Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO - Driver Crash and Black screen after long time Idle  (Read 3348 times)

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

(I'm french, sorry for the grammar)

Current Rig :
i7-6700k (No Overclock)
GPU : MSI GTX 970
RAM : 2x 8gb (16gb) DDR4 2400
MOBO : Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
PSU : EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 (Gold)

Screen :
1st (PRIMARY) : BenQ XL2720Z (display port)
2nd (SECONDARY) : BenQ GW2470 (HDMI)

Updated Rig :
- Removed MSI GTX 970
- Added MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO (Serial : 602-V372-19SB1809015984)
- Everything else is the same

Problematic :
Let’s start with the Basic, with the « Current Rig » no problem at all with the GTX 970. When I mean no problem, I mean literally no problem – no BSOD – no blackscreen. Nothing bad for more than 2 years.
During black Friday, I decided to buy a brand new MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO from Newegg.
The installation went well, no problem on that side. I first had a problem with my screen flickering black during some game, I found it was the display port cable – I change it and the problem was solved. My current Display port cable is NOT Vesa Certified but this will change tomorrow (I bought one). That being said, I don’t think the cable is the source of my problem because I have the same issue when I open an RDP to my PC from outside my house.

The problem : After a LONG idle period – more than 2 hours (Screen needs to be LOCK, according to my testing), on WAKE (like moving my mouse or touching the keyboard) the Video Driver fails and crash (no blue screen). Sometime it recovers by itself, sometimes not and I need to hard restart the PC.

IMPORTANT : I saw that when the Driver recover ONLY the 2nd Screen (HDMI) is showing. The 1st Screen (DisplayPort) doesnt received any signal until I reboot the PC. I should try to unplug and plug the DP Cable next time.

The event log is clear every time : Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Clearly, something makes the driver fails during a specific situation. What exactly, i’m still searching.

What I have done so far :
Try multiple different situation and configuration such as
- Doesn’t lock the session + close screen manually = seems not to have the problem
- LOCK the session + close screen manually = Problem
- Disable Screen Sleep (normally after 10 minutes) + lock the session + close screen manually = currently testing
- Installed different Video Drivers and video configuration = the problem seem still there

So far, I have done additional testing and also uninstall a lot of software. With my testing, at this point it looks like a combination of Screen Sleep options + Lock Screen.

What I will do :
- Fresh Install Windows 10 and install only the minimum (like Google Chrome + some games). I’ll probably leave most of the settings by default to ensure that nothing can interfere.
- I will, maybe, call for an RMA because why not, it might be the card you know.
- After fresh install, and if the problem return, reinstall my old GTX 970 and do some testing again.
- Try additional different configuration with Screen Sleep and Lock Screen

Important note : All PC Sleep/ Hard Drive Sleep / Hibernation has ALWAYS BEEN DISABLED since the first day.

Maybe you guys have some hints or investigation path to help me on this ?

flobelix

• MSIHQ Red Rockets Team Member
  • Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
    • Afterburner New Features Introduction | MSI

If the issue only appears after sleep mode it is most likely no graphics card related but rather mainboard related issue. Might be that compatibility with RTX cards is not fully implemented. Is it at the latest bios?

We can also check if there is an vbios update for the RTX. Add the current vbios saved to file.
MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK (MS-7A90) Bios 1.D0
Core i7 7820X @ 4404.45 MHz (44 * 100.1 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.245v - delidded and using der8auer Skylake-X Direct Die Frame
Corsair H110 Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMR32GX4M4Z3200C16 @ 1602.9 MHz (DDR4-3206), 16-18-18-36-2t, 1.35v
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUKE 11G OC
1TB Crucial MX500 M.2 SSD + 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

If the issue only appears after sleep mode it is most likely no graphics card related but rather mainboard related issue. Might be that compatibility with RTX cards is not fully implemented. Is it at the latest bios?

We can also check if there is an vbios update for the RTX. Add the current vbios saved to file.
Hello,
i'm not 100% sure about the Sleep mode, i'm still investigating and to clarify, it's only SCREEN sleep mode, all PC or Hard Drive sleep is NOT enabled. Could be software related too (will Fresh install my Windows 10)

For the Motherboard Bios : I'm on F7 bios, which is a 2016 bios, SEVERAL other bios update have come after that. I will definitely upgrade this.

For the GPU Bios : How do I export the vbios save file ?

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技

For the Motherboard Bios : I'm on F7 bios, which is a 2016 bios, SEVERAL other bios update have come after that. I will definitely upgrade this.

Yes, that is very important.

For the GPU Bios : How do I export the vbios save file ?

Core i7 7820X @ 4404.45 MHz (44 * 100.1 MHz, fixed all cores), 1.245v - delidded and using der8auer Skylake-X Direct Die Frame
32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair CMR32GX4M4Z3200C16 @ 1602.9 MHz (DDR4-3206), 16-18-18-36-2t, 1.35v
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W Platinum • +12V: 100A • +3.3V: 25A • +5V: 25A
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Thank you very much flobelix.

So today I will send you the vbios File.

Tomorrow : BIOS Upgrade + Windows 10 Fresh install

See you later !

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

:biggthumbsup:
Vbios file from my onedrive because its larger than 600ko (limitation of your forum) : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnCgnF0cp1ephRC_5Jk6-pbEl1sU

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Quick update :

1 - Bios now at the latest version (F22M)
2 - I confirm that the SCREEN SLEEP is not the source of the problem. I still got the Blackscreen after the log in (after a long idle, I was at work) and all Sleep option were disable (everything, screen, HDD, PC, hibernation, all disable)
3 - I disconnect my second screen for the purpose of our testing, now only my Primary BenQ Screen is connected using a VESA certified DisplayPort cable. This one for reference : BenQ XL2720Z 

Tomorrow : Fresh Windows 10 Install + Waiting for the vBios update

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技

Vbios file from my onedrive because its larger than 600ko (limitation of your forum) : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnCgnF0cp1ephRC_5Jk6-pbEl1sU

It is password protected. Simply .rar it with winrar and you can attach it.
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

here, sorry I do not use winrar : http://www.filedropper.com/tu104

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update :

I still got the problem ! (Bios updated to latest Version + Second Screen unplugged )

This time, I learn that if I don't HARD RESET the PC - it doesn't recover. Because I tried to just push once the power button for a "clean shutdown", it was working (I saw the post screen when pushing it again) but after that - in windows - nothing appeared, no lock screen, nothing. I needed to Reset it with the Reset button and after that it was working. I also got a weird error on my screen (produce By the screen, not the PC) saying "Out of range", according to BenQ forum that might be a problem related to the Refresh Rate (this is a 144hz screen). 

Next step : 
1 - Put my screen into 60hz mode instead of 144hz and test it
2 - Fresh Windows install + vBios update if required

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技

You are using the first release vbios version NV372MH.101. Latest is NV372MH.105: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=310009.msg1783773#msg1783773
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

You are using the first release vbios version NV372MH.101. Latest is NV372MH.105: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=310009.msg1783773#msg1783773
Hello,

Update :
1 - vBios updated (thank you), here is my vBios extract using GPU-Z right now for your validation : http://www.filedropper.com/tu104_1
2 - Motherboard Bios Updated to latest version too (f22m)
3 - I found that the Screen Sleep might not be related to my blackscreen problem / I also found that having only one screen connected doesnt solved the problem too
4 - Last night, I made a test with the Refresh rate of my screen (i've put it 60hz instead of 144hz) and I Got no problem at all. Might be a coincidence, might be related. So now that Bios and vBios are updated, i'm ready for my fresh windows 10 install.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技

1 - vBios updated (thank you), here is my vBios extract using GPU-Z right now for your validation : http://www.filedropper.com/tu104_1

It worked. It is at .105
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update :

- Fresh Windows 10 Pro installed complete
- All Latest Drivers installed
- (IN PROGRESS) All Windows 10 update

Software already installed (I will not install more for the purpose of the test) :
- Google Chrome
- Battlenet + Call of duty Black ops 4
- Discord
- Logitech Gaming Software (for my mouse and Headset)

Windows settings remain the same (Lock on session, Screen ONLY will sleep after 10minutes, Only primary screen connected, all other possible sleep option are disabled)

Will update tomorrow !

oliver.heydt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Hey Drix,

i had an somewhat similar issue with my rtx 2080 and my Benq xl2730.
For me the fix was to downgrade the 416.34 . 
The card seems to have issues with 1440p and 144hz using Benq monitors.

If you dont have any luck with your testing maybe give it a go, i mean what do you have to lose at this point? :D

Cheers and good luck

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update :

So, last night was like the "ultimate" test. It was the test after the Fresh Win10 install.
The Result : Success (No Blackscreen, no BSOD, no problem)

I will not install any other software or  do any additional settings for the next 5-6 days to be 100% sure that everything is now working properly.

Will provide update soon.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

:pompom: great!
Well not so great, NEW update :

I think I found the source of the problem. I just had, 5min ago, the mighty Black Screen but it was different. No idle was necessary.
I think Microsoft Remote Desktop and my RTX 2080 (or the driver) doesn't love each others, let me explain.

Before my RTX 2080 era, I have activated Remote Desktop on my pc (built-in in windows 10), change default remote desktop port, add firewall exception, use No-IP to have an automatic dns name, etc..
It was working perfectly, no problem at all.

After the installation of my brand new MSI rtx 2080, I found that connecting to my PC (outside of my house, using my cellphone) was longer than expected but was still working.
Then, this morning. I reconfigure the RDP connection, I lock the session, close my Screen and left. 20min laters I tried the connection, it was working but longer than expected when I was using my GTX 970.
10min later I return to my PC, black screen.

I so try to reconnect to the RDP using my phone, it was working, Windows was running perfectly but was ONLY sending the output trough RDP.

Next Step validation :
- Will do some RDP testing when i'm home to verify if this really reproduce the issue
- After previous testing, If this reproduce the problem, I will completely deactivate the RDP to my pc and let it that way for a couple of days

I'm not an expert on how Microsoft RDP handle GPU output, maybe you guys have an idea ?

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update (sad) :

I first suspect the problem was from the RDP service as mention. I could reproduce the problem but now I confirm that it's not part of the problem.

I deactivated all RDP things (I disable MS RDP + I uninstalled Teamviewer), then I locked the session + close Screen and left for about 2-3hours. Black Screen on return and totally impossible to log-in without Hard Reset the pc.

I have no clue, not at all, I thought the RDP was the problematic but it is not the case...

Everything is updated to latest version, only 5 basic software/games installed... I just have no clue and need your help...

oliver.heydt

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update (Additional Testing): 

Driver used :

With Old : 416.34
With Screen Sleep 15min + RDP Testing : Black Screen problem
All sleep disabled + RDP Testing with Screen CLOSE : Black Screen problem
All sleep disabled + RDP Testing with Screen OPEN : NO PROBLEM
All sleep disabled + IDLE testing : in progress

With Screen Sleep 15min + RDP Testing : Black Screen problem
All sleep disabled + RDP Testing with Screen CLOSE : Black Screen problem
All sleep disabled + RDP Testing with Screen OPEN : in progress
All sleep disabled + IDLE testing + Screen CLOSE : NO PROBLEM

What I Think : the RTX 2080 (maybe the Driver) and my BenQ Screen may have a problem when combine. It's like my Screen just stop receiving input in particular situation, like when closing my screen during/after an RDP connection or when idle for a long period WITH Screen Sleep enabled. It's way too much specific to identify the cause at this point, may be the Screen, may be the RTX, may be the driver, may be all of them at the same time.
For now, I don't see any difference when using old driver but that might change with my tomorrow new test.

My current workaround Fix that is working : Disabled ALL possible Sleep Options + After an RDP connection I need to do a "blind" log-in (i'm not using RDP that much so this workaround is ok for now)

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Update (Important one) :

I think that I've found something very interesting. For now my investigation is DONE.
Two specific situation produce my black Screen (multiple test has been done, i've not written all of them on this thread) :

1 - When i'm doing a Remote Desktop Connection from the outside to my PC : when trying to log-in after the RDP ended the screen is Black (no imput is send to my screen).
Workaround that is working : Do a "blind" log-in. The log-in page is there but not visible so you can still connect to your session. Once logged, the monitor will received imput. Win + P can still work sometime, it seem to "wake" the GPU to send juice during the log-in phase.

2- (Very Specific). PC need to be LOCKED, Screen Sleep need to be ACTIVATED (duration doesn't matters according to my test), and the PC need to be idle for a long period (more than 1hour) + my Monitor are close. With Screen Sleep enabled, Black Screen will be there but not 100% of the time, it seem depends on the idle time before the Wake of the screen by moving my mouse or entering a key on the keyboard.
Workaround that is working : Disabled Sleep Screen in windows (+ all other possible sleep/hibernation option).

Both workaround has been tested with different drivers version and different condition and for me it's seem to work.

So far, i'm not ready to say that is a Drivers problem. This could be a conflit between my whole system and my BenQ screen. 

Will update later if something new is happening.

DrixTopic starter

• CORPORAL

Solution Found :

The source of the problem wasn't the GPU itself (Physically) or my computer rig.
The source was my Primary Screen and/Or the Nvidia Driver, let me explain.

About the monitor :
My main monitor (BenQ XL2720Z) have a known issue with DisplayPort when running on Firmware 1.0. Latest firmware (v4.0) according to BenQ website should solved the issue with the Black Screen.
However, the Legit method to upgrade the firmware version is to sent the Screen to BenQ, unfortunately they are not doing it anymore since 2016.
You can still do it by yourself but this is not easy, you need to use Linux (and know well linux) or use an MSTAR ISP that can cost you many bucks. In the process, you could also brick your screen if something goes bad.

About the Driver :
I found some forum about my specific issue, particularly this one : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1088364/geforce-drivers/-quot-fixed-quot-issue-2400008-reported-in-417-22-not-actually-resolved-benq-144hz-black-screen-/2/
I've been following the thread, and finally Nvidia answered : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091660/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-417-58-released-12-28-18-/
Nvidia provide an Hotfix driver that could directly fixe this kind of problem : https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4758
Description : Black screen when resuming from monitor sleep on some DisplayPort monitors

Why I have done :
The Hotfix drivers was released on December 31st, just a week before that I decided to just order a brand new screen (Asus VG278Q) which is almost identical to my XL2720Z. So I just decided to sell my 2720Z and keep using my new VG278Q. So i'm not ready to say that the Driver was the ultimate solution but I think this is a good thing to start with if some of you have this same problem or other sort of problem using BenQ monitor.

Hope this help, I think we can close the thread !

jamessun

• PRIVATE E-2

You are using the first release vbios version NV372MH.101. Latest is NV372MH.105: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=310009.msg1783773#msg1783773

Hello. 

I also have an MSi RTX 2080 Gaming X videocard, please say BIOS version 1.05 is still the latest, or is there a newer one?

Sorry for my English.

flobelix

• Global Moderator
  • 微星科技

Open your own thread for a vbios request.

:floblock:
Windows 10 Pro
MSI MAG BUNKER Case
Pages: [1]   Go Up