Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI GT72 VR 6RD Dominator countless issues (WiFi/screen mainly)  (Read 170 times)

nathanworrall94Topic starter

• SERGEANT

Hi, 

Calling out anyone here that owns this particular notebook as I'm at the end of my patience with everything that has gone on with it in the last year and a bit. It's got to the point where I've tried every recommended fix or troubleshooting and to no avail. I'll try to go into as much detail as possible to see if anyone has had similar. Also, before I go into it would people recommend any different MSI options in future if I decide to stick with this brand? Cheers.

1) Killer WiFi problems: now this is one that has been haunting me since day one. For a long time it was just random WiFi cuts at any given point. Not overly common but common enough that I would highlight it as a significant issue that needs solving. This progressed to my main issue with it, which is using OBS on this device. As someone who needs to record/stream content, this has become a huge barrier for me to deal with. Streaming with OBS cuts my WiFi signal off with this device momentarily whilst every other device stays fine. To put this into perspective, my broadband speeds from last tests were around 125mbs download and 20mbs upload. Speeds which should be able to more than handle any form of streaming with OBS. So this is my main gripe, as it's impossible for me to do so without it cutting the signal off or losing several frames during a session. Very unstable.

I have tried checking off power saver in the properties, I've updated drivers to the latest version, I've rolled them back in the past. I've tried using it with the killer suite and I've tried using it with the drivers only. I am currently on power save OFF and drivers only. It is barely any better and still has the OBS issues present. I know it has been noted of Killer issues with this notebook before so I would love to know if anyone out there has actually managed to get it running as it is advertised.

2) Screen dithering/flickering: now this is quite a tricky one to explain as I have no idea what triggers it. I've had Microsoft do remote access troubleshooting on this claiming it should be fixed yet it still comes back at any random given point. This is a terrible occurrence as it makes several apps such as discord flicker in terrible fashion and makes any game run in super slow motion (Yes, I do have all NVIDIA drivers up to date and such). There is actually nothing I can think off that triggers this situation but it is an awful one.

3) WiFi not being available sometimes upon a boot up: there have been times when I've booted the system up and it's not possible to connect to WiFi when booting the system up until I shut down and reboot again. It's another weird situation with no explanation for it. This has also happened with bluetooth a rarer amount of times but it has happened.

In summary I'm just dumbfounded as where to go from here. I can't really afford to allow MSI to (most likely fail) to repair these in house and wait weeks without a PC to use. Getting a credit note refund can take up to or over a month too. Any suggestions or experience in ANY of these issues would be greatly appreciated!

beniaminkobenas

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #1 on: 10-April-18, 22:18:43 »

Follow 
I have got problem with WIFI as well 
I play CS GO and CS GO shows me lost connect and kick me to main page I must reconnect but I must wait 1 minute and then I can connect back to game but my WIFI shows me I am still connect on my network
Guy from Killer network said me you have got 70% signal on 5ghz so How can I lose signal still on 1 minute (still 1 minute) 
youtube doesnt work as well 
sometimes I play full game 45minutes with out kick and sometimes kick me 5 times in 45 minutes

pkoria

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 11-April-18, 09:58:54 »

Hey,

I have the same laptop as well.
I have gone through the same problems as well:
1. When i boot sometimes the  LAN icon shows up and WiFi doesn't connect, have to reboot.
2. Killer, also has a problem.

3. MY MAIN PROBLEM, I CANNOT USE THE LAPTOP WITHOUT THE ADAPTER, I SWITCH OFF THE SOCKET IT GOES OFF. HAVE TO USE THE LAPTOP WITH THE ADAPTER ALWAYS, CAN'T CARRY THE LAPTOP TO THE NEXT ROOM WITHOUT IT GOING OFF. DO YOU GUYS HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS. HAVE UPDATED MY BIOS AND EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE. PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A SOLUTION TO THIS.

This product has a lot problems, and MSI has do something about it.

let me know guys.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 11-April-18, 18:33:33 »

To be honest I want a refund for this but MSI insist on repairing 3 times before they can offer one. Considering how many of you are having problems it leaves me with no confidence at all. This notebook is a sham and a poor excuse of £1,649.00. What options do we have here? The WiFi seems to be a complete write off.

Amaella

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #4 on: 12-April-18, 00:18:25 »

I see you have tried everything already aside from opening the laptop and reseating the wifi chip. Otherwise you can get an intel wifi card for like 20-30 bucks or try to get MSI to fix it. Opening the laptop should not void the warranty, but keep the killer chip for future warranty claims (I heard stories of aftermarket parts being removed during repairs, not necessarily msi but I would still worry)
The battery issue is also probably a loose connector or faulty battery, you cannot do much about that. You can try EC reset (with laptop powered off and cable removed, push a pin into the hole on the underside and hold it for at least 30 seconds). If that does not help, I think rma is the only thing you can do.

PS. I also had issues with wifi freezing, crashing, slowing down to a crawl etc and new router actually solved it despite no other device being affected. The old router just did not cut it for the killer card. Now I have asus ac68u and all is well and flowery and stuff.
MSI GT72VR 6RE: i7-6820HK, GTX 1070

If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy MSI gaming to all!

• SERGEANT
« Reply #5 on: 12-April-18, 15:18:52 »

I don't have battery issues. My router definitely isn't a problem as it's an up to date, 200mbs one and my internet therefore is very efficient to avoid these sorts of issues. I just don't think this particular unit is good to be honest. The backlight bleed, WiFi, amongst other things really leave a sour taste for me and it's a huge shame I have to send this thing off 3 separate times before they can replace it or refund it for me.

pkoria

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 13-April-18, 17:28:54 »

Hey,

Yeah, i had sent a request to the MSI guys for the battery issue and they told me to do the RESET thing and it didn't work, I'll try it again just in case haha. But they told me to take to the nearest Service Center and i stay in Kenya, the nearest one is Saudia Arabia lol. I don'y know what I'll do, but I'll think of something hopefully. 

Thanks. 

Another thing, Yeah may be, this particular laptops have issues or something.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 15-April-18, 19:26:19 »

I'm not happy with it for sure and want to jump over to a different model that I can research better this time. But MSI are making sure it's hard for me to do so with the whole 3 repairs before they can do anything garbage.

pkoria

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 16-April-18, 12:59:59 »

Well, at least, you can do that. I am completely in a different continent and don't know how i'll reach the service center at all. 

Hope, a miracle happens.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #9 on: 16-April-18, 14:55:15 »

There should be a way to send it off to their repair centre. They do it for free, be weird if they didn’t cover for worldwide buyers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up