Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU LED - MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon with AMD Ryzen 7  (Read 1499 times)

ggraham412Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Hello!

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. 

After installing a brand new AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU into a new MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard, I get the CPU fail LED light immediately. The CPU pins were fine on inspection, not bent or broken, The CPU was oriented correctly by lining up the triangles as shown in the manual, it slid in easily, and the heatsink+fan are installed correctly.  The RAM is G,Skill Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) installed in DIMM A2/B2 slots.  There is an SSD drive on Sata1, and a CD drive on Sata3. The graphics card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050, installed in the slot closest to the CPU. 

I tried power down/power up.  I also tried removing RAM and and clearing CMOS with a jumper.  Still get the CPU fail light as soon as I power up.

This is the second motherboard CPU set I have obtained from NewEgg, the first being returned on an RMA, and they both fail in the same way!  I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.  Please advise.

Thanks, Greg

ggraham412Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: CPU LED - MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon with AMD Ryzen 7
« Reply #1 on: 02-June-18, 16:55:18 »

Here's a photo.  The CPU fail it is a constant light, and same thing happens when DIMMs are in A2/B2.  I also tried unplugging the SATA cables to no avail. 

In case it helps, there are no additional EZ Debug lights when RAM is installed and HDD is plugged in.

greid1017

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 03-June-18, 10:46:21 »

You need to flash the BIOS to the latest version using a gen 1 Ryzen CPU. The 2700 wont post as the motherboard wont recognize the CPU  w/o the updated BIOS.

ggraham412Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 04-June-18, 16:49:15 »

Thank you for your answer.

How can I flash the BIOS without being able to boot?

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #4 on: 04-June-18, 17:03:15 »

Hello,
I suppose that your cardbox has not a sticker with something like "Raven Ridge ready".
So, as already said by greid1017, you have to update the bios because it must be at least at V1.C0 (include AGESA Code 1.1.0.1 furnished by AMD to support Raven Ridge CPU, see >>X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - Bios<<). Because you cannot with your 2700X (of course), you have to find one Summit Ridge (and a GPU) or Bristol Ridge to do the bios update. For that, you have the choice between:
1/ Get one Bristol Ridge free from AMD: >>AM4 boot kit<<. You will have to return the sended CPU once bios update done.
2/ Find a local Shop and see if they can update the board for you. The store you bought the mobo from should update for free.
3/ RMA the board to MSI for update.
Of course, 2 is the fastest; 3 the worst (long and risk to receive a refurbished mobo).
Have a good day,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse
Pages: [1]   Go Up