Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Post – Boot Loop Issue  (Read 88 times)

verbatimiumTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
No Post – Boot Loop Issue
« on: 03-January-19, 09:36:57 »

Computer build:
 MSI Z170A Gaming M7
Intel I7 6700k
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x 8gb sticks)
EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU

A month ago I left my computer on in the afternoon. When I came back in the evening, I tried to wake my computer up from sleep but could not (even though it looked like the computer was still on). So I powered down and tried to turn the computer back on, and the computer was doing an endless boot loop, where it would turn on for less than a second, the code “00” would briefly flash on the motherboard, and then it would shutoff immediately. It would do this in an endless loop. No sounds, and I cannot get into BIOS or to post.

Here is a link to a video of the problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37kqnpw2wnyn0t0/20180911_221538.mp4?dl=0

I initially tried to trouble shoot by doing the following, non of which fixed the issue:
1)     Isolated the system so that only the CPU, 1 DIMM stick, and PSU (motherboard and CPU power connected) and one CPU fan is connected to the motherboard.
2)     Tried swapping out the DIMM sticks, and tried each one in all 4 slots.
3)     Removed the motherboard from the case to see whether the case was shorting the system.
4)     Reseated my CPU and carefully looked for bent pins (could not find any).
5)     Flashed CMOS using jumper and removing the battery overnight.
6)     I also noted that removing power to the CPU would prevent the boot from looping like it does in the video (it only did it once, and then it completely stayed off).

Thinking it was the motherboard, I RMAed it and received a replacement one: MSI Z170A MPower Gaming Titanium Motherboard. I rebuilt my PC and again with this replacement motherboard but encountered the EXACT same problem - ~1sec boot loop, no sounds, no post, “00” error code briefly flashes. However, this replacement motherboard has additional lights called EZ Debug LEDs, and the only light that flashes white is the one for “CPU is not detected or fail”. Once again, I isolated the system so that only the CPU, 1 DIMM stick, and PSU (motherboard and CPU power connected) and one CPU fan, performed the same trouble shooting steps as above, and could not fix the issue. I also tried removing the entire heat sink to see if it was shorting out the system, but no change.

Here are a couple of pics of everything stripped (with the new motherboard):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipsjxdw9162awoy/20190103_085130.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/byrj7tf9ut0y7fv/20190103_085351.jpg?dl=0

Here is a video showing the exact same problem with the replacement motherboard:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oavqz1irnd2v6a/20190103_085419.mp4?dl=0

There are 3 lights that flash on this motherboard during the boot loop: 1) Red light at the bottom which indicates that slow boot is enabled. 2) The white light in the top right which is a EZ Debug LED and indicates “CPU is not detected or fail”. 3) The debug code “00” which after doing some research, there is no code for 00, but there is for “0D” or “D0”, the latter of which is a code for “CPU initialization error”.

Here are my thoughts of the possibilities of what is causing this:
1)     CPU failed – it seems like everything is pointing towards this, especially since the CPU was tried in 2 different motherboards now (my initial one, and the replacement one)
2)     2 DIMM sticks failing at the same time so swapping each stick does not work. Highly unlikely? And the DRAM EZ Debug LED does not turn on.
3)     The PSU failed? I have not tried to swap the PSU as I am currently trying to source a working one to test. Could this be a possibly? I tried a spare CPU cable, and also both CPU1 and CPU2 slots on the PSU to power the CPU.
4)     I received a faulty replacement motherboard that has the EXACT same issue as my initial one. Seems highly unlikely to me.

After all this I was wondering what your suggestions/thoughts are? I am leaning towards the CPU failing but have read that this very rarely happens. My CPU is on 3 year warranty ending in May 2019 so I still should be able to RMA it. Is this the next step I should do, or do you suspect it might be the PSU (or anything else)?

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry for the long post, but tried to add as much detail as possible.

pandaz

• CAPTAIN
Re: No Post – Boot Loop Issue
« Reply #1 on: 07-January-19, 22:02:33 »

hard to really say which components might cause it, when using a certain system for long time and met weird issue, 
what I normally will do is to reinstall the windows to make sure it's not some certain software or utility causing this issue.
Even sometimes, system will be slowed after using for months or years but reinstalling could somehow fixed the issue.

gameplayer

• STAFF SERGEANT
« Reply #2 on: 11-January-19, 17:47:41 »

Computer build:
 MSI Z170A Gaming M7
Intel I7 6700k
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x 8gb sticks)
EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU

A month ago I left my computer on in the afternoon. When I came back in the evening, I tried to wake my computer up from sleep but could not (even though it looked like the computer was still on). So I powered down and tried to turn the computer back on, and the computer was doing an endless boot loop, where it would turn on for less than a second, the code “00” would briefly flash on the motherboard, and then it would shutoff immediately. It would do this in an endless loop. No sounds, and I cannot get into BIOS or to post.

Here is a link to a video of the problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/37kqnpw2wnyn0t0/20180911_221538.mp4?dl=0

I initially tried to trouble shoot by doing the following, non of which fixed the issue:
1)Isolated the system so that only the CPU, 1 DIMM stick, and PSU (motherboard and CPU power connected) and one CPU fan is connected to the motherboard.
2)Tried swapping out the DIMM sticks, and tried each one in all 4 slots.
3)Removed the motherboard from the case to see whether the case was shorting the system.
4)Reseated my CPU and carefully looked for bent pins (could not find any).
5)Flashed CMOS using jumper and removing the battery overnight.
6)I also noted that removing power to the CPU would prevent the boot from looping like it does in the video (it only did it once, and then it completely stayed off).

Thinking it was the motherboard, I RMAed it and received a replacement one: MSI Z170A MPower Gaming Titanium Motherboard. I rebuilt my PC and again with this replacement motherboard but encountered the EXACT same problem - ~1sec boot loop, no sounds, no post, “00” error code briefly flashes. However, this replacement motherboard has additional lights called EZ Debug LEDs, and the only light that flashes white is the one for “CPU is not detected or fail”. Once again, I isolated the system so that only the CPU, 1 DIMM stick, and PSU (motherboard and CPU power connected) and one CPU fan, performed the same trouble shooting steps as above, and could not fix the issue. I also tried removing the entire heat sink to see if it was shorting out the system, but no change.

Here are a couple of pics of everything stripped (with the new motherboard):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipsjxdw9162awoy/20190103_085130.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/byrj7tf9ut0y7fv/20190103_085351.jpg?dl=0

Here is a video showing the exact same problem with the replacement motherboard:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oavqz1irnd2v6a/20190103_085419.mp4?dl=0

There are 3 lights that flash on this motherboard during the boot loop: 1) Red light at the bottom which indicates that slow boot is enabled. 2) The white light in the top right which is a EZ Debug LED and indicates “CPU is not detected or fail”. 3) The debug code “00” which after doing some research, there is no code for 00, but there is for “0D” or “D0”, the latter of which is a code for “CPU initialization error”.

Here are my thoughts of the possibilities of what is causing this:
1)CPU failed – it seems like everything is pointing towards this, especially since the CPU was tried in 2 different motherboards now (my initial one, and the replacement one)
2)2 DIMM sticks failing at the same time so swapping each stick does not work. Highly unlikely? And the DRAM EZ Debug LED does not turn on.
3)The PSU failed? I have not tried to swap the PSU as I am currently trying to source a working one to test. Could this be a possibly? I tried a spare CPU cable, and also both CPU1 and CPU2 slots on the PSU to power the CPU.
4)I received a faulty replacement motherboard that has the EXACT same issue as my initial one. Seems highly unlikely to me.

After all this I was wondering what your suggestions/thoughts are? I am leaning towards the CPU failing but have read that this very rarely happens. My CPU is on 3 year warranty ending in May 2019 so I still should be able to RMA it. Is this the next step I should do, or do you suspect it might be the PSU (or anything else)?

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry for the long post, but tried to add as much detail as possible.
I would like to join this discussion as I am having a similar problem with my Z170A Gaming M7 MB and similar specs.
MB: Z170A Gaming M7; BIOS E7976IMS.1L0 (Latest)  |  CPU: Intel Skylake 6700k @4.3GHz  | GPU: MSI R9 390 8G  | RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengence 3000MHz  | PSU: Thermeltake Toughpower Gold 750W  | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 Nvme 250GB + Sandisk SSD 250GB  |  iiyama 4k 40inch monitor via DisplayPort  |  OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (1809)

rbleroy91

• MAJOR GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #3 on: 11-January-19, 18:13:06 »

Hello,
Have you something plugged in the Flashback+ USB port? If yes, retry with this port free.
My CPU is on 3 year warranty ending in May 2019 so I still should be able to RMA it.
After all checks you have done, I would RMA the CPU.
I think that next suspect is PSU. Perhaps you could try with another before to RMA CPU.
Good luck,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1803)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 960 PRO 2TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse
Pages: [1]   Go Up