Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problems with my MSI GF62 7RE-1452  (Read 131 times)

erion42Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Sound problems with my MSI GF62 7RE-1452
« on: 24-December-18, 08:44:04 »

Good day everyone. I recently got a GF62 7RE gaming notebook and it runs pretty fantastically... except when it comes to gaming.

When I run some games like Dark Souls 3 or Dragon Quest XI I get no sound at all. I've tried updating the drivers, I've tried using headphones or just using the regular speakers, I've tried disabling various devices, none of it works. I had this problem a while back and managed to fix it by accident but I don't remember what I did to resolve it. Non-games have sound without problem- Chrome and VLC both work flawlessly. And what's even more weird is some games, like Death Road 2 Canada (not a resource hog) and Dead Rising (an older game) have sound without any problems.

Does anyone have any advice on where to begin troubleshooting this? I'd really appreciate any help on this because it kinda sucks not being able to play games on a notebook that was specifically purchased to play games.

Possibly helpful screenshots:
Device Manager
Sound Manager

david

• COLONEL
  • Software dev & media creation w/ gaming gear.
Re: Sound problems with my MSI GF62 7RE-1452
« Reply #1 on: 24-December-18, 11:44:21 »

Hi erion42,

When you look to the Device Manager or Sound Playback Manager, you are looking at the general settings of Microsoft Windows. This is not the place to look when you have sound from some programs/games but not others. This kind of problem is usually a local one---not a general one.

The first place to look for problems like this are the programs/games that don't have sound. Microsoft Windows allows applications to have their own local sound settings and many applications do. For example, I can configure my movie player (PowerDVD Ultra) to use my S/PDIF output (which feeds my external surround-sound speaker system) while my music player (Windows Media Player) uses the default system setting (my headphones). Or, I can mute a video playing in my browser (Firefox) to listen to an mp3 playing in my music player because each one has their own local sound level and mute controls.

So you need to check the settings of the programs/games that don't have sound to see if they have a setting that allows you to select the sound playback device and/or sound level and make sure they are set the way you desire.

Kind regards, David
GT80 2QE Titan SLI-001 • i7-4720HQ • 32 GB DRAM • 2 x GTX 980M in SLI • 16 GB VRAM (8 GB/GPU) • 2 x 512 GB Micron M600 M.2 SSDs in mirrored Recovery array • 2 x 128 Toshiba M.2 SSDs in mirrored RAID-1 • 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD • MiniPro RAID V2 external case w/ 2 x 2 TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HD in RAID-1 for local backup • 40" Philips 4K UHD BDM4065UC monitor • Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB external keyboard • Logitech G903 Lightspeed wireless mouse w/ Powerplay charging mousepad • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit • Adobe Master Collection CS6

erion42Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #2 on: 24-December-18, 14:16:52 »

Thanks for the assist, David!

I'm in one of the programs now and there isn't a method to control which device it uses so I can't see how that specific program would have been changed to a setting that would make it soundless. I checked with program that launches the game (Steam) and there are no local settings for managing audio devices. The only thing I can think of is some sort of global device setting got changed that only affects certain programs... if that's possible. 

I'm not really sure what to do with that.

erion42Topic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #3 on: 24-December-18, 15:14:38 »

Never mind... it looks like the culprit was a program that apparently emulates surround sound that snuck on board somehow. Anyway, I uninstalled it and things sound to be working just fine now.

Thanks again for the assist!
Pages: [1]   Go Up