Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GS65 Stealth - Fan volume  (Read 204 times)

josephdoyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
GS65 Stealth - Fan volume
« on: 26-April-19, 08:20:48 »

Ok i'm a noob regarding MSI gaming laptops and Dragon Center.

When i play a game (Pillars of Eternity), my Fan1 ramps up to max 4400 rpm and basically stays there.
If i stay on the same screen in the game for a few mins the fan calms down, but if i move again or load a new zone it's back up to max.

The fan is loud, i have to crank up the laptop volume to try and hear the game over it.
After playing for an hour i exit game and it's such a relief to have the fan quieten down again.

Dragon Center has settings: the fan is set to Auto.
Should i be adjusting these and manually turn down the rpms?

RaiderGamer

• MAJOR
Re: GS65 Stealth - Fan volume
« Reply #1 on: 26-April-19, 11:44:03 »

u can redo thermal paste

u can prop the back of the laptop up for better cooling

you can get a quieter usb fan that might help

you can uninstall some heavy apps that use too much resources

you can wear headphones

josephdoyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 26-April-19, 12:49:55 »

Hi

I only just received the laptop.
Have no other programs open when playing, besides what's running the background - but this is probably mostly MSI and Windows stuff.

Is it normal to have to adjust fan speed?
Is that what people do with these laptops?

msm_muddassir

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 28-April-19, 22:20:38 »

It is a thin gaming laptop you have got there, temperatures do go up fast the moment performance is required. Since these fans are capable of running real fast (and loud!) to get the most performance possible out of the hardware that is in there, there are actually situations where a more mild ramp is preferred. I actually enjoy tinkering and optimising, but I understand it is not everyone.

Dragon Center has a nice way of creating profiles for performance and allows custom fan speed curves, you can try to see if you can tweak the curves without adding too much heat to the equation. Monitor your temperatures in e.g. OpenHardwareMonitor and decide what makes you most comfortable in terms of fan speed and temperature trade-off. Know that this will always be a curve and tinkering might actually increase thermal throttling, without even reaching any beneficial sound improvements.

Thermal paste applications might not always be most optimal, since manufacturers generally use simple long lasting stuff and do not always apply it in the best way possible (had some incredibly bulky applications on previous notebook brands). Make sure you are comfortable doing a repaste and read in about possible loss of warranty. In general, the fanspeed to heat tradeoff becomes most viable after a CPU/GPU repaste like RaiderGamer suggested, since there is instantly more cooling overhead. Undervolting a CPU (use a decent tutorial, combined with proper stress testing) might also help to introduce a bit cooling overhead, but is a bit dependent on how far you can push your particular chip.

To provide you of an example: I use the ECO shift, Custom Fan profile (with 0rpm = silent, up to 50 degrees celcius) for work related stuff. Combined with optimized battery settings and a Throttlestop CPU undervolt (non-permanent! as a fail safe!), my GL72 can run powerefficient and on passive cooling. It eats all common office apps and many open tabs in firefox (incl youtube) at no noticible performance drop and without going over 50degrees celcius. For gaming however, I generally use a headset in combination with the very loud power booster on. On a high performance setting, it may run 4000rpm (x2) without power booster on, but if it is already that loud, I might as well make it slightly louder.

josephdoyleTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 30-April-19, 09:53:45 »

Wow sounds involved msm_muddassir.
Is there an export / import option for those settings of yours?

pennknig

• LIEUTENANT COLONEL
« Reply #5 on: 30-April-19, 10:00:59 »

Ok i'm a noob regarding MSI gaming laptops and Dragon Center.

When i play a game (Pillars of Eternity), my Fan1 ramps up to max 4400 rpm and basically stays there.
If i stay on the same screen in the game for a few mins the fan calms down, but if i move again or load a new zone it's back up to max.

The fan is loud, i have to crank up the laptop volume to try and hear the game over it.
After playing for an hour i exit game and it's such a relief to have the fan quieten down again.

Dragon Center has settings: the fan is set to Auto.
Should i be adjusting these and manually turn down the rpms?
DC in Auto is not good for gaming, you should be in Advanced and change the fans speed ramp.
Find out which fan is hitting high RPM's, CPU or GPU, adjust accordingly.
Turbo setting in DC will kick everything up and create lots of heat.
If using cooler Boost, DC will revert back to Auto, you will have to go back in and manually change the setting back to Advanced.

shaunmw

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 11-May-19, 05:48:31 »

MSI's new EC firmware sets the CPU min fan speed to 45% - which is about 2600rom which is really annoying when laptop is idling or you are just doing light office work.

I undervolted my GS75 to -140 and did a LM repaste and my temps never go over 70, but the fans do ramp up to 4500 -5500 odd during gaming to keep temps to 70 degrees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up