Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.

Poll

Would you like to see the smart fan control limits removed when OC RAM above 2900 or Game Boost is used?

Yes
No
Don't Care

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI MEG CREATION X399 - Few Issues with Current Release BIOS  (Read 12210 times)

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT

Hello,

I have completed a new build based on the 2950X and MSI MEG Creation board (Beautiful board btw). System Specs are as follows:

MSI Meg Creation X399
Threadripper 2950X
G.Skill TridentZ 4 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 CL4 (Kit variety that is certified for AMD)
EVGA 1080 Ti

I am on the latest release BIOS 7B92v11 and there are a few issues I am seeing out of the gate.
- Wake from sleep results in E1 code and never wakes.
- Any modification to BIOS results in the BIOS wanting to disable Smart Fan control. This is problematic as I am setting a custom fan curve for my system fans as well as my PWM pump. So on every edit/save, I need to go an reenable smart fan to get the curve again.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

have you tried to >>Clear CMOS Guide<< and retest?

P.S:
If problem persist, here is .124 BIOS if you want to try:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qeixg65eath6yq2/E7B92AMS.124.rar/file

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
Re: MSI MEG CREATION X399 - Few Issues with Current Release BIOS
« Reply #2 on: 10-September-18, 09:05:44 »

Thank you Svet! Yes, prior to opening this thread I tried to clear CMOS ( a few times), as well as dropping back to the original .10 BIOS (followed by a clear CMOS), with same results.

I will test the 124 BIOS later this evening once I am home, and will keep my fingers crossed. I will also update here to let you know my findings.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 10-September-18, 13:40:38 »

vybrmook, sounds like the fan issues are UEFI related, but the wake issue may well be a driver issue.  Please make sure you get the chip set driver from AMD Driver site.  In fact, I recommend you get all drivers from the manufacturers not MSI unless they specify you must.  BTW I do no work for MSI but think Svet does.  I do not currently have an MSI MB but am here to learn.  After you install the latest AMD chip set drivers, please check your power plan and make sure it is set to Ryzen Balanced.  I have an X339 MB with a 1950X and just solved a wake problem by installing the latest AMD chip set driver.  Please let us hear what you learn.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.130, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 10-September-18, 14:27:05 »

Good thought! Too bad I had the same already :-) all my main drivers (chipset, lan, wifi, bluetooth) are all directly from the vendor. We are on the same page there.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 10-September-18, 14:42:00 »

Thanks, vybrmook.  Are you using the Ryzen Balanced power plan?  Enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 10-September-18, 20:07:56 »

Updated and still noticing the same issues that even the smallest changes in UEFI are triggering the fan to switch from smart to disabled.

- Go into UEFI
- Go to Hardware Monitor Section
- Enable Smart fan for some devices (CPU, SYS, and PUMP)
- Set curves and save (F10)

Reboot

- Go into UEFI
- Go to Hardware Monitor Section
- Notice all devices are not set to NOT have smart enabled.

john.k.torset

• CORPORAL

I have same problem with the fan setting as OP. Bios 1.24 did not solve the issue.
Waiting on MSI to solve the fan issue. Strangely enough I had a similar fan problem with my Asus Prime bord for my 1950X.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 11-September-18, 09:55:15 »

I have a support ticket opened with MSI as well. But so far the only advice given there was:

"Enable Smart fan for some devices (CPU, SYS, and PUMP) - do not Set curves and save (F10) and then save and exit"

To which I responded:

Enabling Smart IS enabling the ability to use a PWM curve. Enabling Smart but not using the curve defeats the point? When this happens, CPU and PUMP are the two that default to being smart disabled. SYS fan stays with smart enabled.

Haven't heard anything else back yet.

lowdog

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #9 on: 11-September-18, 20:30:09 »

Yes there is a PROBLEM with the official bios v11, actually there are a few problems and failure to wake from sleep is one of them, only fix is a new bios. I brought this issue to MSI 
's attention weeks ago and they sent me a beta bios 123 that fixed the issue. An amended official bios will be released soon hopefully but I don't know when unfortunately.

I would contact NSI Tech and explain the sleep issue your having and ask for the latest beta bios.....IT IS WAY BETTER than all the other bios for this board to date. Good Luck!
MSI MEG X399 Creation
TR4 2950X + Vega 64 Custom WC
4 x 16GB G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3066MHz XMP + safe timings
Intel 240MB SSD + Intel 2 x 1TB M.2 NVMe 6 series + Intel 1TB M.2 SSD 5 series
Silverstone 1500W

lowdog

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #10 on: 11-September-18, 20:44:08 »

@Svet

Didn't see that you had linked to 124 bios....you are a legend!!! lol

Great to see that you have given MEG users the opportunity to use the latest beta bios from MSI, good stuff! :biggthumbsup:

@cybrnook

Didn't the124 bios fix your wake from sleep issues, the system should be able to wake from sleep fine with that bios. Did you try that yet????
MSI MEG X399 Creation
Silverstone 1500W

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #11 on: 12-September-18, 19:19:31 »

Unfortunately both issues still exist. Smart fan in BIOS keeps resetting back to non-smart just by going into BIOS and then monitoring section, and PC still does not wake from sleep, E1 code.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #12 on: 12-September-18, 20:01:13 »

cybrnook, is the E1 code a Dr.Debug code?  That is a"S3 Resume Progress Codes" and it means" 0xE1 S3 Boot Script execution".   I have had lots of Sleep and Wake problems but never one with a code like this.  I do not think you every said what Power Plan you were using.  This may be old ground, but please make sure you have the latest Chip Set drivers DLed from AMD and are running the Ryzen Balanced plan.  Have you altered the power plan at all?  Enjoy, John.

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

try this new bios .125 for S3 issue
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W0KgwzjbVOLYga9RD-tZQ213xLvRNGkQ/view?usp=sharing

For fan speed, when game boost is enabled or overclock memory above 2900Mhz, 
BIOS will automatically change CPU/PUMP fan to non-smart fan mode.
If you want to use smart fan mode while overclocking,
then please change OC settings in BIOS, change fan mode in BIOS, save and exit and do not go back to BIOS.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 13-September-18, 08:09:29 »

@jhchris2, yes latest vendor drivers. We already talked about that in post #4 :-) and yes AMD power plan (default)

@Svet, thank you very much, I will test the wake from sleep this evening when I get home and will report back promptly.

For the smart fan curves (giving you a custom fan curve defined by user), wouldn't this be counter intuitive for someone who wants to overclock? If I am going to the extent to OC, the same user likely wants to manually control their fan and pump speeds as well. I would think that the monitoring section should respect the users wishes instead of defaulting to the standard setting by even just going back into the BIOS and looking at the monitor settings. That to me does not seem like something by design.

"do not go back to BIOS" Half the fun is going into the BIOS and playing around, especially on a board that is made for overclocking :-) This adds a silly, unnecessary and redundant step each time I want to adjust my boot order for example, or maybe I want to adjust PBO levels.

bubliy.photographer

• PRIVATE E-2

Hey.
I can not show people a normal overview of this board, every reboot requires setting up all the fans again. That's horrible.
The second problem is the total memory instability over 3266 MHz. After the M7, which worked stably with the 3733CL14 it's a shock. I spent 3 days to make the system stable and I did not succeed
+ why did you hide PBS/CBS menu????

p.s. I'm a developer of Ryzen DRAM Calculator

lowdog

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #16 on: 13-September-18, 16:01:08 »

@cybernook

One thing I can't understand is if someone is water cooling as I do why on earth would you want to let the bios control your pumps speed, this is ridiculous and only leads to problems as is often the case when the bios fails and decides to turn off the pump. Yes this is a common problem!.

Water cooling pump is best left connected to PSU at a set speed simple as that.

Also @ Svet - thanks for the new 125 bios :biggthumbsup:
MSI MEG X399 Creation
Silverstone 1500W

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 13-September-18, 19:02:30 »

It's a big world out there lowdog, and the market offers many different options. My personal pump is PWM controlled (DDC 3 2), so it's a critical "selling point" for me that my motherboard has a PWM pump header. Keep in mind this also affects the PWM fan headers not just the pump (which most AIO's use as well). I am not excited at the thought of either running my pump and fans at %100 or having to install an additional fan controller when my $500 motherboard is built to do this already. Which you have to admit a board of this caliber that cannot remember your PWM settings is just silly. The market has spoken since Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc.... all offer this these days, but your opinion is noted.

@Svet, I can confirm that my PC is waking from sleep now, so great job to you and the BIOS team. Just need to make sure personalized monitoring settings remain persistent now and I will be out of negatives.

I will test for the next day or two to make sure the PC continues to wake from sleep as expected, and report back.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #18 on: 14-September-18, 10:25:01 »

Great, cybrnook!  Thanks for posting really good news.  I apologize for my redundant posts.  Enjoy, John.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 14-September-18, 13:34:38 »

Great, cybrnook!  Thanks for posting really good news.  I apologize for my redundant posts.  Enjoy, John.
Absolutely!

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #20 on: 15-September-18, 08:52:20 »

@Svet

Can you answer why the decision was made to put this in place:

For fan speed, when game boost is enabled or overclock memory above 2900Mhz, BIOS will automatically change CPU/PUMP fan to non-smart fan mode. If you want to use smart fan mode while overclocking, then please change OC settings in BIOS, change fan mode in BIOS, save and exit and do not go back to BIOS. 

And why Memory at 2900? This is an odd number, cutoff should be 2933. There are no memory kits that comes with profile of 2900.

eleventy

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #21 on: 15-September-18, 10:33:55 »

So that explains why my CPU fan keeps resetting to non-smart mode.

It might have been a design decision, but IMO it was an incorrect one.  A better idea would be to show a warning message.

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #22 on: 16-September-18, 20:45:28 »

Hi there,

just finished a build of my MSI MEG x399 + 2990WX with massive water loop capable of 1400W heat dissipation. Needless to say, I need extremely little in way of fan speed.
So I was quite suprised how many hours of thinking I am going crazy or the bios is playing games with me I find all the threads about this "feature" making overclocked memory (2933 in my case) reset Smart Fan Speed control.

I believe this is extremely strange decision...both because this is professional and high-end board, so every user will know how to set it to its best settings. Right now simply booting in bios completely overrides my own settings by turning Fan control off and putting some arbitrary behavior (quite often...jet engine of full RPM on fans).

Trying to desperately turn it all on (overclocked memory, overclocked cpu, smart fan control + custom curves) it will frequently boot into "06" Q-Code requiring restart....which as you guessed :- ) turns the fan control back off (sometimes even the PWM)

Right now I got it stable running with fan control...except I can't boot into uefi without resetting it. So my 580 Euro board on 5k euro workstation is "set it and don't touch" :- ). This is not what I expected...

I've sent support ticket for this, but wanted to bump this thread so it gets more recognition. I consider this to be very serious issue.

Best regards,
Juraj

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #23 on: 17-September-18, 08:06:33 »

I believe this is extremely strange decision...both because this is professional and high-end board, so every user will know how to set it to its best settings. Right now simply booting in bios completely overrides my own settings by turning Fan control off and putting some arbitrary behavior (quite often...jet engine of full RPM on fans).

I've sent support ticket for this, but wanted to bump this thread so it gets more recognition. I consider this to be very serious issue.
Agreed %100

I also have a support ticket which I am asking the same questions. My last response was on Saturday, so hope to hear back this week.

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #24 on: 17-September-18, 13:30:07 »

Well, received the same answer. Basically they try to "save the user from themselves". Will ask again at least for reconsidering this behavior with additional option to turn it off. I mean...it's called "Expert" mode in UEFI for a reason.

Official reply: "

For fan speed, there are two options in BIOS that will change your CPU/PUMP fan speed to non-smart mode. 1. GameBoost 2. When memory frequency is over 2900MHz The reason of that is we want to keep CPU temperature low while overclocking, otherwise the system would become unstable. If user wants to set custom fan curve while overclocking, please adjust the fan curve in BIOS, save & exit and do not go back to BIOS. Boot straight to OS so BIOS will not check GameBoost or memory frequency to force CPU/PUMP fan back to non-smart fan mode.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 17-September-18, 13:42:53 »

It's so silly...... and I am quite disappointed in this, like you. Plus, why 2900? Why not at least 2933 which is a realistic memory profile. 2900 cutoff realistically means 2666 if we stick to memory profiles vs manual overclocks.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #26 on: 20-September-18, 09:17:48 »

Just want to add, wake from sleep is fixed on 125.

Still have a ticket open, waiting to hear on a fix for the smart fan issues. Info was forwarded to BIOS team.

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #27 on: 22-September-18, 12:31:23 »

Anyone has trouble with booting to "0b" (I presume it's 0B as there is no 06 Q-code). It's "Cache initiatialization".

Happens on random, but only turning on/off power (at wall not through restart) will fix it. Once in Windows it's stable under any load, no crashes anything. But if I restart PC, it will occasionally do this.

Funny thing is, only restart triggers this, shut down and start not.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

The American Megatrends document here shows definitions for both 06 and 0D:
0x06 Microcode loading
0x0D Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes
Enjoy, John.

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #29 on: 22-September-18, 18:15:40 »

Would be nice if the next public bios was here rather sooner than late. ETA would be welcome too..

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #30 on: 23-September-18, 04:48:05 »

OK, so the 06 microcode booting issue seems to be connected with the  KB4100347 patch. Having it installed it capped my turbos severely on default from 4.0 to 3.4Ghz for single core !
That is Cinebench R15 170 to 144 score. Brutal.

Uninstalling doesn't help. Will try to get rid of trustedisntaller so I can try replacing the mcupdate dlls. Edit: Nope, doesn't work.

Anyway, I absolutely hate this board. I am building PCs for past 10 years, workstations, server class,etc.. never had this sort of issues yet. 60perc. of time it boots into 06 Q-Code. I have no idea what it has issue with. 
I think it's time to return this board, last UEFI update was 6 weeks ago, how is this support for new product ?

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #31 on: 23-September-18, 08:08:46 »

Haven't seen that issue. Looking at the KB, it seems more the microcode adding additional updates for Intel Broadwell and Skylake series chips, so you would think you should be unaffected being on an AMD platform.

One thing that is recommended that may help you, is to make sure you disable fast start (as seemingly recommended by AMD in their Master software):

https://download.amd.com/documents/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-and-AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

"Note that Windows® 10 must be configured in the Power Options to disable fast startup when the chassis power button is pressed to turn the system on. Make sure the box is unchecked for “Turn on fast startup”"

You are using the v125 UEFI linked in this thread, which has some wake from sleep work done? Or still using the public release?

kataphract

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #32 on: 23-September-18, 10:31:14 »

Hi Cybrnook,

thank you much for your quick answers ! I am glad to chat at least with someone about this. Super niche product, almost to talk about it anywhere to get help.

I am also confused about the patch since it shouldn't affect AMD (and only install itself into windows in case CPU is switched in future), but it obviously did cut the overclocks for whatever strange reasons.
I can't get it back.

Will check the start-up but I don't think I have it on unless it was on by default. EDIT: Strangely, it was on. Turned it off, let's see.

I am still on public uefi, sent ticket today to see if I could get info about beta bios or ETA for release.

EDIT1: Installing the beta bios (1.25) fixed the turbos. Single-core goes again to 4.0+ at default. Let's see if the 06 and CE (or EC, forgot) cold boot fail start is fixed.
EDIT2: Well...so far so good ! 5 restarts and cold boot starts and no issues. I am little bit afraid to go to bios now as I fear setting smart fan for pump (by default it kicks again to 5000 rpms...thanks MSI) will start boot issues again.
EDIT3: So far more than 10+ restarts and boot ups, no issues. Set smart fan at least for pump... no issues. Loaded XMP profile for rams OC, no issues. Would love to set PBO to 550W...but I am afraid after the previous issues. I will wait for at least few rounds of bios updates.

Even this beta should be immediately published. The board is total mess out of the box without it.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #33 on: 23-September-18, 15:21:43 »

Glad to hear it buddy, and yes I agree as well there is a much needed BIOS update to the public. Just need to get the damned fans fixed and then I'm a happy camper. Boards been pretty good otherwise.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #34 on: 26-September-18, 03:05:20 »

@Svet, tried this 125 bios and got a BIOS loop. Runs through a couple codes and then it shuts down PSU and restarts. Tried Flash BIOS to same version and clearing CMOS and same error. Had to downgrade to 124 via Flash BIOS and that one posts OK.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #35 on: 26-September-18, 19:15:33 »

What CPU and what memory configuration? I'm sure you cleared cmos before throwing in the towel?

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #36 on: 26-September-18, 21:06:08 »

Sorry, I see you mentioned clearing cmos.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #37 on: 27-September-18, 01:00:12 »

2990WX Memory: 2x kits of CMW32GX4M4C3600C18

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #38 on: 27-September-18, 05:16:57 »

Dropped memory from 8 dimms to 4 dimms and it posted with v125. So it doesn't seem to like 8 sticks of RAM

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #39 on: 27-September-18, 09:02:27 »

Good to hear sir. I personally am running 4 x at 3200, so I did not hit this scenario. Since it's not posting for you, then you don't have an issue where you're setting XMP/AMP profiles first or something, and then it's not starting, right?

I don't see that memory on the QVL btw. Did you check that before buying?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #40 on: 27-September-18, 09:30:37 »

When using 2x4 sticks of memory, each memory bus has two sticks connected and thus two loads.  This doubles the rank of the setup and slows the bus.  This would at least require some tuning and may including a reduction in speed.  Enjoy, John.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #41 on: 27-September-18, 10:27:39 »

I did not, but it has been working without a hitch with BIOS 1.1, 1.22 in both 8x and 4x configuration. Of course, when 8x, only at 3000MHz

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #42 on: 27-September-18, 14:13:00 »

Perhaps AGESA was updated in 125.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #43 on: 03-October-18, 02:04:56 »

Highly doubt. 1.25 is just really buggy. 1.22 is still the most stable for me.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #44 on: 03-October-18, 12:50:40 »

Outside of my gripe with the blanket call for CPU and PUMP to shoot up when actually "using" the board, I don't really have any complaints on 125.

Did you run into anything new while on 125?

blub

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #45 on: 04-October-18, 10:36:40 »

Hi

Long time reader, no poster yet.

The 125 BIOS works. Standby S5 still isn't really working for me as Windows boots from hibernation/fallback mode.

The main issue I have is the fan control:
If I set fan curves for 5 or more fans I WANT THE FAN CURVES TO STAY ACTIVE.
Sorry for the caps lock. But really, anybody who goes through the trouble to set so many fan curves wants them to be working and not re-enable them after every reboot.
A warning pop up or a limit setting the fans too 100% at CPU temp 80 or 85 is fine - but disabling the smart fan after a reboot is a major pain!

It would be nice to save and load a fan profile under Windows via the Command-Center - I am not talking about fan curves for CPU and system separately the way it seems to be working now.
I am talking about a GUI option where I can enter a fan curve name like "silent 1" and then I save and reload the current fan curves for all fans in my system - just like the way Asus AISuite works

just my 2c

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #46 on: 04-October-18, 15:37:27 »

Outside of my gripe with the blanket call for CPU and PUMP to shoot up when actually "using" the board, I don't really have any complaints on 125.

Did you run into anything new while on 125?

Nope. Nothing new.

For me, 1.25 is horrible with RAM.
I am also chasing some issues with RAID but that appears to be an AMD driver issue.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #47 on: 04-October-18, 22:26:21 »

@svet had a failed wake from sleep today. Updated to 1809 last night, then slept. Today, woke up, it attempted to wake, then rebooted. All without waking the screen up.

cybrnookTopic starter

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #48 on: 06-October-18, 08:59:16 »

@Svet same issue again today, wake from sleep is not working again under windows 1809. System attempts to wake up, hangs, and then reboots.

john.k.torset

• CORPORAL
« Reply #49 on: 08-October-18, 02:15:27 »

What is the latest beta bios and change log? I am still waiting for an upgrade that will make my ram fully stable @ 3200 MT/s. I am currently running my ram @ 3000 MT/s CL14.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up