Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z370 Gaming Plus - Command Center reporting different CPU  (Read 659 times)

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

I recently purchased the Z370 Gaming Plus motherboard. The MSI Command Center reports a drastically different CPU temperature than HWInfo. Running latest BIOS.

What accounts for this discrepancy and how do I fix it?

pandaz

• MAJOR
Re: Z370 Gaming Plus - Command Center reporting different CPU
« Reply #1 on: 27-September-18, 22:39:42 »

this seems to be HWinfo bug,   maybe you could try AIDA64 or HWmonitor??

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 28-September-18, 05:52:04 »

HWMonitor and Aida64 report the same temps as HWInfo.

It's a problem with the board reporting the wrong temps.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
  • Yes, that is a picture of me as the Bud Knight.
« Reply #3 on: 28-September-18, 06:03:05 »

HWMonitor and Aida64 report the same temps as HWInfo.

It's a problem with the board reporting the wrong temps.

I don't buy that at all. The board isn't reporting the wrong temps....you just don't understand how it's reporting temperatures.

Command center reports 1 temperature, whereas the other applications report individual core temps.

Command center is going to report an average of all the temps in some way (I'm guessing here...but it doesn't really appear that way...the indication on the display shows 29C, but I think that's the motherboard temp, not the CPU temp, whereas the fan display indicates a temperature around 35C. This actually compares rather well with your HWINFO temps, as they seem to average about 35C, give or take).

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. One is going to average it in some way, while the other application is showing individual core temps. I kinda prefer the average, compared to the individual ones where you have to interpret 4 to 8 temps, compared to a single temp.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB
System 4MSI Z390 Gaming PlusIntel i5 9400F16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHzMSI HD7770 2GB

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #4 on: 28-September-18, 06:29:24 »

The motherboard is reporting the wrong temps. It's an issue with Command Center or something.

Literally every other monitoring app is reporting the correct ones. I mean, if it is not the CPU temp shown in Command Center then why is it labeled CPU? 

Or for that matter, if it's the package temp (which would be the most logical as opposed to reporting an arbitrary core) then why is it still wrong?

My take: The board is reporting the incorrect sensor as the CPU temp, ie a software/ BIOS issue. What is worth noting is that AIDA applies the same label as the board itself, meaning the board is reporting something incorrectly.

I am open to other rational explanations.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 28-September-18, 08:41:11 »

No. Sorry, but you're interpreting everything incorrectly.....

Your circled Command Center picture even makes that clear..."Real-time Onboard Temperature Sensors"....that 26C is the sensor on the motherboard, not the CPU sensor.

How do I know this? Go look at your FAN profile instead and make note of what it shows the CPU temperature. You'll notice it will match up with what HWINFO64 and other applications report. That blue line along the bottom of the graph will clearly show a temperature much closer to the 36 to 40C that the other software is showing.....

Notice in Corsair Link, the temperature you reference from MSI Command center is shown as Temp #5 on the MOTHERBOARD. 

Even across applications there is variation. Your screenshot even shows that, as one app says 38C for package, while another shows 39C. Or look at Cores. One shows the cores at 37 to 39C, while the other shows 34 to 36C. And that doesn't even include Command Center, since it doesn't show the core temps. So even your other apps that you are comparing to Command Center can't decide on what temperature the cores are at, much less anything else.

All that being said, what is your point here? You don't like the wording? Or how the information is displayed?
If you don't like Command Center, don't use it! I don't on my boards. In fact, I don't use any MSI software....I just don't like it. I prefer the newer Corsair iCUE over Command Center and such. But that's just me.

If you really care that much about it, then let MSI know directly. See : >>How to contact MSI.<<
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #6 on: 28-September-18, 08:52:23 »

No. Sorry, but you're interpreting everything incorrectly.....

Your circled Command Center picture even makes that clear..."Real-time Onboard Temperature Sensors"....that 26C is the sensor on the motherboard, not the CPU sensor.

How do I know this? Go look at your FAN profile instead and make note of what it shows the CPU temperature. You'll notice it will match up with what HWINFO64 and other applications report. That blue line along the bottom of the graph will clearly show a temperature much closer to the 36 to 40C that the other software is showing.....

Notice in Corsair Link, the temperature you reference from MSI Command center is shown as Temp #5 on the MOTHERBOARD.

Even across applications there is variation. Your screenshot even shows that, as one app says 38C for package, while another shows 39C. Or look at Cores. One shows the cores at 37 to 39C, while the other shows 34 to 36C. And that doesn't even include Command Center, since it doesn't show the core temps. So even your other apps that you are comparing to Command Center can't decide on what temperature the cores are at, much less anything else.

All that being said, what is your point here? You don't like the wording? Or how the information is displayed?
If you don't like Command Center, don't use it! I don't on my boards. In fact, I don't use any MSI software....I just don't like it. I prefer the newer Corsair iCUE over Command Center and such. But that's just me.

If you really care that much about it, then let MSI know directly. See : >>How to contact MSI.<<

Since I first posted I have resolved the issue by determining that the motherboard is labeling the sensor incorrectly. The problem is resolved by using other means to read the temperatures.

With that said, you are incorrect. The sensors clearly show that the board is reporting incorrectly. The variations you mention are due to slight differences as to *when* the temperatures are read. The sensor is labeled "CPU" by the board as can clearly be seen in the picture, not motherboard sensor as you claim.

I will close this thread since I was able to determine that the board reports wrong and how to get the correct readings.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 28-September-18, 08:57:47 »

Since I first posted I have resolved the issue by determining that the motherboard is labeling the sensor incorrectly. The problem is resolved by using other means to read the temperatures.

With that said, you are incorrect. The sensors clearly show that the board is reporting incorrectly.

Opinions are just that....unfortunately understanding wording and what is shown is difficult for some. 

And I see you didn't bother reading my post. Since it's explained that the board isn't reporting incorrectly.....

Stop and think about it...if the BOARD WAS REPORTING INCORRECTLY, it wouldn't matter what software you used, they would all be incorrect.... *sigh* Stop and think about that a bit more.....Even the BIOS is fine. 

The real problem is between the keyboard and chair and understanding what the software is showing you. As I explained before. The wording and the software is confusing, and poorly done (you'll not have me disagree about that), but the information shown is correct. And your third party software (HWINFO64, AIDA, Corsair link) all confirm that as well.

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #8 on: 28-September-18, 09:09:26 »

Your belittling wording and the fact that you keep abusing your moderator privileges by repeatedly unlocking this thread after I locked it speaks volumes about you.

Please stop replying. The issue has been resolved.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 28-September-18, 10:11:17 »

You locking a topic doesn't stop it. I'm not unlocking the topic. But if that's what you want, I'll gladly make sure no one can reply.

Enjoy.

32334956Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #10 on: 28-September-18, 10:26:19 »

You locking a topic doesn't stop it. I'm not unlocking the topic. But if that's what you want, I'll gladly make sure no one can reply.

Enjoy.

Why do you keep replying even though I have repeatedly states that this ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED? Is it just ego at this point, and that you must have the last word? Yes, please stop replying and lock the topic.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 28-September-18, 14:07:58 »

I don't know why you try to delete replies to change how you looked and didn't want to understand things, but it won't change it.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up