Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with WOL function on z370 gaming plus  (Read 539 times)

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL
Problem with WOL function on z370 gaming plus
« on: 10-January-19, 05:09:30 »

Hi all,
I need to configure the WOL on my computer, I have followed several guides on the internet but I haven't yet arrived at a real solution.

this is my bios configuration:

this is my network card configuration:

this is my windows configuration:

another info:
-my pc is configured with a static IP address, set on both the PC and the router.
-I opened port 9 in tcp and udp both on the router (in forwarding on the pc) and on the windows firewall.
-I have set up the app of the phone is the PC with the address lan (if I'm connected to the wifi), both with the address wan (for 4g).
-I downloaded a wake up monitor to test the operation and with both the wan and lan profiles, the input is received.

Currently it works as pc on sleep (s3), both with lan and wan profile, but not on shutdown (s5).
What could be missing? there is something wrong?

p.s.
I found an anomaly in the bios (at least I think it's an anomaly), the voice wake on lan is N/A on the NIC configuration:

this item is not clickable and looking on the internet or in the motherboard manual, I didn't find anything to get there.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR

Hello,
Very good description of the problem! :biggthumbsup:
1/ Please load (again) the last bios version following exactly that:
- Download >>Bios V1.60<<.
- Take an USB pen having no more than 16GB (physical size) with only one partition.
   Verify it with CHKDSK.
- Unzip it and copy the file "E7B61IMS.160" on the root of the USB pen.
- Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press <F6>, confirm, press <F10> and confirm.
  Pc should restart.
- Enter again in Bios Setup.
- Plug the USB pen into one 2.0 port of the back panel (those below PS/2).
- Click on M-Flash then select the file on the USB pen.
- M-Flash should start; be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn).
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Power on and enter again in Bios Setup
  . set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabeld"
  . set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup \ Resume By PCI-E Device" = "Enabeld"
  . goto "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan" and click on its value to see if you can enable it
  . change other values you had before the bios update.
=> Result?
2/ If previous did not resolve, start Windows, open device manager then the I219-V properties. Do you something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" under the Power Management tab?
If not, download and install >>Intel LAN 23.5.1 for Windows 10<<.
Hoping it shall help,
:hat tip:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL
Re: Problem with WOL function on z370 gaming plus
« Reply #2 on: 10-January-19, 07:23:33 »

Hello, Very good description of the problem! :biggthumbsup: 1/ Please load (again) the last bios version following exactly that: - Download >>Bios V1.60<<. - Take an USB pen having no more than 16GB (physical size) with only one partition. Verify it with CHKDSK. - Unzip it and copy the file "E7B61IMS.160" on the root of the USB pen. - Boot and enter in Bios Setup. Press , confirm, press  and confirm. Pc should restart. - Enter again in Bios Setup. - Plug the USB pen into one 2.0 port of the back panel (those below PS/2). - Click on M-Flash then select the file on the USB pen. - M-Flash should start; be cautious to not abort it before the end (can last up to 5mn). - Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off. - Power on and enter again in Bios Setup . set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabeld" . set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup \ Resume By PCI-E Device" = "Enabeld" . goto "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan" and click on its value to see if you can enable it . change other values you had before the bios update. => Result? 2/ If previous did not resolve, start Windows, open device manager then the I219-V properties. Do you something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" under the Power Management tab? If not, download and install >>Intel LAN 23.5.1 for Windows 10<<. Hoping it shall help, :hat tip:
Thanks for the answer!
I followed your instructions, I checked the pendrive (2gb) and updated the bios accordingly (it mounted the 150 version, first), I followed the whole guide, activating whql support for win10 and "resume by pci-e device" but on intel (r) ethernet connection L219-V was still the "wake on lan" as N/A, then I wanted to restart anyway to try and I noticed that it would not load windows anymore, just deactivating win10 whql support is back to work, probably the disk where I installed win10 is not uefi.
Can this be the problem?
Moreover,
I only activated "resume by pci-e device" in the bios as indicated, I shouldn't have activated "resume by onboard lan" instead? I use the motherboard's integrated network card, I don't have any network card on the PCI slots.
Anyway i have downloaded the drivers that u provide and re-check all voices reguard WOL and are all activated, but its the same situation.

Krank

• FIRST LIEUTENANT

You need to covert the OS drive from MBR to GPT .

You can follow this tutorial at TenForums on how to convert Windows from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without data loss:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81502-convert-windows-10-legacy-bios-uefi-without-data-loss.html

Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the commands here below:

This command is "Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform only the disk validation steps and report whether the disk is eligible for conversion."
mbr2gpt /validate /allowfullOS

This command "Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform the disk validation and to proceed with the conversion if all validation tests pass."
mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS

M/Board: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon (A.91 BIOS)(1x Corsair ML120 Pro fan for VRM cooling)
CPU: Intel 8700K 5GHz@1.312V Adaptive (Delidded)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Duke Gaming 8GB (OC'd & Undervolted + Shunt Mod)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury (2400MHz) 8GB Kit (OC'd to 3200MHz CL16-18-18-36-312-2T 1.360V)
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB(OS), Samsung 860 Evo 250GB(Games, Potable programs, Batch scripts)
HDD: 2x Western Digital Blue 1TB(Temp folders, Data backup)
Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro(Modified) with 6x Corsair ML120 Pro fans(Blade Gap Mod) with 6x shrouds.
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: Raidmax Alpha Prime (Intake Mod)(3x Corsair ML120 Pro intake fans, 1x Corsair ML120 Pro exhaust fan, 1x 80mm GPU exhaust fan)
Screen: Samsung 43" LCD TV

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #4 on: 10-January-19, 10:18:00 »

probably the disk where I installed win10 is not uefi.
Can this be the problem?
Yes, your disk is MBR initialized (Legacy boot) and not GPT (UEFI boot)! But it is not your current problem.
Have fully installed the 23.5.1 version (drivers+Intel ProSet extensions) or only updated the drivers? Do you see something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" under one tab?
:think:
MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium (Bios 1.61)  –  Windows 7-10 Pro x64 (1809)  –  i7-6850K + BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 + Corsair Vengeance LPX Series DDR4 3466MHz 4x16Go + MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G + SSD Samsung, 1x 850 PRO 512GB (SATA) [Boot+OS drive] & 1x 970 PRO 1TB (NVMe) + HD SATAIII Seagate Barracuda, 7x 1TB & 1x 3TB + LG BR R/W + BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W 80PLUS Platinum +  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 + HyperX Alloy Elite keyboard + HyperX Pulsefire FPS mouse

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL

You need to covert the OS drive from MBR to GPT . You can follow this tutorial at TenForums on how to convert Windows from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without data loss: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81502-convert-windows-10-legacy-bios-uefi-without-data-loss.html Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the commands here below: This command is "Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform only the disk validation steps and report whether the disk is eligible for conversion." mbr2gpt /validate /allowfullOS This command "Instructs MBR2GPT.exe to perform the disk validation and to proceed with the conversion if all validation tests pass." mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS

Thank you so much!! now I finally saw the fastboot of the motherboard with the msi logo instead of windows, awesome ^^

Yes, your disk is MBR initialized (Legacy boot) and not GPT (UEFI boot)! But it is not your current problem. After you have installed the 23.5.1 driver version from Intel, you have not something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" under the Power Management tab? :think:

After those drivers yes, now the properties of the network card have changed, but I have still activated the entries as shown and it still doesn't work and the wake on lan bios option is still N/A.

here it's written:
-Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
-Allow this device to wake the computer
-Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer
I think u mean these, right?
p.s. i have fully installed all, drivers and proset software

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #6 on: 10-January-19, 10:42:28 »

And in the Advanced tab, where you have a list with many entries, something like"Enable WOL on S5 power off state" or "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" or  "Wake-on-LAN after shutdown" or "Wake From Shutdown" (...)?

Please, with this drivers version, can you wake-up from sleep?

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #7 on: 10-January-19, 10:59:32 »

And in the Advanced tab, where you have a list with many entries, something like"Enable WOL on S5 power off state" or "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" or "Wake-on-LAN after shutdown" or "Wake From Shutdown" (...)? Please, with this drivers version, can you wake-up from sleep? :think:
Among the advanced settings the only things about it that i find are these 2:

at least so it seems to me, anyway are all activated.
Nothing that includes the word "wake up" or S5" or "shutdown" appear..
I don't know if ARP offload, NS offload or PME or something another are useful.
However, trying now even in sleep doesn't work but i notived that before, a computer on sleep or on shutdown, have a led of the network card blinked yellow and the other was either turned off or was red(orange), instead of when i changed the driver, i always see the flashing yellow but the other one is green. idk if its useful

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #8 on: 10-January-19, 16:37:55 »

when i changed the driver, i always see the flashing yellow but the other one is green
1/You see flashing yellow and green LEDs after a Sleep, do you see them also but after a Shutdown?
2/ You have just converted the OS disk as GPT, therefore you can now set in bios "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabled". This beeing done, can you change now "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan"?
3/ If previous did not resolved, uninstall current (right-click on the "...I219-V" entry in device manager, then clic on "Uninstall" and choose "Remove Files") then install the previous version (I hope you have kept it). Now, in "Properties" (Advanced or Power Management tabs), do you see something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" or "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" or "Wake-on-LAN after shutdown" or "Wake From Shutdown" (...)?
Have a good day,

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL
« Reply #9 on: 11-January-19, 03:50:35 »

1/You see flashing yellow and green LEDs after a Sleep, do you see them also but after a Shutdown? :think: 2/ You have just converted the OS disk as GPT, therefore you can now set in bios "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabled". This beeing done, can you change now "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan"? 3/ If previous did not resolved, uninstall current (right-click on the "...I219-V" entry in device manager, then clic on "Uninstall" and choose "Remove Files") then install the previous version (I hope you have kept it). Now, in "Properties" (Advanced or Power Management tabs), do you see something like "Enable WOL on S5 power off state" or "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" or "Wake-on-LAN after shutdown" or "Wake From Shutdown" (...)? Have a good day, :hat tip:
1. After reinstalling the old version of the drivers (the latest version present in the driver support on the MSI site of my motherboard), whether the PC is in s3 state or in s5 state, only the yellow LED flashes.
2. Even after enabling the Windows 10 WHQL support function, Wake On Lan is still N/A.
3. Looking on the internet about the wake on lan drivers in Italian, I understand what are the voices, those in the screen of the first post:
this is my network card configuration:  
Reinstalling the previous version, i'm returned that interface that as seen from the central photo, there is a section dedicated to wake on lan, one of the active items is just "activates on the magic package from shutdown state" (in the screenshot i wrote pagic instead of magic and sutdown instead of shutdown :c, sorry), i think this is the voice that interests us, right?

However trying again im returned to the point of before, on the bios as i said it is still N/A, and trying, from S3 the computer turns on, from S5 doesn't work.

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #10 on: 11-January-19, 09:23:21 »

Hello,
1/ Check "Answer to ARP..." and "Answer the NS..." in the drivers' properties (see in your upper photos).
=> WOL after Sleep? After Shutdown?
2/ If previous did not resolve, do a clear CMOS:
- Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off.
- Keep the "Clear CMOS" button on the back panel (the upper button) pressed during at least 20s.
- Plug the power cord and power on.
- You would see a question.
   Enter in bios setup, press <F6>, confirm, set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabled", press <F10>, confirm.
=> This beeing done, can you change now "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan"?
Hoping it shall help,

flynns82Topic starter

• CORPORAL

Hello, 1/ Check "Answer to ARP..." and "Answer the NS..." in the drivers' properties (see in your upper photos). => WOL after Sleep? After Shutdown? 2/ If previous did not resolve, do a clear CMOS: - Power off PSU, unplug the power cord and wait that all mobo's leds light off. - Keep the "Clear CMOS" button on the back panel (the upper button) pressed during at least 20s. - Plug the power cord and power on. - You would see a question. Enter in bios setup, press , confirm, set "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration \ Windows 10 WHQL Support" = "Enabled", press , confirm. => This beeing done, can you change now "SETTINGS \ Advanced \ Intel ( R ) Ethernet Connection I219-V\ Wake On Lan"? Hoping it shall help, :hat tip:

I was waiting for the arrival of a router that i ordered to be cascaded to the ISP modem, just mounted the new router, the wol function from the state s5 started to run without any problems!
However the "wake on lan" on the bios continue to see N/A, but if it works anyway it's okay so hahaha (pff vodafone station...)
Thanks so much anyway rbleroy91 for all your support!

rbleroy91

• GENERAL
  • RBL_FR
« Reply #12 on: 12-January-19, 04:56:50 »

Good news, happy for you! :pompom: 
Friendly yours,
Pages: [1]   Go Up