Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand new GP62MVR 7RFX. Temps seem high.  (Read 1938 times)

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Brand new GP62MVR 7RFX. Temps seem high.
« on: 30-November-17, 03:59:07 »

Just opened up a brand new GP62MVR 7RFX. i7 7700HQ with 1060 6GB. Spec wise, it's a beast. However, I have some concerns. The temp is exactly 50 Celsius at idle. Now that is pretty high from what I am used to and I wanted to ask if this is normal. Absolutely zero background processes. I also tested some low spec games like Starcraft Remastered and Hollow Knight. Both hit 80 celsius...wow. How can this be? The CPU wasn't even near 50% usage. Is my model just defective or is this the norm?

Lastly, do I need to update the bios and firmware? Is it okay to be safe and just update everything even if I already have the latest versions?

Thank you and long live MSI.

edit:
Yeah so my idle is at 55 celsius and when gaming I hit 80 celsius. That's not right. This thing has cooler boost 4 and unless I am supposed to manually turn it on or something, it doesn't seem to be working. Should I just RMA?

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Re: Brand new GP62MVR 7RFX. Temps seem high.
« Reply #1 on: 30-November-17, 09:04:37 »

https://imgur.com/a/o1wz9

my cpu fan comes on at idle @3000RPM and temps are 50 celsius.

salewis555

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 30-November-17, 19:48:18 »

80 is not bad, if you go over 90 I would be concerned and if you hit 95 I would shut it down.

ChaoticOrder

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 30-November-17, 21:12:28 »

I got a similar specked MSI GP62MVR 7RFX, but with 3 GB of GTX 1060 graphics card, yesterday. My idle temps are around 50 C, which is high in my experience coming from Asus G55 from 5 years ago. My initial instinct was to RMA but I think I will stress test a bit as it appears such temps are normal based on above.

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 30-November-17, 22:00:54 »

Thanks guys. @chaotic, I'm testing mine as well by playing Witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p. Keep in touch, I will let you know my results

RaiderGamer

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #5 on: 30-November-17, 23:32:30 »

i just checked dragon gaming center and it says my cpu and gpu are at about 50C. and im not running any video or game. msi apache pro

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 01-December-17, 02:18:58 »

hey hope, thanks for the numbers. Yeah, I'm starting to worry less since people are saying it's normal. I wish MSI would confirm.

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #7 on: 02-December-17, 09:06:43 »

I've been doing more tests and my average temps running intensive games is 80 celsius. Is this a safe temp for gaming? This is playing Witcher 3 on high settings at 1080p. I've asked other Witcher 3 players with similar laptops, and they get about the same. Some even higher.

ChaoticOrder

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 02-December-17, 21:44:24 »

I did some more tests as well and the temps I am getting are around what you got. Prime95 for an hour hit 85C for the CPU, while Furmark for an hour hit 70C for the GPU. I played Witcher 3 for maybe about half an hour and my CPU temp maxed out at 87C, while GPU maxed out at 73C. The laptop gets VERY loud during intensive CPU/GPU usage. Is this normal?

n269sfTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 03-December-17, 00:53:31 »

Man it's good to have others with the same laptop. 

Yo chaotic, my laptop does sound like a helicopter too. It's because I always press the cooler boost button before I play a game. That's over 5000 rpm. I have to use my damn noise canceling bose headphones. But hey if it keeps my Temps in check, you gotta do what you gotta do.

ChaoticOrder

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 04-December-17, 19:34:17 »

I have mine setup with two external monitors, keyboard and mice with the laptop on a side table. I never thus tried the cooler boost option (which I assume is next to the power button). Perhaps after warranty is over, I can re-apply the thermal paste to see if there are any temp difference. I did that to my G55VW (it was a pain btw to take the thing apart) and there was some noticeable difference.

I find that even when not gaming, the CPU fan does rev up now and then. I am used to really quiet environment when not gaming. @n269sf How are you idle temps/noise?
Pages: [1]   Go Up