Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Advanced search    

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable Docking Station for GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE  (Read 3534 times)

anmoschosTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Suitable Docking Station for GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE
« on: 14-December-18, 07:58:57 »

Hi,

my name is Athanassios Moschos and I am owner of an MSI laptop, more specifically of the GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE.
I want to buy a suitable docking station for the laptop, in order to be able to connect to it several peripherals.
The docking stations I am thinking are the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-UltraDock-40A90090US-Packaged/dp/B01N9RW2A3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544794623&sr=8-3&keywords=thinkpad+dock+c+lenovo
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Hybrid-USB-C-USB/dp/B079N9BJY7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544794680&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=thinkpad+dock+c+lenovo+hdmi&psc=1

I would like to know if they are compatible with my laptop, as they will be connected through the laptop's port-C.

I am also open to any suggestions from MSI regarding the most appropriate docking station for my laptop.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and your time.

Kind regrads,
Athanassios Moschos

anmoschosTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Re: Suitable Docking Station for GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RE
« Reply #1 on: 14-December-18, 15:07:34 »

UP

oktnight

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #2 on: 20-December-18, 21:24:33 »

Never heard about the docking station for msi laptops but it's very famous for Thinkpad series for sure. The docking station you mentioned on amazon, which offers 3 usb 3.1 , 2 usb 2.0, 1 ethernet, 2 HDMI, 2 Dp, 1 Audio port and always power on usb charging, is pretty awesome design from Thinkpad too. 

But compare to GS65 you have, most of the I/O already been there and the rest (on docking station) would be a waste. For example, totally 7 video port but there is no laptop can support 7 monitors to show at the same time, maximum 4 monitors. The audio port on GS63 is specially amplified with golden jack, not like the normal one on docking station. The ethernet port on GS65 is supported by famous Killer E2500 chip, not sure what's the detailed spec of the etherent on docking station?

But back to the scenario you've asking, maybe it's possible to have msi docking station while there are more and more MBA like machine coming out. Let's wait and see.
==============================
day dreamer - night worker
born from classic music - keen to pop and creative rhythm
play games in life - life is filled with kinds of games
And, that\'s who I am

Buda-T

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #3 on: 21-December-18, 03:10:16 »

Hi there,

I have the same laptop and I use DELL Docking station TB16, 240W.

It works with thunderbolt port and it is pretty useful but I'm not sure if it is worth the money.
The thing with GS65 is that it requires a lot of power so you can not charge your laptop via docking station.

There are 2 cables connected to my laptop - power adapter and docking station (thunderbolt port)

On the docking station I connect:
- External monitor (27' with 144hz)
- keyboard
- mouse
- headphones
- cooling pad

Everything works fine.

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 21-December-18, 06:40:24 »

It all depends on what your uses are and how much you want to spend.

For my GS73, I got a rather cheap Thinkpad USB3.0 docking station on Ebay for ~$20. All I wanted to connect to it was mouse/keyboard and other peripherals. I connected my extra monitor via HDMI and my ethernet to the laptop directly. I didn't mind having 3 wires to plug in to do it either. 

I like the USB-C hardware and such, but it's expensive. The ones you linked are nice, but again, starting at $150, they're a bit more than I would spend for myself personally. But I'm betting they would work just fine if that's what you want.

Again, it's all a matter of what you want to connect. Almost any docking station that connects via USB-C or USB3.0 should work just fine.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

frank.tf.tsai

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #5 on: 23-December-18, 23:49:41 »

Your docking station can be selected based on which ports you require as well as your aesthetic tastes (undervalued but important!).

gk2377

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #6 on: 24-December-18, 03:28:18 »

Seems the docking station will be kind of useful gear beside the mobility benefits. Can suggest to MSI RD people to dig into it and see what's the next solution for fans.

tomsyn

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #7 on: 06-July-19, 17:45:28 »

Hi, did you get the docking station and did it work with your MSI laptop?

darkhawk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07-July-19, 09:56:29 »

It all depends what you need/want. 
Personally, the USB3 IBM docking station I got on ebay for $20 was great overall. I left mouse, keyboard, USB sound, and my ethernet all plugged into it and used it for all that. No issues at all.

But if you want more, then a USB-C/thunderbolt solution is the only way.....but it'll be much more expensive.
Name            Motherboard                                CPU                                              RAM                             GPU                                            
System 1MSI GS73VR-6RFIntel i7 6700HQ16GB DDR4MSI GTX1060 6GB
ServerMSI X370 SLI PlusAMD Ryzen 5 1500X16GB DDR4MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor OC
System 3MSI Z390 GodlikeIntel i9 9900K32GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB

Domiel

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #9 on: 21-July-19, 12:23:58 »

I have a new MSI gs65 and a lenovo usb-c pro dock given to me by work. 

CHECK THE COMPATABILITY listing for the dock you buy. The lenovo ones dont work fully with anything non-thinkpad. Power button doesnt control the laptop etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up