Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI CUBI N 8GL dead after BIOS update  (Read 820 times)

elmeunick9Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
MSI CUBI N 8GL dead after BIOS update
« on: 31-August-18, 13:28:01 »

I just bought two MSI Cubi N 8GL-001BEU BN4000XX.The first one had a corrupted bios (I did nothing) version 800. The problem was that only the logo of MSI showed. You could enter the BIOS but all boot options would fail (with no error messages ever, nowhere). After installing the update 820 (recommended in the product page), everything was fixed.

Now with this second PC, exact same model, same bios version, everything worked fine (on version 800). So, for consistency reasons, I decided to install the update to 820 anyway. It failed. Badly. I left the computer when the update was at 50%, when I returned the screen was showing the "no signal" message. After waiting for a good amount of time I tried anything but the screen was still showing no signal. I pressed the power button and nothing, the cubi would not turn off. After pressing the power button for about 5 seconds, the cubi resets (instead of turning off). I tried HDMI, nothing. I can't enter the bios anymore.

Any ideas? Should I abandon hope and buy something else?

UPDATE
I tried to put the RAM of the PC that works on the one that doesn't and it fixed it. So, either the BIOS version 800 was running without RAM (not really possible, is it?) or the update fixes compatibility with one RAM stick while breaking the other. RAM are not same product but they do have the same specifications (almost):
Stick1 (works on 800):  G.Skill Ripjaws SO-DIMM DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 4GB CL16 (1.2v)
Stick2 (works on 820): Transcend JetRam SODIMM DDR4 2400 4GB CL17 (1.2v)

So now, either I have to downgrade the bios (it is even possible?) or mess the configs to see if it can work with the RAM stick 1. Any help?

elmeunick9Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: MSI CUBI N 8GL dead after BIOS update
« Reply #1 on: 31-August-18, 16:33:01 »

UPDATE 2
Okey, forget about the BIOS incompatibilities. It rather looks like the update fried my RAM. Makes much more sense. Thanks MSI: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=271818.0

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 31-August-18, 17:05:26 »

if you have a failed bios update,
RMA it to get it fixed.

elmeunick9Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 31-August-18, 17:19:25 »

you mean the cubi is booting fine if you replace the memory stick with another one?

elmeunick9Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 31-August-18, 17:25:40 »

Yes. Was booting fine before the update with the stick that now doesn't work. Works fine now after the update if I replace the stick. If I put the stick that now doesn't work on the other PC it shows same symptoms (no display). Looks like the RAM was destroyed on the update.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 31-August-18, 17:26:54 »

you can try flashing to 810 BIOS:
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/EB171IMS.810.zip

to see if that particular ram would be compatible with that version

elmeunick9Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 31-August-18, 17:31:14 »

Well, if it's in fact a compatibility problem downgrading could help. However if it's caused by the update killing the RAM stick there is a chance that downgrading kills the other stick (that I need in order to enter the BIOS). I'm not willing to risk frying my working RAM stick, so I'll rather buy a new one (or try backing the fried one to see if that helps).

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 31-August-18, 20:11:44 »

Well, if it's in fact a compatibility problem downgrading could help. 

based on the facts that you said, must be this.

However if it's caused by the update killing the RAM stick there is a chance that downgrading kills the other stick (that I need in order to enter the BIOS). I'm not willing to risk frying my working RAM stick, so I'll rather buy a new one (or try backing the fried one to see if that helps).

doubt that any damages are done to the hardware from the BIOS update versions switching.
you can test the "dead" stick somewhere else and it should works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up