Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GV62 8RD-200 constant problems  (Read 593 times)

iltridente1Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
GV62 8RD-200 constant problems
« on: 09-September-18, 17:06:44 »

Basically, every time I open the thing up, there's a really, really good chance I'll have a significant problem.  Dead screen, FREQUENT scan/repair disk messages on wake up, etc.  On and on.  I've already had to do a system restore on this thing twice within the first weeks of having it.

The new thing is it gives me the windows login screen, but when I tap to enter the login password, the screen goes gray, but the login box never appears.  As with most other incidents with this laptop, none of the $%^& utilities work - all of them fail, cannot execute, etc.  You shouldn't be faced with doing a system restore every week on any computer, much less one that is a month old and purports to be from a quality brand.

So what I have now is a one month old $800 digital photo frame that shows me a nice image of a mountain.  This has to stop.

Why does this new laptop CONTINUALLY have system issues from just being closed and re-opened?  And how do I get out of this current situation now that I can't log into the machine, and none of the diagnostic/troubleshooting/repair utilities work?

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #1 on: 09-September-18, 17:28:42 »

FREQUENT scan/repair disk messages on wake up, etc.
Aperas to be HDD/SSD issues, warranty the notebook.
You will need a new M.2 drive with the recovery partitions (I'm assuming that's where the OS is).
Make sure its a NVMe drive, not a SATA III.

iltridente1Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 09-September-18, 17:41:29 »

That's what I thought.  I'll contact MSi on Monday.

What's sad is this is the second one.  The first one died 24 hours after unboxing.  Fortunately, I was able to return that one straight away.  What's the deal with these machines?  This was my first MSi purchase, and I'm obviously not impressed.

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #3 on: 09-September-18, 18:04:19 »

That's what I thought.  I'll contact MSi on Monday.

What's sad is this is the second one.  The first one died 24 hours after unboxing.  Fortunately, I was able to return that one straight away.  What's the deal with these machines?  This was my first MSi purchase, and I'm obviously not impressed.
You may have a motherboard issue causing SSD failures.
Third time, RMA and replace the notebook.
Just bad luck here, possibly it was assembled on a Friday @ 3:30pm.

thefurriestzorua

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 09-September-18, 19:39:43 »

You're not alone here, I have the same laptop and I'm about to ship it back for RMA. Clearly something is wrong with the hard drive they're putting inside these laptops

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 09-September-18, 19:49:00 »

You're not alone here, I have the same laptop and I'm about to ship it back for RMA. Clearly something is wrong with the hard drive they're putting inside these laptops
BONKERS! .... You too?!  
Generally I would use the abbreviation for 'Way To Fast' ... (:censored:) ... But the language filter thinks its actually 'What The F**K', Not Way To Fast.....?
msi promotion :censored:

iltridente1Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 09-September-18, 20:04:07 »

If they're using just an SSD, I've heard that's not a good idea as a stand-alone drive OR a place to put the OS.  The two computers I built for my kids (a laptop and gaming desktop) both use hybrid setups with Windows living on the regular drive.  No issues in 6 months with two knuckle-headed teens abusing them.  But I can't get more than a day or two out of this MSi without some major fault.

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #7 on: 09-September-18, 20:51:44 »

If they're using just an SSD, I've heard that's not a good idea as a stand-alone drive OR a place to put the OS.  The two computers I built for my kids (a laptop and gaming desktop) both use hybrid setups with Windows living on the regular drive.  No issues in 6 months with two knuckle-headed teens abusing them.  But I can't get more than a day or two out of this MSi without some major fault.
It is not recommended to mount your game to the OS, or any partition that is on the OS Drive.
You PC needs to do its job, not game, this is for another drive.
Read your game instructions.

NOTE: Some argue with SSD's it isn't necessary, but it is a fact games wear out an SSD quicker than an OS would.

Amaella

• MAJOR
« Reply #8 on: 09-September-18, 23:51:44 »

All of these concerns about ssds are exaggerated... my bf uses a single samsung 850 evo (sata 2.5 inch ssd) with 250GB capacity and has EVERYTHING on it - OS, games, programs, data. Has been using it daily for past 4 years without an issue. It used to be in his old amd PC, now it moved to his new i7 pc. I personally own 3 samsung ssds at this moment (my raid 0 and another 850 evo). I do admit that I only have experience with samsung ssds so other brands might offer different life expectacies or performance.
In fact I would never install windows 10 on a hdd as modern antivirus would just totally buldoze the system, making it freeze periodically - I have been there.
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktop:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #9 on: 10-September-18, 02:43:17 »

^^ Argumentative, aint she?! ^^
And I will repeat myself .... "NOTE: Some argue with SSD's it isn't necessary, but it is a fact games wear out an SSD quicker than an OS would"
In fact, my SATA III SSD that I did keep my games on took 20% wear in 3 years.
I didn't over provision drive, this is my fault, just keep in mind not to go over 90% capacity on any SSD.
A similar SSD, in the same notebook, that only had my OS on it took 2% wear.

thefurriestzorua

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 11-September-18, 06:39:33 »

If they're using just an SSD, I've heard that's not a good idea as a stand-alone drive OR a place to put the OS.  The two computers I built for my kids (a laptop and gaming desktop) both use hybrid setups with Windows living on the regular drive.  No issues in 6 months with two knuckle-headed teens abusing them.  But I can't get more than a day or two out of this MSi without some major fault.

Nah not just an SSD, it's an Optane / hard drive setup they have. Ordered a new 128gb SSD for my os, in case I have any more issues when I get my laptop back from MSI, can't be too careful
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MichaelT.

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #11 on: 11-September-18, 12:35:04 »

it's an Optane
Optain was an attempt to make a HiBird drive such as the Seagate Momentus XT SSHD: Momentus XT Drive – Extreme Hybrid-Drive
Optain, it is a, FAIL, on the otherhand, the Momentus XT drives are good......
You will be better off with an M.2 (NVMe PCI3 Gen3) for the OS, with possibly 1 or 2 partitions.
Another drive for storage (2.5" SATA III SSD).

Games wear out SSD's faster than an OS.
Most game manufactures instruct you to 'Do not mount the game in your C drive, or any partition of the drive you OS is installed on'.....
With modern 'Wear Leveling' in SSD's, the issue of partitions is merely an organisational issue, a the data is evenly spread over all the NAND.
As a result the SSD will evenly wear out, and games wear out SSD's much faster than an OS.
A spinner, you could 'Short Stroke' the drive, find the fastest section of the disk, create partition for the games and mount them there. This is true partitioning of your HDD's.
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-short-stroke-your-hard-drive-for-optimal-speed-1598306074
Short Stroke a Seagate Momentus XT and in theory, it will be as fast as a SATA III SSD.
Unfortunately, W10 does not support the MXT drive, or any HiBird Drive .... Windows kept the 'Optain' option for themselves.

tutivillus

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #12 on: 09-November-18, 00:29:56 »

Curious as to what you found out about this.

I too have a GV62 8RD-200 and have had to wipe/restore it now 3 times. I've dropped in new memory (tested the crap out of it and know it isn't the problem). I've got a couple of SATA SSD's kicking around I was thinking of dropping in, but I'm torn.

The BIG problem is that I can't register it! Registration tool is broken and the Site just returns errors...so I can't submit a Support ticket. VERY frustrating and getting a bit pissed off!

tutivillus

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #13 on: 09-November-18, 01:23:00 »

Good News Everyone!

My registration finally went through and I was able to submit an RMA Support request.

The rest is in the hands of support. A previous laptop of mine was an MSI and that thing was rock solid! I want this one to be good...really. I hope the support folks don't disappoint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up