Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New build, x370 Gaming Pro Carbon/Ryzen 2600, EZ Debug VGA LED doesn't light  (Read 198 times)

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I have assembled a refurbished x370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Ryzen 2600, with EVGA GTX 1060 SC 3GB, 2X8GB Adata XPG Gammix D10 3200, Seasonic 620W 80+ Bronze EVO, and the EZ Debug LEDs only cycle on and off for the CPU and DRAM.  

The VGA and BOOT LEDs do not come on.  I get no video from the GPU, which I tried in another PC and it worked.

I have read about BIOS updates being required for older boards, and am aware that the Ryzen 2600 doesn't have a GPU.  I am not sure, but it seems like I may need to put in an APU so I can use the on board video to update the BIOS, or send the motherboard in to have it updated.

Does the lack of an EZ Debug VGA light coming on indicate it doesn't detect a graphics processor, which is the case because it's looking for an APU and ignoring the GPU in the PCIe x16 slot because the BIOS is not correct?

I don't know what BIOS I have.  Is there a way to check with no video?

I submitted an MSI support request last night, and am continuing to search for info.

Board: MSI-X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
BIOS:  Unknown
VGA:   EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING
PSU:  Seasonic M12II EVO 620W
CPU:  AMD RYZEN 5 2600
MEMADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3200 2 X 8GB

rbleroy91

• COLONEL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #1 on: 14-September-18, 18:13:32 »

Hello,
Yes the bios version mus be at least at V1.F0 to be compatible with the 2600 Pinnacle Ridge (see >>X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - CPU QVL<<). This version has been published at 2018-03-29, so that if your mobo has not been updated since, it has an uncompatible bios. Because it is a refurbished mobo, it is impossible to know its version until you have display to enter in bios setup. Sorry but this mobo has not the wonderfull BIOS Flashback+ function so you need a compatible CPU to update bios with M-Flash.
BUT, if CPU EZ Debug LED lights on then off and next RAM does the same, I believe that the CPU is recognized. Else, CPU should remains on.
Please, begin by a clear CMOS:
- Keep only 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 slot.
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Either
   . short JBAT1 during 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
   . remove the battery cell during 30mn.
- Plug the power cord then power on.
Have you display?

- If yes, you would see a question asking to enter in bios setup or load bios default values
  . if you have, load bios default values (for test purpose)
   . if not, retry one time from the beginning waiting longer.
- If not, try to plug your monitor to other 1060 output.
Good luck,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.54)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1803)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) & 1x 960 PRO 2TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #2 on: 14-September-18, 19:53:12 »

rbleroy91, thank you for the reply.

Regarding the bios version, if the CPU EZ Debug LED for CPU lights and then turns off, this is an indication that the bios version is already compatible with my CPU?  Same with the memory?

I will follow your steps.  I tried many versions of troubleshooting, but I'm realizing now that I didn't properly follow the instructions as I tried clearing the CMOS with the PSU still plugged in.

rbleroy91

• COLONEL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #3 on: 14-September-18, 23:24:25 »

Hello,
Regarding the bios version, if the CPU EZ Debug LED for CPU lights and then turns off, this is an indication that the bios version is already compatible with my CPU?  Same with the memory?
I cannot be so sure... I know only, by experience, that when the CPU is not goodly recognized, the CPU EZ Debug Led lights on and remains on (others remain off) or CPU lights on/off, then RAM lights on/off and the cycle restarts indefinitely. It is not your case, so the problem seems to be elsewhere.
In fact, when the CPU model is changed, as it seems to be your case (refurbish mobo), a Clear CMOS is always required just after to force bios to identify the new CPU. That is why I suggested you to do it as first step. Let me known...
Good luck,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.54)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1803)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) & 1x 960 PRO 2TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #4 on: 15-September-18, 03:20:30 »

I followed the steps, both with the jumper for 20 seconds and also with the battery removed for 30+ minutes.  The power cord was unplugged each time.  My results are the same.

I would like to know whether the "bios update required to use Gen 2 Ryzen" also applies to "bios update to use GPU instead of integrated graphics"

I got a response from MSI and they suggested to verify power connections, remove anything extra, reset the CMOS, and pull the motherboard out and hook it up outside of the case to verify.  I've now done all of that and there has been no change.  The next step MSI suggested is to request an RMA.

I'm not excited about that prospect if it's just a bios update that's required and I'd rather either do the AMD boot kit or just buy a 2200G or 2400G for the other computer I'm building and use it to update the bios.  If it's not the bios then an RMA is the only option.

I wasn't planning on buying the APU any time soon, and I also have to buy memory for that other build, so I'd prefer to defer that expense for a little bit. For that other build, I have an ASUS Prime B450M-A and I confirmed my GPU works after I swapped over the same Ryzen 2600 and memory to that MB and it worked.

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #5 on: 15-September-18, 04:04:05 »

It seems like the talk about AMD's boot kit to facilitate bios updates to support Ryzen Gen 2 are focused on using 2200G or 2400G APUs.

Is it also necessary to use CPUs without onboard graphics like my 2600?

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 15-September-18, 07:18:14 »

I got a response from MSI and they suggested to verify power connections, remove anything extra, reset the CMOS, and pull the motherboard out and hook it up outside of the case to verify.  I've now done all of that and there has been no change.  The next step MSI suggested is to request an RMA.

I'm not excited about that prospect if it's just a bios update that's required and I'd rather either do the AMD boot kit or just buy a 2200G or 2400G for the other computer I'm building and use it to update the bios.
I just realized buying a 2200G/2400G isn't an option if this issue is due to the bios not being compatible with Gen 2 Ryzens, because those won't work either.

The AMD web page to request a boot kit isn't working with IE, Chrome, or Firefox.  All browsers give me an error message, "Error occurred while trying to establish communication with GccRma form."  Their website doesn't have any contact method that works, and neither does their Facebook page.

I requested an RMA from MSI.  I also reached out to Newegg via chat and they said they said they have a product support team to assist with the issue on weekdays, but it sounded like a generic answer.  There's no return option for me on this one because I submitted the UPC from the box for a $40 rebate.  So this seems like it will be a bit of a headache for a $32 mobo, plus possible costs to ship it around to get the bios update.  Or, if it's the not the bios issue at all maybe they'll replace the board.  I understand even if it's a refurbished board there's a short warranty so I want to stay on top of this issue.

rbleroy91

• COLONEL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #7 on: 15-September-18, 09:31:50 »

Hello,
I got a response from MSI and they suggested to verify power connections, remove anything extra, reset the CMOS, and pull the motherboard out and hook it up outside of the case to verify.  I've now done all of that and there has been no change.  The next step MSI suggested is to request an RMA.
I'm not excited about that prospect if it's just a bios update that's required and I'd rather either do the AMD boot kit or just buy a 2200G or 2400G for the other computer I'm building and use it to update the bios.  If it's not the bios then an RMA is the only option.
I agree with you+++!
Is it also necessary to use CPUs without onboard graphics like my 2600?
No, it is not!
I just realized buying a 2200G/2400G isn't an option if this issue is due to the bios not being compatible with Gen 2 Ryzens, because those won't work either.
These Raven Ridge CPUs require the bios version to be at least V1.C0 (2018-01-29). Your 2600 Pinnacle Ridge requires at least V1.F0 (2018-03-29). So, perhaps your mobo is already ok for 2200G/2400G but not for 2600. Please, see the S/N because it tells the date of mobo manufacturing:

If it is older than 2018-01-29, its bios version is compatible 2200G/2400G. If it is not, we cannot know because it is refurbished mobo... Because you have already the GPU, if should be very good if you could borrow a Summit Ridge CPU (see end of >>X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - CPU QVL<<). You could also find second-hand at low price.
I requested an RMA from MSI.  I also reached out to Newegg via chat and they said they said they have a product support team to assist with the issue on weekdays, but it sounded like a generic answer. (...) I understand even if it's a refurbished board there's a short warranty so I want to stay on top of this issue.
Let me known...
Good luck,

auditudeTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 16-September-18, 00:39:36 »

Please, see the S/N because it tells the date of mobo manufacturing:
[ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
If it is older than 2018-01-29, its bios version is compatible 2200G/2400G. If it is not, we cannot know because it is refurbished mobo... 
Based on that information, my serial number shows that my MB was produced March, 2017.
Did you mean to write either "newer than 2018-01-29," or "is not compatible 2200G/2400G?"  If so I think it means that when my MB was first shipped it didn't have a bios ready for either 2200G/2400G or my 2600, which I suppose explains my problem.  It could have been possible for MSI to update the bios when they had the MB again a second time, for the "refurbishment," but there's no way for me to check and it doesn't matter anyway because it doesn't work. whether it is the bios issue or something else.

I've boxed up the MSI MB for the RMA process and moved my parts over to my other build with the ASUS B450M-A/CSM to keep me occupied for now.  Looking for some NVMe M.2, SATA SSD, APU deals as I need some more parts to finish up a second machine.

rbleroy91

• COLONEL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #9 on: 16-September-18, 09:19:27 »

Hello,
MB was produced March, 2017
If bios has not been updated since, its version is 1.10 or 1.20. That explains!
I've boxed up the MSI MB for the RMA process and moved my parts over to my other build
Let us known.
Have a good day,
Pages: [1]   Go Up