPU is just freaking out and is loosing communications with the USB controller on the CPU for a split second!

best you can do is try to update your BIOS and see if it helps and if it does not its a CPU issue as them ports will be from the CPU itself!
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 (bios 1.17) AM3
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Cooler: corsair H100 cooler
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

The top 2 of the back USB 3 Gen 1 ports are consistently working. The bottom 2 aren't. How do I know which ones are SoC?

Do you think its a localized heat issue or something? My temps are fine but maybe there's a certain part of the chip that isn't covered well enough by thermal paste and isn't getting picked up by sensors? Is that even possible?

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

ok i looked it up!

the rear 3.1 Gen 1 ports are all from the CPU and the Gen2 ones are off a asmedia chip and the 2 USB 2.0 ports are from the chipset!

so is it the USB 3.1 gen 1 ports or some other ports that are affected?

ASMedia® ASM2142 Chipset
ƒ 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) Type-C port
on the back panel

ƒ1x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) Type-A port
on the back panel

AMD® X370 Chipset
ƒ 4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports available
through the internal USB connectors

ƒ 6x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on
the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal
USB connectors)

AMD® CPU
ƒ
 4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) Type-A ports on the
back panel
Processor:AMD phenom IIx4 955 black edition 3.2GHz processor(Clock speed of 4GHz)
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz ram (2 dual channel kits model: CMP8GX3M2A1600C9) (underclocked at 1333MHz)
GPU: 1: MSI R7870 -2GD5T/OC @ 1155mhz , 2: MSI R7850-Twin Frozer 2GD5/OC @ 925mhz
PSU: Thermaltake tougthpower 1500W (+12v1 20A, +12v2 20A, +12v3 40A, +12v4 40A) (+12v1=20+4 connector, +12v2=CPU power, +12v3=PCI_E connections, +12v4 = molex+sata+PCI_E connectors  )
Extras: 1 x 4 port raid card (model SIL3114) ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card PCI-E X1.

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Okay, so its kind of odd that 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the backpanel are working and the other 2 are not, considering that all 4 are SoC according to what you said.

Should I be trading this in for warranty?

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

if you want to RMA it and get another you are free to do so!

and yes all 4 are from the CPU so it is odd only 2 are malfunctioning!

AMD® CPU
 4x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) Type-A ports on the
back panel                                                                        <--- That is what states that all the 4 on the board on the back panel are from the CPU so all of them there as there is only 4 are from the processor!

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Are you sure there isn't any issue with the board in this situation? Just want to explore all possibilities before I RMA my cpu.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

with what you are saying is happening it could be either of the 2!

could be the CPU is having a issue with the ports
could also be there is a problem with the Motherboard that is causing it

so unless you can rule one out by testing it by either using your CPU in another motherboard that supports its or another CPU in your board its hard to say which one it is!

what is your current BIOS version on your board as it may be worth seeing if its a bug in the BIOS that is making it disconnect?

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

It is version 3.4 release, which is latest from download page for MSI x370 SLI plus.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

ok at this point its a 50/50 to what is bad so you need to decide if you RMA the Motherboard or CPU or both of them! not much more you can try as something is causing it to disconnect and the only other way you can know for sure is to take it to a shop for them to test to see what Part has failed to cause the issue!

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Could it be a power supply issue? If not, I'll probably RMA CPU first, as the problem only happens when CPU usage is high.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

i doubt its a PSU issue as you would not be just getting drops on the USB ports as you would be getting BSOD's and Crashes so i highly doubt its the PSU and even if it was a +5v issue on your PSU only 2 ports being affected wouldn't happen as all your USB ports would be affected not just 2!

so yes its either the CPU or Motherboard!

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

I just realized that you mentioned the internal USB connections were powered by the chipset, not the CPU. If you notice in my original post, I mention that my front panel USB ports also exhibited disconnection issues if the lower two backpanel ports had a device connected. This means devices connected to the chipset USB are also disconnecting when there are devices connected to the CPU USB. Wouldn't this mean it is the board?

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

i would suspect the board if more ports are failing to work! there is probably a issue its side so go and RMA the motherboard!

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Wow this is crazy. I got a brand new X370 SLI Plus Mobo and also a new 1800x and they still exhibit the problem. I've also swapped out the PSU and the problem still occurs. The issue also happens in both Linux and Windows, so it's not a power saving issue I don't think. I don't know what's going on at this point. Could it be a grounding issue with the case. A problem with the ram? I am at my wit's end.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
  • Yes, that is a picture of me as the Bud Knight.

Wow this is crazy. I got a brand new X370 SLI Plus Mobo and also a new 1800x and they still exhibit the problem. I've also swapped out the PSU and the problem still occurs. The issue also happens in both Linux and Windows, so it's not a power saving issue I don't think. I don't know what's going on at this point. Could it be a grounding issue with the case. A problem with the ram? I am at my wit's end.

Well, do you have the front panel USB connections for the case plugged in? What if you remove them, what happens then?
What if you put the whole motherboard on a wooden/plastic table (no case), and then try it. Does it still have issues?

What all are the devices you're plugging in? Any port multipliers or anything else?

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

So I finally had some time to lift my entire mobo out of the case. I had a very minimal system, just enough to boot:
  • Connected the two motherboard power cables
  • GPU
  • Memory
  • Power switch cable
  • System SATA drive
  • System fan
  • Two USB 3 devices to test out the problem ports
  • Mouse and keyboard

It was still happening!! This is driving me up the wall. I have already swapped the:
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Memory
  • Power supply

I am starting to think its a problem with the design of the board or Ryzen. The only part I didn't swap out is the GPU, but it shouldn't have an effect on the USB ports, right?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator

As dumb as it might sound, have you tried updating the BIOS at all?

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Yes, Updated to the latest release BIOS 3.4. Also tried the newest beta BIOS 3.51. Still the same issue.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator

Then I would RMA the board. You've done pretty much everything you can to resolve the issue.
See : >>How to contact MSI.<<

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

I mentioned in one of my previous post that I already tried buying a new board from Amazon. I tested it and it had the exact same issue. What are the chances that two boards would show the exact same issue? I don't know if RMAing the board would help in this case and I can't afford downtime.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator

Well, I'm really not sure what to say. If you've swapped the board, then it sounds like one of the devices you're using is causing the problem then.

badboy2k

• Global Moderator

yes if 2 boards are exhibiting the same problem then another part is at fault!

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

yes if 2 boards are exhibiting the same problem then another part is at fault!

But I've already tried replacing all the parts in the PC. I've even lifted the mobo out of the case and minimized needed devices to a barebones system. No front panel hubs connected to the mobo at all. Literally the only part I haven't tried swapping out is the GPU and system drive, which I don't have a spare ones on hand, and I doubt is the issue, since the problem happens when there's high CPU load. 

My second thought is that maybe this is due to memory or memory timings, but I am pretty sure this happened with my other Corsair memory kit as well.

I even thought maybe it was my case fan hub, so I even removed that from CPU_FAN1 and connected the CPU fan directly to it. Nothing works!

darkhawk

• Global Moderator

OK. What about resetting to defaults in the BIOS, no overclock or change in the memory frequency. Leave it set to the defaults.
Does it still happen then?

What USB devices are connected yet? What ports are they connected to?

Tried a different GPU? Doesn't matter which one, as long as it's not the one you've been using.

Keyboard? Mouse?

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Just tried resetting BIOS with no OC on both CPU and memory. Still occurs.

When I was testing with the mobo lifted out, I had the following connected via USB:

1. Mouse and keyboard on the two USB 2.0 slots
2. 4 port USB 3.0 hub/ethernet adapter on one of the bottom back panel USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports.
3. USB 3.0 SD card reader on the other bottom back panel USB 3.1 Gen 1 port.

After connecting those devices, I ran something with high CPU load (Prime95). The USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports that were in use kept disconnecting. I even tried using a different mouse/keyboard combination. I also tried connecting just my Google Pixel phone to the USB 3.1 Gen 1 port and it kept flickering between Charging and not charging.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator

My understanding now after speaking with MSI, is that they are aware of the issue and have confirmed that they are working on it.
At this time, we don't know if it is related to the CPU or the motherboard.
At this time, we don't have a timeline of when to expect something to try either. 

I'll update when we have further information relating to this.

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Thanks for talking with MSI! I am glad they're aware of it and I am hoping it will be a simple BIOS update or something like that.

Will be down to try any beta BIOSes to help test.

tk986

• PRIVATE E-2

Glad to learn I am not the only one having this issue. On my End the USB ports which are connected to backup USB Drives did work for about 3 weeks then (maybe coincidence?) I did install the Windows 1703 update (Using Win10 x64 pro) which updated drivers for the USB root hub (Device Manager says "device migrated, configured (usbhub3.inf) and started" - obviously the there is an updated micrisoft driver (USB-Root_Hub (USB 3.0) dated July 6th 2017 version 10.0.15063.483) for the USB hub than came with the windows update - any change this is the root cause? And why does it say USB3.0 when it should be USB 3.1 ??

Since the updae I am also getting frequent disconnects which kills my backup setup.

I am using latest BIOS for my MSI X370 SLI Plus
Regards

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

I think it's a issue that's not isolated to windows. I am running Linux as well in dualboot mode and the usb malfunctions there as well. Which ports are disconnecting for you?

tk986

• PRIVATE E-2

The top 2 of the back USB 3 Gen 1 ports are consistently working. The bottom 2 aren't.

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Sounds exactly like my problem. What about front panel usb ports?

tk986

• PRIVATE E-2

Front Panel Ports for reliably for USB3.0 speed, no issues. They are connected via JUSB3 at the mainboard. JUSB4 offers 3.1-Gen2 speed but has been reported to not work reliably.

urbenlegendTopic starter

• SERGEANT

Interesting, I am connected to JUSB3 and it's giving me intermittent issues during gaming workloads. It is however much more rare than the bottom 2 back panel Gen1 ports.

Really glad I am not the only one experiencing this issue as well. Hope MSI comes out with a fix soon.

drkCrix

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Just chiming in that I am seeing this issue as well on the x370 Carbon
Pages: [1]   Go Up