Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Temperature Issue (GL62M 7RD)  (Read 2677 times)

GutamaTopic starter

• SERGEANT
CPU Temperature Issue (GL62M 7RD)
« on: 13-January-18, 07:15:16 »

My notebook was cleaned (the fans), was repasted by Servie Center MSI a month ago. They also claimed there is nothing wrong with my fans, only full of dust. I tested the fans, its working very well (strong blow at exhaust)

But my notebook, the CPU temperature is so damn high. It can reach max temperature at 97-99 Celcius if i am playing game even when the CPU fan is working hard.

The screenshots:
there are 5 images at different condition (idle after booting, doing AV scan, gaming (early, 10 minutes, 20 minutes duration)

https://imgur.com/a/C6MvQ

Whats the cause of this issue? something wrong with the cooling system like thermal paste fail/heatsink/heatpipe didnt work?

Look like i got a broken notebook? cause my notebook also have this keyboard issue https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=295141.0

Amaella

• MAJOR
Re: CPU Temperature Issue (GL62M 7RD)
« Reply #1 on: 13-January-18, 08:02:26 »

Any idea if the keyboard cable plugs in near the CPU? Considering the cpu is overheating, it may be messing up the keyboard connector or sth... But I am afraid people on the forums cannot help with HW fault >< did you look into undervolting for your cpu?
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

GutamaTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 13-January-18, 08:25:38 »

Any idea if the keyboard cable plugs in near the CPU? Considering the cpu is overheating, it may be messing up the keyboard connector or sth... But I am afraid people on the forums cannot help with HW fault >< did you look into undervolting for your cpu?
i'm looking for confirmation if this is hadware issue before i bring my notebook to SC MSI. Because they said there is nothing wrong with my laptop when they cleaned it but in reality its not.
so do you think its clearly hardware issue? or can be cause by software/virus/malware/etc? If bring this ntebook to SC, what should parts I said to them to be checked?

I dont wanna modify my CPU yet, i dont have experience about that.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #3 on: 13-January-18, 09:06:37 »

Undervolting a cpu is not modifying it... it just tells it to use less voltage which results in less heat. It is harmless, does not affect the life of the cpu and can bring the temps down even 10 degrees or more. I assume you have the 7700HQ, which has been reported to undervolt at least -100mV with success, more than that if you know what you are doing. You can use XTU for this (should be preinstalled on your laptop), you just have to set the voltage offset to negative values. Now, the maximum undervolt depends on the specific chip: some will bsod at -135, others can go as low as -160 or even further. Every chip is different. You can start by setting -100 and see what it does. Maybe it will be enough to bring temps under 90 already and you don't have to go further at all if you aren't comfortable. If you are not happy with -100, you can slowly go further to -110, 120, etc until it crashes. When it does, set the value a bit up again (say crash at -130, set -125 and try again). XTU values do NOT stick with reboot, so if it does bsod you can reboot it normally again. Do keep in mind you will have to open XTU every time you want the undervolt applied, else you will have to use other programs that can apply undervolt on startup such as throttlestop (do not test the limits of your laptop with that one as applying too much undervolt on startup may result in you not being able to boot into windows).

It's a lot of text, but there are plenty other guides on youtube/forums etc as well. You can look those up if my instructions are not comprehensible. However, I don't think it will help with your keyboard problem so you will have to contact MSI most likely anyway about that. ><
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

GutamaTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 13-January-18, 09:24:49 »

Undervolting a cpu is not modifying it... it just tells it to use less voltage which results in less heat. It is harmless, does not affect the life of the cpu and can bring the temps down even 10 degrees or more. I assume you have the 7700HQ, which has been reported to undervolt at least -100mV with success, more than that if you know what you are doing. You can use XTU for this (should be preinstalled on your laptop), you just have to set the voltage offset to negative values. Now, the maximum undervolt depends on the specific chip: some will bsod at -135, others can go as low as -160 or even further. Every chip is different. You can start by setting -100 and see what it does. Maybe it will be enough to bring temps under 90 already and you don't have to go further at all if you aren't comfortable. If you are not happy with -100, you can slowly go further to -110, 120, etc until it crashes. When it does, set the value a bit up again (say crash at -130, set -125 and try again). XTU values do NOT stick with reboot, so if it does bsod you can reboot it normally again. Do keep in mind you will have to open XTU every time you want the undervolt applied, else you will have to use other programs that can apply undervolt on startup such as throttlestop (do not test the limits of your laptop with that one as applying too much undervolt on startup may result in you not being able to boot into windows).

It's a lot of text, but there are plenty other guides on youtube/forums etc as well. You can look those up if my instructions are not comprehensible. However, I don't think it will help with your keyboard problem so you will have to contact MSI most likely anyway about that. ><

for solution to decrease the temperature, yeah, its look nice. but thats not solve my issue. i dont know about my notebook cooling system condition, Is it truly normal thing to have this temperature (:censored: the cooling boost 4 doing if i get this temperature) or not? what do you think about the possible broken hardware?

i dont have the app XTU, do you mean this app? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #5 on: 13-January-18, 21:40:15 »

Yeah, that's the app. It came preinstalled on my msi laptop but that could be because I have the unlocked version or sth. Anyway, in your screenshots I only see auto fans being activated in dragon center. Coolerbooster does not work automatically, you have to use a special button on your laptop to activate it or choose it in dragon center.
I cannot really judge whether the temperatures are reasonable... ge/gl/gs series will often reach near 100 degrees on stress tests and thermal throttle. But on all of your screenshots, these temperatures are only as the maximum ones and not the actual current temperature. Seeing the game is open next to it, this makes me think that there is no problem with the hardware. If the temperature climbed to 95 or more and stayed there the whole time with your cpu throttling (lower frequency, like 2.7GHz or less, which does not seem to be your case), then I would consider it a real problem.
However, there is the thing with your keyboard for which you will have to send the laptop off anyway most likely, so just get them to check the temps again >< Good luck.

Shian

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 15-January-18, 19:42:32 »

You should try to test it with MSI Afterburner, it can give you actual temp in-game. My 3 weeks old GP62MVR 7RFX constantly reach 95-96C for playing dota 2 in just under 10 minutes. I don't know if it's normal for MSI laptop, at least this one turn to be nice expensive toaster.

GutamaTopic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 17-January-18, 03:33:19 »

Yeah, that's the app. It came preinstalled on my msi laptop but that could be because I have the unlocked version or sth. Anyway, in your screenshots I only see auto fans being activated in dragon center. Coolerbooster does not work automatically, you have to use a special button on your laptop to activate it or choose it in dragon center.
I cannot really judge whether the temperatures are reasonable... ge/gl/gs series will often reach near 100 degrees on stress tests and thermal throttle. But on all of your screenshots, these temperatures are only as the maximum ones and not the actual current temperature. Seeing the game is open next to it, this makes me think that there is no problem with the hardware. If the temperature climbed to 95 or more and stayed there the whole time with your cpu throttling (lower frequency, like 2.7GHz or less, which does not seem to be your case), then I would consider it a real problem.
However, there is the thing with your keyboard for which you will have to send the laptop off anyway most likely, so just get them to check the temps again >< Good luck.
coolerbooster not help much, only decrease max temperature like 2 celcius. as i said before, my notebook fans already worked hard (high RPM)

by using XTU, finally i can monitoring my temperature more detail. my average temperature is aroud 90++ celcius when full load when other users said its their max temperature not their average temperature. OMG. how hot my notebook

Stress test (using XTU, using Furmark) also got insane result, its only need around 5-10 second to reach max temperature 95-97 celcius.

mohamed.ladjal

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 20-April-19, 06:26:14 »

Hi guys,

My average temperature was around 90-92° while playing.
I changed my thermal paste today, it seems to have been initially applied by a hog.

Now it doesn't get above 70°

You may consider change it also

MonsterMan

• SERGEANT
« Reply #9 on: 21-April-19, 06:45:48 »

Hi guys,

My average temperature was around 90-92° while playing.
I changed my thermal paste today, it seems to have been initially applied by a hog.

Now it doesn't get above 70°

You may consider change it also
But, won't that void warranty?? I have same issue on my 5 weeks old GL63 8SE, temp goes above 90C everytime I game. Sucks, really. Don't know why this happened

pennknig

• MAJOR
« Reply #10 on: 21-April-19, 06:54:54 »

But, won't that void warranty?? 

MonsterMan

• SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 22-April-19, 05:46:07 »

[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure though if the warranty rules differ from region to another. Plus maybe it's me, but I don't see them mention thermal pasting specifically. Well, I should try asking around here perhaps they could provide valid answer regarding this. I'd love to do the repasting straight away once I know it won't void my warranty. :D Thanks for sharing.

freeyh

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #12 on: 24-April-19, 00:44:00 »

But, won't that void warranty?? I have same issue on my 5 weeks old GL63 8SE, temp goes above 90C everytime I game. Sucks, really. Don't know why this happened
The warranty rules differ from region to another, should contact the local MSI service to confirm the policy whether repasting the thermal grease would void the warranty or not.

Which games did you play and the in-game settings? And what you mentioned "90C" every time, do you mean CPU or GPU temperature and how did you get the digits? From the Dragon Center or other third parties software (HWinfo, XTU...etc)? 

Besides, when you noticed the temperature was 90C, did your laptop encounter any performance issues? Like FPS dropped or lagging...etc.

Just remind, due to the forum's policy, I'll suggest you post a new post next rather than reply under the old post directly.

ifixscreen2018

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 24-April-19, 01:37:43 »

Here are the basic steps to fix the heating issue in CPU:

caval.dorian

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #14 on: 25-April-19, 00:11:47 »

I get 90+ by playing bloody pokemon with gba emulator...

Just lower your voltage to -140 and you should get a steady 90 max... (still too high, but it is what it is)

shaunmw

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 11-May-19, 06:02:17 »

90 degrees ha ha....

LM all the way. A lot of thin laptops sit at 95 degrees whilst gaming nowadays.

I have applied LM to my CPU, repasted the GPU with something better than MSI toothpaste and removed the melted goop MSI called thermal pads and replaced with decent thermal pads.

CPU temps under gaming load never go over 70 degrees now on my GS75 8750H, GPU sits at 70 aswell.

At that is at room temp of 28 C
Pages: [1]   Go Up