Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meg X399 BIOS  (Read 475 times)

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Meg X399 BIOS
« on: 27-November-18, 17:27:00 »

Hello,

My first post here, and my first MSI mobo.

To resume, the BIOS 1.25 is newer than the one that is in the support page?

Now is to why i ask this...

I got a 2990wx and the MEG x399, 64gb of gskill memory 3200mhz, the memory is not listed in the mobo page, mine have a R in the code.

So i got 64gb (8dimm) of this memory, i install everything and got code C5, start to post again with only one stick and ok i got post and bios working, so i shutdown and put everything back, ok again, go to install windows, the famous 1809, got BSDO because the driver error, but in the time i don´t knew that, so i update the BIOS again, this time i got the beta 1.25 in the forum, try windows again (1809), BSDO, remove 4 dimms of memory, tried install windows again, BSDO, so i learn about the windows driver problem, got the 1803 and all was fine, i put all 8 dimms back, BSDO, windows corrupted and broken, so i remove 4 dimms and install windows again (1803), now the PC is fine with 32gb, very stable no problems, but i have 32gb of nice memory here looking me and asking when i will use them...

So i ask for the BIOS version, because if i am using a old version or something like this, i will update and give a new try with 64gb, i use this PC for work, so i cannot go crazy here... i have to play safe.

And the memories are fine, i test it in another system (x99) and all the 64gb was ok in 3200mhz.

Thanks for any help tips etc... :)

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #1 on: 28-November-18, 13:24:57 »

Found the answer on another post, so the 2.0 is newer, the beta goes 1.21 1.22 1.23 etc and the 1.2 is the final.

Svet

• T9246ED, Бивша комета
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 03-December-18, 21:38:27 »

yes, that's correct.

do you still have issues with this BSOD error?

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #3 on: 03-December-18, 22:47:26 »

BSOD is due to memory. You are running it at too high of a speed or timings are too aggressive.

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #4 on: 03-December-18, 22:48:40 »

Be aware that 8 sticks, you can't really go higher than 2933. Anything above that you'll get BSOD and lock ups! I have 3600 memory and even @ 3000 with 8 sticks, it locks up here and there.

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #5 on: 03-December-18, 22:52:53 »

If you look at the QVL, the highest supported speed that MSI has tested is 2933 as well for 8 sticks.

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #6 on: 06-December-18, 04:58:27 »

Hey, huge sorry for the delay in the reply here.

So, i do not test 64gb yet, i can manage well with 32gb, i use this PC for work, so i will test it with a new HD, if something breaks, it will be ok, i am using the 1.2 version now.

If you look at the QVL, the highest supported speed that MSI has tested is 2933 as well for 8 sticks.
Yes i notice that too... I think this very strange, because in the meg page they say 3800mhz (OC) up to 128gb, for everything i read, the reality is far from this... But with 32gb (4dimm) and XMP, all works fine, easy and fast.
The BSOD was first because the intel driver from 1809, but i was getting a lot of C5 errors when using 4dimms, so to be honest, don´t know where the problem start and where it finish... when i back to tests, maybe i will try to OC the memory controller, see if it helps get the 3200mhz, this work with my old 6900k, but i still don´t even know where to find this configuration.
The only problem to test things is, i am using the noctua u14s, to play with the ram i have to remove the GPU, to get acess and remove the noctua fans, put the ram, back the fans/gpu and play... is a lot of work...

yes, that's correct. do you still have issues with this BSOD error?
No, after i go back to 4dimm (32gb) no problems, all is very stable, and i am loving the way PBO works, and is all on the fly, so if i have little time for a render i just switch profiles and deal with the fan noise :)

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 06-December-18, 09:50:43 »

The BSOD was first because the intel driver from 1809, but i was getting a lot of C5 errors when using 4dimms, so to be honest, don´t know where the problem start and where it finish... when i back to tests, maybe i will try to OC the memory controller, see if it helps get the 3200mhz, this work with my old 6900k, but i still don´t even know where to find this configuration.

The only thing you'd need to do is to go into OC menu in BIOS and select XMP2 profile - that usually has the highest speed.

From my experience with the board, I was getting a bunch of C5 errors when the memory was not initializing properly - due to bad timings or too high frequency or a combination of both. The most stable for me right now with 4 sticks is at 3400MHz. If I OC to 3600 (max XMP for my kit) it fails to even post so your mileage may vary. 3200MHz should run fine for you without any issues.

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #8 on: 06-December-18, 14:11:52 »

The only thing you'd need to do is to go into OC menu in BIOS and select XMP2 profile - that usually has the highest speed. From my experience with the board, I was getting a bunch of C5 errors when the memory was not initializing properly - due to bad timings or too high frequency or a combination of both. The most stable for me right now with 4 sticks is at 3400MHz. If I OC to 3600 (max XMP for my kit) it fails to even post so your mileage may vary. 3200MHz should run fine for you without any issues.

Even if you don´t know, you are my teacher on this board! I think i read all your comments, beta bios, memories etc... :)

Some years ago i get a gskill kit that was not working with my mobo (x99), so i change the VCCSA core, put more juice there, and the memory work, but i don´t know if we can make something like this with threadripper, and for all i read, in reddit, foruns etc... indeed for 8dimm we have to keep the max os 2933mhz... Let´s just hope for an future update!

jenksdrummer

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 06-December-18, 16:06:03 »

I have the same CPU and board; I found out the hard way that the issue is the infinity fabric between cores is clocked at the memory clock - SO, when you run your RAM at high rates, the CPU internally is doing it too. You might be able to, but what's generally supported is 2933.

So I sent back the 3466 128GB kit I purchased and got 2933 128GB kit. No issues. I could have underclocked and used manual timings, but I don't care to tweak that hard to make it work. Plus the board I was using at the time (Gigabyte Aorus) would revert BIOS settings or flat out clear itself. I ended up sending that board back defective and getting the MEG - a good decision ;)

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #10 on: 06-December-18, 17:54:26 »

I have the same CPU and board; I found out the hard way that the issue is the infinity fabric between cores is clocked at the memory clock - SO, when you run your RAM at high rates, the CPU internally is doing it too. You might be able to, but what's generally supported is 2933. So I sent back the 3466 128GB kit I purchased and got 2933 128GB kit. No issues. I could have underclocked and used manual timings, but I don't care to tweak that hard to make it work. Plus the board I was using at the time (Gigabyte Aorus) would revert BIOS settings or flat out clear itself. I ended up sending that board back defective and getting the MEG - a good decision ;)

I did not know that... But this answer a lot of questions i had, why the memory clocks helps a lot the cpu speed etc... But seeing like this, i think we will have a better cpu performance using 32gb(4dimm) 3200mhz and not 64gb(8dimm) 2933mhz right?

jhchris2

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #11 on: 06-December-18, 20:00:41 »

ralfetas, if you continue to get BSODs, please look in the minidump folder and if not empty, please compress it and upload it so we can take a look.  Enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #12 on: 06-December-18, 22:18:01 »

Even if you don´t know, you are my teacher on this board! I think i read all your comments, beta bios, memories etc... :)

Some years ago i get a gskill kit that was not working with my mobo (x99), so i change the VCCSA core, put more juice there, and the memory work, but i don´t know if we can make something like this with threadripper, and for all i read, in reddit, foruns etc... indeed for 8dimm we have to keep the max os 2933mhz... Let´s just hope for an future update!
I doubt we'll be able to go over 2933 on 8 dimms. Apparently 8 dimms puts a lot more stress on the memory channels and the CPU has issues running at faster speeds. Same applies for regular Ryzen CPUs where if you have all 4 dimms populated, you get much lower DDR frequency. 

My recommendation is to get Aida 64 and look at the memory timings table in there. It offers a LOT more info than CPU-Z for example. Then based on the timing info there, clock your memory at 2933 and drop the timings so they are a lot tighter. That should reduce latency.
For example with 3400MHz I get a memory bandwidth of around 80GBps ish in Aida, and with 2933 it's around 70-72. Not a massive drop in speed so it's totally doable.

Another recommendation, if you have a good video card, gaming should be totally fine with stock settings. If you are having issues, get Ryzen Master and use the 1/4 core feature. That disables all NUMA nodes but 1 and you will notice a difference - my 3D mark scores went up from around 18k to 24k in Firestrike.

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #13 on: 07-December-18, 00:41:57 »

I doubt we'll be able to go over 2933 on 8 dimms. Apparently 8 dimms puts a lot more stress on the memory channels and the CPU has issues running at faster speeds. Same applies for regular Ryzen CPUs where if you have all 4 dimms populated, you get much lower DDR frequency. My recommendation is to get Aida 64 and look at the memory timings table in there. It offers a LOT more info than CPU-Z for example. Then based on the timing info there, clock your memory at 2933 and drop the timings so they are a lot tighter. That should reduce latency. For example with 3400MHz I get a memory bandwidth of around 80GBps ish in Aida, and with 2933 it's around 70-72. Not a massive drop in speed so it's totally doable. Another recommendation, if you have a good video card, gaming should be totally fine with stock settings. If you are having issues, get Ryzen Master and use the 1/4 core feature. That disables all NUMA nodes but 1 and you will notice a difference - my 3D mark scores went up from around 18k to 24k in Firestrike.

I game yes, but not much, i am playing now hitman 2, i have a 1080ti and my monitor is g-sync , and indeed, i can play with all max in 1440 and i see no problem, the game goes very smooth in all locations, i don´t even change the profile in ryzen master, to be honest, is much better than i was expecting, my basic profile in ryzenmaster is all default, even PBO is disable, i think dynamic local mode is helping this a lot on this, for rendering, sometimes the dynamic local mode makes the render slower, but with 32 cores slower is a matter of seconds...

For the RAM, for now i will just keep the 32gb with 3200mhz, is very difficult in my work to go over 32gb, very difficult... so i think is better to keep 32gb stable and fast than 64gb with lots of crazy tests, but now in the end of year, i will test to see if i manage to keep the same band with 2933mhz, i will follow your advice and get AIDA64 for this.

Maybe with the ryzen 7nm coming next year we will get some memory improvements, watching some leaked specs on ryzen3, cannot even imagine what threadripper will be!

bogdi1988

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 07-December-18, 01:23:59 »

I game yes, but not much, i am playing now hitman 2, i have a 1080ti and my monitor is g-sync , and indeed, i can play with all max in 1440 and i see no problem, the game goes very smooth in all locations, i don´t even change the profile in ryzen master, to be honest, is much better than i was expecting, my basic profile in ryzenmaster is all default, even PBO is disable, i think dynamic local mode is helping this a lot on this, for rendering, sometimes the dynamic local mode makes the render slower, but with 32 cores slower is a matter of seconds...

For the RAM, for now i will just keep the 32gb with 3200mhz, is very difficult in my work to go over 32gb, very difficult... so i think is better to keep 32gb stable and fast than 64gb with lots of crazy tests, but now in the end of year, i will test to see if i manage to keep the same band with 2933mhz, i will follow your advice and get AIDA64 for this.

Maybe with the ryzen 7nm coming next year we will get some memory improvements, watching some leaked specs on ryzen3, cannot even imagine what threadripper will be!
Here's how I look at the AIDA info.

I look at the XMP2 info. That info has the RC RFC etc info so you can manually set the secondary timings instead of letting the board guess them. I would start with the lowest RFC (RFC4 - 240) in the frequency as well and if that doesn't post, bump to RFC3 (390) and so on.

ralfetasTopic starter

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #15 on: 10-December-18, 14:34:43 »

Here's how I look at the AIDA info. I look at the XMP2 info. That info has the RC RFC etc info so you can manually set the secondary timings instead of letting the board guess them. I would start with the lowest RFC (RFC4 - 240) in the frequency as well and if that doesn't post, bump to RFC3 (390) and so on.

Huge thanks again bogdi1988!

I will take a look on this by the end of the month, if i have any progress i will post it here :)

Thanks again!

andnrk

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 23:41:07 »

Hi. Could anybody share latest BIOS? At official MSI website download links  doesn't work for me currently.

jhchris2

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:13:32 »

andnrk, working now.  Seems to be a constant problem with MSI.  Enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2
Pages: [1]   Go Up