Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GS73 Broken Hinge  (Read 938 times)

cwbaxterTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
GS73 Broken Hinge
« on: 05-December-18, 09:53:16 »

Anyone interested in joining a class action lawsuit against MSI for continuing to produce crappy hinges? Screwing the metal hinge into a plastic LCD cover assembly and then over tightening the hinge ensures that every hinge will fail. This is unacceptable in a $2500 machine.

This is my second (and last) MSI product. The build quality is terrible; both units have had failed hinges. I use my laptop for work. DIY epoxy fixes or sending the unit away for 30 days on RMA are not good solutions.  MSI refuses to sell the part to fix the units ourselves, leaving a $100 order from Aliexpress the only true DIY option.

Amaella

• MAJOR
Re: GS73 Broken Hinge
« Reply #1 on: 05-December-18, 11:12:25 »

Do you happen to open the laptop by grabbing it off center...? That would put tremendous pressure on the hinge and possibly make it break. Also I would say in comparison to how many units they sell, the amount of failed hinges stories is acceptable. It sucks it happened to you, send it off for RMA and live on. Also only ever open the lid in the center so the pressure spreads across both hinges evenly. I had 2 msi laptops and aside from driver issues (and in one of them throttling issue) both were perfect. Also msi support was always amazing to me within their crappy rules. All it takes is being nice and a little persistent and you will probably get what you want as long as it's clear why the hinge failed. In this case msi might want to make sure it's fixed right, does not happen again and both hinges are correctly adjusted for you.
Previous laptops: Asus K55VJ (i5-3210m, gt635m, 12GB ddr3 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 500GB)
                          MSI GT72VR 6RE (i7-6820HK, gtx1070), MSI GT75 8RG (i7-8750H, gtx 1080)
Current desktops:  i7-8700k, evga 1080ti ftw3, Asus Z370 prime-a, 2x8GB Corsair RAM @3000MHz, Fractal Design Define r6 TG white, Noctua NH-D15
                          i7-7740x, msi x299 raider, msi gtx 1060 armor 6GB, 2x8GB RAM, NZXT h440
If my answers help you out, feel free to help me out by marking them as best solution! Happy gaming to all!

terry

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 25-February-19, 23:15:37 »

I'm interested.

I had the left hinge break for the first time under warranty - it was repaired by MSI at no cost.  Since then, I have made a habit of opening only from the center as recommended by the OP, but even so, the hinge broke again in only 6~7 months, which puts the laptop OUT of warranty now.

MSI won't even give me a ballpark cost, stating first that I must ship the unit in with an evaluation cost, before they will even offer a repair estimate.

It is very frustrating.

austinburcham2016

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 18-September-19, 16:32:57 »

I would have to agree that this is unacceptable for the price of machines that it is happening on. Mine out the door, modified by registered dealer, was approximately $2700 (msi ge73 raider rgb 8rf) Shame on me for not buying the warranty, but at the time it was a new product, I had seen no reports of broken hinges, and after having far cheaper laptops last for years (I had my last one for about 8 years), I did not expected to need warranty service in the first 3 years that would offset the cost of the warranty about $300. 

Now it is out of warranty and the hinge has shattered. Along the same lines, a 30 day period without my laptop is not acceptable for an issue that far too many people have or will have. I cannot go 30 days during the school semester without my work machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up