Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook Batteries.  (Read 391 times)

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
Notebook Batteries.
« on: 17-August-18, 10:44:11 »

Lets talk about a touchy subject, battery safety.
What brought me to MSI and the purchase of the GT75 Titan 8RF is the failure of my HP 17-3090NR 3D notebook battery.
I'm happy to see that the GT75 battery is made from 18650 cans and can be rebuilt, unlike the slimline batteries that use pouches, as in the HP ENVY 17-3090NR 3D.

If you have a slimline battery and your notebook swells, such as mine did, do not bring the notebook in your home, or any other place that can cause loss of property or life.

My Envy swelled so bad the touch pad popped off the cover, broke the plastic tabs holding it in place. The service shop did not want the battery in their shop, the owner was willing to put the battery on the parking lot, not in his shop. I didn't even want it in the car with me on the drive home. This pack is not available for purchase anywhere. My HP ENVY 17-3090NR 3D didn't even make it to its end of operating system life, W7.
The good news is, the MSI GT75 Titan's touch pad appears to be a 1 piece integrated into the palm rest, 1 big component.

Anyways, HP Support Forum censored my post there regarding this issue, really bad publicity posting these pictures on their forum, understandably so....
$2300.00 notebook, broken and useless.....
HP=Horrible Products (Horrible People)......
Thanks Meg Whitman.

Unforeseen circumstances aside, if your notebook swells, don't bring it into your home.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #1 on: 17-August-18, 12:02:16 »

I don't think the msi batteries would do this anytime soon at all. I remember I had hp compaq laptop as my first one and the battery totally cut off and died just when it ran out of warranty. It wouldn't charge and it wouldn't power the laptop, just cut off at 30% and died. It was one of the thin removable ones at the back so it didn't swell or anything but I was shocked. My Asus laptop still runs on original battery and it's over 5 years old with the battery inside and mostly plugged in all the time. I treat the msi the same and so did I treat the hp. Only the hp laptop so far failed on me but it could just be due to old technology as it was back in 2010. These days batteries have lots of protection. Just don't drop it on the floor etc.
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070, 16GB ddr4 RAM, Samsung 500GB M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD, 120Hz 1080p screen)
Current:              MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, 16GB ddr4 RAM, Samsung 256GBx2 SSD in RAID 0, 1TB HDD, 120Hz 1080p screen, mechanical RGB keyboard)
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy MSI gaming to all!

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 17-August-18, 15:13:27 »

I build battery packs for eBikes, eSk8, Hover and others as well.
The Li-Ion using the NCA chemistry and the Zirconium Aluminium Anode is the most stable and shock resistant chemistry combination available.
It is however, not the most powerful 18650 battery, the Li-cobalt is the winner, but the most dangerous as well.
The NCA is used by TESLA as its most durable and resistant to vibration/shock, the Li-cobalt (ICR Chemistry) is favored by the vaping community, it basically allows you to dead short the cell to get the vape operating. DONT drop this cell!
Battery chemistry has changed, one thing that hasn't changed is the fact, a pouch and a cell internally are the same thing, just packaged differently. Pouches are used for internal components, cells are removable, BOTH are just as dangerous.

https://batteryuniversity.com/
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/18880255-battery-chemistry-finally-explained
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=9a29b434a01c45e592a70dc8a372c0a9
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/batteries

I build using TESLA cells, and even then, they have gone off on me, its scary especially the issue of Thermal Runaway.
Thermal Runaway is when one cell goes off and the heat produced sets off the next, and the next  ....
There is no way to tell if even a new cell wont ignite, its happened to me during a build. This is a concern with the manufacture that places a consumer item in there home, there is a question of liability.

The battery calibration software included in the MSI GT75 is visibly active, it discharges 10% then recharges to 100%.
This had me concerned, as proper charge conditioning is different for mobility and hobby items from notebooks using the same battery technology.
Storage charge and charge conditioning are 2 different programs. TESLA has theirs doing the same thing recommended on Endless Sphere Forum, and others, using the same 18650 cell in the MSI GT75 Titan.
Battery's are stored energy, a little bomb on a can, treat them as such.

RedAntisocial

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 17-August-18, 16:02:39 »

Battery's are stored energy, a little bomb on a can, treat them as such.

* RedAntisocial moves his notebook from his lap to a nearby table

kshaharudin

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 14-September-18, 08:45:20 »

I have the GS40 Phantom and after over 1 year the battery expanded rendering the trackpad unusable, the laptop unstable on the desk (wouldn't sit flat) and the keyboard bubbled up (which also messed up the backlit keys). The battery and the working HDD was replaced (which was working but apparently damaged) under warranty.
3 months out of it's 2yr warranty and the replacement battery expands damaging the motherboard. Surprisingly MSI replaced both battery and motherboard as a warranty repair (i'm grateful).  So 2 batteries in about 2 years and a new MB and HDD. I think there is a problem.  I don't know but i very doubt i'll buy MSI again. Never had a problem with previous laptops made by Samsung, ASUS, Lenovo, HP or Dell. All of which i still own and still run.

preplaycj

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 14-September-18, 14:37:53 »

My GS43VR with metal case start to swell up when my battery started to expand, the keyboard got so hot when I closed the lid it left images on the laptop screen, I already sent it in for RMA they replaced the battery, and case. Sadly techs caused an issue with my fans and internal hardware. I got my laptop back from MSI RMA only to have it BSOD, Vibrate, and make a whining noise 2 RMA's later im still waiting for them to fix a problem they created

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #6 on: 14-September-18, 17:24:44 »

I don't think the msi batteries would do this anytime soon at all.

Got a Li-Po pack in your 'Thin' notebook?,  it IS susceptible to this DANGEROUS problem!
Cans have a vent, pouches blister, I will never again buy a thin notebook because of this 1 issue.
Cans on the other hand will take off like a rocket.

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/laptop-explosion-caught-security-camera-45275096
https://youtu.be/pizFsY0yjss
https://youtu.be/V482lvMRXUg?t=1m37s
https://youtu.be/pizFsY0yjss

All brands of notebooks are susceptible to fire, ANY product that has rechargeable batteries in it is susceptible to fire.
If your batter swells, DON'T BRING IT IN YOUR HOME/GARAGE/OUT BUILDINGS OR ANY PLACE IT COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF PROPERTY OR LIFE.

When I'm building battery packs, I keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
When charging for the 1st time after a build, I do it in a used, cleaned out, BBQ.
When charging questionable packs that I have done service/maintenance I do it in a old, cleaned out BBQ.
So go ahead and keep a fire extinguisher in the same room as your notebook, it seems to be happening all to frequently these days.

@ Amaella ... Still want to be argumentative .... READ THE ABOVE 2 POSTS .....

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #7 on: 14-September-18, 17:32:40 »

I have the GS40 Phantom
battery expanded rendering the trackpad unusable,
the laptop unstable on the desk (wouldn't sit flat)
the keyboard bubbled up (which also messed up the backlit keys).  

I don't know but i very doubt i'll buy MSI again.
Never had a problem with previous laptops made by Samsung, ASUS, Lenovo, HP or Dell. All of which i still own and still run.

Mine was HP, and there is a big issue with DELL now, ANY battery is susceptible to this.
I'm just keeping away from 'Thin' notebooks that use pouches, this is why I bought the GT75, battery pack uses cans....and Cooling!

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #8 on: 14-September-18, 17:48:51 »

My GS43VR with metal case start to swell up when my battery started to expand,
the keyboard got so hot when I closed the lid it left images on the laptop screen,
sent it in for RMA they replaced the battery, and case.
techs caused an issue with my fans and internal hardware. I got my laptop back from MSI RMA only to have it BSOD,
Your going to end up with a refurbished or new notebook, 3rd time in and it gets replaced.
They probably will swap out your drives, or in my case told me to pull my drives and return the old notebook for the exchanged unit.
Got a bunch of extra drives, 1 with the OS on it because of this exchange.....

Pouches swell cans vent, it doesn't matter which one, if it starts a chain reaction and does 'Thermal Runaway' ... there's going to be a fire.

preplaycj

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #9 on: 14-September-18, 20:51:48 »

Your going to end up with a refurbished or new notebook, 3rd time in and it gets replaced.
They probably will swap out your drives, or in my case told me to pull my drives and return the old notebook for the exchanged unit.
Got a bunch of extra drives, 1 with the OS on it because of this exchange.....

I called and asked about this, there (Technical Service Manager) told me that I will have to keep sending it in, and continue till its fixed they dont offer exchanges or the sort

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #10 on: 15-September-18, 02:35:49 »

I called and asked about this, there (Technical Service Manager) told me that I will have to keep sending it in, and continue till its fixed they dont offer exchanges or the sort
Warranty repair milking by your service center ..... Every time you send it in they make money off of MSI.
MSI must have a huge profit margin and they can throw good money after bad.
HP on the other hand, fix it twice, 3rd time in its replaced.
Unfortunately with warranty repair milking you are victimised, they will have it more than you in the 1st year.
I've been through it several times, its not fair.
But look at it this way, you COULD eventually end up with a complete new notebook, 1 part at a time.......

preplaycj

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #11 on: 17-September-18, 15:15:51 »

Warranty repair milking by your service center ..... Every time you send it in they make money off of MSI.
MSI must have a huge profit margin and they can throw good money after bad.
HP on the other hand, fix it twice, 3rd time in its replaced.
Unfortunately with warranty repair milking you are victimised, they will have it more than you in the 1st year.
I've been through it several times, its not fair.
But look at it this way, you COULD eventually end up with a complete new notebook, 1 part at a time.......

Well I get it back today lets see if it BSOD 8 times in a row at startup, or if the fans are vibrating horribly. If not I got a Hot new Item for eBay/craigslist to help go toward my next laptop.

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #12 on: 17-September-18, 20:23:06 »

Well I get it back today lets see if it BSOD 8 times in a row at startup, or if the fans are vibrating horribly. If not I got a Hot new Item for eBay/craigslist to help go toward my next laptop.
Well ... I suppose.
Ever take a car into the dealership 2 months before the warranty is up, and have a final inspection?
The repair list that was given to me was 2 pages long! .... The GM dealership pretty much built me a new car!
Warranty milking, they make more than a living off of it.

preplaycj

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 18-September-18, 18:39:18 »

Well ... I suppose.
Ever take a car into the dealership 2 months before the warranty is up, and have a final inspection?
The repair list that was given to me was 2 pages long! .... The GM dealership pretty much built me a new car!
Warranty milking, they make more than a living off of it.
SO there going to replace everything only for me to end up with same problems a year from now no thx id rather sale the POS msi laptop pay little more and get something decent. I have yet to find positive reviews for new MSI products, the only thing I keep seeing recur is poor build quality, battery issues, keyboard problems, driver incompatibility, flimsy cheap plastics, ect. I'm good no thank you. I am paying over 1000$ for something id expect it to last longer than a year....hell longer than 4 months.

MichaelT.Topic starter

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #14 on: 18-September-18, 22:11:11 »

SO there going to replace everything only for me to end up with same problems a year from now no thx id rather sale the POS msi laptop pay little more and get something decent. I have yet to find positive reviews for new MSI products, the only thing I keep seeing recur is poor build quality, battery issues, keyboard problems, driver incompatibility, flimsy cheap plastics, ect. I'm good no thank you. I am paying over 1000$ for something id expect it to last longer than a year....hell longer than 4 months.
Your just as PO as me when HP had my notebook for 14 of the 24 months warranty.
HP had it in their possession more than me within the warranty period.
For me, never HP (Horrible People, Horrible Products) again.

yo
Pages: [1]   Go Up