Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MSI X399 MEG Creation very slow and long boot  (Read 3251 times)

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
MSI X399 MEG Creation very slow and long boot
« on: 18-December-18, 01:05:28 »

Hello!
I just finished building my Threadripper 2950x build. I seem to have an issue with the BIOS taking forever to POST. After a cold boot, BIOS takes over 2 minutes to boot and usually hangs in code 92 for the longest time followed by A2 being the next longest wait time. I read that 92 is PCI Bus initialization has started and A2 is IDE Detect. Not sure how this information helps as I already have spent hours reading forums everywhere about people facing slow boot times because of these codes but nothing worked.

Anyways eventually it hits code 0d and boots. From that point, Windows loads within 5 seconds and I am immediately on my login screen and everything is stable. Desktop runs stable and windows 10 event viewer shows no critical errors. From within windows if I soft restart or shutdown and power on immediately, BIOS boots right away and I am on my login screen within 10-15 seconds. Its just this issue with cold boot especially I feel it is time based I think. The longer it stays turned off the higher the chance it would boot slow. I come home from work every night and it always takes atleast 2 minutes to boot.

Please do kindly help as I don't know whether to RMA the board or this is fixable.

My system specs (everything running stock no OC other than RAM running at AMP/XMP profile):

CPU : Threadripper 2950x 
Motherboard: MSI x399 MEG Creation
Ram: GSkill F4 3200C14Q-32GTZRX (their ryzen threadripper compatible kit), I only have installed one stick in slot B2 (furthest right from cpu)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 (temp card from a friend planning on getting a newer RTX card)
Storage: Single M.2 Samsung 970 Pro 512 gb
PSU: EVGA 1000w P2
Monitor: Asus Rog ultrawide PG348Q
BIOS: 1.20
OS: Windows 10 Education 64 bit Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.194)

Please let me know if you need any more information.
I have already tried the following:
- Changed single RAM stick to another slot
- Changed GPU to another 16x slot
- Changed m.2 nvme to another slot
- Held Clear CMOS button in the I/O panel and then updated bios to 1.20 using MFlash
- ran chkdsk and windows disk optimization on the m.2
- booted with no USB device connected other than keyboard mouse and thermaltake fan controller on the internal usb 2.0 port (ethernet jack and MSI's wifi antenna is also connected)

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Error 92 usually is when it is detecting all PCI devices - at least from what I have noticed.

Make sure RAM is in the slot per book - there are different recommendations 2990wx vs 2950x.
Video card should be in PCI slot 4.
Make sure monitor is fully powered on.

I would double check the video card BIOS and make sure it is UEFI enabled. That might cause BIOS to take a while during detection - might need to flash a different vBIOS.

My hunch is on the video card causing issues.

mike.j.kaplan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

I think Video card should be in PCI E4 only for 2990wx. For other cpus, it should be in PCI E1.  (manual page 36). 
(But it seems he already tested GPU in both 16x slots.)

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

indu111, please do a Clear CMOS - disconnect PS?  I have very long boot times on my system (specifications below) and I am told it is because I have RAID enabled.  Are you running RAID?  Have you installed W10?  Do you have a quad channel memory kit?  Please plug in all your memory sticks in the proper slots and see it this helps.  Please let us hear.  I have run my video and my Extender-Aero cards in E1 and E4 and can detect no difference.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,
Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.130, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
Re: MSI X399 MEG Creation very slow and long boot
« Reply #4 on: 18-December-18, 13:54:06 »

Error 92 usually is when it is detecting all PCI devices - at least from what I have noticed.

Make sure RAM is in the slot per book - there are different recommendations 2990wx vs 2950x.
Make sure monitor is fully powered on.

I would double check the video card BIOS and make sure it is UEFI enabled. That might cause BIOS to take a while during detection - might need to flash a different vBIOS.

My hunch is on the video card causing issues.
Oh, I didn't even know there was a thing called vBios specifically running on the graphics card. Given the fact the card is my friend's Nvidia 960, maybe because it is old, it doesn't have UEFI enabled for fast booting? How do you access and change the vBios to enable UEFI?

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #5 on: 18-December-18, 14:03:18 »

I think Video card should be in PCI E4 only for 2990wx. For other cpus, it should be in PCI E1.  (manual page 36).
(But it seems he already tested GPU in both 16x slots.)
Yeah I tried it in both 16x slots top most closest to the cpu and the next 16x according to the manual.
Anything else I can do with the gpu that might help because i'm thinking it is a gpu based thing as well...

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #6 on: 18-December-18, 14:09:48 »

indu111, please do a Clear CMOS - disconnect PS?  I have very long boot times on my system (specifications below) and I am told it is because I have RAID enabled.  Are you running RAID?  Have you installed W10?  Do you have a quad channel memory kit?  Please plug in all your memory sticks in the proper slots and see it this helps.  Please let us hear.  I have run my video and my Extender-Aero cards in E1 and E4 and can detect no difference.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Ok, I will clear CMOS again tonight, take it out and disconnect the board completely from all PSU USB and ethernet connections and leave it for an hour or so and plug it all back in.
If that doesn't help, I will add the other three RAM sticks and boot in quad channel. As of now I only have one RAM stick in the B2 slot?(the one furthest right from the cpu. I will get back to you to see if these two steps help.
I do not have the Extender Aero card plugged in, its just the gpu, single m.2, single ram stick, cpu and front panel io plugged in along with thermaltake fan controller. I will unplug everything else as well, only keep cpu gpu ram and m.2.

I contacted MSI and opened a ticket and their response was pretty generic copy paste like they didn't even read my specific problem and the last line said, if none of this works, then fill an RMA request. -_-

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #7 on: 18-December-18, 14:20:36 »

I dont know if this would help you guys in diagnosing this, but when I tried installing windows 10 64bit education I ran into BSOD everytime windows 10 installer would restart the computer.
I luckily found this post here and it saved the day and I was able to format the m.2 and clear all partitions and then do a clean and smooth windows 10 install.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=309637.0

But given the fact I erased broken installs and cleaned partitions atleast 5 times on the m.2 before doing a clean install, I hope I didn't corrupt the drive somehow, however as I mentioned in the original post, I did run chkdsk and it was fine.

Since 92 hang is PCI Bus initialization starting, I was wondering, we all are blaming the gpu but what if its the initialization of the m.2 as its connected to the board on its m.2 pci slot? I might be wrong, I am just guessing here... I do have a brand new spare 970 evo 512gb m.2 sitting around, do you guys think installing a new windows 10 from scratch on that drive would help?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

indu111, there is a free application called GPU-Z.  It will tell you lots about your video card (including UEFI support) but will not modify it.  For that you will need to contact the manufacturer.  Enjoy, John.
MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on
MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,
Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

Slight correction @John ;)

You can get GPU-Z to see if it is UEFI enabled or not. Then you can go to Techpowerup and get the latest vBIOS for your card and flash it using the nvidia flash tool (also on the same website): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

mike.j.kaplan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS

Slight correction @John ;)

You can get GPU-Z to see if it is UEFI enabled or not. Then you can go to Techpowerup and get the latest vBIOS for your card and flash it using the nvidia flash tool (also on the same website): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
Hey, I have GPU-Z and out of curiosity i wanted to see what you were talking about but I don't see any info on "UEFI enabled" or not ... What parameter am I supposed to look at?
Thanks

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

Here you go, mike.j.kaplan:

" />

Enjoy, John.

mike.j.kaplan

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #12 on: 18-December-18, 19:18:09 »

ahh ok, Thank you.  I use GPU-Z that comes with GPU Tweak II and it doesn't have this info...

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #13 on: 19-December-18, 03:45:11 »

ahh ok, Thank you.  I use GPU-Z that comes with GPU Tweak II and it doesn't have this info...
Go to techpowerup and get the latest GPU-Z and try that out. If no UEFI info, then that's your issue!

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #14 on: 19-December-18, 11:09:49 »

indu111, there is a free application called GPU-Z.  It will tell you lots about your video card (including UEFI support) but will not modify it.  For that you will need to contact the manufacturer.  Enjoy, John.
So I removed the CMOS battery, kept it out for 5 full minutes and reset bios back to 1.20, reseated the GPU to the lowest 16x slot, reconnected all power connectors, changed the vga cable, disconnected all usb headers, front panel headers, everything but the cpu gpu ram ethernet keyboard and mouse. I forgot to time but given the fact my food was microwaving in the background, it definitely took more than 2 minutes to boot. However this time the longest error code was b4. (somehow i kept reading it 64 but it didnt have the top horizontal bar to turn a 'b' into a '6', error 64 seems to be some CPU DXE error or something). Anyways looked b4 up, code means usb hot plug. Not sure what that is but I read online people got it when random usb devices were hooked into the motherboard during boot. I had nothing else plugged in other than keyboard and mouse (I removed internal usb headers as I mentioned).
Display driver got reset doing this, the resolution dropped to 1024x768 is that normal? I installed nvidia drivers again and it jumped back to my ultrawide 3440x1440p

Interestingly however, my ASUS ROG PG348Q monitor had two hdd attached into it but the only wire coming from the monitor to the gpu is the hdmi so idk how that could carry any info about usb devices. I didnt get a chance to boot after so I will do that tonight and keep you guys informed. I still feel it would take a long time to boot.

Next, I installed GPUz to check my vga uefi thing. I was hoping it would be unchecked but sadly it was checked. so I am guessing the vgabios is not stopping the mobo bios from fast booting... only thing left to test is adding all 4 ram sticks.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #15 on: 19-December-18, 11:27:49 »

Slight correction @John ;)

You can get GPU-Z to see if it is UEFI enabled or not. Then you can go to Techpowerup and get the latest vBIOS for your card and flash it using the nvidia flash tool (also on the same website): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
Thanks for the link brother! I looked up vga bios on the techpowerup vgabios collection page. My model is Nvidia EVGA GTX 960. The bios version that GPUz shows is 84.06.14.00.62 When I enter these info here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=EVGA&model=GTX+960&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

I see my bios but on the 4 gb variant. My card memory shows 2gb. If i select 2 gb in the drop down, i still see bunch of bioses.
The one i think must be newer than mine is 84.06.32.00.60 HOWEVER the core and memory speed on that specific model are 1216/1753, but mine in GPUz shows 1279/1753. Now there are bioses that have that core/memory speeds listed as well but every single one of those bioses feel older than my current bios on the card.

I am sorry if it all sounds confusing, I am just baffled myself that so much needs to be done to get a high end 600 dollar mother working. -_-

But here's to not giving up :)

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #16 on: 19-December-18, 14:12:43 »

indul111, I would suggest you communicate with the Video card vendor, get all the details about your specific card and advice on flashing what vBIOS.  If your monitor is like ones I have seen, it simply contains a USB hub, so it should have a socket or cable to attach the monitor to a USB connection on your system.  Are you running RAID?  I want to see your results with all four sticks of memory.  Enjoy, John.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #17 on: 19-December-18, 15:56:10 »

indul111, I would suggest you communicate with the Video card vendor, get all the details about your specific card and advice on flashing what vBIOS.  If your monitor is like ones I have seen, it simply contains a USB hub, so it should have a socket or cable to attach the monitor to a USB connection on your system.  Are you running RAID?  I want to see your results with all four sticks of memory.  Enjoy, John.
I think I might skip the flashing the vBios thing as I said it is my friend's card that i am borrowing. Don't want to brick it just in case that happens. I will be buying an RTX 2080ti in the upcoming days nonetheless, god knows when i will actually get it given the backorder everywhere in canada.
Yes the monitor has a usb hub and comes with a SS usb cable that plugs in a 3.0 port but none of that is connected to my 2950x build. the only wire coming from the monitor is the hdmi. I am thinking of switching to a display port cable that I have lying around somewhere just in case, to see if the hdmi might be an issue of some sort.
Will post the result of the 4 RAM sticks tonight. Thanks john.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #18 on: 20-December-18, 13:52:28 »

Hello everyone!
So in order to tackle the b4 error that hangs the bios the longest right now, I tried changing the usb ports where I was trying to plug in the keyboard and mouse but it had no effect. Also I removed every single usb connector on the motherboard and it still took over 2 minutes. So  i plugged the keyboard mouse back in the 3.1 gen1 type A ports in the back and added 4 sticks of RAM. Same thing. :(

Although one thing i realized that I hadn't installed AMD's chipset drivers until now. Not sure what exactly they do but they were on the motherboard's drivers page. Installed them and will test the setup again tonight.

@john I forgot to answer your question but no I am not running RAID. the bios switch AHCI/RAID is set to AHCI not RAID. What does AHCI do?

Also under OC options in the bios, do you guys think disabling any of the CPU Features options such as IOMMU, Cool and Quiet and other options would affect my case?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

indul111, please get your chip set drivers from the AMD Driver Download site, not the MB vendor.  AHCI is the Advanced Host Controller Interface (close?).  It is the SATA interface - Google for details.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #20 on: 20-December-18, 14:38:38 »

indul111, please get your chip set drivers from the AMD Driver Download site, not the MB vendor.  AHCI is the Advanced Host Controller Interface (close?).  It is the SATA interface - Google for details.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Woops I already downloaded and installed from the MB vendor MSI's page last night. Should I uninstall them tonight and reinstall them from AMD's site?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #21 on: 20-December-18, 16:07:28 »

No big rush, indul111, but yes.  Enjoy, John.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #22 on: 21-December-18, 03:08:46 »

Drivers won't affect long BIOS boot. All of your issues are hardware and not drivers.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #23 on: 21-December-18, 03:10:39 »

Hello everyone!
So in order to tackle the b4 error that hangs the bios the longest right now, I tried changing the usb ports where I was trying to plug in the keyboard and mouse but it had no effect. Also I removed every single usb connector on the motherboard and it still took over 2 minutes. So  i plugged the keyboard mouse back in the 3.1 gen1 type A ports in the back and added 4 sticks of RAM. Same thing. :(

Although one thing i realized that I hadn't installed AMD's chipset drivers until now. Not sure what exactly they do but they were on the motherboard's drivers page. Installed them and will test the setup again tonight.

@john I forgot to answer your question but no I am not running RAID. the bios switch AHCI/RAID is set to AHCI not RAID. What does AHCI do?

Also under OC options in the bios, do you guys think disabling any of the CPU Features options such as IOMMU, Cool and Quiet and other options would affect my case?
I would not touch any of the IOMMU, Cool and Quiet etc. You can try a CMOS reset and load optimized settings and that will be default. I stand by the hardware issue and not drivers.

That B4 error... did you plug in any USB headers on the motherboard itself? Like the case front panel, etc? If so, remove them. Try to leave the motherboard as bare as possible and then slowly add to it.

I'd go like this: motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM (follow manual on position), all necessary power connectors, including 2 8 pin for CPU. I wouldn't even connect any of the front panel buttons and LEDs since motherboard has those buttons. I'd even remove board from case and do it all on a stand. Start small and then slowly add - front panel buttons, LEDs, etc.

AHCI/RAID - unless you plan on building RAID arrays - which I am assuming you won't, I would leave that setting in AHCI mode.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #24 on: 22-December-18, 00:16:07 »

I would not touch any of the IOMMU, Cool and Quiet etc. You can try a CMOS reset and load optimized settings and that will be default. I stand by the hardware issue and not drivers.

That B4 error... did you plug in any USB headers on the motherboard itself? Like the case front panel, etc? If so, remove them. Try to leave the motherboard as bare as possible and then slowly add to it.

I'd go like this: motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM (follow manual on position), all necessary power connectors, including 2 8 pin for CPU. I wouldn't even connect any of the front panel buttons and LEDs since motherboard has those buttons. I'd even remove board from case and do it all on a stand. Start small and then slowly add - front panel buttons, LEDs, etc.

AHCI/RAID - unless you plan on building RAID arrays - which I am assuming you won't, I would leave that setting in AHCI mode.
As I mentioned to john and you are correct in assuming, I wont be using RAID and I am not using RAID, my setting is set to AHCI mode.

I have already done CMOS reset by pressing the switch at the back of the board when all power cables are disconnected and load the system on optimized settings. Same long boot. I have no usb headers connected anywhere, not even the front panel (I turn the board on with the power switch on the board), no case fans, no audio headers. Currently the only things connected to the board are CPU, CPU air cooler, GPU, PSU with 24 pin connector to the board, 2x8pin connectors for cpu, 1 connector for gpu , 1 RAM stick, 1 m.2 storage drive, keyboard and mouse. Same 3-4 minute long boot with the longest hang time on the b4 error. 

Again I just want to confirm that it is b4 and not 64 right? The code display doesn't show a top horizontal bar to make it look like 6 but more like a lowercase b. I guess because an uppercase B would look like an 8.

The moment I see bios splashscreen, windows boots within 10 seconds and I am on the desktop. Never had any BSODs and the event viewer in windows shows 0 critical and 0 regular errors which is good. Its just the bios.

I have a question, when I was installing windows, the bios boot mode was set to UEFI+Legacy mode as it is the default factory setting. I read that after windows is installed changing this setting doesn't really help, that you have to change this setting to UEFI only before installing windows.
Is that true? Should I re-install windows? I haven't done an open bench test, I boot it when its in the case so when I do open bench test next, I could re-install windows but I would need the answer to this question.

TO ANYONE OUT THERE READING THIS, if you boot times are less than a minute from cold boot, could you please kindly post your MSI MEG x399 bios screenshots of all settings so I can match?

Thank you all for sticking with me in this.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #25 on: 22-December-18, 00:23:56 »

indul111, please get your chip set drivers from the AMD Driver Download site, not the MB vendor.  AHCI is the Advanced Host Controller Interface (close?).  It is the SATA interface - Google for details.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Just to update you on this, I updated all drivers from their respective sites. I checked device manager, had some IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers set to Standard SATA AHCI Controller. Upon manually loading the driver, windows detected it and updated it to the latest version. Old one was like the microsoft version from 2006. However there are three of them and as I updated the drivers one by one, their names in device manager changed from Standard SATA Controller to AMD SATA Controller, except for the last one. That still says Standard SATA AHCI Controller for some reason. Even windows says its the latest version however the date says its from 2006. Upon looking the driver name file, its storahci.sys. But it is nowhere to be found online. Everywhere people are either talking about getting BSOD's from this driver or people saying AMD doesn't bundle it anymore, they let users get it from microsoft. Maybe I am reading too much into this but just the fact the name has the word AHCI in it, I feel like it might be integral to the boot process?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #26 on: 23-December-18, 19:27:04 »

indul111, I am not an expert on the SATA drivers, but do know that AMD wants us to run the Microsoft AHCI drivers.  I did not mean for you to update the AHCI drivers, but would not worry about what is there now and leave them be until you do your next W10 install.  MB Vendors tend to offer down level drivers and I encourage users to  get drivers from respective manufacturers.  I did not expect the AMD drivers to help with your specific problem, but I always push users in that direction.  What is your measured boot time now?  Thanks and enjoy, John

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #27 on: 24-December-18, 15:34:42 »

If you have no interest in loading up some sort of Linux or other OSes do not enable the Legacy part in BIOS. All you need is to have Windows 10 WHQL mode enabled and turn off Legacy/CSM features. That should speed up the bios.
IF the system fails to post and beeps after Legacy part is disabled, you'll need to reflash your GPU with a UEFI enabled vBIOS.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #28 on: 24-December-18, 15:35:13 »

And once again, WINDOWS drivers have NOTHING to do with BIOS boot/post time.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #29 on: 25-December-18, 19:27:52 »

If you have no interest in loading up some sort of Linux or other OSes do not enable the Legacy part in BIOS. All you need is to have Windows 10 WHQL mode enabled and turn off Legacy/CSM features. That should speed up the bios.
IF the system fails to post and beeps after Legacy part is disabled, you'll need to reflash your GPU with a UEFI enabled vBIOS.
Hello!
So in my open bench test, I cleared the CMOS again using the Clear CMOS button in the IO port of the motherboard reverting bios to 1.20 cleared partitions on my Samsung 970 pro, did a clean fresh install of windows. Installed all the drivers and changed these settings in BIOS:
Enabled Windows 10 WHQL support.
Disabled Legacy USB Support under USB Configuration.
Disabled all boot devices in the boot priority except for my Samsung 970 PRO.

Currently what's connected to the board, cpu, cpu heat sink and cpu fan header, gpu, 1 ram stick in slot DIMM B2, 24pin motherboard connector, 2x8 pin CPU Connectors, USB Mouse and USB Keyboard, Ultrawide monitor connected to GPU using HDMI, all power cables to PSU which goes into the wall.

Here is a video of all my BIOS settings:

Please do kindly lemme know if there is any BIOS setting that needs to be changed as you mentioned its a BIOS issue not a driver issue.
Also I checked my GPU in GPUZ and it has a checkmark on UEFI so it is UEFI Enabled. Attached screenshots of GPUz.

Also my Event Viewer always has an Event ID 56 error, not sure if it helps.  Attached that too. Thought since it has something to do with power interface, it might help you guys diagnose this.

My boot time is still varies between 5-8 minutes and for the longest time it is stuck on post code 'b4', '9C' '9D' and in the end '0d'.
This NEVER happens on a soft restart once the system is up and running, only when I shut down for an extended period like an hour or more.

I can share video links of me powering it on, if you guys would like to see it.
Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all of you!

lowrider87

• CAPTAIN
« Reply #30 on: 26-December-18, 13:49:13 »

I googled Event ID 56, and most of it involved possible drivers or possible corrupt OS install. Have you installed your OS recently??? The 2 main drivers or reason they mentioned was GPU & Lan drivers.
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU
Cougar Conquer Case 
MSI X370 Carbon Gaming Pro Motherboard
BIOS version 7A32v1L
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ( 2 X 8 gig installed in slot 1 & 3) (P/N-CMW16GX4M2C3000C15)
PNY Anarchy Memory ( 2 X 8 gig installed in slot 2 & 4) (P/N-MD16GK2D4213315AB)
Corsair H100i v2 Hydro CLC
MSI GTX 1070ti Titanium 8GB Graphics 
EVGA 850 BQ PSU
Drive #1 - WD Blue 1T
Seagate Expansion 8 Terabyte drive  
HyperX Alloy FPS keyboard
Corsair 65 Rgb mouse
OC - None
OS - Windows 10 Pro

optical10

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #31 on: 29-December-18, 07:21:27 »

I did a cold boot after an hour or so of unplugging the power and I was able to boot within 20-30 seconds. I normally have default F6 settings enabled and with my memory XMP is on profile 2, no other settings are altered from default as I'm not interested in overclocking a thread ripper with its power and heat generation.
I must admit that I am on the latest BIOS v12 but I can't say that it speeded up my boot times which I consider long compared to my Intel i-9 9900 K rig which boots within 5-10 seconds into windows (With faster boot enabled)! When I was reviewing which thread ripper X399 motherboard to purchase I used the considered best website https://www.anandtech.com/show/13189/the-msi-meg-x399-creation-motherboard-review which I believe mentioned the issue with slow boot but surely that was on the older original BIOS which I presume you steered away from an updated to a newer one?
I have 15 USB devices connected at all times including a monitor USB 3.0 hub with five items connected, a USB 2.0 hub with two items connected. I do seem to remember having to update the AMD chipset to the drivers from AMD latest website drivers rather than MSI drivers for another issue I was having as that seems to be good practice just to go to the manufacturers website drivers rather than the MSI website drivers (As others have suggested here) as I specifically had an issue with Intel Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and network drivers that were resolved when I went and use their driver assistance in Windows 10 that the windows 10 update option in updating drivers didn't find.
Did I read that you have a VGA cable, is that so you can mount your VGA card vertically? If so I've heard that they add a bit of latency/issues on the PCI express lane speed.
The only issue I have is that even though AMD is better with USB connectivity than the Intel chipsets because it uses the CPU to control some of the USB devices I am pushing it with 15 connected devices but this is a racing simulator and VR rig so I have to remove some of the devices if I lose connectivity.
MSI® MEG Creation Bios 1.29, Win10Pro 1803
AMD® 2950x TR4 ThreadRipper
Corsair®  CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz 
ADATA®  ASX8200NP-480GT-C 480 GB M.2 2280 SSD
EVGA®  GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW 3
Corsair®  AX1600i Digital 80 PLUS TITANIUM- PSU
Corsair®  H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Coolermaster® C700P CASE Inverted vertical chimney heat dissipation configuration
CyberPower®  CP1500EPFCLCD-UK Backup UPS PFC Pure Sinewave 1500VA/900W

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #32 on: 29-December-18, 10:16:19 »

Thanks, optical10.  My boot times are much longer and I suspect caused by my RAID.  Please tell us what you are booting from.  BTW, I think you can configure WOL in W10.  Open the 'Change Adapter Options' in Settings 'Network and Internet'.  Double click the NIC you want to change, click Configure and Click Advanced tab.  At the bottom are three Wake Options - see image:
greenshot" />
Enjoy, John.

optical10

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #33 on: 29-December-18, 10:28:34 »

Man alive the web designer of this forum need sacking! Not only can you not reply in Google Chrome browser but when you go to quote any message even in the permissible Microsoft edge browser you're not able to interact below the quoted message, basic coding error. Also there's the issue of not been able to insert images even with the permissible size and format adhered to.
@ jhchris2 Anyway back on point I'm booting from a [font="Segoe UI","Helvetica Neue","Liberation Sans","Nimbus Sans L",Arial,sans-serif]ADATA®  ASX8200NP-480GT-C 480 GB M.2 2280 SSD @indu111 Is on raid either.[/font][/color]
MSI® MEG Creation Bios 1.29, Win10Pro 1803
AMD® 2950x TR4 ThreadRipper
Corsair®  CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz 
ADATA®  ASX8200NP-480GT-C 480 GB M.2 2280 SSD
EVGA®  GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW 3
Corsair®  AX1600i Digital 80 PLUS TITANIUM- PSU
Corsair®  H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Coolermaster® C700P CASE Inverted vertical chimney heat dissipation configuration
CyberPower®  CP1500EPFCLCD-UK Backup UPS PFC Pure Sinewave 1500VA/900W

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #34 on: 29-December-18, 17:20:05 »

I did a cold boot after an hour or so of unplugging the power and I was able to boot within 20-30 seconds. I normally have default F6 settings enabled and with my memory XMP is on profile 2, no other settings are altered from default as I'm not interested in overclocking a thread ripper with its power and heat generation.
I must admit that I am on the latest BIOS v12 but I can't say that it speeded up my boot times which I consider long compared to my Intel i-9 9900 K rig which boots within 5-10 seconds into windows (With faster boot enabled)! When I was reviewing which thread ripper X399 motherboard to purchase I used the considered best website https://www.anandtech.com/show/13189/the-msi-meg-x399-creation-motherboard-review which I believe mentioned the issue with slow boot but surely that was on the older original BIOS which I presume you steered away from an updated to a newer one?
I have 15 USB devices connected at all times including a monitor USB 3.0 hub with five items connected, a USB 2.0 hub with two items connected. I do seem to remember having to update the AMD chipset to the drivers from AMD latest website drivers rather than MSI drivers for another issue I was having as that seems to be good practice just to go to the manufacturers website drivers rather than the MSI website drivers (As others have suggested here) as I specifically had an issue with Intel Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and network drivers that were resolved when I went and use their driver assistance in Windows 10 that the windows 10 update option in updating drivers didn't find.
Did I read that you have a VGA cable, is that so you can mount your VGA card vertically? If so I've heard that they add a bit of latency/issues on the PCI express lane speed.
The only issue I have is that even though AMD is better with USB connectivity than the Intel chipsets because it uses the CPU to control some of the USB devices I am pushing it with 15 connected devices but this is a racing simulator and VR rig so I have to remove some of the devices if I lose connectivity.
Thank you for trying a cold boot. I would die for 20-30 seconds of boot time right now lol. Mine hits an upwards of 6 minutes on cold boots. I read the anandtech review link you posted, they said they had long boot times as well but theirs was also 25-35 seconds. That is a pretty fast boot time from my point of view of friggin 6 minutes. :D
I did download all drivers from the manufacturers website and installed them. Still the same long boot time.
I am not sure which VGA cable you are mentioning? I have the GTX 960 plugged directly into the top most pcie slot and have an hdmi cable going from the card to my Asus Rog PG348q ultrawide monitor.
I have ordered an Asus Strix 2080ti, waiting for it to get delivered, until then gotta work with this guy.
And no I am not using RAID. The SATA mode in Bios is set to AHCI and I am booting off of Samsung 970 pro 512 gb.

If it isn't too much of a hassle, could I request you to record with your phone, a video of your ALL BIOS settings the way I did mine in your post? I want to go menu by menu and set all options to what you have set and see if it helps.
Thank you!

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #35 on: 29-December-18, 20:06:12 »

indu111, have you every tried plugging a USB stick into each and every USB socket on your machine?  If not, you might give it a try.  Enjoy, John.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #36 on: 30-December-18, 00:56:11 »

Hey john! Thanks for the suggestion, do you mean try for example a single usb keyboard in every slot one at a time and see boot times or plug a lot of peripherals into every single usb slot and fill everything up?

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #37 on: 30-December-18, 10:04:44 »

indu111, since the post codes are hanging in USB codes, I suggest you place in each and every USB socket you have a USB stick (memory of any size).  Perhaps as the UEFI scans the USB post and finds a memory it will move on to the next quickly.  Crazy idea but try it if you like - plug in as many as you have and see if it helps.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #38 on: 06-January-19, 21:31:45 »

So I tried the USB thing where I plugged all usb ports, it still took the same amount of time. :(

However this might be really important that I might have skipped over, the VGA EZ Debug light on the motherboard turns on when I power on the pc and stays on the whole time while the bios codes are running and turns off immediately when BIOS splash screen shows up.

It sort of makes sense because I am guessing the graphics card has not been initialized until the display shows the splash screen but I always thought the light meant VGA card not found. 

Can someone please confirm if this behavior is normal and happens on your MSI Meg x399 board as well? Could this cause the bios boot up lag?

FYI: the longest the bios codes hang is still on 9C, b4 and 9D all of which are usb codes. (currently only connected corsair k95 keyboard and logitech g400 mouse)

Waiting for my Asus Rog Strix 2080 ti to show up next week at which point I can rule out the existing GTX 960 is a problem or not.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #39 on: 10-January-19, 11:11:56 »

Second update: I tried booting without my Samsung m.2 970 evo 512gb to root out if the ssd was an issue. It still took over 3 minutes to get to bios screen. Gonna do a test with no ssd and no usb devices plugged to see if it helps as the code it stays stuck on for the longest are still the USB ones 9C b4 and 9D. If not then the last two options are to try with my 2080ti when it arrives and lastly, remove and reinstall the cpu again while checking for bent pins. if neither of these works, considering RMA-ing.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #40 on: 10-January-19, 11:15:26 »

Does anyone think PSU could be an issue? Since the issue only happens on cold boot and not soft boots (or immediate cold boots, meaning if I shutdown completely, disconnect power from the wall and within minutes reconnect and boot, it boots up at regular fast speeds). My PSU is an EVGA 1000w p2 unit so it is a well reviewed high end flagship product...chances of it messing it up seem low to me.
Might there be a thing like PSU can't provide enough power when booting after 1+ hours of inactivity or something? Just firing arrows in the blind here.

tonmoy

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #41 on: 10-January-19, 12:32:43 »

I would suggest you to try - https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php for once ... though I am not facing the same issue as you but I got system clock issue here and can't solve it by trying everything :cry:

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT

yeah, i'd skip the driver booster if i were you.

it does make sense that some component doesn't do well when cold and after it warms up all works well.
you could easily buy a new PSU at Fry's or whatnot to test and return it if things are the same.  i would test a new PSU. if not, i would RMA the board. might be a bad component that is causing issues.

jhchris2

• FIRST LIEUTENANT
« Reply #43 on: 10-January-19, 12:59:01 »

indu111, I guess anyting is possible, but I doubt the PS should be suspect.  Two questions you may have answered:  Have you talked to MSI Support (phone has worked OK for me) and have you considered an RMA for your MB?  Enjoy, John.

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #44 on: 10-January-19, 18:18:24 »

I would suggest you to try - https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php for once ... though I am not facing the same issue as you but I got system clock issue here and can't solve it by trying everything :cry:
In the beginning of the thread I used to think it could have been drivers as well but since I removed the m.2 drive with the OS on it and now that it has no storage media at all, it still takes long to get to bios screen which makes me think it has to be hardware thing...I will check it out though, thank you!

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #45 on: 10-January-19, 18:21:24 »

yeah, i'd skip the driver booster if i were you.

it does make sense that some component doesn't do well when cold and after it warms up all works well.
you could easily buy a new PSU at Fry's or whatnot to test and return it if things are the same.  i would test a new PSU. if not, i would RMA the board. might be a bad component that is causing issues.
Yeah I think so too, I will be going to Staples and ask them about their opened box refund policy and buy a psu test it and return. I will do that after my graphics card arrives so I can root out GPU is not the issue given how the VGA EZ Debug light comes on. Can anyone with this board confirm that this led comes on for you as well?

indu111Topic starter

• SERGEANT
« Reply #46 on: 10-January-19, 18:24:58 »

indu111, I guess anyting is possible, but I doubt the PS should be suspect.  Two questions you may have answered:  Have you talked to MSI Support (phone has worked OK for me) and have you considered an RMA for your MB?  Enjoy, John.
I did contact them onlien through their ticketing portal. The tech guy just told me what b4 9c and 9d codes meant when i already knew it. I replied back asking a detailed explaination but no reponse yet. I will call them I guess if they are available on weekends. And yes if nothing works and I think it is the MB then I will rma is. i have till 1st february to do so. The only reason I am taking rma as the last option is because frankly it came all the way from Cali. Getting another board to get here to Toronto will take forever.

islane

• PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
« Reply #47 on: 12-January-19, 21:20:48 »

indu111, I guess anyting is possible, but I doubt the PS should be suspect.  Two questions you may have answered:  Have you talked to MSI Support (phone has worked OK for me) and have you considered an RMA for your MB?  Enjoy, John.

I agree, PS should not cause this issue, if removing and reinstalling the cpu does not improve the situation you should look into an RMA.

bogdi1988

• SECOND LIEUTENANT
« Reply #48 on: 14-January-19, 10:52:12 »

I don't know if you saw the other thread here... try disabling Fast Startup in Windows and see if that changes anything.

angryphoton

• PRIVATE E-2
« Reply #49 on: 23-January-19, 22:01:38 »

(But it seems he already tested GPU in both 16x slots.
I just looked at page 36 of my mSI X399 MEG printed manual, there is no mention anywhere of the 2990wx or placing the GPU in PCIe slot 4. However, once I downloaded the manual online from MSi, it did say that it should be in PCIe 4 for 2990wx (manual was version 1.1). Kinda sucks that one has to find out this way, as I bet a lot of people won't figure this out on their own if they don't frequent reading posts the forums, etc.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up