Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synaptics SMBus Touchpad can be disabled.  (Read 9551 times)

lachlan.mannTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Synaptics SMBus Touchpad can be disabled.
« on: 03-April-18, 06:57:06 »

MSI GT73VR

After windows10 updated the touchpad driver to Sydnaptics SMBus Touchpad,
there doesnt seem a way to disable the touchpad - even with a mouse plugged in.
The control panel> Device Driver > Touchpad (disable is greyed out)

any hints?

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
Re: Synaptics SMBus Touchpad can be disabled.
« Reply #1 on: 04-April-18, 10:32:34 »

same exact issues here. i hate microsoft
Im just a end user who wants to help people not get taken advantage of and hope to help with what i have learned to pass on info which could be helpful. I only play games and surf the web. I build my own computers. I also have taken apart my GT73 for a board flip because the morons at MSI thought putting a Single channel stick in a high end Laptop was a good idea smh
MSI GT73EVR 7RE TITAN  4.0 7820hk 1070 GTX Samsung 250GB NVME M.2 GSKILL RIPJAWS 2400Mhz 2x8GB

lasselotten

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 04-April-18, 23:04:12 »

same here

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #3 on: 04-April-18, 23:29:00 »

It seems the icon isnt even there anymore its like its not even there. ugh :(
Im just a end user who wants to help people not get taken advantage of and hope to help with what i have learned to pass on info which could be helpful. I only play games and surf the web. I build my own computers. I also have taken apart my GT73 for a board flip because the morons at MSI thought putting a Single channel stick in a high end Laptop was a good idea smh
MSI GT73EVR 7RE TITAN  4.0 7820hk 1070 GTX Samsung 250GB NVME M.2 GSKILL RIPJAWS 2400Mhz 2x8GB

lasselotten

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 04-April-18, 23:35:51 »

Even if you close with fn-f3. so you can not touch the touchpad you come directly to the start page 
even if you have a mouse connected

lasselotten

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 04-April-18, 23:37:36 »

hope they will find a solution soon

snowball99

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 07-April-18, 09:15:18 »

OMG...This just happened to me too. Updated and now my touchpad wont disable.

starx3

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 09-April-18, 20:23:28 »

This also happened to me. I can disable it with FN-F3, but I want to keep it disabled between restarts.

wrobexee

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 11-April-18, 02:37:05 »

I am also having this problem and have created a case with MSI. I have even rolled the driver back, which gives you the option to turn off the touchpad when a mouse is connected, but the tick box doesn't stay since the update.

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #9 on: 12-April-18, 02:58:23 »

bump

kickflip0190

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 13-April-18, 00:10:13 »

bump please this is so annoying

lekou21

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #11 on: 13-April-18, 08:54:37 »

you could try this:
use a mouse, control panel>hardware and sound>devices and printers. right click on laptop icon>"device installation settings">choose "no"> save changes.
Right click on "start" button>device manager>mice and other pointing>right click on synaptic touchpad>uninstall(CHECK DELETE DRIVER)>restart> install latest "working" drivers, i use 19.3.4.184 without any problem.

p.s: installing/updating drivers from windows update is the worst thing you can do on your PC, they will ALWAYS break something :p

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #12 on: 15-April-18, 21:28:13 »

you could try this:
use a mouse, control panel>hardware and sound>devices and printers. right click on laptop icon>"device installation settings">choose "no"> save changes.
Right click on "start" button>device manager>mice and other pointing>right click on synaptic touchpad>uninstall(CHECK DELETE DRIVER)>restart> install latest "working" drivers, i use 19.3.4.184 without any problem.

p.s: installing/updating drivers from windows update is the worst thing you can do on your PC, they will ALWAYS break something :p

Thats not going to fix.

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #13 on: 15-April-18, 21:44:08 »

I have been trying to fix this and i dont think its possible. It will not allow me to uninstall the driver. It wont let me install the driver from MSI drivers on this page. Its weird its like im being forced to have to have the track pad active. I cant even disable it

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #14 on: 17-April-18, 04:54:01 »

bump

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #15 on: 17-April-18, 11:18:34 »

I just had a new update tor the track pad ad it didnt do anything

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #16 on: 18-April-18, 14:36:43 »

bump

DarkwingsDuck

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 18-April-18, 14:53:04 »

Not sure if the following post will solve any of the issues mentioned above.  Found the post by bbok3k from Notebook Review Forum:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-ge63vr-ge73vr-raider-laptops.806824/page-142#post-10713944

Attention: Windows is pushing this stupid-ass touchpad driver update 19.5.10.128. It's completely removing the Synaptics program features (the Hardware tab when you open up the Synaptics SMBus Touchpad under Device Manager). I've tried literally every solution online to prevent windows from updating my drivers but it either doesn't work or attempting to temporarily hide the driver update isn't successful because it installs it too quickly. The only thing that works is uninstalling, booting to safe mode to install older driver, then preventing Windows Update through O&O Shutup. Incidentally the toggle options for Automatic driver updates through Windows Update disabled and Disable automatic downloading manufacturers' apps and icons for devices and Automatic app updates through Windows Update disabled don't stop the touchpad drivers from downloading and installing because apparently W10 Update is too godlike. The firstr update of this version got pushed a few weeks ago, I rolled back to old driver as final solution but there were still bugs (touchpad didn't work *at all* once I selected disable when external USB mouse inserted), and now it's pushing the driver again, but a new driver date 03/14/2018, before it was 01/25/2018. Bugs from rolling back touchpad driver was result of rollback, not driver version.

tldr: Touchpad driver 19.3.4.193 from MSI website is fine, but W10 is pushing new driver update 19.5.10.125/19.5.128 that is ****ing up my ****, and all the solutions online to prevent W10 driver update hasn't worked for me. Rolling back is my final solution, but bugs emerge when using rollback. No bugs if I reinstall in Safe Mode and use O&O Shutup to completely disable W10 Update.
GE63VR 7RF-001

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #18 on: 19-April-18, 04:22:44 »

Not sure if the following post will solve any of the issues mentioned above.  Found the post by bbok3k from Notebook Review Forum:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-ge63vr-ge73vr-raider-laptops.806824/page-142#post-10713944

That is good other people are talking about it hopefully someone takes notice because there are quite a few people with this exact issue

arlithgow

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #19 on: 22-April-18, 17:54:01 »

You could try reverting to a restore point predating the Synaptics driver update (Control Panel, search on 'restore', Create a restore point, System Protection tab, System Restore, 'Choose a restore point' or similar). I used the 2018-04-22 Windows Update, though this has Type 'Critical Update' so I'm as yet unaware of the security implications :-[ though I will report back if there are any issues. Use this suggestion at your own risk. The Synaptic driver is the expected v. 19.3.4.193 and the 'Disable internal pointing device...' setting is preserved over the system restart. For now, waiting on a proper driver update from MS.

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #20 on: 23-April-18, 13:35:00 »

You could try reverting to a restore point predating the Synaptics driver update (Control Panel, search on 'restore', Create a restore point, System Protection tab, System Restore, 'Choose a restore point' or similar). I used the 2018-04-22 Windows Update, though this has Type 'Critical Update' so I'm as yet unaware of the security implications :-[ though I will report back if there are any issues. Use this suggestion at your own risk. The Synaptic driver is the expected v. 19.3.4.193 and the 'Disable internal pointing device...' setting is preserved over the system restart. For now, waiting on a proper driver update from MS.

Can you confirm  this works ? I think doing so would do more harm than good and cause more problems not to mention the time lost. Its just one of those really annoying things that shouldn't have happened but did.

arlithgow

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #21 on: 23-April-18, 15:13:35 »

It worked for me.

OS edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.371
H/W: MSI GE72VR 6RF
Touchpad device: Synaptics TouchPad V1.1 on SMB Port
Touchpad driver: v 19.3.4.193 29Nov17 (AFTER I restored the system to the 2018-04-22 point)
Pending WU Driver Update: Synaptics - Mouse - 3/14/2018 12:00:00 AM - 19.5.10.128

You can always undo the system restore if there are issues - see the System Restore dialog to which I referred above (yesterday).

Naturally, Windows Update is awaiting install of the Synaptics driver ver. 19.5.10.128, which I'm conciously ignoring for now. I poked around and found MS's definition of 'Critical Update': "A widely released fix for a specific problem that addresses a critical, non-security-related bug." So I needn't have jolted anyone when I previously referred to unknown security implications, I apologize.

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #22 on: 23-April-18, 18:40:24 »

It worked for me.

OS edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.371
H/W: MSI GE72VR 6RF
Touchpad device: Synaptics TouchPad V1.1 on SMB Port
Touchpad driver: v 19.3.4.193 29Nov17 (AFTER I restored the system to the 2018-04-22 point)
Pending WU Driver Update: Synaptics - Mouse - 3/14/2018 12:00:00 AM - 19.5.10.128

You can always undo the system restore if there are issues - see the System Restore dialog to which I referred above (yesterday).

Naturally, Windows Update is awaiting install of the Synaptics driver ver. 19.5.10.128, which I'm conciously ignoring for now. I poked around and found MS's definition of 'Critical Update': "A widely released fix for a specific problem that addresses a critical, non-security-related bug." So I needn't have jolted anyone when I previously referred to unknown security implications, I apologize.

It seems like alot of work to me and i think people would like a working driver that doesnt involve a system restore.

arlithgow

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #23 on: 23-April-18, 20:42:57 »

It seems like alot of work to me and i think people would like a working driver that doesnt involve a system restore.

I agree 100%. I simply found the active touchpad a real pain, and preferred to step back to an appropriate restore point temporarily, while waiting on a working touchpad driver update. In making the suggestion, I didn't intend it to be a permanent solution. It's a personal choice.

sydneyblue203

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #24 on: 26-April-18, 11:32:08 »

It seems that now i can get the MSI touchpad driver to work but its not the exact same one with the option to have the touchpad enable when a mouse is plugged in. This would be better as the touchpad resets itself even when you FN F3 after restart

jd

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #25 on: 08-May-18, 02:58:59 »

MSI GE63VR 7RF

I am having the same problem as everyone else here and I am really pissed off at Microsoft right now!!!!

We need a permanent fix for this...

justin

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #26 on: 09-May-18, 15:51:26 »

I have a GE72 7RD and have been having a similar issue recently.  Windows Update would automatically update to driver version 19.5.10.128 and the "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached" option was completely gone.  After several attempts, today I was finally able to roll-back the driver to 19.3.4.184 and then "hide" the update to prevent it from installing (see this thread).  I will see how long that lasts. 

Not sure how much it would help, but I've submitted feedback to Microsoft through the "Feedback Hub" (available in the Windows Store).  For those having issues I would recommend doing the same (or upvoting what I've submitted if it's the same problem; search "Synaptics Touchpad driver version 19.5.10.128 removes features").

wielkafadroma

• PRIVATE E-2

gillcup

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #28 on: 13-July-18, 09:04:27 »

I installed the Microsoft tool but it just reflects the configuration options that the current driver shows. So when my machine was upgraded to Windows 10 1803, I lose the ability to disable 'tapping' etc. FN-F3 circumvents the problem but has to be done every time you boot the system.

Has anyone installed the 19.3.4.184 driver downloaded from the MSI site with 1803 installed? Does that work without problems? Does Microsoft keep trying to replace it?
Thanks,

Mark

wielkafadroma

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #29 on: 13-July-18, 10:50:00 »

Hi. Yes this new MSI driver works correctly with this app.

lachlan.mannTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #30 on: 20-August-18, 01:17:35 »

OK i thought I would post my Solution, since its been working for me.
[–]Qweeerty 2 points 2 months ago

try the Windows Precision Drivers, Dave2D Youtube suggested the trackpad driver's are his favourite.

they are all disable-able in setting AND so much better.... gl

arlithgow

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #31 on: 04-September-18, 17:12:12 »

After a LOT of dicking around with and uninstalling various Synaptics driver versions and the PS/2 compatible mouse driver, Synaptics driver  v. 19.5.31.3 date 2018-07-04 was somehow downloaded , which allowed me to use Fn+F3, though there's still no checkbox in the Properties dialog to disable the touchpad when the external mouse is connected. The Synaptics version available on the support page for my device (GE72VR 6RF) is 19.0.22.4, so I have  no idea where 19.5.31.3 came from. If anyone is interested, I can post the details.

xernon

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #32 on: 15-September-18, 13:34:03 »

Thank you all for this post. I am a gamer so disabling the touchpad is critical for me. I fixed mine by downloading the driver version: v 19.3.4.193.

I did not restore my laptop. I simply went to device manager and reinstalled the touchpad driver I selected.  I am keeping it on my hard drive in case it reverts. It has been 3 days and numerous reboots with hours of play and no issues.

Thanks again to whoever posted that driver.

Peace out,
AncientOne#11659

ryan.itsgotime

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #33 on: 06-April-19, 14:50:28 »

Honestly I think I found a solution that is relatively straight forward and seems to work....at least for me.
There are endless posts about windows 10 pushing driver updates and breaking synaptics touchpad functionality 
rendering it useless or completely dead.  My touch pad was completely unresponsive after I replaced SSD and RAM and
updated windows 10 build to 1809.  At first I thought I had messed something by replacing the SSD and RAM.  I think it is
actually how windows auto pushes drivers and it had detected new hardware and messed up the touchpad smbus and driver.
I have a MSI GL62M 7RDX and here is what seems to work for me very well:

Uninstall anything synaptics apps/programs related in Add or Remove programs in windows (I had to use CCleaner to see them all and uninstalled)
Go to MSI website and download the touchpad drivers for your laptop model
Go to Device manager and open VIEW menu at top and click show hidden devices 
Now look under system devices category and uninstall anything synaptics related (smbus driver)
make sure to check the delete uninstall files box if available (do not restart windows yet)
Now look under mouse and other pointing devices category and uninstall anything synaptics related (touchpad driver - likely greyed out)
make sure to check the delete uninstall files box if available (do not restart windows yet)
NOW TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE with Fn key - have to kill internet so windows won't auto update your drivers
Extract the MSI touchpad drivers you downloaded earlier and run setup
Now restart windows (again make sure no internet connection)
Go to device manager should see synaptics smbus driver under system devices
Now restart Windows again (have to still be in AIRPLANE mode or no internet)
Go to device manager should see synaptics Touchpad device under mouse and other pointers
Restart windows one more time for safety
Now you can turn your internet back on (AIRPLANE mode off)
install synmsidapp from microsoft store

Hopefully that works as well for you as it did me!
GOOD LUCK

Zitter'tan Bewegung

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #34 on: 09-June-19, 21:12:48 »

- Open regedit
- Rename Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics directory to something else.
- Restart computer
- Open regedit
- The Synaptics directory will be back but it will only contain a SynTP directory containing an Install and Touchpad directory
- Select the Touchpad directory
- Set DisableDevice to 1.
- Restart

The touchpad will now be disabled.

You can re-enable it anytime by setting DisableDevice to 0 and restarting.
« Reply #35 on: 09-October-19, 01:30:10 »

I FOUND A SOLUTION !!!!! I have the same problem and nothing seems to fix it.BUT , As a last action I thought of downloading a program to do what we are trying. I now have installed "Touchpad Blocker" and it STOPPED MY TOUCHPAD from working. I can turn it on anytime though. This is my solution guys

WƧI ꓵƨԍʁ Էoʁnw

• MAJOR GENERAL
« Reply #36 on: 09-October-19, 11:14:34 »

I FOUND A SOLUTION !!!!! I have the same problem and nothing seems to fix it.BUT , As a last action I thought of downloading a program to do what we are trying. I now have installed "Touchpad Blocker" and it STOPPED MY TOUCHPAD from working. I can turn it on anytime though. This is my solution guys
You are responding to a post that is over 1 year old.
A solution has been released by Microsoft.

Pages: [1]   Go Up