Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Random power-off and wont turn on. (GT72S 6QE dominator pro G)  (Read 17090 times)

alimsatim21

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: Random power-off and wont turn on. (GT72S 6QE dominator pro G)
« Reply #50 on: 20-February-18, 00:59:56 »

I am using the GT72S 6qe Dominator Pro g when I am updating the BIOS but the computer is not turned off. where can i find the bios drivers now. I did not try to download it on my own site.

I need bios drivers

itsxzy

• CORPORAL
« Reply #51 on: 21-February-18, 06:36:31 »

The workshop has ordered for the part delivery from one of it's local suppliers which has tight connections with the Chinese market.

However, ordering the part, even on your own, from Alibaba (its unlikely that you will find 1 on ebay) will work as well.

I'd suggest you to bring your laptop to a decent workshop which would actually check the condition of your machine's IC (diagnosing is usually free and wont take much time anyhow), chances are (if you are lucky) that they may have the spare part available on the spot. If not - then there are 2 options: they themselves will enquire their local suppliers for the availability of the part, or alternatively they will give you S/N or model #/name for you to try to get it from online vendors.

Not to mention that even though your case is, apparently, identical to mine - there is always a possibility of a totally different cause of those shutdowns, even something wild that you'd never think of (mb you've got a shorting DC jack ? just an example).

But really, I honestly think it's still the IC since we all have got identical laptops in this thread.

Thanks for the reply. It totally is allocated to the power use of the laptop. I have been running the "comfort mode" now when I've been playing and haven't crashed anymore. Comfort mode = less power usage = lower fps = less watts needed. I asked a MSI retailer and just only fixing the laptop is 120€ (not incl. the part price). Also I already got my motherboard changed a year ago but had warranty left back then...

powerbits.comp

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #52 on: 22-February-18, 04:26:41 »

Well, the problem has finally been solved !

Took longer than i actually expected but at least I've got my PC back in one piece and it's working alright, random shutdowns were eliminated.

The actual problem was the IC unit on the motherboard. Apparently power consumption of the laptop was way too high for the thing to last for more than a couple of years and it has started to burn.

Now, since IC was replaced - no other issues were detected with the machine apart from higher CPU/GPU temperatures in both idle and under-load states, yet still in acceptable ranges (mid 30s for both in idle, up to 80 during intensive gaming under turbo cooling). But temp increase must be related to the fact that the workshop has replaced thermal paste for both CPU & GPU and, you know, since they didnt charge me for it it must've been really crappy paste. Gonna buy some decent one today to fix their "fixing" :)

Anyhow, the major problem has been eliminated, hurray !

In regards to the job itself - not every workshop will take responsibility of changing the IC since it requires professionalism and relevant experience from the side of a technician. Majority of workshops will just not take the risks of burning your machine due to comparative incompetency of their personnel. If, however, you will manage to find a workshop or an individual professional who will be ready to take the job - be ready to give it some time since most likely they wont have spare parts available and will therefore have to order from China or the like.

The job itself, along with the cost of the spare part, costed me roughly 250$. Well, not exactly cheap yet still cheaper than buying a whole new motherboard (850$ as per the official MSI service).

Hi , can you be more specific, wat unit is needed?
IC means integrated circuit, wich can be anything.
Wat components where replaced exactly?

igorek00

• CORPORAL
« Reply #53 on: 25-February-18, 02:53:26 »

Hi , can you be more specific, wat unit is needed?
IC means integrated circuit, wich can be anything.
Wat components where replaced exactly?
 Sorry, thought it was understandable from the context itself.

Power IC, thats the thingy which had to be replaced. I believe there is only 1 of those on the motherboard.

Just the aforementioned was replaced, no other alterations/replacements were done (well, some crappy repasting...)

Hope it helps.

igorek00

• CORPORAL
« Reply #54 on: 25-February-18, 03:01:02 »

Thanks for the reply. It totally is allocated to the power use of the laptop. I have been running the "comfort mode" now when I've been playing and haven't crashed anymore. Comfort mode = less power usage = lower fps = less watts needed. I asked a MSI retailer and just only fixing the laptop is 120€ (not incl. the part price). Also I already got my motherboard changed a year ago but had warranty left back then...

Unlucky about motherboard :(

Yet, shouldn't there still be warranty for motherboard only ?

About symptoms of your PC - yeah, seems like its IC indeed.

120 euros for labor only - that quite alright I'd say, the part shouldnt cost more than another 100 (not sure tho). If the former is true - you will pretty much end up with ~ same cost which I had to pay. But still, it doesnt hurt to try to give 5-10 calls to workshops in your town to check for labor & part's price/availability, 15 min of personal time may save you 50-70$ I think :) Well, if you will find 1 ofc...

powerbits.comp

• PRIVATE E-2

Power IC, thats the thingy which had to be replaced. I believe there is only 1 of those on the motherboard.

Just the aforementioned was replaced, no other alterations/replacements were done (well, some crappy repasting...)

Hope it helps.

I suppose you mean these square chips, cause these smelled burned on my mobo.
https://www.google.be/search?q=Power+IC&rlz=1C1GCEB_enBE781BE781&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=06PLOFD0zYyE4M%253A%252CGIHKpIwHGbRGlM%252C_&usg=__0XUM3R5q6IAVq5QmRdx9-y5TX80%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji6J2tndfZAhXHshQKHRFCBx4Q9QEILjAC#imgrc=_

Wich is very difficult to solder...

So having my laptop for more then 3 years, i ordered a new motherboard for 350 dollars. Such a shame they fix the cpu on the mobo..would have been allot cheaper.

itsxzy

• CORPORAL

For each and everyone, I sent my GT72S to service last week. My laptop shut down every time I played or did a GPU stress test. Later on it started to shut down on desktop use too. (however CPU stress tests didn't do anything as other people have already confirmed). What i've seen now from the service page is that they have ordered a new part (no specification what part at the moment) for the laptop. I will update when the service is ready so everyone will know what they have replaced.

The laptop is in service on a MSI approved workshop. (not on a general workshop)

miguelsbastida

• PRIVATE E-2

This is all very strange. It ALSO happened to me just a month and half after the battery warranty had expired.
I remember it was working perfectly and then I clicked a folder and the battery died completely. After almost a year of not working properly, i had errors in my computer that caused an automated system repair, and the battery started working again for a couple of weeks until another update came through and then It didn't work anymore. Either this is too much of a coincidence or this is clearly planned obsolescence.
very dissapointing.

itsxzy

• CORPORAL

Reporting back from the service. I physically haven't got my laptop back yet but I can see the repair is complete from the workshop web page. They apparently replaced my GPU and thermal pastes. To be honest I am a bit worried because my laptop was also losing power and they haven't done anything to that. I will get my laptop mailed in few days back to me and hopefully it will be fully working. Otherwise I have to send it off to repair again.

Conclusion: Laptop lost power and shut down when playing games or on GPU stress test.

--> Faulty GPU, replaced. Will report back if it fixed the whole thing.

Sirubi42

• PRIVATE E-2

Reporting back from the service. I physically haven't got my laptop back yet but I can see the repair is complete from the workshop web page. They apparently replaced my GPU and thermal pastes. To be honest I am a bit worried because my laptop was also losing power and they haven't done anything to that. I will get my laptop mailed in few days back to me and hopefully it will be fully working. Otherwise I have to send it off to repair again.

Conclusion: Laptop lost power and shut down when playing games or on GPU stress test.

--> Faulty GPU, replaced. Will report back if it fixed the whole thing.

Thanks for the update.

I think my laptop may be going through the same thing. I had been playing Overwatch like normal when my laptop suddenly shut off without any warning. I don't think it's a heat related issue because I usually have the fans on while playing and I've had the random shutdown happen both after a short period of time (~30 minutes) and long periods of time (2hr+ sessions) before it happens. Recently I also noticed that the power brick would stop charging the laptop while gaming and would only resume charging if I unplugged the power brick and plugged it back in. What's weird is when not gaming the laptop seems to be completely fine. The power brick only stops charging during gaming and the laptop has not shut down at any other time. 
It does strike me as odd that so many people would have issues with the same product that are so similar to each other within such a small period of time. 

Keep us posted!

itsxzy

• CORPORAL

Thanks for the update.

I think my laptop may be going through the same thing. I had been playing Overwatch like normal when my laptop suddenly shut off without any warning. I don't think it's a heat related issue because I usually have the fans on while playing and I've had the random shutdown happen both after a short period of time (~30 minutes) and long periods of time (2hr+ sessions) before it happens. Recently I also noticed that the power brick would stop charging the laptop while gaming and would only resume charging if I unplugged the power brick and plugged it back in. What's weird is when not gaming the laptop seems to be completely fine. The power brick only stops charging during gaming and the laptop has not shut down at any other time.
It does strike me as odd that so many people would have issues with the same product that are so similar to each other within such a small period of time.

Keep us posted!

Back at you now on the case. I have been using the laptop for almost a week now. Gaming is normal also I noticed that when they replaced GPU and CPU thermal pastes my total cooling temperatures have dropped significantly. (While playing CPU and GPU stay at 70-MAX 90). Be careful with your temps! Underclocking CPU by 50-100 mV will reduce temps by 10-20 C and still give you almost the same performance! Also it's very easy and safe to do. (Check Google or YouTube)
Also the problem connecting to my external monitor has been fixed. (I had problems connecting to my BenQ although I had cable connected like always)

Also I had screen tearing occasionally similar to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2390556/monitor-crazy-colors-screen-tearing.html This effect still continued on desktop use after I had my laptop repaired. Turned out that it was only cause of a failing / faulty Display Port cable. I tried a new one and it has worked perfectly.

The odd shut downs I had while playing / screen turning off / power brick losing power were all caused by faulty GPU. Also be aware that my problem might be similar to yours but the cause might be different. Last time (1 year ago) I had my laptop repaired it had faulty MOBO. The problems I had before the first repair were: occasional lose of power and turning to battery power and power brick turning off totally. Just before I sent my laptop to repair it stopped taking power altogether. It worked fine with battery power though.

I hope this helps you guys to know whats up. This is the best information I can give you. My MSI-workshop never repairs the laptops, they purchase the new parts and just replace (better for me of course, because getting a brand new MOBO or GPU is win-win!)

Good luck, I might be here again sooner than I know. I probably should try to sell my laptop before it breaks again 3rd time.

baohuynguyen

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I have the same/a similar problem, with the GS63VR 6RF however. I posted a same post here and didn't see yours, I also posted on some subreddits and quite some people suggested that it might be a defect in the motherboard. 1 person even suggested that the component which is routing the power to/in your system might be burned out/defect. Or the total runtime of your system might be close (using power off of the wall)

mythos_tbk

• SERGEANT

Greetings everyone i have solved my problem so i will provide an update.
First of all, MSI service is worthless (in my country at least). I took it there for a proper examination as i lack the spare parts to make proper hardware tests and guess what, they do too for products out of warranty...
I have studied computer science and i have worked on an electronics workshop for a while so i have some knowledge in both software and hardware.
I had come to a conclusion that the issue concerns three parts, GPU - MoBo - PSU (Power Brick and/or Battery due to the Hybrid feature). So after i had done everything (unsuccessfully) that is possible to find the exact problem without making tests with spare parts, i decided to take it to the authorized service center in hope that using their spare parts they can tell me exactly where the problem lies. I was leaning towards just the GPU but since it is out of warranty i didn't want to risk buying a new GPU to later find out that the MoBo's BUS has been damaged... or that my Power brick is malfunctioning and it fried the GPU...

Anyway, the guys there told me they do not have spare parts either but they can make some special tests and talk directly to MSI's central technicians (unlike the ones i talk when i address a matter through the support page) so they can find out what is wrong exactly and within 3 days!.. i said ok... this is what i have done and found so far, if you think you can do better without spare parts then please do.
They held the laptop for almost 3 weeks and the results where:
- GPU is definitely damaged
- Battery is ok, just normal ware
- Power Brick showed irregular measurements from time to time (both over and under) but due to the fact that there was no specific pattern on when it happened they couldn't tell me something more about it, it might have been the source of the problem but it's not for sure. They recommended to buy a new one.
- They couldn't tell me anything about the MoBo since they didn't have a working GPU to test it and check the BUS... they said that it should be about 10% affected... (?!)

So back to where i started... the only thing for sure was that the battery was ok. Of course since they couldn't say anything for sure, or fix it (they couldn't even order a new GPU for me to buy as MSI has stopped support for the GTX980m) i didn't pay anything.
After talking to some more electronic technicians i concluded more on my GPU being damaged due to a cold joint in the chip from the constant sport mode and high performance enabled (and the high summer environmental humidity and temperatures in my country) so i decided to take a chance and buy a used GTX980m 8Gb (i had the 4GB) from Ebay and order an new Power Brick from an online store as i found it almost half the price MSI was selling (120 euros).

The Power Brick was a failure but i got my money back from Paypal :) I got tired of waiting to buy a new one and proceeded to test the new GPU with the old Power Brick.
It worked. So far i have no problems. I select the Sport Mode and High Performance only when i want to play a game and have it on Green mode for anything else.
I strongly suspect that if i do a reballing on the damaged GPU it will work too.

A got an Easter Egg too :) my Model is the MS-1781 (GT72 2QE Dominator Pro), i does not support G-Sync. The GPU i bought (GTX980m 8GB with G-Sync) was from an GT72 6QE Dominator Pro G. Now my laptop's display has the G-Sync feature enabled :P

Hutbolzen

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

The Problem is not solved with Reballing.
One of the Transistors cause a Shortcut,that`s the Reason why the Laptop shut down randomly.
May  You can see the damaged Transistor with a magnifying Glass.

mantgirdask

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello, maybe you cant tell me which transistor it was? Or send me some pictures? Because now I have two two laptops with this problem:)

jeffny01

• PRIVATE E-2

This same exact problem started for me last month. LED on the brick shuts off, monitor gets dim like it's going into low power mode, then the laptop shuts off. Always happens while playing Grim Dawn.

Hutbolzen

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

The last in the Row under the CPU.
My GT72S Board is repaired with this Transistor and runs smooth with 4,1GHz.

astefanello

• PRIVATE E-2

I had this problem two times. First it was solved by changing motherboard, but after almost a year it came back. But i think, that solution to this random shutdown problem is to lower turboboost power max and turboboost short power max to 80W. It can be done in Intel XTU or in bios. For some reason default power is set to 200W.
I did it some time ago, and there were no shutdowns at all, even at synthetic 100% load.
Hello,

i've tried to do this modification and yesterday no sudden shutdown . I've also put , via Dragon Application, in Comfort Mode (for 2 years every days the option was always in Sport Mode) .

I hope this will resolve or at least mitigate the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.
A.

astefanello

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello,

i've tried to do this modification and yesterday no sudden shutdown . I've also put , via Dragon Application, in Comfort Mode (for 2 years every days the option was always in Sport Mode) .

A.
So, after the 80W limit and two Gaming night without problem ( and it seems no substantial FPS difference between Sport Mode (disabled from 2 days) and COMFORT MODE (enabled 2 days ago)  ) i hope this problem will not appends again , i'll keep you in touch .

KingKornate

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

So, I think I might have found a fix?  And this might not apply to anyone else, but I can run games again so far.

I went ahead, and put my Dragon Application to Balanced Performance (I don't think this is a factor, but it's what I have), and then inn the MSI Afterburner, I've realized there's a setting to force constant voltage to the GPU.  I also unchecked Unlock Voltage Control, just to see.  But yeah, the constant voltage seems to help?  Anyway, I'll update if I find this is just the laptop being funky, and it's just delaying the crashing :p

KingKornate

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Nevermind, my fix just makes it so the computer stay on when the video card dies.  So it's not really a fix after all :/

beingvague

• PRIVATE E-2

I'm having the same issue with you guys.
Located at United States. My model is GT72 2QD Dominator.(Chinese Version)

This issue happened from 2017 (bought it on Aug 2015), I thought it might be a problem on power system either on Power Brick or battery, so I ordered a brand new Delta Power Brick and an entire new battery replacement from Amazon.

After I replaced the new battery replacement, the same issue still happened with the new Delta Power Brick. Luckily I got refunded on returning the power brick. I kept the new battery since I had already installed it. Meanwhile, I also bought a new m.2 SSD, set it to the main disk. The random shut down kept happening.

It was the last half of 2017 and I left my laptop there. Come on, I paid nearly 2k dollars for having ultimate fun on a laptop but not becoming an expert on fixing laptop. Anyway I have read a lot during my problem solving.

Till today, I find this post. I decide to share my bad experience with this laptop. It was really fantastic with GT72 at the beginning. But I'm really annoyed by random shut down, especially on the half point of a game play.

Anyway, from this post, I find no effective solution with a low cost.

Obviously it's MSI's bad design makes this issue a global issue with laptop users all over the world. It's my worst experience ever with a laptop brand.

antremark

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #72 on: 08-August-18, 10:30:46 »

Had the same issue, laptop went under warranty for RMA but is coming back without any replacement of hardware. Guess is going to happen the same. My model is GS63VR 7RF.
Anybody found a solution??? I dont like to throw this laptop away, i spend a lot of money i think for it

dimaxp

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #73 on: 02-September-18, 15:27:10 »

GT72S 6QE. The same problem as described by others. Computer shuts down under heavy games, works ok in text editing mode or simple games. It is 2 months when warranty passed. Do I have any chance for resolving this issue in official service or should I start to search for pro's  who can either solder my MB or ruin it finally.
Any official reaction to this global problem? 
p.s reducing voltage to 80 didnt help.

profilaktiskas

• SERGEANT
« Reply #74 on: 03-September-18, 03:21:52 »

GT72S 6QE. The same problem as described by others. Computer shuts down under heavy games, works ok in text editing mode or simple games. It is 2 months when warranty passed. Do I have any chance for resolving this issue in official service or should I start to search for pro's  who can either solder my MB or ruin it finally.
Any official reaction to this global problem?

Got GT72 6QE, same problem, almost a year now. This problem seems to go out and will back. Had major shutdowns year a ago, then after 3weeks of shutdowns my system went ok for 6 months at least, then, again, after 2-3 weeks of shutdowns my system went OK till couple of days present. It all started again, and I dont know what is causing this, but it is very annoying. Since It can be anything, causing these shutdowns

jeffny01

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #75 on: 12-September-18, 12:21:58 »

So I send my laptop to MSI to see why this happening. They tell me it's the VGA card, and they want over $1,000 for an out of warranty repair. ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I bought it brand new for just over $3,000, and after only two years it's defective. How convenient the problem just happens to start shortly after the warranty expired. 
I can buy the part from eBay and install it myself. What a rip off......

Hell of a way to lose a customer, MSI.

ertishop17

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #76 on: 22-September-18, 14:35:22 »

Holy Moly, i have the exact same issue. I mean really everyone that has this laptop reports the same thing and we are only that part of the users that took the time to research for ourselfs and find this topic. If it was just one device or few of coruse you can blame it on the usage or the customer, but this thread right here is the proof that some thing is not going right.

Last week i noticed my powerbrick shuts down in the middle of gaming, and since yesterday, it shuts down the whole laptop.
extra to that i got issues with the ssd that they are sometimes not recognied and the device boots to bios. (but i guess im the only one wwith that and has nothing to do with the other thing)

I dont know what these companys understand under customer satisfaction but clearly they dont care, i mean if they was at least trying to help i might buy next time another msi product because there was help. but stuff like this makes you hate the brand and not buy nothing again.

when you spend so much money to get a powerfull machine you also invest in it so you dont have to change it in one or two years again, but boy was i wrong, this is just sad.
im also gonna try conntact some local repair shops and post an upgrade if i find a solution to this.

brentj_1990

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #77 on: 28-September-18, 13:04:05 »

I have the exact same problem as OP. still no solutions? i have tried all of the  suggestions here and nothing has worked.

kinguard

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #78 on: 10-October-18, 02:45:48 »

Hi ppl,

My gt72s gave me the same problem as direct shot down under heavy stress, like gaming. Then it died and did not start. It happened after 2.5 years as the varranty just finished.

As a new laptop with this caliber would be very expensive,i searched for solution. I contacted with a good repair service, and they told me that they fixed already 2 same brand laptop for same reason.

I send my laptop and they changed all the power lines at mother board. The power lines of gpu and adaptor line burned. Battery was dead too. So they fixed it and change the battery. My laptop is alive now with some heavy testing. But don't know how many years more I can use it.

As I got a 5 years old asus game laptop with 670 on it which is still working, I can say that msi did not a good job on this brand. My brother got a msi laptop with 580 for 6 years so I know that they can do good computers if they want.

Sadly even most expensive hardware planned to fail after guaranty ended. I don't think it's something unplanned.

Anyway at least there is a solution. Good luck to you.

veliseremet

• CORPORAL
« Reply #79 on: 02-November-18, 02:15:48 »

Hi guys, I have the exact same problem since like 2 months, also GT72S Dominator. When plugged in, after a while under heavy load (e.g. Dark Souls 3, Tomb Raider, Hollow Knight), my PC either goes dim then bright again (noting that the AC Adapter undetected and redetected) and then completely "undetects" (meaning the power brick light is off until I unplug and replug), OR my PC just completely shuts down with an audible *thuck*

I have to to unplug and replug AC-Adapter in order to turn it on again.

Playing stuff like League of Legends works fine, but other stuff like the aforementioned Dark Souls 3 makes my PC crash when plugged in to AC.

veliseremet

• CORPORAL
« Reply #80 on: 02-November-18, 02:21:22 »

Got the same problem yesterday. Also, did some research that I'm willing to share.

The problem started with the battery. I was getting a "15%, plugged in, not charging" popup message on my battery. "Not charging", no matter the battery state.
This was solved by unplugging the charger, removing all the devices in "Battery" section in "Device manager" and restarting the laptop, and then plugging in the charger.
Here I thought that it's all over & fine. I have never been so wrong...

Even if I "force" my laptop to see the charger, I seem to be unable to play any game without getting a full sudden shutdown - no bluescreen, no warnings, no sensible logs in windows' "Messages"...
Also, here's what I noticed, and would like to confirm: when my laptop shuts down in this "sudden" way, the power brick also "shuts down" - it's LED light turns off (Has anyone experienced this too?) .
After that, the brick itself has to be re-plugged to work again.

Here comes more. Besides Windows 10, I've got some Ubuntu linux (16.04 LTS, x64) running from an external drive. So far so good, it goes all well - battery charges, games work.
Question: might it be Windows' battery / "charger" drivers or certain Windows update?

Hello, EVERYTHING you've stated is MY EXACT PROBLEM, except the Linux part, since I only use Windows 10.

taavi12

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #81 on: 04-November-18, 12:33:24 »

Have same problem, any solution yet ? no warranty anymore.

astefanello

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #82 on: 10-December-18, 12:38:10 »

Hello,

A.
The problem is back .. even with the 80W ... anyone has find a SOFTWARE solution ?

tgrundy23

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #83 on: 21-December-18, 13:13:30 »

I have two GT72 6QE and have this issue on both.  Took one to an engineer who ordered and replaced the mosfett (SP?) from that picture.  Didn't fix the problem.  Still shuts down while gaming (usually after about 5-10 mins). I will never buy an MSI computer or laptop again after both of these laptops :censored:  the bed.  MSI support was useless as reported by other users.  If this happens to your computer you are most likely screwed.

profilaktiskas

• SERGEANT
« Reply #84 on: 23-December-18, 09:45:58 »

Heres information to sum up everything, regarding random shutdowns:
(been through this process myself, was looking for info for year or so, managed to get through this)

Here is your GPU, red crossed areas are places to be faulty. which one I cant say based on your experience. But if you getting random shutdows your GPU card is faulty. 99%. it either be the main microchip N16E-GX-A1 or the mini chips around the card, but its 90% the main BGA microchip. the replaccement for this:

1> Chip itself is 100-120$
                                                                                                                                                                    2> Only profesionals can replace with a wage depending on your country, but in Lithuania they take 60-120 euros

These 980M cards tends to be faulty after some time.
Ive ordered my 980M 8GB for 350euros, replaced with plug n play, and everything runs fine. IF you looking for replacement, you should be aware of the card itself, because there are many TYPES of these 980M, different chip locations and chip numbers, chip identification numbers itself. remember, if you order the different card your notebook will not find it if you plug it by itself, there must be vBIOS reflashed by your PC and this is hard if you have only Integrated graphhics working.
This picture above, is the correct version visualy looking GPU for MSI GT72

KingKornate

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #85 on: 25-December-18, 14:20:46 »

Do you remember which supplier you bought your replacement gtx 908m from?

oskarljung93

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #86 on: 26-December-18, 20:51:15 »

I have kinda solved it, but it hurts my soul a bit to do it.
The problem is that the power form the cord is not enough to run the computer. And since there wont be any more power going in via the cord, all that you can do is to reduce the consumption of your machine. Changing the demand (graphics settings and the like) in your various games wont help so what you need to do is to:

Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Select Power Options.
Find Processor power management and open the menu for maximum processor state.
Change the setting for on battery to 75%. (or whatever)
Change the setting for plugged in to 75%. (or whatever)

this will reduce the maximum processing power, effectively slowing down your computer, and for proud members of the pc master race, this is all but heresy. but you gotta do what you gotta do.Furthermore. the source of the problem is probably caused by wear on some IC in the motherboard and it might get worse. This is the manufactures fault for making shitty parts. so i call you all to march up in force to them and give them a good spanking because they sold a bad product. 

veliseremet

• CORPORAL
« Reply #87 on: 27-December-18, 23:41:40 »

The problem is that the power form the cord is not enough to run the computer. And since there wont be any more power going in via the cord, all that you can do is to reduce the consumption of your machine. Changing the demand (graphics settings and the like) in your various games wont help so what you need to do is to:

Select Power Options.

this will reduce the maximum processing power, effectively slowing down your computer, and for proud members of the pc master race, this is all but heresy. but you gotta do what you gotta do.Furthermore. the source of the problem is probably caused by wear on some IC in the motherboard and it might get worse. This is the manufactures fault for making shitty parts. so i call you all to march up in force to them and give them a good spanking because they sold a bad product.

I'd love to complain to MSI about this issue, along with the keyboard issue, but how would we honestly do that? This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. 

And yet MSI gets away with it easily. How can we do anything about it??? Especially since our warranty is expired?

veliseremet

• CORPORAL
« Reply #88 on: 07-January-19, 05:07:20 »

Select Power Options.

By the way, would just like to ask:

Isn't this issue caused by GPU "overload"? Pretty sure CPU isn't the problem here, but GPU is.

When I browse Chrome or whatever with lots of tabs open etc, my CPU usage is really high, constantly.

However, the moment I turn on a GPU intensive game, the issues and shut downs happen.

ALSO, THIS "FIX" DID NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE AT ALL. Maybe it even made the issue WORSE, since PC undetected AC-Adapter even FASTER.

Hutbolzen

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #89 on: 08-January-19, 14:47:04 »

It isn`t caused by CPU,it is from the red markered Parts,that`s my Experience with it in some GT72 XXX

powerbits.comp

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #90 on: 20-February-19, 02:38:52 »

Hope it helps.
It does not yet to be hounest...
Can you show it on a picture?  wat is printed on the chip?

noahtitanic

• PRIVATE E-2

Well I'm getting the exact same issue too, symptoms are the same as all of you are, it's honestly disgusting that MSI can just get away with this leaving all of us hanging, I'm obviously never buying an MSI product again, and considering this is the only product I've ever gotten from them this may just be the worst experience I've had from any brand.
My laptop is also a GT72 6QE if anyone's wondering...

petpan76

• PRIVATE E-2

I have it for 2 years and 3 months until now working like a clock. Recently i experience some issues with my laptop.
When i tried to play some game ( any game ) after 10-15 minutes is just shuts down. I have to unplug it to make it work again. i remove the nVidia drivers and install some older versions with the same issues. Installed the Windows again with the same issue. i run GPU-Z and i did not saw any overheating issues. I notice that when the laptop shuts down during the game the power supply led is OFF, like it's not plugged. I try to run any game using only the battery and had the same issue. after 15-20 minutes the laptop just shuts down.
I opened the laptop and did some cleaning, removed thermal paste and apply a new one. And i saw some improvement. I finally played a game for full 3 hours (FrostPunk) Not the most demanding game but still before i could play that for 15-20 minutes top. However when i tried to play the Witcher 3 after 25 minutes now had the same issue. Shut down and had to unplug and plug again to turn it ON again.

Nakkuchan

• PRIVATE E-2

The actual problem was the IC unit on the motherboard. Apparently power consumption of the laptop was way too high for the thing to last for more than a couple of years and it has started to burn.

Hi! I've been having the very same problem with my MSI GT70 2QD dominator for almost a year. Sudden shut downs, no overheating, problems charging the battery and with the led of the power brick... the exact same thing.

As I've been reading in this topic and in other forums, the only solution that seems to work is the one I quote, right? Other solutions such as lowering the power demands of the laptop turned out useless, changing the brick or battery doesn't work either, and not to mention the incredible MSI service... Any other conclusion? Just to recap... because this issue is so annoying.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up