Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: B150A Gaming Pro MB - Run two OS's??  (Read 2922 times)

Illusive PrimeTopic starter

• SERGEANT
B150A Gaming Pro MB - Run two OS's??
« on: 17-November-18, 14:48:39 »

Months ago I transfered everything from my Disk Drive to my new Samsung 2TB SSD.

And I want to play Halo Wars 2 on the PC but unfortunatly the game can only be played on Windows 10 and prompted me to think; Can I have two drives with diferent Operating Systems installed??

So I want Windows 10 installed on my Hard Disk Drive and I have Windows 7 on my Samsung SSD.
I don't mean as in running two Operating Systems AT ONCE, more like run Windows 7, then if I want to go on Windows 10, I'll shut the PC down unplug my SSD and plug in my Windows 10 drive and run it.

Would I be able to do that or would my Motherboard get confused or break?

I got some advice from a guy in a computer store and said it can only be done with certain MB's and needs a certain chip to cope with it.
So is my MB compatible to do this? I have a MSI B150A Gaming Pro board.

Thanks.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
Re: B150A Gaming Pro MB - Run two OS's??
« Reply #1 on: 17-November-18, 16:39:19 »

Hello,
Of course you can! :yes:
It is useless to connect/unconnect disks: use Windows 10 boot loader to select the OS you want to use (with a temporisation, the system will automatically boot on Windows 10 if you do not select 7 before). To do:
- remove your disk installed with Windows 7.
- plug only the disk where you want to install Windows 10 (to be certain that all its partitions will be created on the same disk).
- In bios, set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select"= "UEFI".
- Install Windows 10. Wait all updates end, then disable Windows Fast Statup:
  . Enter in "Control Panel \ Power Options".
  . Click "Choose what the power buttons do", then "Change settings that are currently unavailables".
  . Search for "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" entry.
  . If you have it, uncheck.
  . If you have not,
    . enter in "Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options".
    . set "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart" at "Off".
- Enter in bios setup.
  . Set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Fast Boot" = "Disabled".
  . Select the Windows 10 disk in "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities".
- Connect your other disk with Windows 7.
- Start Windows 10.
  . Open Disk manager and see the Windows 7 partition. If it has not already a letter, select Z.
  . Open a CMD as administrator then type:
bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Windows 7"
(note the GUID in the response: "The entry was successfully copied to {<GUID>}")
bcdedit /set {<Type here the GUID>} device partition=Z:
bcdedit /set {<Type here the GUID>} osdevice partition=Z:
  . In Disk manager, remove the letter Z for the Windows 7 partition.
- Finish!
Have a good day,

:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 18-November-18, 12:57:38 »

Hello,
Of course you can! :yes:
It is useless to connect/unconnect disks: use Windows 10 boot loader to select the OS you want to use (with a temporisation, the system will automatically boot on Windows 10 if you do not select 7 before). To do:
- remove your disk installed with Windows 7.
- plug only the disk where you want to install Windows 10 (to be certain that all its partitions will be created on the same disk).
- In bios, set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select"= "UEFI".
- Install Windows 10. Wait all updates end, then disable Windows Fast Statup:
  . Click "Choose what the power buttons do", then "Change settings that are currently unavailables".
  . If you have not,
    . set "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart" at "Off".
- Enter in bios setup.
  . Set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Fast Boot" = "Disabled".
  . Select the Windows 10 disk in "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities".
- Start Windows 10.
  . Open Disk manager and see the Windows 7 partition. If it has not already a letter, select Z.
  . Open a CMD as administrator then type:
(note the GUID in the response: "The entry was successfully copied to {<GUID>}")
bcdedit /set {<Type here the GUID>} device partition=Z:
bcdedit /set {<Type here the GUID>} osdevice partition=Z:
  . In Disk manager, remove the letter Z for the Windows 7 partition.
- Finish!
Have a good day,

Thank you my good man! :-) As soon as I purchase a Windows 10 disk, I'll let you know.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #3 on: 18-November-18, 16:17:33 »

Hello,
It is not required to buy a disk and a new licence:
- You can use your Windows 7 licence: because you are using it on the same pc, so that you cannot use 7 and 10 at the same time, the activation is possible for the 2 Windows with the same key.
- The full Windows 10 distribution is available on Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, . It is even recommended to use it rather than a DVD distribution because it is the last version: currently, 1803. Downlaod then runt it and choose to create an USB pen (you will need an empty pen with at least 8GB).
Good luck,
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

• SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 19-November-18, 15:13:37 »

Hello,
It is not required to buy a disk and a new licence:
- You can use your Windows 7 licence: because you are using it on the same pc, so that you cannot use 7 and 10 at the same time, the activation is possible for the 2 Windows with the same key.
- The full Windows 10 distribution is available on Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, . It is even recommended to use it rather than a DVD distribution because it is the last version: currently, 1803. Downlaod then runt it and choose to create an USB pen (you will need an empty pen with at least 8GB).
Good luck,

Creation Tool? Is this the link to actually download Windows 10? I thought it had to be purchased?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #5 on: 19-November-18, 15:53:54 »

Hello,
Creation Tool? Is this the link to actually download Windows 10? I thought it had to be purchased?
Yes it is! :yes:
Download the tool, run it then choose to create an USB key. Doing that, you will obtain a full distribution up-to-date. Boot on the USB key to install Windows 10 and when you will be asked for key, enter yours for Windows 7: it shall work and do not block its use for Windows 7 on the same pc.
Friendly yours,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 19-November-18, 16:17:20 »

Hi,

So I download the tool, put the file(s) in the USB folder then run it and that will creat the key to install Windows 10?
Then shut down my computer, unplug my Windows 7 drive, then connect my spare disk drive in along with the Windows 10 USB key and then boot up the system and insert my Windows 7 key?

Is there any details on the Windows 10 OS like what bit system type? For example is it 32-bit/64bit?

Because currently my system specs are at the moment:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1
CPU: Intel i5-6500 3.20GHz
System Type: 64-bit OS

Sorry if I annoy you with these questions, I just want to be 100% certain before going ahead with this, because knowing my luck, something always goes wrong for me. :D

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #7 on: 19-November-18, 16:49:51 »

So I download the tool, put the file(s) in the USB folder then run it and that will creat the key to install Windows 10?
Yes! Run the tool and it shall ask a USB key (at least 8GB). After that, key shall be formatted then distribution downloaded and copied on the key by the tool.
Then shut down my computer, unplug my Windows 7 drive, then connect my spare disk drive in along with the Windows 10 USB key and then boot up the system and insert my Windows 7 key?
Yes!
Is there any details on the Windows 10 OS like what bit system type? For example is it 32-bit/64bit?
Because, your 7 key is for 64bits, you have to select a Windows 10 64bits distribution to be downloaded. You have also to select the same type for Windows 10 (home, pro...).
Sorry if I annoy you with these questions, I just want to be 100% certain before going ahead with this, because knowing my luck, something always goes wrong for me.
No problem! Do not fear: the first step, that is the install of Windows 10, cannot alter your initial Windows 7 installation because the disk is not plugged.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #8 on: 21-November-18, 14:57:15 »

I managed to installed Windows 10 on my disk drive yesterday with no problem with the latest updates as you suggested.

But later in the day, I tried what you suggested in your first reply to this post.

When you said about the BCDEDIT in Command Prompt.

The only drives I have on my computer are;

RAMDisk (B:) [When I installed MSI Live Update]

Disk Drive (F:) [Windows 10]

Samsung SSD (C:) [Windows 7]

Local Disk (Q:) [Not sure what this one is, won't let me access it]

DVD RW Drive (D:)

But I did what you instructed;

bcdedit /set {Type GUID} device partition=Z:

bcdedit /set {Type GUID} osdevice partition=Z:   <----- When I pressed ENTER when I typed this one in it displayed an error message and I think I messed it up. Is there a way to restore this BCDEDIT to default?

Even when I get the blue option at Bootup to select Windows 10 or Windows 7 it keeps rebooting the system.

And at one time when I pressed DEL to enter my BIOS, the icons that display the order of Boot Prioritys are messed up.

Is this something to worry about are just a minor glitch after too many restarts?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #9 on: 21-November-18, 17:13:50 »

Hello,
I managed to installed Windows 10 on my disk drive yesterday with no problem with the latest updates as you suggested.
Good! :biggthumbsup:
Disk Drive (F:) [Windows 10]
Samsung SSD (C:) [Windows 7]
Not Good! :biggthumbsdown:
As I explained previously, you have to boot on the drive where you have installed Windows 10. In that case, letter should be "C:" for it! You have booted on Windows 7 and it is why the next did not worked.
- Enter in bios setup.
  . Set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select" = "UEFI".
  . Remove all except the Windows 10 disk in "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities".
- Boot and your Windows 10 should start without you have to anything.
- If right, open Disk manager and verify that Windows 10 has c: as letter. Then, see the Windows 7 partition. If it has not already a letter, select Z. Open a CMD as administrator then type:
=> what GUID do you obtain in the response "The entry was successfully copied to {<GUID>}")?
I will help you for the next; begin by that...
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #10 on: 22-November-18, 13:03:49 »

So I tried what you said. At first when I reconnected my Windows 7 drive and rebooted it just kept going to blank screen then, MSI Boot loading screen constantly.
Then I disconnected my Windows 7 drive and Windows 10 had a problem, I some how managed to fix it and when I got to the Windows 10 desktop I connected my Windows 7 SSD and I am now typing this on Windows 10.

And I've changed my SSD drive to Z:  and when I typed "bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Windows 7"
A messaged displayed "The entry was successfully copied to 18e56135-ee86-11e8-b8da-d8cb8a9aee67!

So what do I do next?
I'll keep the command prompt open for your next steps/instructions.
I hope what I did is okay and not compromise anything.

P.S What does typing in {current} do and why type in /d? Does it mean a drive because like I said in my last reply, my D drive is my CD/DVD drive.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #11 on: 22-November-18, 17:26:29 »

Hello,
It should not be efficient to try to repair. The easiest is to install again Windows 10 on the drive (do not fear about your Windows licence it shall be automatically reused). Do exactly that:
- Unplug all disks except the drive where you want to install Windows 10 (to be certain that all required partitions [boot loader, OS and backup partitions] will be created on it).
- Plug the USB flash drive with the downloaded Windows 10 installer.
- Enter in Bios Setup, press <F6>, confirm, set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select"="UEFI", press <F10> and confirm.
- PC should reboot and begin Windows install. Select "Custom" as installation type. Select each partition on the drive then select "Delete". When all partitions are deleted, select the unallocated space and click "Next" (not "New", only "Next"). Because there is no partition on the drive and PC was booted into UEFI mode, Windows should (re)initialize the drive as GPT then begin the installation.
- Start Windows 10 and wait end of updates. Disable Windows Fast Statup:
  . If you have not,
- Enter in bios setup and remove all except the Windows 10 disk in "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities".
- Verify that pc boot goodly and start Windows 10 automatically.
- Open Disk Manager and do a screen copy showing all the disk partitions.
Do not connect the other HDD/SSD at this time; wait for the next. I will help for the next after you confirmed all is ok.
Good courage,

dvair

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
    • Vair Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 22-November-18, 17:28:22 »

I just change my boot drive priority in the BIOS to get it to boot off my secondary OS.  I have mine set up so each version of Windows I use does not see the other drive by disabling the other drive in the Device Manager.  If you installed 10 with the 7 disk unplugged like you said each drive should have its own boot files, if the 7 drive was still installed when you did the 10 installation then most likely all the boot information for both drives are on the 7 drive.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #13 on: 23-November-18, 14:59:56 »

Hello,
It should not be efficient to try to repair. The easiest is to install again Windows 10 on the drive (do not fear about your Windows licence it shall be automatically reused). Do exactly that:
- Unplug all disks except the drive where you want to install Windows 10 (to be certain that all required partitions [boot loader, OS and backup partitions] will be created on it).
- Plug the USB flash drive with the downloaded Windows 10 installer.
- Enter in Bios Setup, press <F6>, confirm, set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select"="UEFI", press <F10> and confirm.
- PC should reboot and begin Windows install. Select "Custom" as installation type. Select each partition on the drive then select "Delete". When all partitions are deleted, select the unallocated space and click "Next" (not "New", only "Next"). Because there is no partition on the drive and PC was booted into UEFI mode, Windows should (re)initialize the drive as GPT then begin the installation.
- Start Windows 10 and wait end of updates. Disable Windows Fast Statup:
  . If you have not,
- Enter in bios setup and remove all except the Windows 10 disk in "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities".
- Verify that pc boot goodly and start Windows 10 automatically.
- Open Disk Manager and do a screen copy showing all the disk partitions.
Do not connect the other HDD/SSD at this time; wait for the next. I will help for the next after you confirmed all is ok.
Good courage,

Install again? (sigh)
Well, I've ordered a new  1TB SSD so I'll install Windows 10 on that, would I still be able to use my activation key on that drive when I format my Disk Drive?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #14 on: 23-November-18, 16:50:39 »

Hello,
Yes you can: the key can be used again and again if you do not change the mobo.
Do not format your new SSD: Windows 10 installer shall do as required.
Please, do exactly what I explained in my previous post and tell me the result before to do more.
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 24-November-18, 09:54:56 »

I said format my Disk Drive, not my new SSD. :D lol

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #16 on: 24-November-18, 10:06:15 »

Hello,
Ah... Yes you can format your HDD with old Windows 10 without risk: your key shall remain available for the next install on the new SSD.
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 30-November-18, 11:45:46 »

Hello,
Ah... Yes you can format your HDD with old Windows 10 without risk: your key shall remain available for the next install on the new SSD.
Have a good day,

Hi again, followed your steps and waiting for next part, but for some unknown reason, my system restarts. The only Boot Priority is Windows 10 drive, everything else is disabled.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #18 on: 30-November-18, 15:41:09 »

Hello,
1/ At this time, have you only the new 1TB SSD connected and you have followed the method I described previously to install Windows 10 on it?
2/ If yes, what is this SSD model? On what port is it connected?
:scratchchin:

• SERGEANT
« Reply #19 on: 30-November-18, 15:59:32 »

Hello,
1/ At this time, have you only the new 1TB SSD connected and you have followed the method I described previously to install Windows 10 on it?
2/ If yes, what is this SSD model? On what port is it connected?
:scratchchin:

The only devices connected was my USB [To install Windows 10], my CD/DVD drive and my SSD.

My SSD model is Samsung 860 EVO V-Nand.

And one Windows Update failed, not sure if it's the one restarting my PC.

The update is; 2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based System (KB4467708) Error Code: 0x8024200d

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #20 on: 30-November-18, 16:55:56 »

Hello,
And one Windows Update failed, not sure if it's the one restarting my PC.
The update is; 2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based System (KB4467708) Error Code: 0x8024200d
Yes, it is this update: 1809 has many incompatibilities with Intel CPU gen 6 or least. On mine also, it does not work: pc freezes during next start!
Try to set in bios "OC \ Hyper-Threading" = "Disabled". It is a workaround in waiting bios new version.
If that works:
- Keep only Samsung 860 EVO V-Nand and verify it is connected on SATA1.
- Do the next as I explained in my previous post (stop at the step when you have to connect the other HDD/SSD).
Good luck,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #21 on: 01-December-18, 13:00:41 »

Hello,Yes, it is this update: 1809 has many incompatibilities with Intel CPU gen 6 or least. On mine also, it does not work: pc freezes during next start!
Try to set in bios "OC \ Hyper-Threading" = "Disabled". It is a workaround in waiting bios new version.
If that works:
- Keep only Samsung 860 EVO V-Nand and verify it is connected on SATA1.
- Do the next as I explained in my previous post (stop at the step when you have to connect the other HDD/SSD).
Good luck,

Can't find the Hyper-Threading setting. I've looked all over my BIOS settings.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #22 on: 01-December-18, 16:22:15 »

Hello,
See p.55 of the >>Manual<<:

Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #23 on: 02-December-18, 08:22:36 »

I looked at the BIOS again and in EZ Mode it said that Hyper-Theading: N/A and in CPU Features the option to turn it off/on is still not there.
Do I install the drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, would that work?
Or shall I load Optimized Defaults in hoping it would give me the option to turn it on?

I don't understand why I'm having issues with the OS on my new SSD and didn't have this problem on my disk drive.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #24 on: 03-December-18, 01:58:08 »

Hello,

1/ I don't understand why I'm having issues with the OS on my new SSD and didn't have this problem on my disk drive.
When you were running Windows 10 on HDD, 1809 release distribution was suspended because of many bugs. Microsoft has recently decided to resume distribution. Thanks Microsoft for users consideration! :angryfire:
2/ What is your CPU (is it a Celeron)?
3/ I suggest first to load more recent bios version known as good (show >>Here<<, last column, to verify it is compatible with your CPU). Do exactly that:
- Download >>Bios V1.E0<<.
- Take an USB pen having no more than 16GB (physical size) with only one partition.
   It must be FAT32 (I recommend to verify the pen with CHKDSK).
- Unzip it and copy the file "E7978IMS.1E0" on the root of the USB pen.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press <F6>, confirm, press <F10> and confirm. Pc should restart.
- Enter again in Bios Setup.
- Plug the USB pen into one 2.0 port of the back panel (those below PS/2).
- Click on the M-Flash button then select the file on the USB pen.
- M-Flash should start. Be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power off pc and PSU then wait 5s after all mobo's LEDs light off.
Result?
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 03-December-18, 12:11:28 »

I bought the CPU from Amazon years ago. Here is the link.
Intel CPU Link

It doesn't say it's a Celeron as far as I looked.
Years ago while I was looking for a new MB and various other gaming hardware, I kept been told that this CPU was a good choice at the time.

And about a week or two before I originally posted this I updated my motherboard.
So this link you're showing me. Might be for the current version I am using.

And I just thought of this, might be silly but worth mentioning.
Since my new SSD arrvied, I still have Windows 10 installed on my HDD, would that some how confuse the system, because there is two key active Windows 10 OS's on two different drives?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #26 on: 03-December-18, 17:17:01 »

Hello,
Yes, i5-6500 is not a Celeron! :yes:
I looked at the BIOS again and in EZ Mode it said that Hyper-Theading: N/A
It is abnormal! :undecided:
Because of that, I suggest to load (even if you have already it) the more recent bios version known as good BUT doing exactly that:
- Take an USB pen having no more than 16GB (physical size) with only one partition.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press <F6>, confirm, press <F10> and confirm. Pc should restart.
- M-Flash should start. Be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power on, enter in bios setup and set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select" = "UEFI".
Can you npw set in bios "OC \ Hyper-Threading" = "Disabled"?
And I just thought of this, might be silly but worth mentioning.
Since my new SSD arrvied, I still have Windows 10 installed on my HDD, would that some how confuse the system, because there is two key active Windows 10 OS's on two different drives?
NEVER, never run a pc having more than 1 Windows 10 partition connected at the same time: boot loader and the os partitions themselves could be damaged by a (re)start. I was thinking that you have only the SSD with the new Windows 10 connected at this time; right or false? If false, please connect only this SSD until we have finished the Windows 10 configuration. If right, do not worry; the key is registered for the pc, not the drive.
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #27 on: 04-December-18, 12:40:16 »

Hello,
Yes, i5-6500 is not a Celeron! :yes: It is abnormal! :undecided:
Because of that, I suggest to load (even if you have already it) the more recent bios version known as good BUT doing exactly that:
- Power on, enter in bios setup and set "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select" = "UEFI".
Can you npw set in bios "OC \ Hyper-Threading" = "Disabled"?NEVER, never run a pc having more than 1 Windows 10 partition connected at the same time: boot loader and the os partitions themselves could be damaged by a (re)start. I was thinking that you have only the SSD with the new Windows 10 connected at this time; right or false? If false, please connect only this SSD until we have finished the Windows 10 configuration. If right, do not worry; the key is registered for the pc, not the drive.
Have a good day,

I'm thinking I might upgrade my CPU later in 2019.
It's been good but struggles with the games I have. :D

My current BIOS version is: E7978IMS.1G0
So I will try your method. Keep worrying I might "brick" the board.

If it goes smothly, I'll let you know what happens.

And no, I would never run two drives of the same OS. I meant while HDD was disonnected, it still had Windows 10 on while I installed Windows 10 on my new SSD. :D
And what is PS/2? Never heard of it.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #28 on: 04-December-18, 17:31:36 »

Hello,
And no, I would never run two drives of the same OS. I meant while HDD was disconnected, it still had Windows 10 on while I installed Windows 10 on my new SSD. :D
:biggthumbsup:

And what is PS/2? Never heard of it.

It is for "old" keyboard and mouse. When the mobo has problem with USB, this port is handfull (I always keep a such keyboard).
Keep worrying I might "brick" the board.
How have you updated bios in the past? M-Flash method is the more secure but I understand what you say... :think: 

I don't understand why I'm having issues with the OS on my new SSD and didn't have this problem on my disk drive.
Unconnect the SSD, connect only the HDD with Windows 10, force Windows Update so that 1809 shall be applied. Does it crash like with the SSD?
Good luck,

louis16robo

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #29 on: 05-December-18, 13:18:27 »

Hello,:biggthumbsup:
  [ ERROR: SPECIFIED ATTACHMENT MISSING ]
It is for "old" keyboard and mouse. When the mobo has problem with USB, this port is handfull (I always keep a such keyboard).How have you updated bios in the past? M-Flash method is the more secure but I understand what you say... :think:
Unconnect the SSD, connect only the HDD with Windows 10, force Windows Update so that 1809 shall be applied. Does it crash like with the SSD?
Good luck,

I've only updated the BIOS once and that was about a month or two ago.
And I worry if I did it again with the same version it would some how corrupt my board. Before I updated it all I kept hearing that if doing the process fails it bricks the board.

And my previous post, I tried adding something else but couldn't do it.
Tried saying that I have formated my HDD so there is no OS on it and that a few nights ago I was messing around the settings and changed a few settings in the Windows Feature box. (Don't ask me what because I forgot! :D lol) and since doing that, Windows 10 has not self-restarted yet.

Last night I was on Windows 10 for about a few hours, no restart.
And today at 4pm till now, still no restart. Good yes?

Do you still want me to M-FLASH my board?

• SERGEANT
« Reply #30 on: 05-December-18, 13:29:05 »

ADDITIONAL: Also a few nights ago my OS managed to install the failed update, but twice with the (2) at the end.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #31 on: 05-December-18, 16:24:10 »

Last night I was on Windows 10 for about a few hours, no restart. And today at 4pm till now, still no restart. Good yes?
Do you still want me to M-FLASH my board?
Hello,
Are you the same person as Illusive Prime?
If all work fine, keep current bios.
Good luck,

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #32 on: 05-December-18, 16:47:44 »

ADDITIONAL: Also a few nights ago my OS managed to install the failed update, but twice with the (2) at the end.
1/ Windows 10 on the SSD works good except the update who abort each time. Right?
=> If yes, what is its name? Suspend Windows updates for the moment:
- Click on "Settings" in start manu
- Click on "Windows Update" icon
- Click on "Advanced options" link
- Turn on "Pause updates"
=> Updates are suspended for the next 35 days.
2/ SSD is connected alone and it is on SATA1. Right?
3/ Please, start Windows, start Disk Manager and
- Do a screen copy showing all the SSD's partitions.
- Verify also how it has been initialized: right-clicking on its label, you would see a greyed entry named "Convert to MBR...". Do you see that?
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #33 on: 06-December-18, 11:16:30 »

1) Yes, it was me under that different name. This website is annoying to do the simplest thing, it just randomly changed my name. Even replying to someone it would just log me out! :D
2) Yes, it's the same update that keeps failing that has updated right. It was the "2018-11 Cumalative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4467708) (2)" I'll try to post a screenshot if I can.
3) I aggree, anu OS is better on a SSD. SSD POWER!!! :D
4) I couldn't find the option to Pause any updates. The only options there is:
"Give me updates for other MS products when I update Windows" [OFF]
 "Automaticaly download updates, even over metered data connections (charges may apply)" [OFF]
"Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating." [ON]
And "Delivery Optimisation".
5) I think my Windows 10 SSD is plugged into my SATA 2 Port, want me to connect it to SATA 1?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #34 on: 06-December-18, 17:11:27 »

Hello,
Yes, it's the same update that keeps failing that has updated right. It was the "2018-11 Cumalative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4467708) (2)" I'll try to post a screenshot if I can.
Yes, it is 1809!

I couldn't find the option to Pause any updates
Click on "Settings \ Windows Update \ Advanced options" then turn on "Pause updates"; see here for photos:
>>How to Pause Windows 10 Updates for Up to 35 Days<<.

I think my Windows 10 SSD is plugged into my SATA 2 Port, want me to connect it to SATA 1?
It is not required, only better.

To finish, do not omit to do that:
3/ Please, start Windows, start Disk Manager and
- Do a screen copy showing all the SSD's partitions.
- Verify also how it has been initialized: right-clicking on its label, you would see a greyed entry named "Convert to MBR...". Do you see that?
It should be usefull for the next step: adding Windows 7 entry to have a dual boot.
Friendly yours,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #35 on: 07-December-18, 15:18:49 »

Hello,Yes, it is 1809!
Click on "Settings \ Windows Update \ Advanced options" then turn on "Pause updates"; see here for photos:
>>How to Pause Windows 10 Updates for Up to 35 Days<<.
It is not required, only better.

To finish, do not omit to do that:It should be usefull for the next step: adding Windows 7 entry to have a dual boot.
Friendly yours,

Hi again,

1) Still, there is no option of Pausing Updates.
2) Can't find the option of "Convert to MBR". (See screenshot)
Also I have extra Disk partions I have never seen before.
The only disk's I have connected is my HDD for Storage, 2TB SSD for Windows 7 & my other SSD which is for Windows 10 that I am currently using now.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #36 on: 07-December-18, 18:51:44 »

Hello,
Also I have extra Disk partions I have never seen before.
"EFI System Partition" is the boot loader, so it is normal. I am only surprised by the 2 "OEM Partition" on Disk1

The only disk's I have connected is my HDD for Storage, 2TB SSD for Windows 7 & my other SSD which is for Windows 10 that I am currently using now.
Please confirm:
- Disk0 is the SSD with Windows 7
- Disk1 is the other SSD with the new Windows 10
- Disk2 is the HDD for storage
1/ Right?
2/ Disk1 is connected to SATA1 port. Right?
3/ In bios setup, click on "SETTINGS \ Boot". "Boot Mode Select" is set at "UEFI" and in "Boot Option Priorities", there is only 1 entry corresponding to Disk1. Right?

If the answer is yes for the 3 previous questions, get the freeware >>EasyBCD V2.3<< (do not fear, I have tested it for virus and use it since 3 years without any problem). Run it, enter "MSI" (without quotes) as password and extract the archive content (only the file "EasyBCD2.3.exe"). Run the installer "EasyBCD2.3.exe". After that, run EasyBCD.
- Select "Edit Boot Menu":

Verify that you have only Windows 10 entry. Set the count down to the max time to wait before to load the default OS if user does not select one (I set it at 2s). Save.
- Select "Add New Entry". Do exactly what is shown in the figure:

Reboot. Yo would now be able to choose between Windows 7 and 10.
Hoping to have goodly explained,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #37 on: 10-December-18, 13:04:26 »

Hello,"EFI System Partition" is the boot loader, so it is normal. I am only surprised by the 2 "OEM Partition" on Disk1
Please confirm:
- Disk0 is the SSD with Windows 7
- Disk1 is the other SSD with the new Windows 10
- Disk2 is the HDD for storage
1/ Right?
2/ Disk1 is connected to SATA1 port. Right?
3/ In bios setup, click on "SETTINGS \ Boot". "Boot Mode Select" is set at "UEFI" and in "Boot Option Priorities", there is only 1 entry corresponding to Disk1. Right?

If the answer is yes for the 3 previous questions, get the freeware >>EasyBCD V2.3<< (do not fear, I have tested it for virus and use it since 3 years without any problem). Run it, enter "MSI" (without quotes) as password and extract the archive content (only the file "EasyBCD2.3.exe"). Run the installer "EasyBCD2.3.exe". After that, run EasyBCD.
- Select "Edit Boot Menu":
Verify that you have only Windows 10 entry. Set the count down to the max time to wait before to load the default OS if user does not select one (I set it at 2s). Save.
- Select "Add New Entry". Do exactly what is shown in the figure:
Reboot. Yo would now be able to choose between Windows 7 and 10.
Hoping to have goodly explained,
Hi again,

I have UEFI and have not changed it for a while.

D: Is my storage drive (SATA3 Port)
C: Is my Windows 10 Drive (SATA2 Port)
F: Is my Windows 7 Drive (SATA1 Port)

P.S Appologies for the delayed reply.

• SERGEANT
« Reply #38 on: 10-December-18, 14:05:48 »

So I've done it but when I restart it comes up with a black screen to choose my desired OS.
I thought it was supposed to be a blue screen with the choices.
(I tried posting a screenshot but the site won't let me)

• SERGEANT
« Reply #39 on: 10-December-18, 16:41:44 »

EDIT: Never mind that last post. I went back to the programme and ticked the Metro-Bootloader option. It was disabled in your screenshots.

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #40 on: 11-December-18, 02:09:10 »

Hello,

D: Is my storage drive (SATA3 Port)
C: Is my Windows 10 Drive (SATA2 Port)
F: Is my Windows 7 Drive (SATA1 Port)
Please, do exactly that:
- Connect SSD with Windows 10 to SATA1, SSD with Windows 7 to SATA2 and HDD to SATA3
- Enter in bios setup,
  . Verify that "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select" = "UEFI"
  . Click on "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities" and remove all but the W10 SSD's UEFI loader
- Boot
   . Press <F11> when the MSI splash screen displays
   . Verify that W10 SSD is selected by default
   . Press <Enter>
=> If all previous steps were successfull, you would be now in Windows 10. If Ok:
- Open Disk Manager.
- If the W7 partition is not affected to letter "F:", right-click on it to change its current letter then select "F:"
- Install easyBCD and do exactly what I have shown in my previous post (do not check "Metro Bootloader" option, it is only to have older "blue display" of boot options as big button.
- Open again Disk Manager.
- Remove "F:" letter for W7 partition (having none letter affected to this partition, permit to have not it displayed in Explorer).
=> Reboot to verify that you have now the possibility to choose between the 2 Windows versions.
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #41 on: 11-December-18, 12:18:00 »

Hello,
Please, do exactly that:
- Connect SSD with Windows 10 to SATA1, SSD with Windows 7 to SATA2 and HDD to SATA3
- Enter in bios setup,
  . Verify that "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Mode Select" = "UEFI"
  . Click on "SETTINGS \ Boot \ Boot Option Priorities" and remove all but the W10 SSD's UEFI loader
- Boot
   . Press <F11> when the MSI splash screen displays
   . Verify that W10 SSD is selected by default
   . Press <Enter>
=> If all previous steps were successfull, you would be now in Windows 10. If Ok:
- Open Disk Manager.
- If the W7 partition is not affected to letter "F:", right-click on it to change its current letter then select "F:"
- Install easyBCD and do exactly what I have shown in my previous post (do not check "Metro Bootloader" option, it is only to have older "blue display" of boot options as big button.
- Open again Disk Manager.
- Remove "F:" letter for W7 partition (having none letter affected to this partition, permit to have not it displayed in Explorer).
=> Reboot to verify that you have now the possibility to choose between the 2 Windows versions.
Have a good day,
 Hello again,

I am stuck on your last part.

You say that I should remove the :F letter on my Windows 7 drive but how do I do this?
Do I go to;
- Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Then click "Remove" on the F: letter?
If so, wouldn't that delete the data on that drive???

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #42 on: 11-December-18, 15:42:51 »

Hello,
You say that I should remove the :F letter on my Windows 7 drive but how do I do this?
Do I go to;
- Change Drive Letter and Paths
- Then click "Remove" on the F: letter?
If so, wouldn't that delete the data on that drive???
Yes, you have to click on the "Remove" button. Do not fear: it shall only remove the affected letter used to access the W7 partition, not the content of the partition itself. See >>Here (Option One)<< for explanations with figures.
Friendly yours,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #43 on: 12-December-18, 12:36:18 »

Errm....?

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #44 on: 12-December-18, 17:01:11 »

Hello,
1/ Reply yes! :yes:
Windows says only: if there is program using this drive as "F:\<...>", is shall not work after you removed the letter. Of course, it is not your case and this alert does not say that dtat on drive will be cleared. Do not fear!
2/ Pease, only for verification, run easyBCD, click on "View Settings" button and do a screen copy.
Have a good day,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #45 on: 13-December-18, 07:36:05 »

Hi again, screen copy of the settings you suggested in your early screenshots? I turned of that Metro boot loader. Can't do it right now as I am at work. Lol :D

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #46 on: 13-December-18, 10:55:13 »

Hello,
screen copy of the settings you suggested in your early screenshots?
It was only to verify that boot loader configuration is good. Clicking on "View Settings" button, you would see something like that:

but with only the 3 entries Default / Windows 10 / Windows 7. Right?

I turned of that Metro boot loader
If you prefer blue display of boot entries, of course, you can! ;-))

In conclusion, do all work now as you wanted:
- When pc boot, you have the choice between Windows 10 and 7.
- When you select Windows 10, Windows 10 starts and works fine.
- When you select Windows 7, Windows 7 starts and works fine.
- When you do nothing, after the timeout, Windows 10 starts.
If yes to all, I have nothing more to say than enjoy!

Friendly yours,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #47 on: 13-December-18, 11:16:53 »

Hello,It was only to verify that boot loader configuration is good. Clicking on "View Settings" button, you would see something like that:

but with only the 3 entries Default / Windows 10 / Windows 7. Right?
If you prefer blue display of boot entries, of course, you can! ;-))

In conclusion, do all work now as you wanted:
- When pc boot, you have the choice between Windows 10 and 7.
- When you select Windows 10, Windows 10 starts and works fine.
- When you select Windows 7, Windows 7 starts and works fine.
- When you do nothing, after the timeout, Windows 10 starts.
If yes to all, I have nothing more to say than enjoy!

Friendly yours,
 Hi again,
I've attached two screenshots, the one you wanted of EasyBCD & one were I have sucessfully removed F: from my Windows 7 Drive.
Just two questions;
- So when I go onto the Window 7 OS, will it automattacally give that drive the C: letter and remove it if I'm on Windows 10 etc?
- So, everything is finally in order, am I okay to uninstall EasyBCD programe or do I need it to maintain the settings for the duel-boot settings?

Thank you my friend for all your help!! :D
If you're on Xbox, feel free to add my gamertag: Illusive Prime

Good day! :)

rbleroy91

• LIEUTENANT GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #48 on: 13-December-18, 17:32:07 »

Hello,
Thank you my friend for all your help!! :D
You are :welcome:
Glad to have been able to help you! ;-))

when I go onto the Window 7 OS, will it automattacally give that drive the C: letter and remove it if I'm on Windows 10 etc?
By default partition with booting OS take the letter "c:". Therefore:
- if you select Windows 7, correspondig partition shall have letter "c:"
- if you select Windows 10, correspondig partition shall have letter "c:"
I recommend to remove also letter for Windows 10 partition when are using Windows 7.

Everything is finally in order, am I okay to uninstall EasyBCD programe or do I need it to maintain the settings for the duel-boot settings?
You can uninstall it without any risk! Nevertheless, I would kept it: it takes a tiny place on disk, does not use ressources when not started and could be usefull to change some start parameters (change OS started by default, change the delay before default load, change labels, add Linux entry...).

If you're on Xbox, feel free to add my gamertag: Illusive Prime
Sorry, I'm not.
Friendly yours,

• SERGEANT
« Reply #49 on: 29-January-19, 14:47:33 »

So I was messing arround with the EasyBCD tool and and after saving a change some minor problems came up. See the screenshots.

I hope they can be fixed lol.

I've restored my MB to defualts and still kept it to UEFI setting.

Suggestions?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up