Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac black screen on boot  (Read 153 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

cjcjulianTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac black screen on boot
« on: 08-November-18, 11:20:06 »

Hey All,

I recently built my PC specs are

i5 9600k
G Skill 16gb memory
msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac

Everything was working perfectly fine, until I decided to go into the BIOS and turn XMP to ON. After doing this the machine rebooted and now shows a black screen on boot. 

• Keyboard is responsive/cap locks responds
  • No error lights on the motherboard
  • Attempted to plug into other video connectors on both dedicated and onboard gpu
  • Attempted BIOS reset and removing the CMOS battery both.
  • swapped memory sticks

I am out of ideas :(

rbleroy91

• MAJOR GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #1 on: 08-November-18, 12:28:27 »

Hello,
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Unplug all the RAM sticks and the graphic card.
- Either
    . short JBAT1 during at least 20s
      (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or
   . remove the battery cell during 30mn.

- Plug back 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 (2nd slot from CPU).
- Connect your monitor to the mobo's back panel (shall use the CPU's UHD630).
- Plug the power cord then power on.
- If you have display, you would see a question asking to enter in bios setup or load bios default values,
   . if you have, load bios default values (for the moment).
   . if not, retry one time from the beginning waiting longer. If not again, try after to have plugged another RAM stick in DIMMA2.
- If problem is not resolved, please, tell us what do the EZ DEbug LED just after you power on:

CPU LED must light on and, after 1s, light off; then, same for DRAM LED; then, same for VGA LED; then, same for BOOT LED (if there is a boot drive, else it remains on). Do you see that?
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.54)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1803)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) & 1x 960 PRO 2TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

cjcjulianTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 08-November-18, 13:10:35 »

Hello, - Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off. - Unplug all the RAM sticks and the graphic card. - Either . short JBAT1 during at least 20s (if you have not a jumper cap, use something like a screwdriver but be cautious to touch only the 2 pins of JBAT1) or . remove the battery cell during 30mn. - Plug back 1 RAM stick in DIMMA2 (2nd slot from CPU). - Connect your monitor to the mobo's back panel (shall use the CPU's UHD630). - Plug the power cord then power on. - If you have display, you would see a question asking to enter in bios setup or load bios default values, . if you have, load bios default values (for the moment). . if not, retry one time from the beginning waiting longer. If not again, try after to have plugged another RAM stick in DIMMA2. - If problem is not resolved, please, tell us what do the EZ DEbug LED just after you power on: [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ] CPU LED must light on and, after 1s, light off; then, same for DRAM LED; then, same for VGA LED; then, same for BOOT LED (if there is a boot drive, else it remains on). Do you see that? Hoping it shall help, :hat tip:

Thanks alot! I will follow this to the exact and let you know if it works!

Cheers.

cjcjulianTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 08-November-18, 20:00:30 »

Ok after trying the above I can confirm the machine still boots but will no video on screen.

The EZbios lights initially each flash then go out. No constant

rbleroy91

• MAJOR GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #4 on: 08-November-18, 20:12:59 »

:think:
1/ What is your monitor model?
2/ How is it connected to the mobo?
Have a good day,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.54)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1803)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) & 1x 960 PRO 2TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

cjcjulianTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #5 on: 08-November-18, 20:50:08 »

:think: 1/ What is your monitor model? 2/ How is it connected to the mobo? Have a good day, :hat tip:

Ok so I plugged my PC into another device (my TV and it works) fine. My monitor is a Samsung CHG70
Marked as best answer by cjcjulian on 10-November-18, 02:03:53

rbleroy91

• MAJOR GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #6 on: 08-November-18, 23:57:30 »

Hello,
Ok so I plugged my PC into another device (my TV and it works) fine
Good news, happy for you! :pompom:
Problem with your Samsung (cable or monitor?) is not related to the XMP try but it arises at the same time... :think:  Power off it and disconnect all its cables during at least 8h. If it does not work on your z390 Gaming Edge AC, try with another cable then on another pc...
Have a good day,

cjcjulianTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 09-November-18, 13:03:36 »

Hello,Good news, happy for you! :pompom: Problem with your Samsung (cable or monitor?) is not related to the XMP try but it arises at the same time... :think: Power off it and disconnect all its cables during at least 8h. If it does not work on your z390 Gaming Edge AC, try with another cable then on another pc... Have a good day, :hat tip:

Thanks! Yes it appears to be completely unrelated. I resolved the issue properly by upgrading the firmware of the Samsung monitor itself. Now consistently gets a signal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up