Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI, Windows 10 upgrade and SSD drives  (Read 6057 times)

davidfTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
MSI, Windows 10 upgrade and SSD drives
« on: 22-March-18, 15:59:34 »

PLEASE MSI, we need a new BIOS.  This was the only answer with another manufacturer.

There have been some posts elsewhere, but not recent.  As near i can tell from the Microsoft forum, this is a problem for hundreds of us with MSI Motherboards, Windows 10 and SSD drives.  It's not possible to upgrade the OS and its not possible to stop the auto-upgrade.  So our computers reboot automaticly many times a day.  It gives you the blue screen of death and says your drives are not accessible. (Error code: 0xc00000bb)

Here's a link to the forum and the many different things tries by many:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/1703-gt-1709-BSOD-0xc00000bb-on-devices-with-NVMe-SSD-s/m-p/173023/highlight/false#M1464
Update in case anyone is listening:
1. Microsoft is giving a boot up message that this version of Windows 10 - 1607 is no longer supported in April.
2. Still can't stop the Windows Upgrade Assistant-  I have modified the registry according to directions multiple times.  If I uninstall it, it comes back minutes later.  Its a virus that can't be removed.
3. I have downloaded the ISO on the new Windows 10 version and done the upgrade from there.  It goes through a long time upgrading, then Dies.  Have done this at least 3 times...probably more.
4. About every other failure to upgrade leaves my machine's programs unable to launch, except in Administrator mode.   Took a while to figure that out... Its a hassle, but in some cases things do not work.  Microsoft Outlook for instance can not search in admin mode.  I use this constantly.

Things I am afraid to try:
Since this leaves my machine potentially unusable with the blue screen of death, so far I am able to boot using and alternative and continue.  
1. Doing a clean install is worrisome.  Seems like a good possibility that the machine will not recognize the drives and never boot.
2. Booting from a USB drive to upgrade - I worry about the same outcome.
3. Some have suggested using a non-SSD drive to boot from...Clone a drive, etc...So I am supposed to order and install a new drive just to test this???    Figure out how to clone a drive etc...  I am experienced, but its not something I am set up to do.
4. Reinstalling all my programs is VERY time consuming.  Some are saying hours, but by the time I get at the setting back to what I like, it takes me days.

So appealing to MSI and Mcrosoft - What's the answer?

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL
Re: MSI, Windows 10 upgrade and SSD drives
« Reply #1 on: 23-March-18, 03:20:08 »

looks like it happens on x99 and also some asus and gigabyte x299 platform  :think: 
and i guess unless you want to wait for solution either from microsoft or MSI, the best way is probably clean installing latest win10 again.

davidfTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 23-March-18, 09:12:24 »

new messages from frustrated users.  Hoping for an MSI response:
  • I'm out. Bought a new motherboard from ASRock as MSI doesn't care about their customers. Worked out of the box with the update.
  • I'm sorry for all others that are faced with this problem. I'll never buy a MSI product again... this is just ridiculous

• I wish Windows was Open Source. Then bugs like this could be fixed by the community in days or a week.
  • I would switched since long to Linux, if the Driver- and Apps-Compatibility would be like on Windows.
  • MSI and ASUS is already dead for me. Foxconn does the Production, and they do **bleep** all the times.
  • On my next PC I will go to ASRock much better Support...

• Microsoft please, fix this already! I will be really angry if it was just a Boot File Size limit!
  • That would be a 5 minute job!

jashayre

• CORPORAL
« Reply #3 on: 23-March-18, 12:14:47 »

Same problem here.  Getting EXTREMELY ANNOYED now with this.

Last MSI product I ever buy!

X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING-CARBON.   Using Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD  as boot drive C:

asusfreak

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 23-March-18, 12:55:21 »

Hi

Just wanted to contribute also

I have the same problems on MSI X99A Raider and Samsung NVMe 960 EVO.

MSI: Are You looking into this? Problem has been there apx 4 months now. MSI, Hope to hear from You soon.

I also refer to Microsoft forum: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-10/1703-gt-1709-BSOD-0xc00000bb-on-devices-with-NVMe-SSD-s/td-p/130851

Kind Regards
Kim

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 24-March-18, 22:31:40 »

As the other mates, I have the same problem with a X99A Raider and a m.2 960 EVO. It is the only brand of X99 motherboards which have this problem.

In Asus, it also happened and it was fixed. I have been in the Anniversary Update because of the impossibility of upgrade due to the BSODs. It is everything explained in the forum posts from microsoft.

This is extremely annoying so please, MSI, look into this.

Regards

daniel.vanwesten

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 28-March-18, 09:40:23 »

Having the same problem with the X99 Raider and the Samsung m2 850 EVO.. please MSI, give us a patch!

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #7 on: 28-March-18, 10:11:03 »

Having the same problem with the X99 Raider and the Samsung m2 850 EVO.. please MSI, give us a patch!
:confused2: 850 EVO is SATA not NVMe, so it should not be concerned by this update bug :confused2:

For others with NVMe drive, have you already tried to move (not copy but move) your EFI partition on a SATA drive ? :scratchchin:
OS partition being on the M.2 drive, performances would be unaffected.
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

lhoferek

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 29-March-18, 11:37:08 »

Same problem here Win 10 64 bit. X99A Gaming Pro Carbon with Samsung SSD 960 PRO M.2, 512GB, NVMe as a boot drive. 

My system is not updated already more then half year, every restart after update fails with error. I am already sick and tired of trying anything more. Have read so many articles and tried many things, spend many hours on that and nothing helped. Microsoft support is useless same as MSI. This is last MSI product I have ever bought.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #9 on: 29-March-18, 15:58:41 »

Have you already tried to move (not copy but move) your EFI partition on a SATA drive ?
If you have not already done that in all your tries:
open disk manager and see where is your EFI boot partition. If it is on the M.2, move it on a SATA gpt drive. For example, see: >>Windows 10: Moving / recreating EFI partition<<.
Good luck,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 30-March-18, 01:57:40 »

:confused2: 850 EVO is SATA not NVMe, so it should not be concerned by this update bug :confused2:

For others with NVMe drive, have you already tried to move (not copy but move) your EFI partition on a SATA drive ? :scratchchin:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried what you mentioned but it still does the same thing. 

It is like if the boot would point to a non-existing sdd/hdd after the windows update or like if the nvme ssd would not exist.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #11 on: 30-March-18, 05:31:38 »

Very strange! :think: 
I have also read that using an USB adapter does not work also. Futhermore, Microsoft is not pressed to resolve the problem! :gg: 
Your EFI boot partition exists only on the SATA drive?

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 30-March-18, 13:57:41 »

Yes, I first tried to copy de EFI partition to a hard drive and the second time I did it deleting the one in the nvme ssd. 

The result was identical: BSOD like the ones we get when we do nothing special.

Greetings

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #13 on: 30-March-18, 15:15:07 »

:think:
Have you already tried to update after setting in bios:
 "SETTINGS \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabled" ("Disabled" by default)?
Hoping this will solve,

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #14 on: 31-March-18, 03:30:20 »

Yes, I tried already almost any combination possibe in bios: the WHQL option, also putting the SSD as the only possible boot device (everything in UEFI mode, of course), doing the update with all my hard drives disconnected, etc., etc. I think it is something only solvable by MSI/Microsoft. Even I played with the size of the EFI partitions. I mean, I was not able to update since the Anniversary Update, so I had time to try every solution that I could find.

The only option that seems to work (not tried so far but I know it works) is to clone the nvme ssd into a normal hard drive/ssd, do the update, and then cloning it back. However, that would not change the fact that in a future windows update, the problem still persists (and you have to have the other disk to perform this workaround). On the thread from MS, which is posted above, someone changed to an Asrock mobo and it worked out of the box. So my guess is that the Bios is at fault here.

A clean install also seems to work, according to other forum members, but I should not have to do that in the first place.

Greetings

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #15 on: 31-March-18, 03:51:18 »

The only option that seems to work (not tried so far but I know it works) is to clone the nvme ssd into a normal hard drive/ssd, do the update, and then cloning it back.
Yes, it should work but I did not dare to suggest that...
On the thread from MS, which is posted above, someone changed to an Asrock mobo and it worked out of the box. So my guess is that the Bios is at fault here.
Yes, but I think that he has done a clean install without installing Samsung drivers before to do the update...
However, that would not change the fact that in a future windows update, the problem still persists (and you have to have the other disk to perform this workaround).
Microsoft should be attentive to that for the futur updates.

Sorry, but as you I believe now that the only running option at this time is to move OS partition on a SATA drive. Have you a such tools (easus, minitools, acronis...)?
:undecided:

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #16 on: 31-March-18, 04:45:54 »

Yes, I have the tools, but it is my last resource (I would have to setup the other disks so that I have enough space to perform the task, etc.). The Spring update is around the corner and I will not try to do the workaround until then in order to avoid the same problems when the Spring update comes.

Thank you for your help anyway ;)

Greetings

rbleroy91

• GENERAL OF THE ARMY
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #17 on: 31-March-18, 06:24:21 »

You are welcome!

msi

• CORPORAL
« Reply #18 on: 01-April-18, 08:32:43 »

Hello, PLEASE if you read this share it to Windows Tech Community, I don't want to create shitty MS Account...

I found a solution for this struggle I had the last 8 month!!
I just tried everythind but a clean install. So now I thought about not installing 1709, but 1803 which was released as final some days ago.
With this trick I got my PC on WIN 10 1803:

-Download ISO File: Deskmodder I used the x64 german file, but most of you might need the english one.
-Download ISO to bootable USB tool unetbootin
-Create a flashdrive with latest ISO
-Restart PC
-Navigate in explorer, open setup.exe on USB medium
-Choose install and keep data/settings

The installation process starts and keeps up - no error after reboot!
I don't know if MS did any changes with this new function update, but main thing is that it works like charm!

Tested by me on:
WIN 10 1703 64bit
MSI X99S SLI Plus
Samsung 960 Evo (500GB) SSD

Try it yourselfes and then spread the solution on other platforms :)

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #19 on: 01-April-18, 15:43:34 »

Hello, PLEASE if you read this share it to Windows Tech Community, I don't want to create shitty MS Account...

I found a solution for this struggle I had the last 8 month!!
I just tried everythind but a clean install. So now I thought about not installing 1709, but 1803 which was released as final some days ago.
With this trick I got my PC on WIN 10 1803:

-Download ISO File: Deskmodder I used the x64 german file, but most of you might need the english one.
-Download ISO to bootable USB tool unetbootin
-Create a flashdrive with latest ISO
-Restart PC
-Navigate in explorer, open setup.exe on USB medium
-Choose install and keep data/settings

The installation process starts and keeps up - no error after reboot!
I don't know if MS did any changes with this new function update, but main thing is that it works like charm!

Tested by me on:
WIN 10 1703 64bit
MSI X99S SLI Plus
Samsung 960 Evo (500GB) SSD

Try it yourselfes and then spread the solution on other platforms :)
Thanks, I will give that a try. If it works, I will write it on the Windows Tech Community forum.

Greetings :)

jashayre

• CORPORAL
« Reply #20 on: 02-April-18, 05:50:06 »

Anyone else able to get this suggested fix to work please?

Since Microsoft and MSI can't be bothered to communicate with their CUSTOMERS!!!

Fantasma

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #21 on: 02-April-18, 06:10:47 »

I have just posted this on the MS forum two times (the first one was deleted). The above suggestion from the user "msi" worked but I had to do it a bit differently due to the language of my distribution as I explain below:

I will also make a small contribution. When you download the .iso file of the last Spring Creators Update, it must be the same language as your current windows distribution, otherwise you will lose your application/programs during the update. My language was not there, as only Russian, English and German versions could be found with the latest build.

My solution was to register in the insider program and download the iso of the latest version there, in this case, the build 17127 (link only works with edge!!!):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

I do not know if being insider is a prerequisite for the download/install of the build, but I did it before downloading so I did not check that. After downloading the disc image (by choosing the last build and your language), you can mount it with the built-in feature of windows and install/update windows from there, directly by using the setup.exe file (the use of an usb stick is not necessary).

After following the instructions, the update went smoothly and I got no BSOD. My system was upgraded to the build 17127 which worked just fine. After doing that, I recommend to look for updates and update the system to the build 17133 (Windows  1803) as that will be the public versión of the Spring Creators Update so that you have already the "public" version installed. At this point, you can decide if continuing as insider or to leave the program and only receive the public updates (but do not use the option to revert back to the current public windows version).

Anyway, I guess that the new build will be available to the public in 10 days or so (10th of April is rumoured for that) so you can wait until you get the update from the normal windows update tool but, in my case, I was tired of dealing with failed updates, reboots and the update orchestrator.

Please, if this works, post back, so that we know that this is definitely fixed.

Greetings

P.S: Well, my posts in the MS forum were reported as spam...

daniel.vanwesten

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #22 on: 02-April-18, 09:03:30 »

woops.. I meant 960 of course.

thanks @msi, worked like a charm!

chriscomit

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #23 on: 17-April-18, 20:35:07 »

Still, have this issue with Windows 10 RS4 latest Insider build upgrade 17134.1 on X99A Godlike Gaming and Samsung SSD 950 Pro.

sparkz42

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #24 on: 23-April-18, 15:53:11 »

On my X99A Godlike I have twin Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M.2's - one for system, the other for data.

Like others I have been bashing my head :bonk:trying to resolve this. MSI and Microsoft have been absolutely no help at all. Seems other manufacturers can manage to change their BIOS to fix this issue but MSI isn't bothered.

It would have been nice to do a clean install but I have so much software on my system it becomes a complete headache as it's all licensed and I can't just copy it.

In the end I copied my system to a HD. Upgraded WIndows and then copied back to the SSD again. I use EaseUS backup to do this which works ok although I had trouble doing a 4K align on the SDD on the restore.

You can bet my next MB is not going to be a MSI. No product like this is worth it without decent support. It's a shame as apart from this the MB has been ok.

Ken21

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #25 on: 04-May-18, 00:25:12 »

I can confirm that the latest Windows 10 version 1803 finally worked on my system.

Tomahawk X99A MB with Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD. Was on 1607, 1703 failed with blue screen (multiple times), 1709 failed with blue screen (multiple times), but 1803 didn't have any issues.

If it helps, I did the update by downloading the Windows 10 upgrade tool (first blue "Update Now" button at top of page) from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

seriley

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #26 on: 08-May-18, 09:55:46 »

Thanks Ken21 for the info. I've been hoping the 2018 Spring Creators Update would work, that Microsoft or MSI will fix this issue. I have an Intel NVME 750 SSD, and the X99A MPower Motherboard. From what I am gathering, a BIOS update can fix the issue (I'd read one other motherboard manufacturer came out with an update that fixed the issue), or Microsoft could start giving a damn and they could fix the issue.

It seems an appalling lack of caring from both MSI and Microsoft. MSI told me to reload the OS. Seriously, this is not a way to do updates! That isn't a solution. It would take me many days to get everything setup again. I'm also very afraid of the clone it to a HD, and do the update, and clone it back to the NVME drive method. What if that fails or doesn't work somehow, I don't want to spend weeks on this issue. I've already spent more time than I wish on the issue, wasting loads of time trying to get rid of that VIRUS Windows Update Assistant that got me into a never ending series of reboots, with no warning, while I'm using the computer. How long would it take MSI to fix this issue in the BIOS? They don't care - I don't don't care to EVER purchase an MSI motherboard ever again. Remember - everyone with this issue, to give an honest review of your MSI motherboard on Amazon.\

And Davidf - did you try the method where you find, I think it was two different copies of the Update Assistant in places on the drive? You have to remove those too, or it just reinstalls itself. I did finally get rid of that. But it was horrific.

Please MSI - fix this issue. We've all had enough.

jesse

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #27 on: 16-September-18, 10:37:16 »

In case anyone is struggling on Godlike Gaming X99 with m.2 SSD boot drive, I was unable to update to 1803 prior to bios 1.90. After installing the latest bios 1.90 everything worked!

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI
« Reply #28 on: 16-September-18, 13:35:27 »

No need to resurrect this almost 6 months old thread. >>Please read and comply with the Forum Rules.<<

:floblock:
MSI MEG X570 Godlike (MS-7C34) Bios 1.8
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Phobya Strike 280 Liquid CPU Cooler w. Cooler Master MasterFan MF140R fans
32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2 x F4-3600C18-16GTZN) @ 1799.6 MHz (DDR4-3600) - Ratio 3:54, 1.35v
MSI GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
512GB Silicon Power P34A80 M.2 SSD + 1.92TB KINGSTON A400 SATA SSD
Antec High Current Pro 1000 Platinum-EC PSU • +12V:(4x40A) 83,33A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Case (SGC-5000-KWN1)
Pages: [1]   Go Up