Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 〈MSI Exclusive Feature〉Reverse the positions of the Fn and Win keys  (Read 5114 times)

QooldsTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT

Responding to desires from gamers, MSI partners with SteelSeries, the renowned gaming equipment manufacturer, to embed a keyboard especially designed for gamers in MSI gaming notebooks, including GT83/75/63, GS65/73/63, GE73/63, GF72/62, GP73/63, GL73/63 and GV72/62 series.)
Not only is the SteelSeries keyboard more rugged, its exclusive keyboard layout and golden triangle WASD zone also ensure a better gaming experience. The Windows function key has been repositioned to the right side to avoid hitting the key by accidental.

Some of MSI gaming notebooks default layout for the Fn and Win keys is to have the Fn key on the left (between Ctrl and Alt) and the Win key on the right (between AltGr and Ctrl) as shown below.
It's for gamers!! Accidentally hitting the windows key when trying to press Alt or Z or another key, and having the desktop kick gamer out of the game, has cost people matches, even tournaments.
It is useful for those gamers having the FN key on the left,  By changing the position of it, they will not need to worry about being kicked out from the game because of pressing it.

For those people who love to use hotkey combos like Windows + D, they must be confused and annoyed. They may think it's an anti-human design though it is a design to avoid touching windows key when gaming.
Let me show this easy way to swap them both in the bios and new Dragon Center app!

Win / Fn key swap in new Dragon Center app.

MSI new Dragon Center is the official control panel that comes with new MSI gaming notebooks.
The control panel includes several useful features such as System Monitor, System Tuner, gaming mode, Mobile Center and Tool & Help.

As we know, disabling the windows key has been a huge thing that gamers needed for years.
In System Tuner, we can find an option (lower left) to toggle windows key on/off.

Also in switch zone, we can find an option to toggle Windows / Fn key swap.
The Windows function key has been repositioned to the right side to avoid hitting the key while gamers playing.

“Deactivate” function with keyboard by SteelSeries Engine 3.

SteelSeries Engine 3 is a really useful multifunctional tool! It lets you program your keyboard and other peripherals with the minimum time spent.
The interface is simple to use. After selecting the key, you will see many options (symbols, function, command, navigation and others).
It’s great that gamer  can set up different backlighting modes and also adjust the luminance.

In SteelSeries Engine 3, clicking windows Key can call keyboard Editor.
Here we can customize any of the eight programmable buttons, including Macros, Key-presses and Media functions.
Choosing  “Deactivate” function can disable the windows Key when needed.

User may download the latest version of Dragon center and Steel Series Engine 3 driver in MSI official download page.

Win / Fn key swap in bios.

The option of [Win / Fn key swap] will appear in BIOS advanced tab. We can swap [Fn] and [Win] keys by changing this setting to enable and pressing F10 to save and exit.

MSI never stops pursuing gaming innovation and perfection. But for now, here are the best keyboards for 2018, from us and among the market.
Whether you’re planning to get one, or giving it a try at local store/from a friend, we’d like to hear from you for any feedback.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Greetings,

My GT80 2QE Titan is over three years old and it's had this feature from the beginning. And I'm sure the feature goes back before that. So this is nothing new. I can swap the Win and Fn keys in the BIOS. And I can disable the Win key in the Dragon Gaming Center or SteelSeries Engine.

The bigger issue is: Can you swap the key caps? You can on the GT80/83 because they have mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX switches with user-removable key caps. But the keyboards in the GT75/63, GS65/73/63, GE73/63, GF72/62, GP73/63, GL73/63 and GV72/62 do not have these switches and it might not be easy or possible for the user to remove and swap their Win and Fn key caps. And, if you cannot swap the key caps, they won't match the alternate layout. That's a big issue to some of us users.

Therefore, if MSI wants to make this feature more user-friendly, they need to make it so the Win and Fn key caps of all these models can be physically swapped to match the configuration the user chooses. Then MSI will have something to brag about!

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

masonyang

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Replace your MSI gaming laptop keyboard keys with their easy to follow video tutorials!

oktnight

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

To reverse the fn key to win key is minor issue to me since I'm pretty satisfied with the position, but the way to change the key cap looks necessary since sometimes the kids prank makes it not easy to recover
==============================
day dreamer - night worker
born from classic music - keen to pop and creative rhythm
play games in life - life is filled with kinds of games
And, that\'s who I am

cpsoho

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

First time to know this function, it's really interesting.
It's kind of useful, especially for some who just started to use the laptop to play the game.
Lower the chance to touch the windows key to interrupt gameplay.:biggthumbsup:
Thanks for sharing ...

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.

Hi masonyang,

Thanks for posting the videos. They should be very helpful to users. It's good to see that the key caps can be swapped. But I don't think I would recommend these procedures to a novice if they lack technical skills because it looks like the key cap clip is fragile and can be easily broken.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

BlueAlexFPS

• MAJOR

I don't think we need to really change the key cap to switch the function, if it's your own notebook, this function already good enough for personal usage.

Work in Computer Industry
GS73VR GTX1060 as working laptop
GT75VR GTX1080 as home entertainment
PS4 to play NBA2K, MLB The Show & NFS racing games with 27" DELL 4K Display
Love to play FPS games, racing games and NBA/MLB games
Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard and CORSAIR M65 FPS mouse
Dynaudio MC15 sound system in living room
Edifier C3 2.1 channel sound system in computer room

dontask

• STAFF SERGEANT

I didn't even know there was a toggle for the windows key in the dragon center software. 
Thank you for saving my sanity!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gk2377

• CAPTAIN

The swap function of FN and Win keys is very thoughtful, which i never think of it before. Not sure for all the users in the market? I would say I won't need it actually.
But, still thanks MSI to develop this function for users.

alex.cliff

• STAFF SERGEANT

This worked! Thanks you so much!!!

leo98918

• PRIVATE E-2

Just want to say thanks! I knew about the FN/WIN swap option in Dragon Center, and I like the legacy way, WIN key on the left. I ended up swapping the key caps to the positions I prefer, but I would ALWAYS go into Dragon Center to swap their operation upon each boot up. It was becoming annoying having to do this, and I didn't even think to go into the BIOS to PERMANENTLY swap them.

frank.tf.tsai

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

MSI leads its industry in not only hardware excellence but also application innovation.

divine809

• PRIVATE E-2

In general   the WIN key's new position has the added benefits ... no accidental  hitting of win Key .. if I have to change something in MSI keyboard   .. i will like the enter Key to be bigger
Pages: [1]   Go Up