Close

Register Now!

To Get More Info and Daily Reward.

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manualling Updating Graphics Driver  (Read 83 times)

jpatersonTopic starter

• PRIVATE E-2
Manualling Updating Graphics Driver
« on: 11-January-19, 18:02:45 »

So what's the deal with upgrading my graphics driver for the GS65? I have an MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF-053 and I'd like to run a newer version of the nvidia driver. The version on MSI is 398.35 but Nvidia has 417.58.

I've tried to download the correct nvidia driver directly from nvidia but when I go to install it says incompatible graphics card. But when I go to MSI and download the older driver listed it works just fine.

Any insight as to why I can't use the newer driver would be appreciated.

pennknig

• CAPTAIN
Re: Manualling Updating Graphics Driver
« Reply #1 on: 11-January-19, 20:44:37 »

I have an MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF-053 and I'd like to run a newer version of the nvidia driver.  417.58.
Any insight as to why I can't use the newer driver would be appreciated.
The issue is with Windows installing the Nvidia driver automatically from the Device Manager, its considered 'Protected'.

• Download your particular Nvidia for your notebook, to your desktop: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
  • Download DDU to your desktop: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
  • Remove LAN, Turn off WiFi. Make sure the notebook cant connect to the net after a reboot.
  • Delete all Nvidia from the 'Programs and Features'.
  • Shutdown, ReBoot.
  • Delete Nvidia from the 'Device Manager'.
  • Shutdown, ReBoot.
  • Run DDU from Safe Mode, or Not .... Select 'Clean and ReStart' & 'Device Type-GPU' (I did not run from Safe Mode and it worked for me).
  • Install Nvidia.
  • Shutdown, ReBoot.
  • Turn on WiFi, LAN.
  • Update Nividia.
  • Shutdown, ReBoot.
You can update directly from GeForce Experience now, but some will suggest that this process be repeated each time.
You can always rerun the DDU if you experience issues with an update directly from the GeForce Experience app.
Keep DDU handy and Nvidia bookmarked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up