Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with MSI GeForce 4 MX 440 : the solution (but not complete)  (Read 1247 times)

eric67

Dear All,

As I already posted in my previous thread : "Are MSI GF4 MX 440 or 460 working properly?", I was facing a problem with my GF4 MX 440T from MSI on the AGP port of my ASUS P4S333 running XP Pro.
Well in summary after playing 3D games for 5-20 minutes, the display will shift from 100pfs to 1fpm, in other word, the computer will hang and the display freezes , typically like when the GPU gets too hot and stop working, but the fan seemed working. I was blaming MSI...but I went here and to some other forum...well I also decided to open once again the box which contains my computer....
Well I have noticed something funny, the fan of the GF4 was at the boot turning really fast, (probably max speed) for some time before going down. I have a 300W psu, so I was thinking it was plenty of power...mistake I have forgotten that in addition to my HD, DVD player, CD-RW, USB Sidewinder wheel and optical mouse, ....my ADSL modem was powered directly from the USB....
So I have unplugged both the USB modem and the USB wheel, reboot my computer after installing the nVIDIA driver 28.32 (MWHC, not the one found on MSI install CD since it is NOT XP compatible, gives rund32.dll error when attempting to habve MSI extra information, and MSI clock from the display properties window....so this the NOT complete solution, I can not make my TV output working...). Started immediately Medal of Honor, and enjoyed that game with all graphics option tp the max for morethan 3 hours......without a crash. ...in addition since the box was opened I immediately notice that the fan was turning much faster than I experienced before when both USB devices were connected...
So because I was low in power when the GPU was starting to heat and that the fan should have could down, it could not increasse its rotating speed , so then the nVIDIA safety system present in the GPU was simply stopping the GPU to avoid damaga due to overheating...

so far at the moment I am going to evaluate carefully all the new detonator drivers from nVIDIA, wait that MSI decide to release a MSI VGA driver which will allow me to overclock or check the frequency of my GF4 card in the display properties windows, and enjoy the 3D games....
Well, of course I going to buy a USB Hub+power, and/or a bigger psu(400W), for sure my next computer will have a big psu, I will carefully check that point (maybe that's why new powerMac from Apple have 600W psu, since they can receive 4HD, + 2 optical drives..., in addition to 4 USB and 2 firwires, ...)

Well, I hope this can help someone, keep commenting, that 's the only way we can help each other...

Regards

Eric

eric67

foolow up
« Reply #1 on: 01-October-02, 17:42:15 »

Dear All,

A short follow up to mentione that USB Hub with external power did not so far solve the problem; so my USB ADSL modem remains the problem by draining too much power from my PSU preventing a proper cooling of my GPU. Otherwise, when I have it unplugged my MSI GF4MX440 is working fine.... still I will give it to my children, it is good enough for their education software, but start to be not fast enough to my tast, thinking of GF4 Ti4200 for christams.....
Regards

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up