Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI MEG X399 Creation, Blue Screen during Win10 Install (and a fix!)  (Read 19718 times)

codezoneTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2

When trying to do a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 build 1809 (10.0.17763.1) (aka Redstone 5, or October 2018 windows update) via USB drive from an image generated by Microsoft's media creation tool, I encountered a blue screen during the installation process.   Having network connectivity via the onboard LAN didn't seem to help, the windows installer did not seem to search for a a newer driver on the internet during the install.

The blue screen code was pretty basic and basically just displayed the error BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER.  I eventually narrowed the problem down to the driver for the onboard wireless adapter.  This device also seems to not have a way to be disabled in the BIOS.  Since the blue screen occurs during the installation of windows after the USB media has been copied to the hard drive, the installer gets permanently broken and you have to delete the partitions to try again by booting the installation media and starting over from scratch.

The way to fix this issue is to manually load a newer driver for the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 device from a second USB drive.  On the screen asking which drive and partition windows should install to, there is also an option to load additional drivers during the install process here, which is what needs to be done here.

Relevent page (might link to newer versions in the future):
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Actual download needed (typically the Win10 64 bit package) (links to the latest as of this post, Intel driver version 20.80.0)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28147

Unzip to USB drive, find the directory that the 'Load Driver' option scans and shows compatible drivers to install, select it and get on with your life.

The windows installer will display a large number of progress bars when scanning the folder with the drivers and during installation of the driver, but don't panic, it will eventually figure things out and install it so you can get on with the windows installation :)

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

codezone, this is great!  Thank you so much!  Do you happen to know which driver the Intel 9260 requires?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I think it is the five files of the Netwtw08 set.  Please let me know if you disagree.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.130, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL

RS5 has some major bugs and microsoft has postponed the release time :bonk:

I'd expect those bugs to be fix along with the official RS5 release (hopefully, lol)

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

plutomate, thanks, first I heard.  Please post an MS reference for this fiasco. Thanks and enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

cybrnook

• STAFF SERGEANT

RS5 has some major bugs and microsoft has postponed the release time :bonk:

I'd expect those bugs to be fix along with the official RS5 release (hopefully, lol)
Re-Release of the October update is underway, build 17763.17. Though media creation tool site is still providing 17134.1, so not quite there yet. However, since this is a driver issue, and the release is more to fix the deletion of old KFR directories, I think this is still needed.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Thanks, cybrmook, what the heck are "KFR directories"?  I guess I am showing my ignorance.  BTW 17134 is 1803 and the Media Creation site is providing 17134.345 - at least yesterday when I updated my LT.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Please see here.  Looks like 17763.55 was released on 9 Oct (KB4464330 ).  It is available in Microsoft Update Catalog.

cybrnook

• STAFF SERGEANT

No, what I am talking about is the release of the mediacreationtool for making a new windows install iso or thumb drive. You want to make sure it's the updated version:

And just google KFR, there is a lot of info already on the Oct 2 release of 1809 and it's issues.

"The company determined that the data deletion issue resides with a bug related to the Known Folder Redirection (KFR) feature. If KFR had been previously enabled, intentionally or by mistake/automatically, but the files remained in the old location instead of being moved to the redirected location, they ended up being deleted. That’s because Microsoft attempted to fix a previous KFR issue from the April 2018 upgrade, where KFR would create duplicate but empty Known Folders."

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Thanks, plutomate.
Thanks, cybrnook.
I assume this bug has no effect on new installs, which is what I almost always do.
Enjoy, John.

xxwyx2003

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you so much, I solved the problem by using this method, thanks a lot.

argonagui

• PRIVATE E-2

When trying to do a fresh install of the latest Windows 10 build 1809 (10.0.17763.1) (aka Redstone 5, or October 2018 windows update) via USB drive from an image generated by Microsoft's media creation tool, I encountered a blue screen during the installation process.   Having network connectivity via the onboard LAN didn't seem to help, the windows installer did not seem to search for a a newer driver on the internet during the install.

The blue screen code was pretty basic and basically just displayed the error BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER.  I eventually narrowed the problem down to the driver for the onboard wireless adapter.  This device also seems to not have a way to be disabled in the BIOS.  Since the blue screen occurs during the installation of windows after the USB media has been copied to the hard drive, the installer gets permanently broken and you have to delete the partitions to try again by booting the installation media and starting over from scratch.

The way to fix this issue is to manually load a newer driver for the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 device from a second USB drive.  On the screen asking which drive and partition windows should install to, there is also an option to load additional drivers during the install process here, which is what needs to be done here.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Actual download needed (typically the Win10 64 bit package) (links to the latest as of this post, Intel driver version 20.80.0)

Unzip to USB drive, find the directory that the 'Load Driver' option scans and shows compatible drivers to install, select it and get on with your life.

The windows installer will display a large number of progress bars when scanning the folder with the drivers and during installation of the driver, but don't panic, it will eventually figure things out and install it so you can get on with the windows installation :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perfect solution 

Actulized driver version now Version: 20.90.0 (Latest)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/28275/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F28275%2Fa08%2FWiFi_20.90.0_Driver32_Win10.zip

Thanks a lot @codezone!!!

indu111

• SERGEANT

The way to fix this issue is to manually load a newer driver for the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 device from a second USB drive.  On the screen asking which drive and partition windows should install to, there is also an option to load additional drivers during the install process here, which is what needs to be done here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS FIXED MY WINDOWS 10 INSTALL!

I was so annoyed that i was running in to this exact same issue. I followed the exact steps and solved it and had a clean fresh install. Thank you again.

janis.robens

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you so much man! You're a legend. I just built a new PC from scratch and just couldn't figure out what the problem was for hours. Eventually my girlfriend found you post on here, so thanks again!

One thing I wonder is, if you could also use the drivers supplied on the MSI support page for this board. I think i saw WiFi drivers in the download section.

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL

yes it should be working just fine

erpsracing

• PRIVATE E-2

Big THANK YOU codezone for this info!!!

Catworm

• PRIVATE E-2

Thank you codezone, I was trying to install windows for 2 days and getting really REALLY sad,

I did this and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again.

keltrik

• PRIVATE E-2

Ah, also a great way to solve this annoying problem. I have another solution: I was using a bootable USB with Win10 v1607. The MSI board was the first one to refuse booting from that stick which installed dozens of PCs before it without a problem. In a reddit forum someone said that win10 v1709 is the one to go. And that's it indeed: USB boots up like a charm and windows installs without BSOD. After installation just run Windows Update and you get the newest version. 
What's kind of strange with that board: the BIOS initialization is REALLY long! Even my outdated laptops (2010!) are way faster! But oh well, that's a different topic.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
In a reddit forum someone said that win10 v1709 is the one to go. And that's it indeed: USB boots up like a charm and windows installs without BSOD. After installation just run Windows Update and you get the newest version.
Have to install 1709 release of Windows 10 to be able to use 1809! X-((
1809 is really the worst release I have seen! Microsoft is... And, clearly, Intel does not help. o_0
What's kind of strange with that board: the BIOS initialization is REALLY long! Even my outdated laptops (2010!) are way faster!
At this time, MEG X399 Creation is a recent mobo with only 2 bios releases. Post delay should be improved in the futur.
Have a good day,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

hammah

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
    • Paul Hammerstrom Design

A million thanks! I was putting together a new build this weekend and ran into the BSOD upon windows install. This worked like a charm!

nick.shin

• PRIVATE E-2

installing 1709 is what worked for me.  i've tried many ways to get 1809 to install -- plowed as many drivers to another USB stick to get it going -- but, 1709 finally got going.  love the mobo -- installing linux was a breeze.  can't wait to see if i can also install OSX on this.  (love the boot override option in the BIOS.)

thanks again for the 1709 tip!

matthewphilipdixon

• PRIVATE E-2

OMG thank you so much, just spent 3 hours trying to figure out wth was going on with my new motherboard and your solution worked perfectly!

Monstieur

• PRIVATE E-2

Disable some CPU cores (or HyperThreading on Intel) during installation so there are <= 10 logical processors. This prevents the BSOD until you update the driver later.

pjcnot-1

• PRIVATE E-2

New Creator...had to install an old version of 10 Pro and those drivers listed above, both old or new wouldnt istall.  Now with an old windows 10 Pro install, subsequent updates will corrupt things and you get a repair process loop that wont stop.  So install with old windows 10 and follow this process to block updates to the Blue Tooth drivers 

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/

and I dont want my workstation to have bluetooth so I also disabled it 

Crazy... Im quite capable, how would someone with less patience do this?  I guess incapable people arent building AMD boxes from parts  :shrug:

pjcnot-1

• PRIVATE E-2

OK, nothing is easy.. forget what I said above, I thought it was fixed, I was able to get a windows install, but it was not stable.

So you cant install the drivers that the first poster mentions unless you have an older version of windows 10 pro and during the install as he mentions.  but then, even then, if you allow an automatic update to the wifi driver, and above I mistakenly listed the bluetooth driver/system sorry.  The link in my post above leads to how to disable a specific driver update.  Well now it is stable for hours and reboots and installs of software...   miserable..   MSI owes me like 8 hours.

Monstieur

• PRIVATE E-2

OK, nothing is easy.. forget what I said above, I thought it was fixed, I was able to get a windows install, but it was not stable.

So you cant install the drivers that the first poster mentions unless you have an older version of windows 10 pro and during the install as he mentions.  but then, even then, if you allow an automatic update to the wifi driver, and above I mistakenly listed the bluetooth driver/system sorry.  The link in my post above leads to how to disable a specific driver update.  Well now it is stable for hours and reboots and installs of software...   miserable..   MSI owes me like 8 hours.
The bug is triggered by having more than 10 CPU cores on the outdated driver that ships with Windows. Disabling the additional CPU cores on AMD or switching off HyperThreading on Intel (cuts the logical core count in half so it works for up to 10-core CPUs) is the easiest solution. Once you update the drivers you can re-enable the cores.
Your issue seems to be different. The bug doesn't cause random instability - it results in a BSOD 100% of the time on boot.

pjcnot-1

• PRIVATE E-2

OK, I had read your advice above, but couldnt find a place in the Creator Bios to disable cores..  Maybe clarify for others?

gordon.mcnevin

• PRIVATE E-2

Thanks for the tip of disabling CPU cores to get install to work!

I disabled CPU cores by going into the BIOS settings -> Advanced Mode -> OC Button On Left -> Downcore Control -> FOUR (4 + 0) 8 Cores

Got my install working ;-)

nhan408

• PRIVATE E-2

Theres also another way to fix the blue screen issue go bios advance mode >oc>cpu features> disable smt>Iommu>and spread spectrum after disabling try installing window again and it shpuld work fine. Dont forget to enable smt again in the bios later.

francislallen01

• PRIVATE E-2

volsfan846

• PRIVATE E-2

I had this issue but went into bios and disabled the WiFi adapter and loaded windows. Now I have installed the latest Intel driver in Windows but the system won't boot, it always hangs right before loading Windows. Is there a way to fix this without re-installing Windows? Hate to waste all that time. Wish I had seen this before I found my work around...

Love the motherboard and the Threadripper other than this issue.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
Keep [MAJ]+[F10] when the circle for Windows loading displays.
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.62)  –  Windows 7/10 (1903) Pro x64  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

MarkusTheArtist

• PRIVATE E-2

Was up until 5AM trying to get the new build of my X299 Creation system past that first reboot after the install to no avail...codezone you're a freakin LIFESAVER. Gonna try this tonite after work...and hopefully get some sleep after Windows installs...

Yeah right if this works there's no way I'm sleeping tonite with this board going along with an 2080 ti GXT in there!!!

sullycollin

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi. This may be a noob question, but how do i delete partitions if i can't even get windows to load? I'm first time installing win 10 to my meg creation from a usb stick and i keep getting the blue screen after reboot. I'd like to try this driver trick but i'm not sure how to reinstall when i'm stuck in this boot loop. Thanks in advance...

plutomate

• MAJOR GENERAL

you press F11 during booting to go into usb at startup again (before loading OS) and load driver from there

gaowei1382

• PRIVATE E-2

Many thanks to codezone. This also solves the X299 windows 10 installation blue screen problem. Saved me a lot of time.
Also pls do not update the 9260 wireless driver when you successfully installed Windows 10.

wexler

• PRIVATE E-2

Outstanding - downloading the intel driver due to that NDIS issue was the fix - thank you so much!!!

-- WEX

joaopedrosilva

• PRIVATE E-2

Hi, I'm a new builder but long enthusiast, and I've been having most of the problems mentioned in this thread.

I've built a workstation/rendering pc with the following specs:
-MSI Creation x399
-AMD Threadripper 1950x
-4x16GB G-skill TridentZ RGB 2400
-Samsung 970EVO 1TB
-MSI GeForce RTX 2070 super

It's been hell trying to install windows on this build, but I finally managed with a combination of methods listed above, including installing 1709 instead of the latest Windows 10, and installing the wifi drivers alongside windows.
I've upgraded the BIOS and installed all the drivers and when I try to update windows, there's always something that goes wrong! First it would get stuck on an infinite recovery loop, then it wouldn't recognize the audio drivers, and now it simply won't boot with the four RAM sticks plugged in. I simply don't know what else I can try to make this work.

Is it possible that my hardware is simply not compatible?

Please help!

Svet

• T9246ED
  • Administrator

@joaopedrosilva
please open new own topic for troubleshooting
Pages: [1]   Go Up