Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m.2 ssd Key Type for second slot on GS65 Stealth thin 37  (Read 3935 times)

fredTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Searched far and wide, can't find a reference for the second slot in a GS65 Stealth machine.  Anyone know if it is B M or both?

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Searched far and wide, can't find a reference for the second slot in a GS65 Stealth machine.  Anyone know if it is B M or both?

Hi fred,

MSI hasn't updated its storage device document in a while so neither the GS65 8RF or 8RE are in it. However, the specs state that both M.2 SSD ports support PCIe Gen-3. The M key is used for PCIe Gen-3 and the B key is used for PCIe Gen-2. So I would deduce that both your M.2 SSD slots have an M key.

However, I would open the notebook and inspect the slot to confirm it before buying an M.2 SSD for it.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

fredTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

thanks. I had come to that conclusion as well, thanks for substantiating my guesswork.  I knew nothing of nvme  or , m key types...now I know.

take care

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

thanks. I had come to that conclusion as well, thanks for substantiating my guesswork.  I knew nothing of nvme  or , m key types...now I know.

take care

Hi fred,

I'm glad I could help, but we didn't actually discuss NVMe. All I was talking about was M.2 SSD slots and the keys. M.2 can support two interface types for SSDs: SATA and PCIe. The keys have no meaning for SATA---some M.2 SATA SSDs have M keys and some have B keys. Because the M.2 keys don't matter for SATA---except your M.2 SATA SSD needs the correct one to plug into the slot---most manufacturers provide both so they're "universal" and will work with M.2 slots that require either key. That's why you'll see many M.2 SATA SSDs with both notches (called B+M keys). It's only the PCIe interface that places a meaning on the M.2 key.

According to MSI's specs for your GS65, it has one M.2 PCIe SSD slot and one M.2 combo SSD slot. The first one supports only an M.2 PCIe SSD. The second one supports both SATA and PCIe, making it possible to use either type of M.2 SSD with the slot.

Now we come to NVMe. It is not an interface. The only interfaces supported by M.2 for SSDs are SATA and PCIe. So what is NVMe? It's a communication protocol that speeds communication over PCIe interfaces. It is purely optional. Many users and even some marketers speak or write about NVMe as if it is the interface. It is not. PCIe is the interface that it runs on and all NVMe does is accelerate the communication over it. An NVMe driver comes standard with Windows 8.x and 10. An NVMe driver can be added to Windows 7.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

matthewssawyerlia

• PRIVATE E-2

I thought it might make sense to piggy back on this thread for my question. I can confirm that there is an M.2 Sandisk X600 in my GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF. I believe this is a SATA III SSD, and the BIOS is showing it as a SATA device.

My question is this: if I purchased a similarly spec'd PCIe M.2 SSD and loaded that into the second slot, would I be able to RAID these or would I need to replace both with PCIe drives?

masonyang

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

The two PCIe 3.0 SSDs are configured in a RAID 0 array

mike

• PRIVATE E-2

FWIW I replaced the 500GB Kingston SATA M.2 that came with my 8RF with two 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drives. The bugger SCREAMS :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up